2010-2011 Loma Linda Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

1) Describe the extent and source of your knowledge of Loma Linda University School of Medicine (LLUSM). (750 characters max)

2) What makes LLUSM particularly attractive to you? (750 characters max)

3) What qualities make you a desirable candidate for admission to LLUSM? (750 characters max)

4) Discuss how your spiritual experience has influenced your life and how you integrate it into your daily life. (750 characters max)

5) What experiences in your life would illustrate your perspective on service to others? (750 characters max)

6) As a Christian educational institution the medical curriculum integrates spiritual, ethical, and relational issues from a Christian perspective into the practice of medicine. Weekly chapel services and religion courses are part of this program. Please respond to the above as it relates to your personal educational and career goals. (750 characters max)

7) Loma Linda University is a Seventh-day Adventist institution that has lifestyle expectations that include abstinence from alcohol, tobacco and illicit drugs/substances in all forms. In the past year, have you used any of these substances? If so, which one(s)? (250 characters max)

8) If accepted to LLUSM, are you willing to abide by the lifestyle policies of Loma Linda University School of Medicine? (250 characters max)

9) Describe your involvement with your religious group (750 characters max)

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if applicants have to have a strong commitment to Christian principles in order to be considered?:confused:

No not really, there are a number of non-christians admitted every year. As long as you believe in their message of 'whole-person care' you should be good

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if applicants have to have a strong commitment to Christian principles in order to be considered?:confused:

You don't have to be a Christian but you do have to agree to live by their code of conduct while you are a student there. I go to a school with a similar agreement and it is really no big deal as long as you aren't into parties. Also you have to go to Chapel once or twice a week.

You don't have to be a Christian but you do have to agree to live by their code of conduct while you are a student there. I go to a school with a similar agreement and it is really no big deal as long as you aren't into parties. Also you have to go to Chapel once or twice a week.

You also have to agree to abstain from alcohol and tobacco products for the duration of your medical education there. I don't personally drink very often, but a big part of my decision not to go to my interview here was not being able have a drink or two at a wedding or some other event when away from school without feeling guilty about it or being deceptive.

It's all a matter of personal preference, really. I have a friend who is an M3 here and he likes it perfectly fine.

You also have to agree to abstain from alcohol and tobacco products for the duration of your medical education there. I don't personally drink very often, but a big part of my decision not to go to my interview here was not being able have a drink or two at a wedding or some other event when away from school without feeling guilty about it or being deceptive.

It's all a matter of personal preference, really. I have a friend who is an M3 here and he likes it perfectly fine.

I am a conservative christian from a different evangelical tradition. The code of conduct wouldn't be a problem for me, but specific adventist indoctrination might be. Are the chapel services specifically oriented to adventist doctrine, or more just generic modern evangelical services?

I am a conservative christian from a different evangelical tradition. The code of conduct wouldn't be a problem for me, but specific adventist indoctrination might be. Are the chapel services specifically oriented to adventist doctrine, or more just generic modern evangelical services?

For the most part they are the latter, however, because it is an Adventist school it is inevitable that there will be instances where SDA theology is clearly present. If you don't mind those moments than you should be fairly satisfied.

Does the school require a LOR from a religious leader/person that you have worked/talked with over the past years? Or is it just recommended?

I have heard that it is true, can anyone confirm?

Does the school require a LOR from a religious leader/person that you have worked/talked with over the past years? Or is it just recommended?

I believe so. A letter from a pastor or youth leader would work. I think they really want to see that you have a letter from a religious leader that speaks to your moral conduct and desire to help others. I'm getting a letter from my pastor at church.

It's not required, a school packet is just fine, but it definitely does not hurt. They do like students who value their philosophy of spirituality within healing, but they accept many students of varying backgrounds.

What if you're a Jew and want to apply here

What if you're a Jew and want to apply here

Do it. Seventh Day Adventists actually share a lot of similarities with the Jewish in regards to clean versus unclean meat, no required classes or activities from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday that sort of thing. You would probably find it a good environment.

I believe so. A letter from a pastor or youth leader would work. I think they really want to see that you have a letter from a religious leader that speaks to your moral conduct and desire to help others. I'm getting a letter from my pastor at church.

