Official 2008 USMLE/COMLEX Study Plans Discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Bagel

so cheap and juicy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How about we use this thread to talk about when we're planning on taking Step 1 and how we're planning on studying for it. I'll start --

USMLE 1 date: June 16

Goal: 230+

Where I'm at: I'm doing Kaplan Qbank now because I won the 3 month deal here in December and am doing some USMLERx questions. I've also worked through some of the BSS books.

I currently suck at anatomy, biochem, pharm and immunology. I'll start the hard core studying for path and pharm in April/May because we have comprehensive finals for those in mid-May. Then I'm planning to hit everything else until my test. USMLEWorld will be my main qbank then.

Books
First Aid
Kaplan Qbook
Robbins Qbook
Board Simulator Series
High Yield Anatomy and might use BRS for questions, charts, highlighted info
High Yield Neuroanatomy
BRS Brain and Behavioral Science
RR Biochemistry
CMMRS
High Yield Immunology (maybe?)
BRS Pharm (maybe?)
BRS Phys
BRS Path
RR Path
High Yield Molecular Bio

Members don't see this ad.

Nice idea Doctor Bagel!

USMLE: June 2nd (I want a good score so I'm probably going to push it back to July since we get out May 14 and start summer classes June 9)

COMLEX: June 9th

Where I'm at: Not far....at all. Our school is grades (A-F), so I can't really slack off during classes. I'm taking the Kaplan course and so far we've gone over pharmacology.

Weakpoints: biochem, molecular biology, immunology, and anatomy

Books:
FA
RR Path & Goljan audio
Kaplan series for subjects
Lilly's cardio to brush up on cardio physiology
Costanzo physiology for reference
High Yield Molecular Biology (old version)
charts out of CMMRS
USMLE World (starting in March)
Kaplan Q-Bank
Robbin's Review Q-book

Test: July 11th

Resources:
Lipp. biochem
High Yield Molecular Biology
Kaplan Histology/Anatomy/Embryo/Neuro = the videos
HY Histo
Read MMRS 2x
HY Immuno
Kaplan Pharm, FA Pharm
FA Physio
Stars Path, RR Goljan
Kaplan Behv.

Qs:
Robbins
Webpath
Kaplan Q-book
Qbank
UW x2
NBMEs

Taking the the CSBE on April 15th - 10wks before exam to get a baseline before i start studying fulltime. I will keep updating this till I get my final score.

Target: 250+

Test date : 5/29/08

Hardcore studying from 4/15 to 5/29 :

Books : FA 2008 , RR path , Brs Physio , Kaplan Physio
Question Banks : UW , Kaplan ( hope I can finish both in 6 weeks )
Question Book: Robbins Qbook

Goal : Whatever God grants me through my dedicated review ..( actually anything over 220 ) ..

NBME to be taken on 4/15 , 5/1 and 5/14

GOd help us all :luck::love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Test 6/10/08

Resources:

FA
Lippincott's Biochem
RR Pathology
BRS Physiology
HY Cell & Molecular
CMMRS
Brenner Pharm Cards
pathguy.com
webpath
youtube histology series
HY Immunology (?)
HY Neuroanatomy (?)

Kaplan Qbank (won 3 month)
USMLE World
Robbins Qbook

Where am I now? Read about half of Lippincott's Biochem, a third of FA, and have completed about 900 Qbank questions. Biochem was very weak, quickly getting better.

How about we use this thread to talk about when we're planning on taking Step 1 and how we're planning on studying for it. I'll start --

USMLE 1 date: June 16

Where I'm at: I'm doing Kaplan Qbank now because I won the 3 month deal here in December and am doing some USMLERx questions. I've also worked through some of the BSS books.

I currently suck at anatomy, biochem, pharm and immunology. I'll start the hard core studying for path and pharm in April/May because we have comprehensive finals for those in mid-May. Then I'm planning to hit everything else until my test. USMLEWorld will be my main qbank then.

Books
First Aid
Kaplan Qbook
Robbins Qbook
Board Simulator Series
High Yield Anatomy and might use BRS for questions, charts, highlighted info
High Yield Neuroanatomy
BRS Brain and Behavioral Science
RR Biochemistry
CMMRS
High Yield Immunology (maybe?)
BRS Pharm (maybe?)
BRS Phys
BRS Path
RR Path
High Yield Molecular Bio

Great thread Doctor Bagel!

