"ADA accuses ASHA of making false statements to audiologists"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SLP and AUD are 2 very different professions. yes we need to collaborate, but we are 2 separate professions. what other professions do you know of that pool together for their professional organizations? it really does not make sense to me why we still pay ASHA for certification, when the majority of our leadership is with AAA. it's only a matter of time until people move to board certification through ABA.

I'm not going to directly address ASHA's statements towards people but I find them to be somewhat disappointing, not yet being certified and having fully explored all the different certification/licensing options, those statements come across as very bullyish and definitely not the right way to go about retaining and encouraging membership.

Cidanu, to provide a counterpoint to your statement, I would argue that while we are 2 distinct professions, we are 2 sides of the same coin. We deal with receptive communication and SLP's deal with expressive. Yes there is more to it than that (vestib, IOM, electrophys SOL testing, etc), but I still see one of our principal objectives being restoration of communication. It is definitely not always something that is easy. I think there is a definite strength in numbers especially when it comes to all the political crap. If we feel our voice isn't being heard we may need to shout a little louder.

*bias alert/frame of reference: I currently serve on the NSSLHA Executive council*

I'm very eager to see the rest of this thread and hear people's point of views. The NSSLHA board is very eager to be reaching out to AuD students to try and figure out what we can do to better serve us. ASHA has also told us they desire to improve things too. I was actually about to start a related thread when I saw this so please keep your eyes open for that a little later tonight and I welcome any and all input.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not going to directly address ASHA's statements towards people but I find them to be somewhat disappointing, not yet being certified and having fully explored all the different certification/licensing options, those statements come across as very bullyish and definitely not the right way to go about retaining and encouraging membership.

Cidanu, to provide a counterpoint to your statement, I would argue that while we are 2 distinct professions, we are 2 sides of the same coin. We deal with receptive communication and SLP's deal with expressive. Yes there is more to it than that (vestib, IOM, electrophys SOL testing, etc), but I still see one of our principal objectives being restoration of communication. It is definitely not always something that is easy. I think there is a definite strength in numbers especially when it comes to all the political crap. If we feel our voice isn't being heard we may need to shout a little louder.

*bias alert/frame of reference: I currently serve on the NSSLHA Executive council*

I'm very eager to see the rest of this thread and hear people's point of views. The NSSLHA board is very eager to be reaching out to AuD students to try and figure out what we can do to better serve us. ASHA has also told us they desire to improve things too. I was actually about to start a related thread when I saw this so please keep your eyes open for that a little later tonight and I welcome any and all input.

My background is in Chemistry and Physics so I come to this field from a different angle than most. This is how I see things. Physical chemistry is highly interrelated to Physics, however, a physical chemist is still a chemist and as such is represented by the American Chemical Society. Physical therapists and exercise scientist both want to improve physical movement and strength but they have separate representation as well. My point being, that just because we are interested in improving communication does not mean we are the same field and should have separate representation. I think it is cheating both fields to have the attention of our representation split in two different directions....I think this should be a divide and conquer situation.

As to ASHA's false statements, I have read the email some fellow AuDs have received and they made my jaw drop. I hope the ADA puts them in their place.

That's interesting. Do you know the Council President? We know each other.

ADA has filed a lawsuit, looks like it's getting nasty.

It is a little ridiculous that in order to graduate, I must meet 1800+ hours working with ASHA certified audiologists. I'm sure there are a lot of audiologists out there that elect against certification who would make quality preceptors for an externship. Having said that, suggesting that non-ASHA audiologists are not allowed to supervise is dead wrong.

Cidanu, to provide a counterpoint to your statement, I would argue that while we are 2 distinct professions, we are 2 sides of the same coin. We deal with receptive communication and SLP's deal with expressive. Yes there is more to it than that (vestib, IOM, electrophys SOL testing, etc), but I still see one of our principal objectives being restoration of communication.

for people who use sign language as their primary language, the same could be said for the relationship between vision and motor skills, but you don't see optometrists and physical therapists governing themselves as one.

my only point is that there are lot of things that are essential to communication. psychologists and and psychiatrists have a role in it too, as do language teachers. i don't disagree that communication and collaboration are important for us to work together as professionals, i just don't think that continuing to govern ourselves as one body is the way to do it.

i joined SAA when i entered grad school and have been an active member the last 2 years. i've been satisfied with what the organization provides in terms of leadership, publications, advocacy, mentorship, educational opportunities, etc. our local chapter has been active as well. i'm also a member of NSSLHA but not active. it's enough work to keep up with one organization let alone two. the only thing i use ASHA for is accreditation and publications. it just seems to me that our profession would be better served by focusing its efforts in a single membership organization. i think if we did that, we could actually improve our relationships with other professions.

