SGU residency match 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha I would LOVE to see what the Carribean med school supporters say in the next 3-4 years when the crunch sets in. They might be getting away with it now but their fates are sealed. Btw, no way SGU's match list is comparable to a DO school's! Many DO's PREFER going into primary care. But there's no need in upsetting the delusional IMGs. We'll let the results speak for themselves soon enough

Members don't see this ad.

Haha I would LOVE to see what the Carribean med school supporters say in the next 3-4 years when the crunch sets in. They might be getting away with it now but their fates are sealed. Btw, no way SGU's match list is comparable to a DO school's! Many DO's PREFER going into primary care. But there's no need in upsetting the delusional IMGs. We'll let the results speak for themselves soon enough

I actually dont think that the future is THAT bleak for Caribbean grads. There will always be some terrible Family med residency with open spots somewhere in America.

Yeah, Caribbean wont match surgery or ROADs, but I have a hard time believing they will not find a residency anywhere.

I actually dont think that the future is THAT bleak for Caribbean grads. There will always be some terrible Family med residency with open spots somewhere in America.

Yeah, Caribbean wont match surgery or ROADs, but I have a hard time believing they will not find a residency anywhere.
I don't.

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't see why people don't get it, its simple math!!! If # of american grads = # of residency positions, then that leaves NO spots for IMGs/FMGs. I don't buy into the bull**** of the "best" candidate will get the spot; a USMG will always get a spot over an IMG, no matter what! (except maybe for a few, once-in-a-blue-moon situations).

I don't see why people don't get it, its simple math!!! If # of american grads = # of residency positions, then that leaves NO spots for IMGs/FMGs. I don't buy into the bull**** of the "best" candidate will get the spot; a USMG will always get a spot over an IMG, no matter what! (except maybe for a few, once-in-a-blue-moon situations).

Aren't there like 1000 empty DO Family med residencies? Aren't both matches combining? Wont there be that many more DO Fam med residencies avalible come match time?

Aren't there like 1000 empty DO Family med residencies? Aren't both matches combining? Wont there be that many more DO Fam med residencies avalible come match time?

Those might be available now, and maybe that explains why the percentage of FMG and IMG's matching have actually gone up this year. BUT, in the long run, the number of DO and USMD seats are rising and there isn't a matching increase in number of residency spots. So, those 1000 FM spots will one day be filled by USMG's

Those might be available now, and maybe that explains why the percentage of FMG and IMG's matching have actually gone up this year. BUT, in the long run, the number of DO and USMD seats are rising and there isn't a matching increase in number of residency spots. So, those 1000 FM spots will one day be filled by USMG's

Eh, by that time, Congress will lift the cap on funding for residencies.

Eh, by that time, Congress will lift the cap on funding for residencies.

I really don't think thats going to happen, they've tried before, but nothing has successfully passed. Also, they have stated that their GOAL is to reduce their dependence on FMG/IMG's. So, in the near future, it is VERY unlikely it'll happen.

I really don't think thats going to happen, they've tried before, but nothing has successfully passed. Also, they have stated that their GOAL is to reduce their dependence on FMG/IMG's. So, in the near future, it is VERY unlikely it'll happen.

Well, I mean med schools are still being opened, but the amount of residencies have not changed. If there are no new residencies in the near future, are you suggesting that there will be some newly graduated students that will not match in like 2020?

Well, I mean med schools are still being opened, but the amount of residencies have not changed. If there are no new residencies in the near future, are you suggesting that there will be some newly graduated students that will not match in like 2020?

They say by 2020 the number of US grads equal residency spots. I hope they figure out something to accommodate ALL US grads, but those days of FMGs/IMGs coming in masses are over, the number of spots won't increase that much to allow that to happen. Ive heard over and over by ppl in AMA and the ACGME that their goal is to squeeze out FMGs, but I'm sure there smart enough to make sure there will always be spots for US grads (at least I hope so anyways). Sometimes when I think about it, I realize I'm a bigot when it comes to FMG's and IMG's :D

Dude! I'll start by saying u sound like an obvious pre-med. u r in no position to say things as "always" and "never" under any circumstances. The PURPOSE of ACGmE and AOA merging is to united the two. I'm not gonna waist my time here explaining to a bunch of per-meds that the two patters after ur name is still DOCTOR. Dude!!! Hopkins, UCLA, DUKe have great professors of medicine that are DOs! I had a DO professor in my first year of med school. and also FYI OMM is up and coming. I had a friend sufferi g from disk herniation in her lower spinal cord and poor girl! Sad to say the MDs were only able to put her on muscle relaxers and she had to suffer for the rest of her life. Until she met a DO who perform OMm on her and was able to adjust/move/manipulate the disk in the area. She couldn't believe it! She is now ACTIVELY seeking a DO med school. I'm sorry but although I am in MD school I have ALOt of respect for OMM. I see them as having an addition tool I never had while gaining compatible medical education. For all the premed a out there:stop filling ur head up with nonsense! U wanna go to an island for ur education them go ahead! Like mental prob said: DO school is getting very competitive out there so do t assume if u get rejected from MD ull get into a DO.