Sounds good to me. I'm getting a letter from my church leader :p

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah i really wonder if i can put up with the no alcohol thing for 4 years.....may be tough but maybe i'll look into the school a bit more

Hi! I've been accepted in LLU's RN-BSN program. I'm interested in applying for their SoM, too. My question is ---- is LLU more partial to their own undergraduates? The reason why I ask is that after I get my BSN, I plan on working for a year or two while I finish all my pre-reqs and study for the MCATs.

Do you think having a grandfather that graduated from Loma Linda might help in the application process? I just wonder if I would be a good fit for the school since I am not religious (but willing to abide by their guidelines/views).

I heard that non SDA/religious students need to have high stats-- however,
my stats are not phenomenal -- 31P (10V,10B,11P) 3.9cgpa 3.9sgpa
But my experiences are strong.

I am just wondering if having the grandfather connection gives me any merit to applying (since travel costs are going to be hard on me), or if I should just save that money for a different school. I really like the school and hope to get accepted-- but I'm just wondering if that is a reality.

Any advice would be appreciated! :xf:

Do you think having a grandfather that graduated from Loma Linda might help in the application process? I just wonder if I would be a good fit for the school since I am not religious (but willing to abide by their guidelines/views).

I am just wondering if having the grandfather connection gives me any merit to applying (since travel costs are going to be hard on me), or if I should just save that money for a different school. I really like the school and hope to get accepted-- but I'm just wondering if that is a reality.

with your MCAT and GPA I think you would be competitive, my brother in law goes to the dental school there so I had the chance to visit and I talked with a Med student there who is not SDA and he got a 30 on his MCAT with a 6 in verbal:eek:. He had about the same GPA as you and good EC's. So really you never know, but personally I think you have at least a chance to impress them in an interview.

Thank you for your input! I'll make sure to keep it on my list.
That is really great to hear-- the school seems great!

I'll just have to try make sure the interview goes well then. :laugh:

Does anyone know about when secondaries come our for Loma Linda?

I would definitely mention it on the secondary. When Dr. Nyirady does informal meet and greets at my school he always is interested in our parent's and grandparent's profession and connection to Loma Linda. It certainly won't hurt lol. Hopefully it helps because my grandfather went there too :)

Would I be a definite reject as a single mother? Everything on my application is decent: 35P MCAT, 3.8 GPA. I would really like to go here. I come from a Christian background, however I have never regularly attended church- not that I am adverse to it. My physician has been telling me about their new program geared toward anti-aging medicine. Has anyone else heard about this?

Would I be a definite reject as a single mother? Everything on my application is decent: 35P MCAT, 3.8 GPA. I would really like to go here. I come from a Christian background, however I have never regularly attended church- not that I am adverse to it. My physician has been telling me about their new program geared toward anti-aging medicine. Has anyone else heard about this?

In my opinion, totally not a definite reject. Did you get those stats while being a single mother? Either way, as long as you show the adcom you got what it takes and have a plan I think you'll be fine. Just make em confident you can succeed.

yeah, it was hard- but I did it. I was also working full-time when I was studying for the MCAT which was a nightmare to say the least.

We have had single mother get accepted there before from my school. They might ask you about it at your interview though in regards to their lifestyle policy (ie are you willing to follow it while a student)...but it wouldn't be enough to disqualify you. I wouldn't necessarily volunteer the information that you don't go to church regularly unless they ask.

anyone get a secondary pending an MCAT score with an application thats verified?

Thanks

ooo I can't wait for mine! I hope it comes soon.

Kudos to those of you who have received your secondary! :) Would you be willing to share the prompts here, or are they just the same as last year's?

Thank you!

if im not mistaken its the same

I am having trouble with the first question though-- about what I know about Loma Linda vs why I wanna go there. I feel there is gonna be A LOT of overlap..

Has anyone else had problems logging in? I received the secondary prompt, logged in once and changed my PIN. Now it won't let me log on....

This is really scary...

I just submitted the app online, and when it let me look at the PDF of the completed application, 2 of the essay questions are blank. I know that I wrote responses to all the essay questions -- is anyone else having this problem?

Is it possible to call the LLU and ask them to see if they see the responses as blank? And if so, ask if I can withdraw that app and submit it again to make sure that they get all my responses?

I'm just kind of freaking out because I spent a long time on all my answers.

Should I just email the Admissions Office with my responses right now, rather than wait until Monday so that they don't think that spent the rest of the weekend on those 2 questions.

