why not combine the osteo/allo thread here on SDN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Potato

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The news of the ACGME/AOA merger got me thinking: why not combine the two threads here on SDN?? Are the thoughts and worries of an MS so much different than those o an OMS?
Just my opinion here, but the separate boards seems to be a case of "separate but equal" (ya I went there :p). It's feels like the separation of the two boards does nothing more than perpetuate this idea that the two are wildly different. Historically? Maybe. Today? Not really.

With the recent merger, shouldn't SDN take that first step towards equality? :3

... but what do I know. I'm just a potato.

Members don't see this ad.

it is appropriate so we can discuss DO specific things.

The news of the ACGME/AOA merger got me thinking: why not combine the two threads here on SDN?? Are the thoughts and worries of an MS so much different than those o an OMS?
Just my opinion here, but the separate boards seems to be a case of "separate but equal" (ya I went there :p). It's feels like the separation of the two boards does nothing more than perpetuate this idea that the two are wildly different. Historically? Maybe. Today? Not really.

:thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)

As of now the merger is only relevant for residencies. The osteo profession didn't merge with the allo profession, hence the separation of boards.

Yes they are! It would have been so time consuming to have to look through a merged pre-allo/osteo. page for DO specific questions. Having two separate threads is not an issue of equality, but its simply the convenient/more user-friendly option.

35278110.jpg

Boo. OP, have you been to pre-allo? You really want that here?

Gonna have to agree here. I think most of those kids would rather eat a poop hotdog than associate with us anyway lol

I find the medical students forums very useful for both DO and MD students. The pre-allo also has some great information but there is also a lot of spam unfortunately (due to a higher influx of traffic) that's why I would rather keep it separate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously, no matter how low the GPA or MCAT, we never tell a kid to look for another career, they're fave response

Not sure if that's 100% true here on pre-osteo, but that's being nitpicky. Generally, you are correct.

Because drama.

Here is an idea... If you want to merge the forums, just push the button on the top that says "new posts" then you get ALL the new posts from all the forums. Then you can see who is writing what about everyone else in one convenient list. No need to bother switching forums any more.

When I check here, I have a list of subscribed threads, then I check "new posts" to see if there is something new that i want to subscribe to, and all is good. Every now and then I check my post history and see if anyone replied to something I said in a random thread that I looked at. (Like this one)

dsoz

Exactly.

The Allopathic and pre-allopathic board are full of philosophical topics that get you nowhere (Drs vs Nurses; Drs vs AI; US vs India etc...).

+1

I rarely ever go on pre-allo. Such an incredibly immature atmosphere over there.

Exactly.

The Allopathic and pre-allopathic board are full of philosophical topics that get you nowhere (Drs vs Nurses; Drs vs AI; US vs India etc...).

Allo isnt as bad at all. Pre-allo can be something else.

I'd happily eat a poop hot dog to matriculate to WashU

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Exactly.

Yea pre-osteo has whittled those down to DO vs MD.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

That's a negative ghostrider

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

Also, misc hasn't begun to take over pre-osteo yet.

Post this in pre-allo and the first page will have at least one no thanks jeff.

Hmm seems the majority of people would prefer separate boards? Iono. I still feel like merging would benefit both of us. I mean isn't the goal at the end of the day to become a competent physician? I feel like we - especially the osteo boards - are talking about how things will get better for DOs with the passing of the "old guard" (biased program directors). How are we gonna get rid of the "old guard" if we don't start educating each other from an early point on.
I agree that combining the two boards might clutter the info, but would it be such a bad thing for MDs to have an understanding of the DO path towards becoming a physician and vice versa? If anything I feel like a combined board would only harbor a stronger sense of physician community instead of the age old DO vs MD debate.
Plus if a future PD at a prestigious program is exposed to both MD and DO at an early point in his/her career wouldn't the PD be more likely to consider both applicants as equals?