Did you really have to make an account to refute my post? If you ever do come back on SDN and read this post, I will say this. I don't know how you got the inference that MD > DO from my post. I have absolute respect for DOs and will be applying to it also. Did you miss the part of DOs residencies will prefer DO students? DO students will have done OMM and this is one reason they will be preferred. This is my logic behind it and of course "always" maybe an extreme word but "mostly" is the correct term.

The next thing you do is throw out one situation where OMM helped a person. You need to show studies and not just an example (it has helped but not as significantly as you think).

Lastly, of course DO schools are getting more competitive but my statement had nothing do with getting into osteopathic medical school but osteopathic residency. We have no idea what the merger will mean for osteopathic students in the future. Hopefully it will mean less bias against DOs students enter ACGME residencies but there is a high chance there will be a bias.

Read my post correctly before jumping to conclusions.

I'm not in any way getting in the middle of a hot thread like this..

Just keep in mind that SGU does not discern b/w preliminary surgery positions and categorical surgery positions (which are VERY different) when listing "surgery" as the specialty.

I can tell from a few of the programs listed that they do have categorical matches, but it isn't more than a few. Most of them are probably prelimiinary.

Members don't see this ad :)

I actually think it will still happen. The uncertainty, however, is enough to make me not want to go there. Hopefully I won't have to. I was recently at an interview and a ton of students were heading to DC to lobby congress for more residency spots (DO on the Hill). They seemed pretty concerned that if things don't change come 2016 there are going to be more US MGs than residency spots. I wouldn't be surprised if by that time they are successful in increasing the residency spots either from congressional funding or even private funding.

Also, there are a decent amount of NYC residencies that flat out prefer SGU graduates over DOs, mostly because those SGU students are rotating in those hospitals much more. Given that, I'd say that SGU graduates will always have a place in NYC. I'm sure it'll be tighter for the IMGs, but some of them will still match, maybe less than now, but some still will.

Again though, its not worth the risk as far as I'm concerned.

Anyone else think it's odd that SGU already has a 2013 match list out?

I think it was decided earlier in the thread that by 2013, they meant the PGY-2 spots matched in 2012.

This year, there were 537 DO residency positions open after the AOA match. 606 DOs failed to match in the AOA match. Most of those vacant positions filled after the scramble.

Last edited:
This year, there were 537 DO residency positions open after the AOA match. 606 DOs failed to match in the AOA match. Most of those vacant positions filled after the scramble.

how many spots were left after the scramble?

Out of those 606, how many also applied for the ACGME match? There must be some that applied for both, and just didn't rank or didn't accept interviews at AOA residencies.

how many spots were left after the scramble?

They don't publish those results. From my classmates and my school's administration it seems like most of the spots filled post scramble. There are, however, some family medicine and internal medicine programs that are still unfilled, but not many.

Out of those 606, how many also applied for the ACGME match? There must be some that applied for both, and just didn't rank or didn't accept interviews at AOA residencies.

They don't release that kind of data either. I know at my school, about 30 people failed to match in the aoa match, and the majority of them scrambled into an AOA residency or internship. They didn't apply for an Acgme program.

The aoa match rate is around 78% and 75% for the Acgme match.

I know those numbers don't look great, but a lot of DOs have bad board scores. If you simply do average on the usmle you'll be fine and you'll have plenty of options..

Last edited:
imho sgu is on par with established do schools. its attrition rate is said to be much lower than the other caribbean schools (30% for ross from what i hear). it also pays big bucks to secure quality rotation sites in the states, while some lower-tiered do schools have few ward-based rotations. a hard-working student can excel at either sgu or a do school. but if a student is struggling, going do would be a much safer route. and don't forget the match merger ahead; the landscape is going to change drastically for sgu.

Difference is that at DO schools everyone who's fit for residency will get one if he/she wants it (in the current GME environment). This just isn't the case in the offshore medical school world.

I know a guy who got high grades at SGU, made a 230 on his USMLE, honored most rotations and is still trying to match FM anywhere 5 years after the end of his 4th year.

Yes that's right, he's been through 5 matches and hasn't matched at all, not even in the scramble/SOAP. He's been working at a factory in Georgia with $300K in non-dischargeable debt in the meantime. I don't think he will match after spending that many years outside the game.

He hasn't even been able to find a job in the pharmaceutical industry like you always hear about med-school dropouts doing. He's really in a nightmare scenario.

This is the real risk people take when attending medical school in the Carribbean.

Difference is that at DO schools everyone who's fit for residency will get one if he/she wants it (in the current GME environment). This just isn't the case in the offshore medical school world.

I know a guy who got high grades at SGU, made a 230 on his USMLE, honored most rotations and is still trying to match FM anywhere 5 years after the end of his 4th year.

Yes that's right, he's been through 5 matches and hasn't matched at all, not even in the scramble/SOAP. He's been working at a factory in Georgia with $300K in non-dischargeable debt in the meantime. I don't think he will match after spending that many years outside the game.

He hasn't even been able to find a job in the pharmaceutical industry like you always hear about med-school dropouts doing. He's really in a nightmare scenario.

This is the real risk people take when attending medical school in the Carribbean.

I have heard a few similar nightmare stories. I have two close personal friends that are both attending emergency medicine physicians; both attended SGU. Both of them were adamant about how hard I should steer clear of any Caribbean medical school and only use it as an extreme last resort nowadays (but if I still wanted to go to medical school and couldn't get in to a US one, then only even consider SGU...and then still don't do it). FYI both graduated almost a decade ago...the game was different then.

Bud you shouldn't lean so much on just because I go to a US school I will get a residency spot. The only reason 50% MATCH out of the carib is because that is the cream of the crop. Student from sgu and ross will always match. One because there from the US and they score well on the step exams. Right now US med students match at a higher rate because the positions are available with plenty left for the best of the carib students. As residency spots decrease so will the percentage of US students matching. If you notice the US carib med students numbers keep increasing every YR not decreasing.

Last edited:

Sounds like a made up story I know many SGU students that have matched into top tier programs. Something is missing from this story.

Sounds like a made up story I know many SGU students that have matched into top tier programs. Something is missing from this story.

Yours sounds more anecdotal. How many is many and what do you consider "top tier" ? I personally know 10+ DO/MD students that have matched without a problem. The one Ross student I know that was applying this cycle failed to get into any FM residences.

Yours sounds more anecdotal. How many is many and what do you consider "top tier" ? I personally know 10+ DO/MD students that have matched without a problem. The one Ross student I know that was applying this cycle failed to get into any FM residences.
Take a look at the SGU residency match list or just google it. Between 2010 and 11 there matching at a 98% clip.

Bud you shouldn't lean so much on just because I go to a US school I will get a residency spot. The only reason 50% MATCH out of the carib is because that is the cream of the crop. Student from sgu and ross will always match. One because there from the US and they score well on the step exams. Right now US med students match at a higher rate because the positions are available with plenty left for the best of the carib students. As residency spots decrease so will the percentage of US students matching. If you notice the US carib med students numbers keep increasing every YR not decreasing.

Are you freaking kidding me lmao?! You have it the other way around bud! The reason "50%" match (I seriously doubt it is even that high) is because there is an abundance of spots, NOT because they beat out US grads. That has and WILL NEVER happen!!! Thanks for the laugh though!! It must suck being a desperate caribbean grad or student! I do feel bad arguing with you guys though, its like arguing with a crazy person; NO amount of facts and figures will ever convince you guys. You will always just rely on that one anecdotal story about a SGU grad matching into a categorical gen surg or something. Just to recap: 1) You have it backwards 2) You have to be HIGH to think a respectable US residency program will take an SGU grad over an USMG (either MD or DO) 3) The only reason IMGs match percentage went up this year is because there are more of them applying this year and many USMG's didn't go for the lower tiered IM/FM residencies (they aimed higher, but the ones that failed later scrambled to those positions). 4) USMG match percentage will go down one day...... WAY AFTER carribean med schools are shut down and SGU is used as a beach resort. :smuggrin:

Believe me, I wish it were. Unfortunately it's not.

His wife was asking around for advice about the SOAP this year and mentioned that they've been trying to match for 4 years (with this being their 5th). As of Thursday I believe, they still hadn't found a program so they probably didn't find a residency again this year.

I have also read their blog, which was depressing to say the least.

Horrible story.

