I'm not going to directly address ASHA's statements towards people but I find them to be somewhat disappointing, not yet being certified and having fully explored all the different certification/licensing options, those statements come across as very bullyish and definitely not the right way to go about retaining and encouraging membership.
Cidanu, to provide a counterpoint to your statement, I would argue that while we are 2 distinct professions, we are 2 sides of the same coin. We deal with receptive communication and SLP's deal with expressive. Yes there is more to it than that (vestib, IOM, electrophys SOL testing, etc), but I still see one of our principal objectives being restoration of communication. It is definitely not always something that is easy. I think there is a definite strength in numbers especially when it comes to all the political crap. If we feel our voice isn't being heard we may need to shout a little louder.
*bias alert/frame of reference: I currently serve on the NSSLHA Executive council*
I'm very eager to see the rest of this thread and hear people's point of views. The NSSLHA board is very eager to be reaching out to AuD students to try and figure out what we can do to better serve us. ASHA has also told us they desire to improve things too. I was actually about to start a related thread when I saw this so please keep your eyes open for that a little later tonight and I welcome any and all input.