I am contemplating on trying to do both the COMLEX and USMLE, but the thought of it simply overwhelms me. So far I started going over CV Pharmacology, Pathology.

If I do decide to take the USMLE as well, I am hoping for about 215. I simply cannot see myself getting higher than this.

So far my books are these:

RR Goljan (Just excellent)
RR Pharmacology
BRS Pharmacology (I got it for free, but so far I haven't opened it)
Pharmacology Recall (It was free, but I forgot a lot of drugs and need more info)
Lippincott Pharmacology (I have been using this a lot)
First Aid 2008 and also a used 2006
Step Up to First Aid (Also for free, but havent opened it)
Robbin's workbook with all those questions in it. (It has excellent questions)
Microbiology Made Ridiculosuly Simple
Physiology Made Ridiculosuly Simple
Secrets to USMLE Step 1

KaplanQuestionBook (I am thinking of a big purple book. I don't have this yet)

And this list is woefully insufficient. I have not yet begun studying for immunology, anatomy, or biochem. Now I heard that COMLEX is beggining to get rid of biochemistry and replace it with more micro and drugs? Whereas USMLE has signifigantly more biochem and genetics

Computer Programs and Computer Stuff:

USMLEWorld - I love it so far. Great questions from here. So far I have done too much and still have 89% of questions not used.
EXAM Masters - I didn't know I could get it for free until just yesterday someone told me. I feel so embarrased!

KaplanQbank - my friends have it. But I don't have it, so everyone is trying to peer pressure me into getting it.

Test dates:

COMLEX June 20th at Morgantown, WVU.
USMLE - I don't know if I will take this yet. If I do, then maybe June 18 - 24 at Morgantown, WVU.

I am going back and pulling up any old notes in my book to help myself too.

Test date : 5/29/08

Hardcore studying from 4/15 to 5/29 :

Books : FA 2008 , RR path , Brs Physio , Kaplan Physio
Question Banks : UW , Kaplan ( hope I can finish both in 6 weeks )
Question Book: Robbins Qbook

Goal : Whatever God grants me through my dedicated review ..( actually anything over 220 ) ..

NBME to be taken on 4/15 , 5/1 and 5/14

GOd help us all :luck::love:

Whoa!

USMLE in May! You must be a dedicated, hard working, individual!:luck::luck::hardy:

Whoa!

USMLE in May! You must be a dedicated, hard working, individual!:luck::luck::hardy:

Not really . Based on advice given to me and after reading a study which showed that 6 weeks is optimal prepartion for the usmle , I go with this plan .
It doesn't make sense to do QBANK three months before the test . I'd work very hard for those 6 weeks covering all of QBANK and UW . Solidify with FA , Brs phsyio and RR path . I'm actually reading RR path at the moment so that will lighten the load . I have been told from trusted friends that FA + UW + Goljan is on the money for the test . Qbank is just there for extra practice and Robbins Qbook is icing on the cake for path .

We'll see . The 6 week schedule is tested , tried and proven . I'm at a caribbean medical school so at the moment I am in Miami doing a rotation semester - very hectic with running around , doing papers etc . 6 Weeks from 4/15 to 5/29 is all I am taking . We do have until 6/30 but I don't think I could handle the torure of an extra 4 weeks ..

Thanks for the wishes ..good luck to us all :luck::love:

JeusDO - I am placing all my faith in Jesus to carry me through this :cool:

USMLE=June 21
COMLEX=June 25
Last day of school: May 12

I plan on taking the NBME closer to exam date and if its nowhere close to my goal I prob won't take USMLE and just try and rock the COMLEX.

So far I have read the bacteria section of MMRS, and the micro section of FA. With every system I go through FA and try to reinforce the things I learn in class, and also BRS Phys and Path. I'm doing some light read of Kaplan Biochem and I think its a pretty good book. Other than that some qbank and qbook.