Are you freaking kidding me lmao?! You have it the other way around bud! The reason "50%" match (I seriously doubt it is even that high) is because there is an abundance of spots, NOT because they beat out US grads. That has and WILL NEVER happen!!! Thanks for the laugh though!! It must suck being a desperate caribbean grad or student! I do feel bad arguing with you guys though, its like arguing with a crazy person; NO amount of facts and figures will ever convince you guys. You will always just rely on that one anecdotal story about a SGU grad matching into a categorical gen surg or something. Just to recap: 1) You have it backwards 2) You have to be HIGH to think a respectable US residency program will take an SGU grad over an USMG (either MD or DO) 3) The only reason IMGs match percentage went up this year is because there are more of them applying this year and many USMG's didn't go for the lower tiered IM/FM residencies (they aimed higher, but the ones that failed later scrambled to those positions). 4) USMG match percentage will go down one day...... WAY AFTER carribean med schools are shut down and SGU is used as a beach resort. :smuggrin:
I hear the same bull every yr but numbers don't lie, you just keep leaning on that US DO School and not on grades we will see what happens in 4 yrs P.S You must be from the west One other note to be exact 54% matched and there were more US MD students matching into family medicine and IM this yr, check your facts try visiting the NRMP Website. One last thing if there weren't DO schools you wouldn't be in a US medical school lets not forget that...

Last edited:
Take a look at the SGU residency match list or just google it. Between 2010 and 11 there matching at a 98% clip.

No no, you said you know many students that matched.

I hear the same bull every yr but numbers don't lie, you just keep leaning on that US MD School and not on grades we will see what happens in 4 yrs P.S You must be from the west One other note to be exact 54% matched and there were more US students matching into family medicine and IM this yr check your facts try visiting the NRMP Website. One last thing if there weren't DO schools you wouldn't be in a US medical school lets not forget that...

You know what, I'm not going to argue with a hopeless carrib student who's best chance is to match a FM residency in the middle of nowhere, North Dakota. You forget to realize that the US MD students matching to those FM and IM WANT to, they have the luxury to choose!!!! Those numbers have other factors aiding it. I wish DocEspana and Dr. Hockey were here, they used to pown pro-carrib students with actual stats, projections and stuff (DocE was actually a board member on the AMA or something). But they're too busy doing great rotations or getting good residency positions because of their DO school and not worrying about doing "clinical rotations" in a 10-bed community hospital in the middle of nowhere.

But I digress, I wish you the best of luck at your carribean school. Its easy for me to criticize you guys while I go to an MD school. I hope you end up in the top 10% of your class, get above a 240+ on your step and have a chance for an FM residency in the middle of nowhere :)

PS. If you look at my post history you will see that I go to an US MD school in Texas. Maybe if you had some common sense and did some background check, you would've gotten a better gpa and mcat and gotten into a US School! I'm only here because I love DO schools and many of my friends are in DO programs, and someone has to stand up for them. Peace and enjoy the beach and jerk chicken

You know what, I'm not going to argue with a hopeless carrib student who's best chance is to match a FM residency in the middle of nowhere, North Dakota. You forget to realize that the US MD students matching to those FM and IM WANT to, they have the luxury to choose!!!! Those numbers have other factors aiding it. I wish DocEspana and Dr. Hockey were here, they used to pown pro-carrib students with actual stats, projections and stuff (DocE was actually a board member on the AMA or something). But they're too busy doing great rotations or getting good residency positions because of their DO school and not worrying about doing "clinical rotations" in a 10-bed community hospital in the middle of nowhere.

But I digress, I wish you the best of luck at your carribean school. Its easy for me to criticize you guys while I go to an MD school. I hope you end up in the top 10% of your class, get above a 240+ on your step and have a chance for an FM residency in the middle of nowhere :)

PS. If you look at my post history you will see that I go to an US MD school in Texas. Maybe if you had some common sense and did some background check, you would've gotten a better gpa and mcat and gotten into a US School! I'm only here because I love DO schools and many of my friends are in DO programs, and someone has to stand up for them. Peace and enjoy the beach and jerk chicken
Thanks because while I enjoy the great weather on breaks. I will finish in the top 10% of my class, publish a paper or 2 and then get into a specialty spot in 4 yrs. Look forward to posting it right hear.... I was right about the West. So funny Just for you info, it wasn't my MCAT score that kept me out but my GPA suffered because I graduated with a real diploma in Microbiology and Genetics Engineering.

Last edited:
May the force be with you on your extremely difficult and nearly impossible uphill climb! And fill up on that jerk chicken yo! They won't have any in the middle of Wishek, North Dakota. Good luck and no hard feelings!

