2009-2010 University at Buffalo (SUNY) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

None

LOR REQUIREMENT

1. Required is either a Pre-Health Committee Letter, OR three letters of recommendation with at least one letter from a science professor. Letters from TA's, Instructors, etc. should be countersigned by the professor, if possible. (MSTP applicants are encouraged to forward a letter of recommendation from a research mentor/advisor as well.)
  2. Applicants with Graduate School Education
    If a significant number of years have transpired since your undergraduate education, you have the option of excluding undergraduate letters but must supply us with letters from three (3) of your graduate school professors.

If you choose to continue using undergraduate recommendations and you:
    1. are just beginning your Masters or Ph.D. program, no additional letters are required.
    2. have completed at least one year of a Masters or Ph.D. program, one (1) recommendation from a professor in your program is required.
    3. have completed two (2) or more years. Two (2) letters from graduate professors are required.
  3. Substitutions
    Applicants unable to secure the required letters of recommendation should advise this Office immediately in writing. State the problem and set forth the credentials (name and title) of the people who will submit letters for you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I called and a nice man told me that the secondary is a questionnaire. He said some students said that it took them 3.28 sec. to fill it out. good luck to everyone.

did u call every school u applied to? lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, Buffalo! I want some buffalo wings.

why yes i did. :D just to make sure.

lol i did too

and i made a frown face on my paper next to every school that had a not-so-nice phone answer-er person

and a smiley face next to the ones that were nice. hahahaa

lol i did too

and i made a frown face on my paper next to every school that had a not-so-nice phone answer-er person

and a smiley face next to the ones that were nice. hahahaa

:thumbup: great minds think alike. some school reps were just plain rude!

I. Letters of Recommendation: All Applicants

1. Required is either a Pre-Health Committee Letter, OR three letters of recommendation with at least one letter from a science professor. Letters from TA’s, Instructors, etc. should be countersigned by the professor, if possible. (MSTP applicants are encouraged to forward a letter of recommendation from a research mentor/advisor as well.)
  2. Applicants with Graduate School Education
    If a significant number of years have transpired since your undergraduate education, you have the option of excluding undergraduate letters but must supply us with letters from three (3) of your graduate school professors.

If you choose to continue using undergraduate recommendations and you:
    1. are just beginning your Masters or Ph.D. program, no additional letters are required.
    2. have completed at least one year of a Masters or Ph.D. program, one (1) recommendation from a professor in your program is required.
    3. have completed two (2) or more years. Two (2) letters from graduate professors are required.
  3. Substitutions
    Applicants unable to secure the required letters of recommendation should advise this Office immediately in writing. State the problem and set forth the credentials (name and title) of the people who will submit letters for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is. However, the link comes with a personalized password. So it's best you wait for it to be sent to you.
man i submitted early and yet im not getting any of these..:(. I hope i dont get flooded in 2 weeks when i have no time to even do these things

blah... I didn't get one yet either :(

blah... I didn't get one yet either :(
:(...dont they know how many we applied to fml...we need these now not all at once!! :laugh:. Imagine next week..i bet both our emails are gonna have like 30 new emails all on one day...:scared:

This note is for FAPpers:

When we receive the secondary link, fill out the questionnaire and when we are directed to the online payment, DO NOT PAY!!! Just log out and these rest will be taken care of. This is what the admissions rep told me. good luck! :luck:

:(...dont they know how many we applied to fml...we need these now not all at once!! :laugh:. Imagine next week..i bet both our emails are gonna have like 30 new emails all on one day...:scared:
oh no! I want them NOW :D

I want this secondary. Why the hell do I always get one after elijah gets his?:mad:

I want this secondary. Why the hell do I always get one after elijah gets his?:mad:
lol well maybe they release secondaries by in state vs OOS or something...being that we are both in cali, in the UC system, and i did apply a few days before you...it makes sense:shrug:? Did u get the mcw secondary blue not sure if you even applied)?

lol well maybe they release secondaries by in state vs OOS or something...being that we are both in cali, in the UC system, and i did apply a few days before you...it makes sense:shrug:? Did u get the mcw secondary blue not sure if you even applied)?

nah, I didn't apply there.