FA
High Yield Molecular Bio
HY Neuro + Made easy book
BRS Path
BRS Phys
Kaplan Lecture Notes= Biochem, Bhr, +/- Path or Mirco
Robins Qbook and Webpath

USMLE WORLD

My main thing is that I don't want to use alot of books b/c I feel it'll just stress me out so I'm trying to keep it simple and high yeild.

Oh yeah and the Green OMM book

USMLE Date: Last week of May

Score: 250+

Resources:
Kaplan Qbank (free from SDN)
BRS Physiology
BRS Pathology
Goljan Audio and PDFs
CMMRS
BRS Behavioral Science
Kaplan Biochemistry
Kaplan Immunology
Pharmacology Roadmap for the Boards
Robbins Review of Pathology
First Aid 2006
USMLE World (for last month)

I created this schedule/guide last year for the COMLEX & USMLE and a lot of my classmates and other SDN'ers seemed to think it was helpful. I recently edited it and added a FAQ section at the end that should clarify most of the common q's people asked me about it. Go kick some a$$ on the boards.

Attachments

• USMLE & COMLEX Guide.doc
    92 KB · Views: 30,888
USMLE - 6/16/08
Goal - 230+

I'll have 5 weeks after school gets out. Haven't done a whole lot of devoted boards studying as of yet - focusing on class mostly.

FA 2007
RR path and goljan audio
BRS physio
katzung and trevor pharm
HY anat
HY embryo
HY histo
HY cell and molecular bio
HY neuroanatomy
CMMRS and Lange Immuno/Micro Review
RR biochem

Qbank - got the free 3 mo, have done about 13% only with class topics, thinking about not renewing it
BSS
UWorld
Qbook
Clinical Vignettes for USMLE Step 1
Robbins Review - have done along w/ class thru MS2 will prob go thru 1 more time
NBMEs

I created this schedule/guide last year for the COMLEX & USMLE and a lot of my classmates and other SDN'ers seemed to think it was helpful. I recently edited it and added a FAQ section at the end that should clarify most of the common q's people asked me about it. Go kick some a$$ on the boards.

Guys, listen to this man.

He's one of PCOM's best and brightest. No joke.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for putting that together! :thumbup:

You did pretty much the same thing I did. Except I was less organized about it. I also only got through a few chapters of review of path and only had time for 45% of UW. I wish my school had given more time so I could have done the whole thing.

Overall, I think he used good resources and this is a good plan for anyone serious about doing well.

test date july[havent taken the actual dates yet]
my resources
FA
kap notes for all subjects
robbins for patho
lippincotts for genetics
UW for 2 months
nbme at end of first readin n one month before exams
i started with robbins yesterday..so far have done only half of cell injury:scared::confused:...
wow! u guys have grt plans out thr...
GL:thumbup:

Test Date 6/20

I will have 6 weeks from the end of finals until I take the test.

Kaplan Home Study Series
First Aid
USMLEworld Qbank

We'll see what happens...

Test Date 6/20

I will have 6 weeks from the end of finals until I take the test.

Kaplan Home Study Series
First Aid
USMLEworld Qbank

We'll see what happens...

excellent plan. just see if you can squeeze the 5 NBME practice tests in (even if that compromises finishing USMLEWorld).

STOP WASTING YOUR MONEY.

262/99 <---------- AND I AM DUMB (21 MCAT SCORE):idea:

ALL I USED WAS FIRST AID (MEMORIZED IT COLD, WENT THROUGH IT 5 TIMES)

USMLE WORLD QUESTIONS 1x

and

GOLJAN RR or PDFs 2x

DONT WASTE YOUR FRICKIN MONEY on all these books lol.

YOU WILL END UP LIKE MOST KIDS WASTING TOO MUCH TIME GOING OVER EACH BOOK ONLY ONCE INSTEAD OF THE HIGH YIELD INFO MULTIPLE TIMES AND DO POORLY.

HEED THESE WORDS.:eek:

STOP WASTING YOUR MONEY.

262/99 <---------- AND I AM DUMB (21 MCAT SCORE):idea:

ALL I USED WAS FIRST AID (MEMORIZED IT COLD, WENT THROUGH IT 5 TIMES)

USMLE WORLD QUESTIONS 1x

and

GOLJAN RR or PDFs 2x

DONT WASTE YOUR FRICKIN MONEY on all these books lol.

