Sociopathy/Aspergers/Antisocial Disorders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is there any viable treatment for Asperger's syndrome, sociopathy, psycopathy or a general cluster of antisocial personality disorders?

Can highly functioning people display these antisocial characteristics?

I'm starting to think I could be a sociopath/psycopath. Me and my mother, respectively.

How do you know if you are and how do you seek treatment, if that's at all possible?

I'm curious to hear what you all will say!

Members don't see this ad.

SDN is not for medical advice.

However, to answer your other questions, yes, of course there are very high functioning sociopaths and antisocials. Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacey......Bernie Madoff, the Enron executives, were respected members of their community with good jobs, etc before being "discovered."

Aspergers in not a personality disorder (its a less severe variant of Autism) and doesnt really share any common features with anitisocial PD and psychopathy.

Repeating we can't give you individual advice.

However I will say please do not let our psychobabble discussion give you some hypochondriasis. I've seen a few people look through the DSM and start thinking they had every single psyche disorder in the book, much like medstudents start thinking they have every disease they study in pathology.

If you are at all serious, you need to seek the mental health services available to you, and talk to a therapist, not us.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's because the spider that burrowed in your ear is hiding... biding its time until the next venom-laden bite...

I decided early into my Psychiatry rotation that my mother-in-law had histrionic personality disorder. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.