Another one down.....too bad they aren't all like this :D
yah me too :). Though i did find that question "Do you realize that a felony will preclude you from getting a license" kinda odd...

yah me too :). Though i did find that question "Do you realize that a felony will preclude you from getting a license" kinda odd...

Yeah, almost like a trick question. The response from most people on most of the questions would be "NO", but then they go and throw in a yes?? :laugh:

Yeah, almost like a trick question. The response from most people on most of the questions would be "NO", but then they go and throw in a yes?? :laugh:
serious, i put no then reading over it again...i was like wait a minute..:smuggrin:

Got the email.:D
dude we always get secondaries at the same time....its gotta be a cali vs out of state thing....

serious, i put no then reading over it again...i was like wait a minute..:smuggrin:

dude we always get secondaries at the same time....its gotta be a cali vs out of state thing....

Yeah, I always get em like 6AM.

"Do you realize that conviction of a felony may preclude licensure in some states?"

This question isn't asking if I've been convicted of a felony and realize that it might be hard to become licensed correct? I don't really understand why they would put this question in there if it doesn't apply to me.

Just got mine...I would love to keep getting essay-free secondaries!! All the easy ones will be done soon though unfortunately...

should i put "NO" for this one?

oops...just checked my spam box and it was in there. :)

should i put "NO" for this one?
I put yes. becuase its obvious that serious crimes prevent licensure? I dont know doesnt matter either way id assume...most people will read it as "have you committed a felnoy" like I did and put no.

Can I put "Okay" for that question?:rolleyes:

I have a confusing question:

So I received my committee letter today in interfolio. I'm still waiting on 3 other separate letter of recommendations from my PI/professors. When Amcas receives the committee letter and it is sent to med schools, will they mark my application as complete even though I have indicated that 3 more letters will be coming eventually? (since committee letters usually meet the minimal LOR requirements at most schools).

If not, would it be smart to remove the other 3 letters on AMCAS and then re add them after AMCAS sends out the committee letter?

I just don't want my application to sit around unread until all my letters are received (which might be for a few more weeks).

do you guys know if three letters is max? or can we send more?

I put no. Was I supposed to put yes? I was so confused by this question.:confused:

I put no. Was I supposed to put yes? I was so confused by this question.:confused:
idk...this question was weird...i dont think it matters what you put. Its not asking if you had a felnoy just if u knew that it would prevent licensure. If you didnt put yes, well after reading the statement you now know :p

Did anyone else pay the application fee and complete the secondary but it says you didn't on the application status site? I'm sure it just takes some time to update and I'm being neurotic but hey you know.

Did anyone else pay the application fee and complete the secondary but it says you didn't on the application status site? I'm sure it just takes some time to update and I'm being neurotic but hey you know.
mine still says i didnt complete 2ndary or pay...just wait give it a few weeks. They are getting flooded with apps and stuff right now and still probably trying to put together the 09 class. If after 2 weeks or so it still says that...maybe time to call then.

mine still says i didnt complete 2ndary or pay...just wait give it a few weeks. They are getting flooded with apps and stuff right now and still probably trying to put together the 09 class. If after 2 weeks or so it still says that...maybe time to call then.

That's what I figured just wanted to make sure others had the same thing. Thanks. When you are applying with a 29 MCAT and a 3.54 GPA like me you need as much advantage as possible.

That's what I figured just wanted to make sure others had the same thing. Thanks. When you are applying with a 29 MCAT and a 3.54 GPA like me you need as much advantage as possible.
im in the same boat with you as the mcat dude...i know what you mean :(...hopefully someone gives us a shot at interviews..:)

im in the same boat with you as the mcat dude...i know what you mean :(...hopefully someone gives us a shot at interviews..:)

According to the AAMC GPA/MCAT grid I have a 42% chance of acceptance so someone has to interview us. Good luck dude.

Yes, my status is now updated. Fee received and secondary received but I'm not complete yet.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.