Are salaries going down?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ontology

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm very confused about what the new healthcare program will do to physician salaries. I talked to my neurologist and he said his salary will be cut 50%. Is this what most specialties will experience and how soon will this occur? Is being a doctor even worth it if salaries are going to be cut by that much? Thanks for the information in advance SDN.

Members don't see this ad.

A quick browse through the 'topics in healthcare' forum or a search for 'healthcare reform' will bring up quite a few threads regarding this topic. To summarize, nobody knows for sure (a lot of the legislation is still up in the air). The significance of the changes will vary by specialty, practice setting, region, patient demographic, etc.

First, there's an IDENTICAL thread on the first page of this forum. Please spend at least 10 seconds looking around the forum before posting a new thread.

Second, as aSag mentioned, it's impossible to say for certain. There are also many, many different factors that will impact salaries, e.g., specialty, location, practice type, etc.. Just because one physician is going to see a hit doesn't mean all, or even most, will.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aren't ou guys scared that all this work you've put and all the effort and time you've put into med school and studying and residency is going to see a huge hit financially? I'd be so pissed.

That's why people say don't go into a career solely for money... chances are you'll never be satisfied! Someone once told me would you still want to be a doctor if you didn't get paid anything. Your answer to this question should determine whether you'll enjoy medicine as a career.

It depends on the specialty in my opinion and from talking to multiple medical directors and regional directors. Procedure based specialties may take a bigger hit.

That's why people say don't go into a career solely for money... chances are you'll never be satisfied! Someone once told me would you still want to be a doctor if you didn't get paid anything. Your answer to this question should determine whether you'll enjoy medicine as a career.

That's a pretty ridiculous test to determine if you should go into medicine (or any career). I'd much rather work out, play games, and hang out with my friends rather than work for nothing.

That's a pretty ridiculous test to determine if you should go into medicine (or any career). I'd much rather work out, play games, and hang out with my friends rather than work for nothing.

A better test would be let me kick you in the nuts every day for 4 years, then you give me $200,000. If once we are done you can still say "thank you may I have another!", you know your ready

There would be very few doctors if premeds thought of it in those terms.

I'm not going into it for the money, but i would not be going into it if i got paid 100k, lets face it. I'm not working my ass off and studying this hard for 100k..that's why im asking. If u would work for 100k good for u ur better than me.

It's also a ridiculous test because one generally has to have a source of income in order to, well, survive.

I'm not going into it for the money, but i would not be going into it if i got paid 100k, lets face it. I'm not working my ass off and studying this hard for 100k..that's why im asking. If u would work for 100k good for u ur better than me.

That's fine. Everyone has their threshold of what they consider minimum reasonable compensation.

In north america, the only reason medicine is so competitive is because of the guaranteed high income + the prestige and respect. If salaries dropped low (actually low, not a 50k drop), average GPA scores and MCATs would go down in a linear fashion.

Here in Toronto, pharmacy has become much less effective once word has got around that "no more 100k starting salaries" and "no more standard jobs." Just evidence to show that it's all about money first, and then everything else. But why wouldnt it be? You only live once.