2010-2011 Northwestern University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

Essay 1 - Personal Characteristics
Describe your personality and personal characteristics and how you expect that they will lead to success in the specific curriculum and learning environment of FSM.

(Limit your response to 400 words)

Essay 2 - Coping Skills
Describe the coping strategies that you employ when confronted with a difficult (non-academic) situation.

Essay 3 - Other Pursuits
Describe any experiences away from traditional educational pursuits (such as travel, or time in the workplace other than summer jobs). Specify the timeframe and the impact that the activity has had upon you. If you have been in school continuously, then describe a non-academic activity which as been formative.

Essay 4-Future Professional Plans
Based on your experience to date, describe the medical career that you envision.

(Limit your response to 200 words)

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Definitely a top choice. Good luck everyone :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical school right on Lake Michigan in the great neighborhood of Streeterville? So there :)

Question:

According to last year's secondary prompts, the question that asks:
Describe your experiences away from traditional educational pursuits, such as travel or time spent in the work force (other than summer or part-time employment). Specify the time frame. If you have been in school continuously, then describe a non-academic activity which has been formative.

If we are taking the gap year during application year, does that count as experiences away from educational pursuits? For example, I am taking my gap year right now and will start a full time job in August. So I technically will have a year away from school, but the job doesn't start until after I'll do the secondary. So....do I count as having been in school continuously? Thanks

Question:

According to last year's secondary prompts, the question that asks:
Describe your experiences away from traditional educational pursuits, such as travel or time spent in the work force (other than summer or part-time employment). Specify the time frame. If you have been in school continuously, then describe a non-academic activity which has been formative.

If we are taking the gap year during application year, does that count as experiences away from educational pursuits? For example, I am taking my gap year right now and will start a full time job in August. So I technically will have a year away from school, but the job doesn't start until after I'll do the secondary. So....do I count as having been in school continuously? Thanks

That would definitely satisfy what they're looking for. But you can't really describe an experience until you...experience it :)

That would definitely satisfy what they're looking for. But you can't really describe an experience until you...experience it :)

Haha thanks and that's true, but I HAVE experienced it: I have worked there part time for a year now, and am just becoming full time starting in August.
But they said to not describe part-time jobs....so I would be describing a part time turned full time job that would take place during a gap in my education.
Does anybody else know about this or have done something similar?

Haha thanks and that's true, but I HAVE experienced it: I have worked there part time for a year now, and am just becoming full time starting in August.
But they said to not describe part-time jobs....so I would be describing a part time turned full time job that would take place during a gap in my education.
Does anybody else know about this or have done something similar?

Are you still in school or were you working there part-time during a gap year from school. If you are working there part-time during a gap year I think it does count... but if you are taking a gap year next year, and starting there fulltime in August, your experience at NMH/NU doesn't count for their secondary prompt. (Unless you write the secondary prompt in Aug/September, in which case, you can include some of what you are currently doing)

Believe me, I am pretty upset about this. I've done 4 summer internships at NMH and I would like to think all of them have been pretty formative in making me, me.

edit -- just read your above post -- I don't think your experience counts until you live it. You have been in school contiously -- even if you are taking a gap year next year, you cant write what hasnt happened yet. I would try to think of some EC [school club or volunteer experience]. It is pretty clear that they don't want part-time activity if you were still in school.

Are you still in school or were you working there part-time during a gap year from school. If you are working there part-time during a gap year I think it does count... but if you are taking a gap year next year, and starting there fulltime in August, your experience at NMH/NU doesn't count for their secondary prompt. (Unless you write the secondary prompt in Aug/September, in which case, you can include some of what you are currently doing)

Believe me, I am pretty upset about this. I've done 4 summer internships at NMH and I would like to think all of them have been pretty formative in making me, me.

edit -- just read your above post -- I don't think your experience counts until you live it. You have been in school contiously -- even if you are taking a gap year next year, you cant write what hasnt happened yet. I would try to think of some EC [school club or volunteer experience]. It is pretty clear that they don't want part-time activity if you were still in school.

Thank you avoidthetiger, that answers a lot. That indeed makes sense.

