Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi,
Can anyone offer any wisdom about parking near Bard? I'd like to live there 1st year, but really don't want to sell my car.
Thanks!

I think you would have to pay for a parking space in a lot somewhere (if there are any lots). It would be way too hard for you to park on the streets. Not a lot of parking up there.

Members don't see this ad.

Parking is definitely tight up around Columbia. It's the kind of area where cars double park overnight and on street cleaning day people wait in their cars for the street sweeper, move briefly, and then re-park.

If you're looking for a parking spot around the P&S campus, you've got 3 options:
1) Park on the street.
- Pros = cheap
- Cons = unreliable, inconvenient, you have to move your car at specified hours for street cleaning during the weekday

2) Park in a lot.
- The nearest lot is on 176th/177th and Broadway. It is fairly priced for Manhattan (which is to say that it is not cheap).
- Pros - safe, reliable
- Cons - expensive, several blocks of walking required if you live in Bard/Towers

3) Park in Towers.
- Towers 2/3 have a lot underneath the building. I am not sure how much it costs or what the availability is. I do know that one of my classmates commutes to class daily from Westchester (30 minutes north of Washington Heights) and parks in Towers, so you don't necessarily need to be a resident to get a spot.
- Pros - safe, convenient, reliable
- Cons - probably not cheap, may be limited availability

Members don't see this ad :)
so what about parking for my visiting friends for a weekend or something? what are the costs and locations for that?

also -- i know you're allowed to have guests spend the night in bard if you register them. is there something special you have to do if they are going to stay 2-3 nights in a row?

If you have friends/family visiting, then they have pretty much the same options for short-term parking as you do for long-term parking. The only difference is that I don't believe you can come-and-go in Towers -- so your friends would either need to find a place on the street or go to the 177th street lot.

You would want to check in with the housing office for more details and to double check on everything -- you can contact them via their website at www.[URL="http://cumc-housing.columbia.edu/"]cumc-housing.columbia.edu[/URL]

There is no special protocol for long-term Bard guests -- just inform the security guard of the duration of the stay so they can make an appropriately long guest pass.

Short term parking:

Tower 2/3 parking is $15/12hrs. You have to buy tickets in advance from P&S 2nd floor.

I stand corrected re: Tower parking. Thanks for the clarification! :)

- TY

official (i.e. withdrawn from everywhere else...) itis really going to happen..Columbia it is. yay.

Now that I got that out of my system....I have some questions about Bard:

I haven't lived in a dorm for a long time (>10 years). I decided to go with the dorm option because I think it will be a great way to get to know you all, and it will be great to live simply for a year. The downside of living in a dorm: I prefer to prepare my own meals, as much as possible. Does Columbia go through a company to rent mini-fridges (my school did this, and delivered them right to our rooms) or is that something that students have to purchase on their own? Just another thing to budget and think about.

Also, I only vaguely remember from the tour that there is a kitchen on the floor with the rooftop patio...is there only one for the whole building? Is it in good working order? Or should I just think about just (discreetly) bringing my own hotplate and rice cooker?

How is the gym? Is it a reasonably good size, or is it more along the lines of two treadmills and a stationary bike (sometimes schools exaggerate about their facilities...and if so, I am going to look for local gyms)

These, and other questions may seem like silly details. But I hope to take care of the details early, because I expect that orientation and the start of school will be busy...I want to start off on the right (that is healthy and settled) foot. Thanks!

The Bard gym is decent in size. 4 ellipticals, 4 gauntlet/stairmasters, 7 treadmills, 4 squash courts, 1 basketball court, dance studio, swimming pool (~25 meters in length, 4 lanes) and a bunch of machines - free for Columbia students. There is a also the Free Weight Club (~$150 for the year I think) which has all standard free weights, cable machine, benches, 1 bike, 1 treadmill, and a very nice sound system & plasma TV. They just redid it - always lots of guys in there...testosterone oozes out the door.

hope that helps!

Thanks for the responses Severus and Ivy91. Great!