Hmm seems the majority of people would prefer separate boards? Iono. I still feel like merging would benefit both of us. I mean isn't the goal at the end of the day to become a competent physician? I feel like we - especially the osteo boards - are talking about how things will get better for DOs with the passing of the "old guard" (biased program directors). How are we gonna get rid of the "old guard" if we don't start educating each other from an early point on.
I agree that combining the two boards might clutter the info, but would it be such a bad thing for MDs to have an understanding of the DO path towards becoming a physician and vice versa? If anything I feel like a combined board would only harbor a stronger sense of physician community instead of the age old DO vs MD debate.
Plus if a future PD at a prestigious program is exposed to both MD and DO at an early point in his/her career wouldn't the PD be more likely to consider both applicants as equals?

This is the most subtle MD vs DO thread I've seen in quite a while.

Had me for a bit OP.

I think you underestimate just how neurotic and insecure the premeds are on SDN. We've ALL investigated the DO route and rationalized how it's just as good as becoming an MD and planned on applying to DO as a safety and are sure to not talk ill of it since we might end up among the DO ranks.... and then us allo folk subsequently abandon this viewpoint when our dreams of getting an MD are no longer in jeopardy. We are all well aware of DOs, but most of us just don't want to be one (though are willing to as a last resort).

This is the most subtle MD vs DO thread I've seen in quite a while.

Had me for a bit OP.
Wait for it... 5 pages in a will start to talk about how carribean MDs are better than everyone. Haha.

Jokes aside though I'm not trying to make this a MD DO debate. I honestly think we'd benefit from a combined boards.

Wait for it... 5 pages in a will start to talk about how carribean MDs are better than everyone. Haha.

Jokes aside though I'm not trying to make this a MD DO debate. I honestly think we'd benefit from a combined boards.

Combined board has no benefit considering the application process issues for pre-osteo are different than those for pre-allo.

I honestly think you do not have a good understanding of sdn

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

I think you underestimate just how neurotic and insecure the premeds are on SDN. We've ALL investigated the DO route and rationalized how it's just as good as becoming an MD and planned on applying to DO as a safety and are sure to not talk ill of it since we might end up among the DO ranks.... and then us allo folk subsequently abandon this viewpoint when our dreams of getting an MD are no longer in jeopardy. We are all well aware of DOs, but most of us just don't want to be one (though are willing to as a last resort).

I feel like this response is more of a MD vs DO response than anything I've proposed.

I love it! SDN is going to change the face of medicine! :smuggrin:

I love it! SDN is going to change the face of medicine! :smuggrin:

Hahaha!

Unfortunately, I dont think MD's will want anything to do with DO's until there is major push by midlevels for more practice rights / autonomy. At that point, we will all have to come together or get obliterated. Even then, we wont come together because we all see each other as equals. It will be because of pure survival.

Also, misc hasn't begun to take over pre-osteo yet.

Post this in pre-allo and the first page will have at least one no thanks jeff.

I had to resort to google to "aware" myself on this whole no thanks Jeff thing. People can be real dense. :rofl:

I think you bring up a good point, I almost posted something in this vein a few weeks ago. I think it does help perpetuate the idea that there's some radical distinction.

gorilla-pictures-funny-5919.jpg

Yo mang...get yo silver back in pre-allo. We is missing you dawg.

SDN might lose a lot of members if pre-osteo became constantly exposed to pre-allo.

SDN might lose a lot of members if pre-osteo became constantly exposed to pre-allo.

Agreed. I'd probably lurk for a while and then eventually stop browsing the pre-med forum all together. Pre allo is a joke. There are however some other sub forums that I enjoy, so doubt I would leave altogether...would definitely visit SDN less often though.

Agreed. I'd probably lurk for a while and then eventually stop browsing the pre-med forum all together. Pre allo is a joke. There are however some other sub forums that I enjoy, so doubt I would leave altogether...would definitely visit SDN less often though.

Preallo is way more fun though. Preosteo is too serious.

Hollyyyy crap, this is definitely my new avatar.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

You should just investigate it and rationalized how it's just as good as the one you have and plan on using it as a safety avatar. Also, be sure to not talk poorly of it since you might end up using it. Maybe you will subsequently abandon it when your dreams of finding your own clever avatar are no longer in jeopardy.:naughty:

Thank you for reporting, Double Agent MedPR. When you put it that way... it doesn't sound all that different from pre-osteo :rolleyes:. It's only a matter of time before threads like this turn into a meme war. :corny:

:laugh: