UCSD vs. Umich

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCSD or Umich?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hopesolo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I need your help in deciding between these two schools! I'd appreciate any advice/suggestions.

I'm a cali resident btw.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd pick UCSD, especially if you want to stay in California for residency.

The only reasons I can think of for picking Michigan are it's a lot cheaper, you really want some sort of connection (specific faculty, research, etc) that's at Michigan, or you want to go somewhere new.

Otherwise, for CA, UCSD +++

You can google their matchlist as well.

Hey guys I need your help in deciding between these two schools! I'd appreciate any advice/suggestions.

I'm a cali resident btw.

Let me rephrase your question for you:

Bitter cold and sexual ambiguity through oversize winter coats year-round or awesome beaches with hot ladies (or dudes) in swim suits?

Just sayin'.... ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Will attending Michigan give me a leg up for competitive residencies because it is ranked higher? It also seems Michigan is highly respected among residency directors according to usnews.

Will attending Michigan give me a leg up for competitive residencies because it is ranked higher? It also seems Michigan is highly respected among residency directors according to usnews.

On the east coast or midwest, probably, a little bit.

On the west coast, UCSD has the regional advantage.

This is the allo school specific thread... OP isn't talking about ugrad institutions.

.......How about neither? you will get curved like crazy at both schools. I highly advise people to go to small liberal arts colleges cause the name on your degree doesn't mean **** when you have a 3.3 and I'm graduating magna cum laude.

This is talking about medical school decisions, not undergrad choices... I also think your argument is a gross oversimplification, but I digress.

From my understanding, michigan has a better national reputation (not by a huge margin). Also, I'm not sure how useful looking at match lists is, because there is bound to be significant self selection at play. People attending ucsd likely have a higher propensity to want to remain in CA than people attending umich. To use match lists for this purpose you would need to know what proportion of students at umich that failed at matching back in Cali even though they wanted to...which you don't have access to.

This is the allo school specific thread... OP isn't talking about ugrad institutions.

Where did this comment even come from? Not a single comment that I saw had anything to do with UGs.... :rolleyes:

you bring up a very good point. people kept on telling me to look at the match list for each school, but i had no idea how to analyze it. it seemed like a lot of students from michigan were matching into very prestigious hospitals in the east coast while the majority of students from ucsd were matching into programs on the west coast but the programs did not seem to impressive. i might be completely off base on this.

This is talking about medical school decisions, not undergrad choices... I also think your argument is a gross oversimplification, but I digress.

From my understanding, michigan has a better national reputation (not by a huge margin). Also, I'm not sure how useful looking at match lists is, because there is bound to be significant self selection at play. People attending ucsd likely have a higher propensity to want to remain in CA than people attending umich. To use match lists for this purpose you would need to know what proportion of students at umich that failed at matching back in Cali even though they wanted to...which you don't have access to.

you bring up a very good point. people kept on telling me to look at the match list for each school, but i had no idea how to analyze it. it seemed like a lot of students from michigan were matching into very prestigious hospitals in the east coast while the majority of students from ucsd were matching into programs on the west coast but the programs did not seem to impressive. i might be completely off base on this.

The general trend of UCSD MD grads is to get into a good residency in California. The faculty, support, and connections are all already in place for this.

So if you want to to stay in CA, that track is pretty much guaranteed at UCSD.

Outside of CA, they are on fairly equal footing with a slight edge possibly to Michigan, especially in the midwest and northeast.

You really can't go wrong with either school. Right now we're just nitpicking.

The general trend of UCSD MD grads is to get into a good residency in California. The faculty, support, and connections are all already in place for this.

So if you want to to stay in CA, that track is pretty much guaranteed at UCSD.

Outside of CA, they are on fairly equal footing with a slight edge possibly to Michigan, especially in the midwest and northeast.

You really can't go wrong with either school. Right now we're just nitpicking.

Yea you are probably right.... Ahhh I hope I end up making the right decision. surprised that the majority of people are choosing UCSD.... Albeit the small sample size.

+1 UCSD. It would be a different answer if I was from Michigan/the Midwest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Disclaimer: I'm on the UCSD waitlist and want to attend for very personal reasons.

With that said, both schools are great and will allow you to match in cali, if that's what you want. My good friend went to Michigan and matched UCSF for internal med a few years ago. That's just one person, but the point is that coming from Michigan you will not be limited anywhere (many students attending Michigan CHOOSE to go East/midwest for residency, not bc they're limited.

All that said, good luck with your decision and congrats on a great app cycle!

Yea you are probably right.... Ahhh I hope I end up making the right decision. surprised that the majority of people are choosing UCSD.... Albeit the small sample size.

SDN has an some biases not always representative of the real world. They tend to heavily favor northeast schools, especially NYC.

Schools in the south and midwest are often quickly discounted, particularly WashU and Michigan. Except Mayo. Mayo is like pure gold laced with manna. Just because.

Keep that in mind...