That's interesting. Do you know the Council President? We know each other.

Yup! Megan's pretty cool. And there is another audiology student on the board as well. She is an AuD/PhD student who is serving as member at large. That position is always filled by a student who is the opposite major of the sitting president.

Yup! Megan's pretty cool. And there is another audiology student on the board as well. She is an AuD/PhD student who is serving as member at large. That position is always filled by a student who is the opposite major of the sitting president.

Sanantha? oops! I was thinking of AAA's executive council because you mention an Au.D officer...

Last edited:
Read my comment on 8/7..

Yes, that Megan. She graduated from CSUF two years ago.... She's currently at CSULB for her masters in SLP.

Last edited:
Read my comment on 8/7..

Yes, that Megan. She graduated from CSUF two years ago.... She's currently at CSULB for her masters in SLP.

Good luck!

Ah... I missed your edit!

ADA has filed a lawsuit, looks like it's getting nasty.

It is a little ridiculous that in order to graduate, I must meet 1800+ hours working with ASHA certified audiologists. I'm sure there are a lot of audiologists out there that elect against certification who would make quality preceptors for an externship. Having said that, suggesting that non-ASHA audiologists are not allowed to supervise is dead wrong.

I'm not sure what program you are in, but you only have to work with an Audiologist with their CCC's if you want to be certified through ASHA. You DO NOT need your CCC's to work as an audiologist. I am currently a 4th year Au.D. student and my preceptor is not ASHA certified. Choose your clinical sites by experience not off of ASHA certification. There are many wonderful preceptors without their CCC's!

Either way you don't want to get your CCC's for many reasons, but in general ASHA is holding our field back. They didn't want us to advance to a doctoral program and they certainly don't want us to stop paying dues.

I'm curious, besides pediatric patients, how many people work closely with SLPs on a daily basis?

I'm not sure what program you are in, but you only have to work with an Audiologist with their CCC's if you want to be certified through ASHA. You DO NOT need your CCC's to work as an audiologist. I am currently a 4th year Au.D. student and my preceptor is not ASHA certified. Choose your clinical sites by experience not off of ASHA certification. There are many wonderful preceptors without their CCC's!

Either way you don't want to get your CCC's for many reasons, but in general ASHA is holding our field back. They didn't want us to advance to a doctoral program and they certainly don't want us to stop paying dues.

I'm curious, besides pediatric patients, how many people work closely with SLPs on a daily basis?
It is required to graduate in my program. I have heard of other programs allowing students to sign a waiver stating they will not be pursuing ASHA certification.

It is required to graduate in my program. I have heard of other programs allowing students to sign a waiver stating they will not be pursuing ASHA certification.

I think a lot of that (required hours and KASA stuff) stems that ASHA is still the principle accreditation body for AuD programs. I know that AAA or ADA has tried to start doing its own accreditation for programs but I had heard that universities did not necessarily see the value in working with two different accreditation when they could get both from the same one or in having two different accreditations for the same program. No idea if there is any truth to that, but just what I had heard at one point.

You're right. Not many compared to those who come to audiologists for hearing aids.

I thought ASHA was the one who came up with the idea of going from MS/MA to Au.D?

As I was flipping through my issue of the ASHA Leader today, I noticed that audiology seems to be downplayed. We deserve every right as our own profession. I wouldn't be upset if we continued to be certified through ASHA, but I think it's almost a pride issue to belong to an association that is dedicated to your career and everything around it. That's just my elementary opinion...

I am 100% with you on this Cait51586. I am also in my externship year and I am working at a speech and hearing clinic but we do not work with the SLPs or treat the same patients. The only time we collaborate is for a CAPD evaluation but that is pretty standard everywhere. I intend to get my CCC's to graduate but probably wont keep them. I much prefer to be a FAAA or ABA for certifications because the criteria for certifications is more strict so I think it means more than the C's and they deal solely with Audiologists.