YOU WILL END UP LIKE MOST KIDS WASTING TOO MUCH TIME GOING OVER EACH BOOK ONLY ONCE INSTEAD OF THE HIGH YIELD INFO MULTIPLE TIMES AND DO POORLY.

HEED THESE WORDS.:eek:

Congrats and thanks for the advice. However, what's with this post: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=6076788#post6076788

You say you're at Mayo for your residency, but you're only a 3rd year. What's the deal?

Caught red-handed. I wonder how many listened to this guy and would have failed step 1. Good catch!

As much as he maybe playing around with the Mayo thingie , I do think his point is on the money - 1st aid , uw , rr . I have been told the same by real people who took the test .

As much as he maybe playing around with the Mayo thingie , I do think his point is on the money - 1st aid , uw , rr . I have been told the same by real people who took the test .

I can't disagree there...it's just disconcerting when you're unsure as to when someone is being honest or telling a bold face lie. Especially, when they're tossing out advice on how to get a 260+.

That being said, UWorld, FA, and Goljan will make up the majority of my study preparation. I'll also be using Goljan's RR Biochem, since I'm particularly weak in that subject and occasionally referencing to other books for further explanation of items I don't understand.

And NBMEs, of course.

hey blue,

I nailed 650ish on the comlex by:

First Aid x 5
Step Up x 2
Goljan RR path x 3
First Aid case studies x 2

Don't bother with kaplan phys/path/omm/or biochem, although the kaplan micro had some great tables and was overall pretty good for micro.

From what everyone else had told me and my experience, those who knew one/few sources REALLY well did way better than people who used like 20 different sources and only went over them 1x.

gl !

3rd yr at DMU, no mention of USMLE

I can't disagree there...it's just disconcerting when you're unsure as to when someone is being honest or telling a bold face lie. Especially, when they're tossing out advice on how to get a 260+.

That being said, UWorld, FA, and Goljan will make up the majority of my study preparation. I'll also be using Goljan's RR Biochem, since I'm particularly weak in that subject and occasionally referencing to other books for further explanation of items I don't understand.

And NBMEs, of course.

Sounds like a pretty watertight plan you got there . I'm pretty doing the same EXCEPT for too much reliance on NBME. I have to take the test on May 31st - no ifs and buts . NBME may make me very nervous - so just doing two nbmes will be sufficient for me .. one on april 19 and the other may 7th ..at that point will focus on my weaker areas for 3 weeks with cursory review of other areas via first aid . Nbmes can be good for some , for others it can create a source of stress and unwanted nervous tension . The way I look at it is that I hit PHARM ( FA ) , MICRO ( FA ) , PHYSIO ( BRS ) and PATH ( RR ) pretty pretty hard then I guarnteed to pass the step . :)

USLME 1st....date not set

COMLEX: June 14

I am banking on the following books.....

FA 2008
RR Path & Goljian Audios
RR Biochem to supplement FA
BRS Physio
HY Molecular Bio (1999 edition)
Pharm Flashcards

Questions:

UWorld
FA Q & A--> seems that this tests your knowledge in FA and is probably a good way of solidifying the info
FA Step 1 Cases--> Again, solidify FA
Robbins QBook

I bought the Kaplan series off ebay for a cheap price but as I talk to more people and read here on SDN, it seems that the gold is in FA. I am also taking a course which I think it pretty sharp, but I am going to basically use FA to solidify what I learn that day in the course. It is finally nice to have cut down my books to a small amount instead of having 10 sources. I just hope I get to all those questions.

Definitely listen to TAUS he is the man.....He is like an idol at PCOM.

Question for you guys.....

FA has a path section for each organ system.....Since we are all doing RR Path is it necessary to cover these pages?

Let me know

MINT additions to that plan bro.....I am going to follow your advice and just try to consolidate down to FA. I am starting to realize that all my other sources are only becoming to much. I started looking at FA today b/c we did Immuno in BBC and it hit everything we hit in the course. They claim thats all we need to know.

