Dermatology Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottieGirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there, I am currently a Pre-Vet student, but was hoping to get some feedback on my own pet. Her case has stumped 3 veterinarians (excellent ones! btw). Maggie is a 9 year old Scottish terrier. Starting at age 3 she displayed pododermatitis of the front paws only (she chewed them). She was treated for environmental allergies and put on a limited anitigen diet. For the next 3 years she was continued to be treated seasonally for the same problem. At 6 yrs old a lesion on her chest appeared. She was treated with a steroid. Shortly after her front paws began to bleed. A cytology showed demodex. She was given 4 mitaban dips. This cycle of demodex outbreaks has continued since then, with out a specific pattern. They occur at all times of the year. She has normal blood work, is negative for Cushings. A full allergy panel was completed, and she is allergic to nothing.

Her current treatment includes using a follicular flushing shampoo and soaking paws with betadine. She is on oral anti-biotics, immunosupplements and a high quality diet. I have also tried alternative treatments, including neem oil and lavender oil. She continues to chew her paws, they swell, burst and slowly heal.

I appreciate any one who read through this entire thing! I would truly appreciate any suggestions or ideas! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, but to be brutally honest if her case has stumped 3 "excellent" veterinarians, what makes you think veterinary students (you suppose, because really we could all be making it up) in the unknown land of the internet who have never seen your animal would be able to distance diagnose her? This is not the place for medical advice and is, in fact, prohibited.

Status
Not open for further replies.