Hmm I will probably write about an activity that was also the topic of my answer to the second question, I hope that's okay. Obviously the 3rd essay will be a description of it/what it meant to me, and the 2nd essay is a particular incident involving that activity. I hope this is not redundant, but it is my most meaningful EC so it looks like it will be all over my secondary.

Will the essays be the same ones as last years??

seems like their secondary should be available july 16

"If you are in the process of applying to our medical school, we encourage your application and, if it has been submitted, we recommend you regularly check your status at our secure applicant web site, available about July 16."

Just wanted to give this thread a bump This is my absolute top choice, can't wait for their secondary to come out.

Does anyone have any advice for specifically applying to this school? I've done the searching and reading but they seem to be very standard, no unique quirks about what they're looking for, although the interview day sounds fun. I wonder if they place a greater amount of weight on one aspect of the app like some schools do or do they just go for the overall picture.
Any information would be appreciated, thanks!

I know for a fact that they like students who have spent some time studying abroad (a summer, a semester or a year). I do not think that this is necessarily a "must" but with all things being comparable, they will go for this type of student.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm interesting, thanks. Do you know if it's specifically studying abroad or just cultural diversity? As in, what about living abroad or being from another country?

Hmm interesting, thanks. Do you know if it's specifically studying abroad or just cultural diversity? As in, what about living abroad or being from another country?

Specifically studying or spending some time abroad. If you get invited for an interview ask the students you meet. You will see.

I know for a fact that they like students who have spent some time studying abroad (a summer, a semester or a year). I do not think that this is necessarily a "must" but with all things being comparable, they will go for this type of student.
That is super helpful info thank you so much!:)

Specifically studying or spending some time abroad. If you get invited for an interview ask the students you meet. You will see.

Now Northwestern sounds like a bunch of privileged individuals... that's just always been my opinion about kids who study abroad.

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/02/22/72-study-abroad/
http://www.transitionsabroad.com/publications/magazine/9707/class_and_study_abroad_programs.shtml

Of course, I did a spring break trip to the Netherlands (woot 3 credit class)... which makes me feel like a privileged white-brat also. :p

Too bad they don't care if you lived overseas (me! me! pick me Northwestern!)

hmm yeah I had no time to study abroad. So I hope they are just looking for people who are culturally oriented. This school is so awesome!

I know a couple people who got in and never studied abroad. I don't think they expect every student to have gone abroad. They have to realize that some students don't have that kind of financial capability or just aren't interested in it.

I haven't studied abroad either. I wouldn't worry too much. :)

I know a couple people who got in and never studied abroad. I don't think they expect every student to have gone abroad. They have to realize that some students don't have that kind of financial capability or just aren't interested in it.

I haven't studied abroad either. I wouldn't worry too much. :)

Just to echo what you said, they are looking for people who have experience with other cultures...NOT people who have studied abroad, although that does help. I have a friend who was accepted to Feinberg without studying abroad..and finishing his undergrad in 3 years!

My life has been as diverse as... types of ben & jerry's ice cream. That's alot of ice cream. :laugh:

But thanks for relieving my worrying that study abroad was a must. It seemed rather silly.
I probably need to use all my might just to have Northwestern consider me.... so not having a potential "unofficial" req would make me sad.

Just to echo what you said, they are looking for people who have experience with other cultures...NOT people who have studied abroad, although that does help. I have a friend who was accepted to Feinberg without studying abroad..and finishing his undergrad in 3 years!

When roughly over 2/3 of each first year class has done some studying abroad, you can draw your own conclusions. I never said it was a "must", but there is definitely a "bias".

One of my parents is a Northwestern graduate, and i have been curious at this fact for a few years now. It holds true.

Has anyone received any form of communication from them yet? They are the only school that hasn't contacted me yet

Has anyone received any form of communication from them yet? They are the only school that hasn't contacted me yet

Nothing here. They do not screen and I heard they should start sending invites (or activate the site online) after today.

Come on now where is that secondary....

<3 <3 <3 Northwestern!

Hi, has anyone received invites to fill out secondary for NU????

Hi, has anyone received invites to fill out secondary for NU????

I received the link to the secondary yesterday evening. Although it doesn't seem like they screen, they waited till my MCAT scores were released (Tuesday) so maybe that has been causing the delay?