Also, you are right on target with the understanding then memorizing. I just sat down and tried to understand the complement pathways and the differentiation of T Cells.....Helps a lot instead of memorizing all that little detail crap. You the man.....I should of never questioned the "almighty Taus"

HAHA....you are a riot

MINT additions to that plan bro.....I am going to follow your advice and just try to consolidate down to FA. I am starting to realize that all my other sources are only becoming to much. I started looking at FA today b/c we did Immuno in BBC and it hit everything we hit in the course. They claim thats all we need to know.

Also, you are right on target with the understanding then memorizing. I just sat down and tried to understand the complement pathways and the differentiation of T Cells.....Helps a lot instead of memorizing all that little detail crap. You the man.....I should of never questioned the "almighty Taus"

HAHA....you are a riot

Shut up bro!

LOL just kidding :laugh:

How's it going man? listen is that BBC any good?

Congrats and thanks for the advice. However, what's with this post: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=6076788#post6076788

You say you're at Mayo for your residency, but you're only a 3rd year. What's the deal?

thats my brothers post, my login stays on permanently when he used my laptop.

THANKS FOR TRYING TO PLAY DETECTIVE THOUGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenflowcarter
hey blue,

First Aid x 5
Step Up x 2
Goljan RR path x 3

Don't bother with kaplan phys/path/omm/or biochem, although the kaplan micro had some great tables and was overall pretty good for micro.

From what everyone else had told me and my experience, those who knew one/few sources REALLY well did way better than people who used like 20 different sources and only went over them 1x.

gl !

------------------------------------------
GOSH, IS IT POSSIBLE I TOOK THE USMLE IN THE FALL? GOOD JOB, I KNOW YOU HAVE BEEN DILIGENTLY STUDYING YOUR OBGYN LECTURES INSTEAD OF TROLLING ON FORUMS AND CAUSING DRAMA.

thats my brothers post, my login stays on permanently when he used my laptop.

THANKS FOR TRYING TO PLAY DETECTIVE THOUGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenflowcarter
hey blue,

First Aid x 5
Step Up x 2
Goljan RR path x 3

gl !

------------------------------------------
GOSH, IS IT POSSIBLE I TOOK THE USMLE IN THE FALL? GOOD JOB, I KNOW YOU HAVE BEEN DILIGENTLY STUDYING YOUR OBGYN LECTURES INSTEAD OF TROLLING ON FORUMS AND CAUSING DRAMA.

It really didn't even require me to play detective, since I remembered that post from awhile back when I thought it was incredibly strange. I figured this was as good of a time as any to get an explanation. Congratulations on the scores, honestly.

On a related side note, why does anyone let other people post under their screen name?? Personally, that would bother the hell out of me, since they would end up completely misrepresenting me.

Shut up bro!

LOL just kidding :laugh:

How's it going man? listen is that BBC any good?

It is going well tool bag....haha....Anyway, yea I am pretty impressed so far. Their books are good. However, I like to use first aid to really cut it down and to emphasize whats in FA.....I mean everyone swears by it.

The teacher is great to

USMLE: june 16th
COMLEX: june 20th

goal: 230 dont even know what a good comlex score is..lol

using:

RR path
BRS physio
RR biochem
RR micro/immuno
FA
HY molec/ HY neuroanatomy
robbins review of path
kaplan qbank
USMLE world

Ive actually been annotating in the RR path book since i read that so much..should i start annotating in the FA?

Question for you guys.....

FA has a path section for each organ system.....Since we are all doing RR Path is it necessary to cover these pages?

Let me know

Ive actually been annotating in the RR path book since i read that so much..should i start annotating in the FA?

To make sure you don't miss anything and to use your time efficiently....here's what I'd recommend:

After going through a chapter in RR Path for the first time, quickly flip through the corresponding FA section and search for and highlight any path details that were explicitly not mentioned in RR (you'll find a few here and there)....... next time you study that subject you can just study RR and will only need to spend a couple minutes going over the highlighted points in FA that weren't in RR

I think this is a good way to cover Path and Molecular...as they are the two topics that need the most supplementing from outside sources.

OK, my schedule may well be different to you guys as I am at a British school in my first year of clinical rotations.

Usual list of books..

Areas of weakness: biochem, immuno and basically stuff that wouldn't fit into a systems review because at my school this was covered in years 1, 2 and 3. I am now in year 4 (out of 6).