Should I just email the Admissions Office with my responses right now, rather than wait until Monday so that they don't think that spent the rest of the weekend on those 2 questions.

I didn't have this problem because I haven't finished it, yet. Why would they assume that you spent all weekend (2 whole days) finishing two essays, so that you could call in later and claim some error occurred? I think you are overanalyzing it. I would just call on Monday; I doubt they'd even see your email before you call.

does any one know what it is like to go to school at loma linda if you are not an SDA?

DO you have to go to church or services?

Is there diversity? Or would a non SDA feel left out?

Thanks! :)

does any one know what it is like to go to school at loma linda if you are not an SDA?

DO you have to go to church or services?

Is there diversity? Or would a non SDA feel left out?

Thanks! :)

You have to go to chapel but not church. As for the rest of it I have no idea. All my friends that attend are SDA but I do know they reserve a certain number of spots for non-SDA's so you wouldn't be alone.

Shoebusiness85
My submitted application is missing 2 essays as well. I'm 100%positive I put them in too because I had read your post so maybe they're having problems. I dunno.

Last edited:
Shoebusiness85
My submitted application is missing 2 essays as well. I'm 100%positive I put them in too because I had read your post so maybe they're having problems. I dunno.

I called this morning, and they said that was the first they had heard of it; but I talked to them again this afternoon, and Sherry said that the essays were showing up at their end even if the applicants can't see them. The computer department is working on fixing it.

Does anyone know if LLUSM requires religion/ethics course? I don't see it in the MSAR, but on their website it says credits for religion/ethics must be presented? What do they mean by as required by college attended, because my college did not require that. Thanks!!

http://www.llu.edu/medicine/admissions.page?

Does anyone know if LLUSM requires religion/ethics course? I don't see it in the MSAR, but on their website it says credits for religion/ethics must be presented? What do they mean by as required by college attended, because my college did not require that. Thanks!!

I don't know the answer to your question but I do know all of the undergraduate SDA institutions require some sort of religion classes so I think that requirement might having something to do with making sure those kids meet the requirements.

I have a friend that goes there and I believe he told me that there was a religion course as part of the medical curriculum.

All you need to do is finish out your degree, following whatever gen ed classes are required by your school. If that includes ethics/religion, cool, if not, you don't have to take an ethics class as an elective. For example, my school required one ethics class and three religion classes as part of the gen ed program, so I completed those classes. Yours doesn't, so it's not something you have to worry about :)

I think this has kind of been asked before, but I'm still kind of unsure. I got the secondary from Loma Linda today, and I'm debating whether I want to return it or not. Is there much chance of getting in here if you're not from any kind of a Christian background? I mainly included the school in my primary list because of its location more so than anyone else. However, as MSAR listed 0 students of "Asian Indian" background matriculated, I'm wondering if it's even worth it to continue.

I think this has kind of been asked before, but I'm still kind of unsure. I got the secondary from Loma Linda today, and I'm debating whether I want to return it or not. Is there much chance of getting in here if you're not from any kind of a Christian background? I mainly included the school in my primary list because of its location more so than anyone else. However, as MSAR listed 0 students of "Asian Indian" background matriculated, I'm wondering if it's even worth it to continue.

By asking students in last year's class, about half are not SDA and there are a good number of those who aren't even Christian. LLU makes it a point to accept a good amount of diverse backgrounds. The fact that the ethnicity you listed didn't happen to have anyone matriculating is probably just coincidence. The secondary is not that extensive or difficult, so to increase your overall chances of acceptance I'd go for it, unless you want to save the $$. Which in the long run isn't much compared to the possible outcome of your application process. :thumbup:

I went to a public university in Florida and I got accepted to LLU without any religion/ethics course. It was never asked on my application, interview, or after I got accepted when they received and reviewed my transcripts. We do take a religion course as part of the curriculum but not having a religion class as part of your undergraduate curriculum I don't think it won't impede your acceptance.

do we seriously need to submit that one form with the LOR or is assigning the letters on AMCAS enough?

do we seriously need to submit that one form with the LOR or is assigning the letters on AMCAS enough?

When I applied I only assigned the letters through AMCAS and I didn't use the form. I got accepted so I don't think its a problem

EDIT: just got an email saying they got my letters!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.