Kouhiiko,

In response to your cooking question, Bard does have a kitchen, but I would suggest bringing some of your own stuff if you're really serious about cooking. There are a bunch of us who have cooking paraphernalia in our rooms, and it hasn't been a problem. I have a microwave, microwave rice cooker, Foreman Next Grilleration (with the interchangable plates), and an electric wok. I also brought my own mini fridge since I already had one, but Columbia doesn't rent them out. I've been able to make most of my meals, but I'll admit I'm still looking forward to the Towers and my own full kitchen again.

I looked more into the parking thing, but basically it's all bad. Towers parking is only for students who commute to campus and is not available for residents of Bard. The cheapest nearby lot is $175/mo for mon-fri parking only. For 7 days a week there is a lot for $225/mo. I think that is more than half of what is budgeted for a month's living expenses:(

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked more into the parking thing, but basically it's all bad. Towers parking is only for students who commute to campus and is not available for residents of Bard. The cheapest nearby lot is $175/mo for mon-fri parking only. For 7 days a week there is a lot for $225/mo. I think that is more than half of what is budgeted for a month's living expenses:(

uh oh - that doesn't sound good at all. maybe, no car? :(

Foreman Next Grilleration (with the interchangable plates)

sweet.

I have a plain ol' George Foreman, which isn't the greatest grill out there (no interchangeable plates, no temperature control, single hinge design doesn't allow for grilling tall sandwiches), but it does the trick.

In addition, I have an electric griddle that I bought from Target (short subway ride from campus, 30 or 40 bucks) for eggs and stir-fry, a rice cooker, microwave and fridge. I got my fridge from craigslist since I was in the city before hand, but you get it from second year students who will be selling all their stuff. My fridge has a pretty sizable freezer, which is great for vegetables, buying meat in bulk, and of course ice cream. I would avoid mini-fridges without freezers.

The Bard gym is decent in size. 4 ellipticals, 4 gauntlet/stairmasters, 7 treadmills, 4 squash courts, 1 basketball court, dance studio, swimming pool (~25 meters in length, 4 lanes) and a bunch of machines - free for Columbia students. There is a also the Free Weight Club (~$150 for the year I think) which has all standard free weights, cable machine, benches, 1 bike, 1 treadmill, and a very nice sound system & plasma TV. They just redid it - always lots of guys in there...testosterone oozes out the door.

hope that helps!
Free weight club is an affordable $75/year.

Yeah it's looking like I gotta sell it. The problem is that I will go positively stir crazy if I can't get out of the city, especially being so close to the gunks and the daks. Anybody got any suggestions?

Just going to throw my 2 cents in.

1) Fridge - There is a Target at 225th street in the Bronx with all the amenities of a standard Target -- it's a 20 minute subway ride uptown. Waiting outside the store are off-license cabbies who will take you down to Haven Avenue with all your supplies for about $15 (which is about what it would cost in a metered cab).

That said, most incoming students have no trouble buying microwaves, fridges, and ACs in August off of 2nd years who move into the Towers.

2) Kitchen - Currently there is a single kitchen on the 11th floor. By August, the housing office has promised to install another kitchen on the 3rd floor. This kitchen should have the same amenities as the 11th floor kitchen (fridge, oven, stovetops, etc).

3) Car - I gotta be honest with you -- if there is one city on earth where having a car is more trouble than it's worth, it's probably NYC. Don't worry, you can get out of the city when you need to; we all do. You'll have enough classmates from NJ, Long Island, CT, and upstate NY that you can go on weekend trips with them and get away from the concrete jungle for a few.

4) Bard - Bard gets a bad rap. You've got elevators, 2 gyms, a darkroom, a music practice room, a security guard (i.e. a doorman), free kitchen, pay no utilities, 2 lounges, rooftop deck, pool table, free internet, perfect location for being a student: plus, it's super social and I have gotten to know all my classmates (as well as nursing, dental, and public health students) by virtue of being in this unglamorous dorm. Do I wish I had my own kitchen? You bet. Would it be nice to have my own shower? Absolutely. But the pros outweigh the cons for me. I just keep in mind that in paying about 1/4 of what my i-banking friends who live downtown pay in rent, I get at LEAST double the space and a dozen other perks that they would love to have. Plus, by living in Bard for a year, you are guaranteed to live in Towers at least 2 of the next 3 years. What's not to love about that?