May the force be with you on your extremely difficult and nearly impossible uphill climb! And fill up on that jerk chicken yo! They won't have any in the middle of Wishek, North Dakota. Good luck and no hard feelings!
I truly enjoyed the exchange and also good luck to you, we will talk in 4 yrs

Yes! Unless if I forget because I won't have a chip on my shoulder or have to climb an uphill battle or worry about the bottom barrell residency spot because im an USMG (but of course I have to work hard, not implying these will be handed to me!) But anyways good luck bro, for real!

I hear the same bull every yr but numbers don't lie, you just keep leaning on that US DO School and not on grades we will see what happens in 4 yrs P.S You must be from the west One other note to be exact 54% matched and there were more US MD students matching into family medicine and IM this yr, check your facts try visiting the NRMP Website. One last thing if there weren't DO schools you wouldn't be in a US medical school lets not forget that...

And this sentence comes out of a caribbean student. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

i really don't understand why many caribs hate on osteopathic students, what have we ever done to them??

Dude there's no need getting upset over it. It's like the fat kid in high school (carrib med students) who hates the smart football player sleeping
with the kid's crush (DO student) (obviously I've seen a lot of 90s teen movies). I guess the girl in this metaphor would be good US residencies (bit of a stretch). There's no need to get upset because it's pathetic and they pose absolutely no threat lol!! But back in the day DocEspana and others would put these delusional carribean med students in their place, so they stopped posting their nonsense. But they have been coming back ever since DocE and co stopped posting and stuff, kinda like pests lol

Don't forget that all AOA residencies will eventually have to meet the more stringent ACGME requirements or get shut down.

Does that number take into account attrition and/or deceleration? Just a hunch, but I'm guessing the rate for all entering SGU students matching 4 years later is not quite as high.

And this sentence comes out of a caribbean student. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

i really don't understand why many caribs hate on osteopathic students, what have we ever done to them??

Take their residencies.

To put it in the words of Southpark......"They took our jobs!"

Dude there's no need getting upset over it. It's like the fat kid in high school (carrib med students) who hates the smart football player sleeping
with the kid's crush (DO student) (obviously I've seen a lot of 90s teen movies). I guess the girl in this metaphor would be good US residencies (bit of a stretch). There's no need to get upset because it's pathetic and they pose absolutely no threat lol!! But back in the day DocEspana and others would put these delusional carribean med students in their place, so they stopped posting their nonsense. But they have been coming back ever since DocE and co stopped posting and stuff, kinda like pests lol

To be very fair, DO students dont really match into competitive specialties. Where are all the ENT spots? Uro?

Most, with the exception of Ortho, gen surgery, and maybe Gas, DOs have a hard time matching into anything BUT FM and IM.

To be very fair, DO students dont really match into competitive specialties. Where are all the ENT spots? Uro?

Most, with the exception of Ortho, gen surgery, and maybe Gas, DOs have a hard time matching into anything BUT FM and IM.

good point. MD's easily match into Uro and ENT.

Anesthesia gets a ton of foreign grads, not to mention a ton of unfilled spots in the match. You do realize ROADs is not an acronym for competitiveness, yeah?

good point. MD's easily match into Uro and ENT.
LOL. I was about to say that. With the AOA match, a DO has better chances of going into Uro, ENT, any ROAD or surgical specialty compared to an offshore MD.

Bud your in a DO school come down off that high your on. SGU entry numbers match up with any US DO schools 24-26 MCAT with a 3.4 conbined GPA. And if a residency crunch comes you guys will feel it also....

Last edited:
Bud your in a DO school come down off that high your on. SGU entry numbers much up with any US DO schools 24-26 MCAT with a 3.4 conbined GPA. And if a residency crunch comes you guys will feel it also....

As shucks! I hope dem' der' MDs leave us poor DO folk sum of dem' residencies!

Bud your in a DO school come down off that high your on. SGU entry numbers much up with any US DO schools 24-26 MCAT with a 3.4 conbined GPA. And if a residency crunch comes you guys will feel it also....

A lot of people choose DO and didn't even apply to MD due to reasons other than stats, with me being one of those people. If there's a residency crunch any time soon, it will be with everyone. The discussion will be who will feel it the most, which are IMG/FMG folk.

In 2013 the Acgme match rate was 75% for DOs and 53% for USIMGs. Please don't go to a carribean school over a DO school.

Being a DO is a disadvantage, but it isn't as bad as SDN makes it seems. If you take the usmle and do about average (224) you'll be fine and you'll likely match at a solid university program, if that's what you want.

laricb, may god have mercy on your soul. don't hate on us. DO's don't run the ACGME, if anything, blame USMDs

although it seems bad that DO's match at only 75% in ACGME residencies, don't forget there is the AOA match too

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.