Here are the prompts:

1) Describe your personality and personal characteristics and how you expect that they will lead to success in the specific curriculum and learning environment of FSM.

2)Describe the coping strategies that you employ when confronted with a difficult (non-academic) situation.

3)Describe any experiences away from traditional educational pursuits (such as travel, or time in the workplace other than summer jobs). Specify the timeframe and the impact that the activity has had upon you. If you have been in school continuously, then describe a non-academic activity which as been formative.

4)Based on your experience to date, describe the medical career that you envision.

The first badge of secondaries was just sent yesterday guys..... no particular order and they do screen.....

The first badge of secondaries was just sent yesterday guys..... no particular order and they do screen.....

I didn't think Northwestern screens for the secondary application --

"A Feinberg supplemental application, a $85 processing fee, and letters of recommendation are required. All applicants are invited via email to complete the supplemental application and pay the processing fee at the applicant secure web site, accessible about July 16 of each year."

Feinberg does not screen.

"All applicants are invited via email to complete the supplemental application and pay the processing fee at the applicant secure web site"

edit: You also don't need to wait for an invite -- if you didn't catch that with the link being provided above.

Last edited:
Nothing for me yet :( which is only sad because NW is my first choice.
How often do they send out batches?

Just got the secondary about 10 min ago. Sweet

Man, I was really hoping that would work for everyone. Hopefully the next bunch of secondary emails comes for you soon.

Wow I literally got the email the SECOND I submitted my last post. Looks like this method works for me...:)

Wait it says on the letters of recommendation page that we need to submit letters BY MAIL to AMCAS....
AMCAS has my letters (sent electronically from interfolio) and I have already sent them to the school. Is that okay....???

Wait it says on the letters of recommendation page that we need to submit letters BY MAIL to AMCAS....
AMCAS has my letters (sent electronically from interfolio) and I have already sent them to the school. Is that okay....???
Yep you're fine. Old-fashioned terminology.

I didn't think Northwestern screens for the secondary application --

"A Feinberg supplemental application, a $85 processing fee, and letters of recommendation are required. All applicants are invited via email to complete the supplemental application and pay the processing fee at the applicant secure web site, accessible about July 16 of each year."

That is what I thought also. In fact, I mentioned it in an earlier post. However, I tried to access the secondary, and it would not allow me, so... I called. I was told by whoever answered the phone that...."the admission committee does screen and you need to wait until you get the email inviting you".

Then, she asked my name and I became scared and quickly hung up the phone.....

You should be able to start the secondary with the link provided above.

The only reason that link works for you is because you must have:
a) been invited
b) had your AMCAS info downloaded by Northwestern already and they are in the process of sending you the email, and you got to them first

That is what I thought also. In fact, I mentioned it in an earlier post. However, I tried to access the secondary, and it would not allow me, so... I called. I was told by whoever answered the phone that...."the admission committee does screen and you need to wait until you get the email inviting you".

Oh wow that's rough...I think the person is wrong though, the actual application site itself even says it sends a secondary to everyone.

I hope they don't have caller ID.... :laugh:

Can someone who has access to the secondary post the essay questions? Thanks

See below for the previous post by hiplikeahippo.

I received the link to the secondary yesterday evening. Although it doesn't seem like they screen, they waited till my MCAT scores were released (Tuesday) so maybe that has been causing the delay?

Here are the prompts:

1) Describe your personality and personal characteristics and how you expect that they will lead to success in the specific curriculum and learning environment of FSM.

2)Describe the coping strategies that you employ when confronted with a difficult (non-academic) situation.

3)Describe any experiences away from traditional educational pursuits (such as travel, or time in the workplace other than summer jobs). Specify the timeframe and the impact that the activity has had upon you. If you have been in school continuously, then describe a non-academic activity which as been formative.

4)Based on your experience to date, describe the medical career that you envision.

I'm confused about the status page. I received confirmation that they received my secondary, but where on the status page does it actually state our status? I don't see a place that says "secondary submitted" or "complete"

So does that mean there is no character limit for the first question?

Just got the secondary. Seems like a pain. bah.

Status
Not open for further replies.