P&S is awesome, you are going to love it here. Email me if you have any questions at all -- my email is [email protected]

- Tyler

What up all I'm the newest addition to the class of 2011, just got in yesterday. Can't wait to meet all of you in August.

Garrison1 that's great news! Congrats.

BrianFantana and Badlydrawnvik,

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Does anyone know if we have to put down like a $100 deposit when accepted? It doesn't say anything about it in the letters, did you guys send in just the response form?

Just the response form -- they don't require a deposit. I called to check up on that very same thing when I had a post-May 15 mini-freakout!

I think my parents are going to come visit for the white coat ceremony, anybody have any recommendations for hotels? I'm just looking for something nice, not a hojo, but doesn't have to be the ritz either.
Thanks!

That's great that your folks are coming for the white coat ceremony!

As for hotels: unfortunately there aren't any hotels in/around the Columbia Medical Center area. I would recommend getting a hotel that is further downtown, but still on the west side of Manhattan -- that way they can take the subway up without having to transfer.

Hello. I am going to be a second-year next year. Welcome to P&S! I hope you enjoy your first year as much as I did.

Last summer, I bought a mini-fridge from a girl on SDN (on the class of 2010 thread, to be precise :) ). Now I'd like to try to re-sell it on the class of 2011 thread and pass the juju on. It's a little over waist-high and has a full freezer. It's about 3 years old and works great. I'd like to sell it for $50 or best offer. Depending on when you move in, I could sell it to you on either the last week of July or the last week of August, or later. PM me if you're interested, and I'll send you a full-sized color photograph and we can talk shop.

Yeah it's looking like I gotta sell it. The problem is that I will go positively stir crazy if I can't get out of the city, especially being so close to the gunks and the daks. Anybody got any suggestions?

Brooklyn and Queens are both fantastic and easily subway-accessible. Coney Island and beaches that are farther out are accessibly by trains, and they have great summer events. Also, trains to Long Island, Connecticut, and Jersey may take you to less swarmed areas. So, rail is your friend!

I've taken buses to Washington and Boston -- you can pretty much find a bus to any old town you want to go to as well.

I strongly, strongly second everyone's recommendation of not having a car here! The odd trip out of the city is absolutely not worth the hassle and it is truly far less convenient (and far more expensive) than public transport.

RE: Finding a hotel for your parents, I suggest scrounging for an independent hotel. The Courtyard Marriott in midtown isn't bad either and has a reasonable price by NY standards. She can always stay with you in Bard :laugh:

Are you a climber?

Congrats on the riverview! I had one this year and it worked out great--a wonderful deal for 600+ per month. You'll have a nice view of the Hundson and the GW bridge.

As for anyone living in Bard, I recommend getting a mini-fridge (you can buy them cheap in the fall from older students) and a microwave to help with cooking. The 11th floor kitchen isn't quite enough.

I'm living in Towers next year and I'll definitely miss having music rooms (one of which contains Rachmaninoff's piano), a study lounge, a gym and a pool downstairs in my building!

Just got my housing assignment in the mail today!!!!!

Very excited... got a riverview!!!! YEAH!!!:D :D :hardy: I'm getting so excited now.:biglove:

I just got my housing info and I'm in a riverview too!! Having an actual room number is starting to make it feel "more real"....yay! :clap:

Hey, if anyone is looking for a mini-fridge, I have one for sale. Congrats to all the new P&Sers.

To those who have received their housing info: when was it postmarked?

To those who have received their housing info: when was it postmarked?

i got a partial riverview...do any of you current students know what it's like to live in a #34?

i feel like i'll be staring at y'all riverview-ers' scaffolding (i think the construction is on that side of the building)

i got a partial riverview...do any of you current students know what it's like to live in a #34?

i feel like i'll be staring at y'all riverview-ers' scaffolding (i think the construction is on that side of the building)
I live in a #32, and it has a beautiful view of the river and downtown. In my opinion, partial riverview is better than riverview. I think #34 has about the same line of sight, with a little of the view obscured by a building.

Hi there. Anyone know what's up with orientation? My mom is making noises about coming to the White Coat Ceremony. What's this all about, and do many parents show up?