SDN has an some biases not always representative of the real world. They tend to heavily favor northeast schools, especially NYC.

Schools in the south and midwest are often quickly discounted, particularly WashU and Michigan. Except Mayo. Mayo is like pure gold laced with manna. Just because.

Keep that in mind...

interesting... but this is quite alarming... on umich med admissions twitter they just tweeted that "the number of confirmations for the next class are at record highs."

i wonder if people are choosing ucsd over umich solely based off the weather.

Location Location Location.

Where you go to undergrad tends to give you a leg up on getting into that med school and med schools around it. Where you go to medical school helps you get residencies at that program and the programs around it. Where you do your residencies tend to give you a leg up with nearby fellowships. Where you do your fellowships is where you get contacts to find you jobs in the area. Where you do your job is very highly related to your quality of life.

In closing, my information might be 11 years out of date, but UCSD is a horrible medical school that treats their med students like crap and their residents are always bashed by the attendings and generally everybody hates the actual school itself, you should go there because it will help you out for the rest of your life.

In closing, my information might be 11 years out of date, but UCSD is a horrible medical school that treats their med students like crap and their residents are always bashed by the attendings and generally everybody hates the actual school itself, you should go there because it will help you out for the rest of your life.

man i hope your information is out of date.... i have heard that the students at ucsd medical school are cut-throat... hopefully with the change to pass/fail that has been alleviated...

interesting... but this is quite alarming... on umich med admissions twitter they just tweeted that "the number of confirmations for the next class are at record highs."

i wonder if people are choosing ucsd over umich solely based off the weather.

Or there are a lot of waitlisted Michigan applicants :laugh:

Where you go to undergrad tends to give you a leg up on getting into that med school and med schools around it. Where you go to medical school helps you get residencies at that program and the programs around it. Where you do your residencies tend to give you a leg up with nearby fellowships. Where you do your fellowships is where you get contacts to find you jobs in the area. Where you do your job is very highly related to your quality of life.

I don't know why this person thinks Ucsd is a horrible medical school!?! It's honesty one of the greatest places to learn and study medicine. The professors are wonderful and the facilities are great! Ucsd is highly regarded in San Diego and I really think anyone offered acceptance is very lucky!!

I don't know why this person thinks Ucsd is a horrible medical school!?! It's honesty one of the greatest places to learn and study medicine. The professors are wonderful and the facilities are great! Ucsd is highly regarded in San Diego and I really think anyone offered acceptance is very lucky!!

11 years ago UCSD was not as great as they are now. 20 years ago, they were unranked and low tier.

The recent years are a different story.

I would go UCSD. Just watch yo kids an' watch yo wife. Lot of raping on campus.

I'm on the UCSD WL and I'd still tell you to pick SD.

Because it has a cut throat every man for itself reputation. If you want to know if it is a good place you really have to ask a 4th year med student or recent graduate. My opinion of USC changed drastically from the time I was a 2nd year until I was a 4th year.

Wait,,,,, how much is the cost????

over the 4 years, michigan will be about $40000 more. i'm really interested in global health, which i know michigan has a very strong global health program

if in the future i want to go into academic medicine or have administrative positions, will attending ucsd (since it is lower ranked), hurt my chances?

Is ranking very important to you (nothing wrong with it, imo)?

I only ask because you've brought it up twice. Frankly, the difference of #10 (Michigan) vs. #16 (UCSD) is pretty negligible. Both are very prestigious institutions that will serve as the "pedigree" that some tout as being a requirement for academic medicine.

As others have said, with all else being equal, go with location. If you want to stay in the west for residency, go with UCSD. If location doesn't matter to you (for med school and residency), then either choice is golden.

if in the future i want to go into academic medicine or have administrative positions, will attending ucsd (since it is lower ranked), hurt my chances?

Probably not. Although Michigan does have the edge in national reputation I would say, if that matters to you or future employers.

I get the feeling like you are leaning UCSD though. If yes then go for it! You are well situated to do anythibg you want from either of these schools.

I don't think it will either. If you're really really serious about global health and Michigan's program is much better, then I'd give Michigan a second thought. But if location is a factor that weighs more and if if you liked UCSD, then I'd probably go there. I feel like contacts within your prospective field (if you're one of the few who already know!) shouldn't be underestimated.

Because it has a cut throat every man for itself reputation. If you want to know if it is a good place you really have to ask a 4th year med student or recent graduate. My opinion of USC changed drastically from the time I was a 2nd year until I was a 4th year.

UCSD has changed a bit since then; they went from abcd grading to h/p/f and got a new dean which has changed things a bit. They're no longer recruiting only super gunner stat-***** people, which they'd done in the past. I heard the clinical years are still hard there, but you get good training. That being said, its well-documented UM is pretty malignant in the clinical years especially vis a vis grading. I'd choose to go to SD if you care about staying in CA for residency.

i decided to withdraw my spot at michigan. thanks everyone for your input!

enjoy the San Diego weather! It's really nice today.

Status
Not open for further replies.