Test date: TBA but probably late August

My basic plan involves going through Goljan audio right now whilst I'm busy with school and placements, trying to make the all important integrations in my head. Then I think I'm going to pretty much do something very similar to the study schedule that was posted as a .doc file for questions, I'm going to use:

Robbins review, Lange Q&A, UW, I also plan to get score95 because its subscription is not a monthly thing, its far inferior to UW, USMLErx and Kaplan but for questions to start with I don't think that it will do any harm.

Being a IMG I'm facing an uphill battle for this exam purely because of the way my curriculum is set out. So I plan to start relatively early and hope for the best!

Hey Taus,

I really appreciate your study guide it really seems doable. I had a question though. I know you said that the length of studying is relative to each individual. Well I have final exams for my second quarter next week and I plan on hitting up Boards studying hardcore during spring break. I am taking USMLE on June 7th and COMLEX on June 10th. Is approximately 3 months enough time to follow your plan?

Also coming from a D.O. school our curriculum wasn't heavy in Molecular Biology. I purchased High Yield CMB and it doesn't seem too difficult. Should I watch kaplan videos also to fully understand? (This question is for anyone)

Take Care

In regards to My books...

First Aid: OBVIOUSLY!

RR pathology: I really like its detail but for some reason I feel the BRS path really sticks better than RR...does anyone else feel the same? If so, then do you think it is still worth sticking with RR? I've listend to some Goljan Audio along with the book and he is great in some parts and not so much in others. For example for GI he just discusses a bunch of slides. That is impossible to follow with the book. Also, I think he doesn't even have immunopathology and some other topics that are in the book. Path just doesn't seem like it is sticking. WHAT DO I DO!

BRS Physio: Nice and to the point.

Immuno: I felt my school didn't teach too well, although I understand the concepts as they are mentioned in our 2nd year courses. I got the Micro&Immuno Lange book...but 90 pages seems like ALOT for immuno...is it really necessary? BORING!

MicroCards: I have CMMRS as well...I plan on drawing the pics on to each card. I had some other friends say they just took ALL the info in LANGE microbiology (the medically important organisms section) and drew pics representing the info. They all did REALLY well. I plan on breaking up the cards into 7 packs and do a pack per day. Rinse and repeat.

Pharm: FA. I hear FA is enough and I would like to believe that. I think pharm is all about memorization. Fortunately, Pharm was pretty straight forward (alotta pysio review) in school so I think FA should be good.

Biochem: I really like Kaplan. Should I just skip the Molecular Section?

Neuro: I like HY neuro.

Behavioral: HY. Do you think this is enough for biostats or should I read the Biostats book aswell separately?

USMLE WORLD!

End of classes: May 16

USMLE 1 date: June 20th

Goal: >240 (realistically I'll be happy with anything above 230)

I haven't officially started studying yet, but I've been reading the FA, BRS path/physio, and RR path chapters for my classes.

Books:

First Aid 2008
RR Path (like other poster said, it sucks big time in GI, so BRS is good to complement this one)
BRS Path
Lippincott Biochem (not sure if i'll read it, it puts me to sleep)
Robbins (ultra-old edition)
BRS Anatomy (I don't plan on reading the whole thing, just have it from MSI)
BRS Biochem (Bought it MSI so I just have it sitting around)
BRS Physiology
CMMRS (probably not, may be overkill)
RR Biochemistry (probably not, we'll see)
HY Neuro
BRS Behavioral (no, I have the big book, that'll do)
Some immunology book (not sure which one yet-I have "How the immune system works" but it may be too superficial)
HY Molec Bio '99
BSS
UCV Complete series

For questions:
Robbins Qbook (already started it, along with classes)
UW - for the last month of prep
Webpath (using it with classes too)
Kaplan QBook (not sure yet)
Kaplan QBank - check!
and IV (still thinking about it- probably not)
NMBE exams - a must

Goljan audio: listening to it sporadically
Web resources

I have no plan/schedule yet but hopefully will have one here soon, and then I can update :D

Final Exam for Second-Year: May 9

USMLE 1 scheduled date: June 21

Goal: 240

I have started doing a little review (mostly for path) as we go along. Have been perusing FA in "free time," as well as reviewing relevant parts of BRS phys while our path/pharm course is moving along at full-speed. I feel more than a bit overwhelmed by this whole process. After my last exam in May, I will have 6 full weeks in which to study - I probably won't get too much substantial review in before that time, but I plan to use my Spring Break to review HY Behavioral Sci & CMB, as well as do my first FULL read-through of FA (not just picking and choosing topics).
I should add that one of my major weaknesses is Pharm. I'm really freaking out about this subject. I plan to use Lippincott Pharm (since I liked the Biochem book so much), but I'm still flipping out.