I was wondering about orientation week too, and when we will receive more info about the schedule and activities. Is the move-in day a pretty open day as far as activities go? I am not sure how early in the day I will get there. I may see about moving in a day early...I want time to stock my fridge, etc. so I don't waste a lot of money on eating out or eating fast food.

On another note, I read somewhere that some people bring air conditioners, and that for a "small fee" the university installs them for you. Sure August will be hot, but is an air conditioner a must-have in Bard, or more like a nice-to-have? Does anyone know about how much the fee to install the air conditioners are? Are air conditioners something that are also passed down (i.e. sold), like fridges, from second years to first years?
Do most students who buy things from other students, make arrangements before they arrive? Or do the second years advertise with flyers, etc. and wait until the first years are on campus?

I am trying to decide if it is worth the cost, or whether I should just suck up the heat for a month.

Any thoughts from folks who lived in Bard during August/Sept?

Thanks!

Yes, many parents do show up and it is a nice event. There's usually a reception afterwards.

I was wondering about orientation week too, and when we will receive more info about the schedule and activities. Is the move-in day a pretty open day as far as activities go? I am not sure how early in the day I will get there. I may see about moving in a day early...I want time to stock my fridge, etc. so I don't waste a lot of money on eating out or eating fast food.

On another note, I read somewhere that some people bring air conditioners, and that for a "small fee" the university installs them for you. Sure August will be hot, but is an air conditioner a must-have in Bard, or more like a nice-to-have? Does anyone know about how much the fee to install the air conditioners are? Are air conditioners something that are also passed down (i.e. sold), like fridges, from second years to first years?
Do most students who buy things from other students, make arrangements before they arrive? Or do the second years advertise with flyers, etc. and wait until the first years are on campus?

I am trying to decide if it is worth the cost, or whether I should just suck up the heat for a month.

Any thoughts from folks who lived in Bard during August/Sept?

Thanks!
You guys will get a full schedule of orientation soon, they set up a whole website for us last year. We got a look at the schedule at the OL meeting a few weeks ago, and it's still being worked on. To answer some of your questions:

- The white coat ceremony is well attended and there usually ends up being standing room only. It was a memorable event.
- I saw an air conditioner as a must have. It gets oppressively hot in Bard sometimes, and temperature control is important. A lot of people thought they could "suck it up" for a month or two at the beginning and end of the year, and most of them caved and bought ACs. Housing charges $25 to install and $20 to remove I think.
- Air conditioners and refrigerators will probably be advertised everywhere from students trying to sell them. (I might be selling both at the end of the summer)

Thanks so much Badlydrawnvik. After a year of uncertainty, it feels really good to be able to make plans, even planning the small every day life things, like air conditioners and fridges.

I started reading up about NYC, and I think that even without considering the amount of time I am likely to spend in the library...4-5 years will not be anywhere near long enough to take everything in.
I am so excited... (sorry, I still feel a little giddy...hopefully I will calm down by the time August rolls around.:p)

Sooo -- what exciting adventures are you lovely folk up to this summer? Any one of y'all happen to be in NYC yet? :D

My summer thus far has been a blur of The Price is Right, driving around to see family, and generally relaxing until I start my research rotation in July. I'll see you in Bard! Anyone selling a fridge/microwave/air conditioner/random furniture/etc please post fliers.

Did anyone else get the second reminder about our transcripts? I emailed Ellen after I received the first reminder and she said that they had it, so I'm a little confused why I received a second reminder... it didn't appear as though it was sent to everyone.

I received that reminder too, but my transcript hadn't been sent to them yet. I made sure to take care of that today.

Hi '11,

http://www.ifilm.com/video/2864327

The above is a link to a clip of Dr. Michael Gershon -- one of the course directors for your 1st year basic sciences class -- who appeared on the Colbert Report a couple of weeks ago. Check it out if you have 6 minutes and 20 seconds free. There are a couple of funny parts.

Take care and have a stupendous summer!

-Tyler

Nice interview. Looks like the myenteric plexus is steppin up its game.

Regarding A/C, when I lived in Bard, there was so much wind coming through the riverview side that I didn't think it was necessary. Many felt differently, but it was only hot for about a month, and even then, in 601 it was so windy that it always felt reasonable.

Also, bring your fam to the white coat.