Does it matter what degree I have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElementalForce

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently work at a microbiology laboratory and I am completing my microbiology degree. I have been searching myself a long time and really want to go to medical school and take with me what I have learned and put it to use to help people. I am half-way complete with my degree and so far have a pretty good GPA 3.67 ( I think that is a good GPA ). Do you feel that a microbiology degree would be at all helpful in my getting accepted? I am 27 and will finish when I am close to 30 and then apply to local medical schools. I was looking at schools offering both MD and DO.

If I do not get in I will just continue and get my PhD in molecular microbiology but for many years I wanted to become a doctor and I just feel that is really what will make me happy. I just am at that age I feel life is far too short and I do not just want to settle for anything. I was a nursing major at one point but switched to science because I wanted more, but after being involved with testing pathogens, and knowing what they do to people, it would be awesome to be able to be there on the front line with people and be able to make a difference.

Members don't see this ad.

Degree doesn't matter as long as you do well and complete all the pre-reqs. You'll also need some experiences in a clinical setting so you can show admissions that you have a realistic understanding of what physicians do and have interacted with some patients. If you're working in a clinical micro lab you still need to seek out opportunities to shadow physicians and have more direct contact with patients if you don't already. You should have some volunteering as well.

Degree doesn't matter as long as you do well and complete all the pre-reqs. You'll also need some experiences in a clinical setting so you can show admissions that you have a realistic understanding of what physicians do and have interacted with some patients. If you're working in a clinical micro lab you still need to seek out opportunities to shadow physicians and have more direct contact with patients if you don't already. You should have some volunteering as well.

^^^^This here is dynamite. :D

In fact, I've heard that medical schools are on the look out for students with "non-traditional" degrees like music, theater, English. All they want to see is that you've done well academically, have experience clinically and are motivated to successfully complete the medical curriculum. I agree that you should look into internships, volunteer positions or clinical positions not only to show medical schools your commitment but also to know for yourself that this is what you want and perhaps even to get a taste of what fields you would want to pursue. It seems like you are on the right track already and honestly with a year or more of experience and stellar MCAT scores, your application would be well on it's way to success.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all for your responses. I am actively looking for an entry job into the medical field. I am looking to move away from the lab, mostly because I cannot stand that place. I like what I do, but team work is very little and it is highly disorganized.

I spoke with a doctor at a urgent care clinic when I got injured a few months back and she welcomed me with open arms to shadow and volunteer there. I would love to do it, just finding time between a full time job and school is tough. I will manage though. Even if it is every other weekend or something. Better to get some experience and get an insight than none at all.

I do like this SDN. Many good people here and it makes me feel good that so many people are supportive. This really is helpful.

I really thank you for your suggestions from the bottom of my heart.

Here is something I would like to throw out there. I do have my CNA aka nurse aide license, do you think this would be good to use to get my foot in a clinical setting and gets some hands on experience? I got the CNA license because I was going to become an RN but soon realized I wanted much more, I just have not pursued anything in that area since.

I appreciate it, thanks