Resources (my book/resource list is relatively short compared to many others, because I am the type of person who becomes easily overwhelmed, frustrated, and terrified if there are more resources lying around than I can possibly handle in a reasonable amount of time)
First Aid 2008
High Yield: Neuro, Behavioral Science, CMB, I have one or 2 other random ones lying around
RR Path: I CANNOT PLUG THIS BOOK ENOUGH. SOLID GOLD.
BRS Physio
CMMRS + MicroCards
Pharmcards + Lippincott Pharm
Lippincott Biochem
UW - 3 month subscription beginning in March

Any need/recommendations for a Qbook? (Kaplan, Robbins, or otherwise?) Do I need one, or is UW adequate?
Does anybody else feel like they don't have enough time to do adequate review during their courses? I'm already very behind, and running to catch up. When are we supposed to study for Step 1? :(

Hey Taus,

I really appreciate your study guide it really seems doable. I had a question though. I know you said that the length of studying is relative to each individual. Well I have final exams for my second quarter next week and I plan on hitting up Boards studying hardcore during spring break. I am taking USMLE on June 7th and COMLEX on June 10th. Is approximately 3 months enough time to follow your plan?

Also coming from a D.O. school our curriculum wasn't heavy in Molecular Biology. I purchased High Yield CMB and it doesn't seem too difficult. Should I watch kaplan videos also to fully understand? (This question is for anyone)

Take Care

3 mo is more then enough

HY CMB + whats in FA has all you need if you can apply the concepts....so I guess only watch the videos if you're not understanding the basics

I have cousins in ENT, they smoked the USMLE's basically relying on 1st aid, uw, rr..this is what they told me and also adviced me not to underestimate the importance of retaining the knowledge you have incorporated. Your knowledge from a billion books will convolute everything in your head when you take the test. I am not saying stick to this formula..i will be taking my usmle's next year but i been going through bunch of books already to see which one will ultimately help me. I have to say though that i am probably going to stick with these 3 and probably add costanzo's physiology to the mix for reference and qbank for additional practise. In all honesty..my goal is for a solid high 230's so i will be happier to just know those 3 books inside out. Taus put together a nice plan of study..which is not bad at all, before everyone starts their venture just try to figure out what best fits your studying habits. I prefer fewer books more repetition...good luck!!

I'm taking the "mixed" approach... one time thoroughly through the subject specific books (BRS phys, lipp bio, CMMRS, Lange Immuno, HY CMB, etc.) reading for understanding and retention and to make notes into FA and/or flashcards of "rote memorization" stuff (a lot of micro, most of pharm). Once I feel like I am comfortable with everything I have read it will be FA + RR path + questions from there on.

Well, I say one time through, but that is when the serious ~6 weeks of studying starts. I'm reading through biochem and other stuff now at a quicker pace, aiming primarily for understanding and not retention/memorization. i.e., I don't care if I remember the specifics of pathways now, I just want to make sure I already have a good grasp of "the big picture" when I start serious prep. I don't feel particularly comfortable in every subject from courses alone, so I thought I needed a little "pre-study" work.

Last final May 16th-ish

Step on 20 Jun

Goal: 250. :laugh:

Reality: within 1 SD of the mean. From the bottom.

Using:
Reading for class from Robbins.
Robbins Qbook.
RR path.
FA.
Roadmap pharm.
CMMRS.
BRS phys.
Procrastinator's Handbook.

Left to buy:
RR biochem.
HY behav sci? I suck at that crap...
3 month QBank.
Some NBME's.

Guys,

I am not kissing a$$ to Taus but listen to him.....They are building a statue on the grounds of PCOM with him and a First Aid book in hand.