prometric nightmare/extension of eligibility

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unsweet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys.

first, a question: does anyone know how long it typically takes to process an extension of eligibility request? i just applied and made payment online today.

backstory:

exam was scheduled for this past saturday. received an e-mail around 3AM (woke up and checked my phone for time and luckily checked my e-mail as well) saying that my exam had been canceled due to technical difficulties.

waited a few hours for prometric to open up. they confirmed the cancellation and i learned it was due to the surveillance cameras not functioning. around 8AM, i receive an e-mail saying they rescheduled my exam for a couple days later (wednesday), in a city that is a 4 hour drive from me. which is just not feasible for me. all testing sites in my area are fully booked through february so the soonest id be able to take my exam in a testing site near me is march. the problem is my eligibility period expires february 28.

so this is what happened.

1. prometric representative from their main office contacted me to confirm that i knew about the cancellation. i told her of my predicament and she SEEMED very empathetic and reassured me i can reschedule to a march date without any problems/incurring any prometric fees. she instructed me to contact NBME and tell them to extend my eligibility since i could not take the exam due to a fault that was prometric's, not my own. i would then be able to reschedule. she gave me her direct line and told me to call with any problems.

2. followed instructions on NBME site and wrote them an e-mail explaining situation and requesting the extension.

3. i waited 3 days - until tuesday, since NBME is closed weekends and monday was a holiday. i called them. i am an IMG, so they told me to call the ECFMG number.

4. called ECFMG. spoke with a representative and we get cut off. call back and am put on the queue again of course. so after about nearly an hour of total hold time, the representative tells me i must call prometric and tell them to file a "report" on my behalf with NBME for the extension. NBME will then decide whether or not to grant the extension. the rep also told me he spoke with his manager who affirmed that prometric must contact NBME. and that ECFMG can do nothing for me.

5. i call my contact at prometric main office. who i had left 2 prior voicemails with. i am again unable to reach her. and she has not returned any of my phone calls. gee, thanks.

6. call prometric 1-800 number. am on hold for a good 45 minutes. i explain the situation to the rep. and according to her (who by the way was the nicest, and most helpful out of everyone i had talked to), prometric does not file reports or requests for eligibility extensions. in fact, they are not to involve themselves at all with regards to candidates and the medical board, which is very understandable. i was quite exasperated at this point and she told me my best option is to file for extension, pay the $65 fee, cancel my testing date that they rescheduled me for, wait for the new permit, schedule the new exam, and then prometric will reimburse me the $65 paid to ECFMG. she suggested i call them, as opposed to processing the extension online.

7. call back prometric. wait for a representative. he tells me i can only apply for extension online, not over phone. no other way to do it. he tells me it will take up to 3 weeks and there is no way, whatsoever, to speed up the process, no matter what the situation.

8. applied for extension online.

9. received an e-mail back from [email protected] who i emailed about the situation requesting extension. and the email says: "please contact ECFMG to inquire about a free eligibility extension."

10. NOT THE END. but hopefully close.

my forms are all up to date. still have not received e-mail confirmation from them that they received my request. should i be worried?

SUCH A LONG, STRESSFUL PROCESS. nobody seems to know exactly how to remedy this. the representatives have me running around in circles chasing my own tail. it is SO frustrating.

honestly, after all this anxiety, i do not care if i get reimbursed the $65. i just want to take my exam as soon as possible without having to travel 4 hours and stay in a hotel, etc etc. 3 weeks is a really long time to wait for a permit considering there are not many seats available for march. i do not want to push this exam back even further simply because of faulty equipment and crappy service with terrible turn around times. :(

anyhow, just wanted to vent and share my experience with you guys. if anyone can relate or offer advice or perhaps has experience with applying for extensions and can let me know how long it typically takes or if theres a way to expedite the whole process, it would be very much appreciated.

sorry for the novel. and the angst.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear this happened to you. Definitely the last thing you want happening to you when you're about to take the boards.

Can I ask why you didn't want to take the exam in a different city? Yeah its a 4 hour drive and you'd have to stay at a hotel for a night but wouldn't that have been easier than go through all of this?

i actually considered it. but i suppose i'm just a creature of habit. i value being able to sleep in my own bed the night before and being familiar with the area i'll be testing in. having to travel, sleep in a hotel, navigate my way to the testing center was just too much stress for me to handle as silly as that sounds. the original testing site is just a 10 minute drive down the freeway for me and i had tested there before. its just practical and familiar.

when i spoke with the prometric representative from the main office, she honestly made it seem that rescheduling my exam would entail a simple phone call and a two day wait for a new permit. had i known that it would involve all this trouble from the start, i would have just went ahead and prepared myself to take the rescheduled exam. it's a bit too late for that now though :(

3 weeks is a really long time to wait for a permit considering there are not many seats available for march. i do not want to push this exam back even further simply because of faulty equipment and crappy service with terrible turn around times. :(

anyhow, just wanted to vent and share my experience with you guys. if anyone can relate or offer advice or perhaps has experience with applying for extensions and can let me know how long it typically takes or if theres a way to expedite the whole process, it would be very much appreciated.

sorry for the novel. and the angst.

I just recently extended my block too. I was wondering why it was taking so long so I called ECFMG and it ended up that my school needed to verify the extension. So my advice is call your school and see if they received the extension electronically. After they verify it, it should be processed and ready by ECFMG.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awwe, that's horrible unsweet... I extended my eligibility period (since mine ends in March), lst Feb 14. I got the confirmation email 2 days after. So don't worry it will be there as soon as, I hope (well after all that hullabaloo, I think they should make up for it by processing your request quick) :)

I canceled my Prometric exam date only in 13 may and my exam supposed 23 may I pay for Prometric 50 dolar and (I cancel online) and then I extended my eligibility, I paid $65 only
and sent the email to NBME ([email protected]) since 8 days (6 business days if we skip Sat and Sunday) and they didn't reply to me

in ECFMG email written

After you have paid the appointment change fee, you must e-mail NBME at [email protected] to notify the NBME that you have paid the appointment change fee. In your e-mail to NBME, you must

- type "Resend Eligibility" in the subject line, and
- type in the e-mail text that you have paid the appointment fee to Prometric. Include your full name, USMLE ID Number, examination type (Step 1 and/or Step 2 CK) and Testing Region in the e-mail text.

After receipt of the e-mail from you, the NBME will send your updated information to Prometric and respond to you within two business days.

I called ECFMG twice they say contact NBME again this is not related to ECFMG and the problem with NBME
and said this is 1st time someone complain from NBME

so yesterday I sent the same email again to NBME
and no response
what ihave to doooooo plz help