b. pharm student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nonee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, i m doing b.pharm frm india & i m in my 4rth yr, i will be completing my degree in june 2009. i have a valid visa for u.s to study. i want to study pharm.d in us. how many yrs will i have to study to get pharm .d in us? do they take these kind of international students. and allow them to complete their course? how should i apply? apart frm writting pcat, toefl, gre. what other exams do i have to appear for? will i be able to study pharm.d in us?/////////////

Members don't see this ad.

hi, i m doing b.pharm frm india & i m in my 4rth yr, i will be completing my degree in june 2009. i have a valid visa for u.s to study. i want to study pharm.d in us. how many yrs will i have to study to get pharm .d in us? do they take these kind of international students. and allow them to complete their course? how should i apply? apart frm writting pcat, toefl, gre. what other exams do i have to appear for? will i be able to study pharm.d in us?/////////////

You have to research for schools you want to attend.
Most schools require PCATs.

You might want to look at it: http://www.aacp.org/Docs/MainNavigation/InstitutionalData/9345_PSARTable9.pdf

So, I would look into Philadelphia, Temple, or Texas Southern.

I am an International Student in US, so we both are in the same boat...

Good luck to both of us.

I cannot tell you which school you SHOULD attend, you are the ONE choose.

GRE is not needed for pharmacy. TOEFL and PCAT will be required.

Keep in mind that this is not the Soviet Union, and that the government does not decide what the prereqs are in every single school. Each school has different requirements for what prerequisites are needed to apply (and I admit, some may seem a little strange, like psychology, sociology, economics, etc...depending on the school). Also, keep in mind that most schools do require college composition (in English), I don't know how you'd be able to complete that.

And did Wannabepharm88 not read the replies I sent to his messages? USP (referred to as Philadelphia by him/her) does not accept students into the professional phase, though it says it does.

Members don't see this ad :)
GRE is not needed for pharmacy. TOEFL and PCAT will be required.

Keep in mind that this is not the Soviet Union, and that the government does not decide what the prereqs are in every single school. Each school has different requirements for what prerequisites are needed to apply (and I admit, some may seem a little strange, like psychology, sociology, economics, etc...depending on the school). Also, keep in mind that most schools do require college composition (in English), I don't know how you'd be able to complete that.

And did Wannabepharm88 not read the replies I sent to his messages? USP (referred to as Philadelphia by him/her) does not accept students into the professional phase, though it says it does.

Sorry, I did not read your reply. Thanks for the information,

Take the PCAT and TOEFL. Then you need to contact the school you hope to attend and go from there.

From what part of the India are you going to graduate? I also have Diploma in Pharmacy (12+2) from India (Gujarat) and then I came to US.

I am currently in 3rd year (2nd sem) Pharm D at Rutgers University (NJ).
Yes, I started from a scratch 3 years ago!!! They did not accept any single credit form India. Moreover, I also had to do 2 years of pre-pharmacy (which definitely helped me in my PCAT) I encountered many people who were in the same situation as your are in right now. And the answer to your question is it doesn't matter what degree you have from India or even from US, you have to go to school for at least 4 years in order to get Pharm D. (there are a couple of colleges which will require you to complete only 3 years of college coursework; but still it's a lot of work). In either cases, you will have to take PCAT and from my personal opinion, it is not going to be an easy exam...I am not trying to scare you but the admission into 1st professional year is also really competitive.

However, I've recently heard that in Gujarat (Nirma University - Institute of Pharmacy wich is an affiliated college), they have started Pharm D program (yes, this information is 100% true cuz I personally know the dean of the pharmacy school). So if you already have B.Pharm, 1 year of college course work is required to get Pharm D in INDIA.

Someone told me (I am not sure about this information) that if you have the Pharm D from India, then after coming to US, you will just have to complete 1 year of rotations and then lisensure exams to get US Pharm D.
I would recomend that you get the correct information about this program in India; and if it is equivalent to US Pharm D, then try to get into the program at Nirma University. It should make your life easier...Good Luck

thanks, jsgandhi, i m frm hyderabad.
let me tell me you one more thing:
as u r also frm india u must be aware of eamcet exam?
while appearing for my eamcet exam i took admission into a open university to do graduation in special sciences.
bachelor of drug technology from d.r.b.r.a.o.univ.
it is of 3yrs. i completed dat degree.
now till june09 i ll be having my dual graduate degree with me!

i want to know wether that credits will be counted or not?
i presently live in irving, texas. are there any univ. which offer me to continue pharm.d
i cant study from the scratch now!
pls help me..........:(

Hi Gandhi,

I have B Pharm Degree from INDIA so if I join 2.5 years of Phar D bac degree will FPGEE will consider it as 5 Years degree.

If you have any better ways please advice!

hey guys ,

Even i have same query regarding pharm D course in india as there are various colleges in Andhra Pradesh, TN and karnataka that offer pharm D post bacceleurate.
I just want to confirm whether doing pharm D from these colleges in India will be helpful to me and ill i be able to write FPGEE and NAPLEX exams ???

waiting for ur replies in Anticipation...thanx

We have authored a 5 book series named SyNAPSE which covers all the areas of the FPGEE syllabus topic by topic as given FPGEE Blueprint along with Questions and Answers and Pharmaceutical Calculations. The matter is covered in concise and tabulated format to facilitate easy learning and recall.

Visit our website www.pharmasynapse.com to see the details about the review books.
Contact us for more details or queries.

Bijal Shah
Shruti Mehta
Pharmasynapse

Learn to read dates. Is this a spammer or a bot or something?

Take the PCAT and TOEFL. Then you need to contact the school you hope to attend and go from there.

Nice avatar and quote pharmprincess lol hot and smart always get a :thumbup: from me :D.

I randomly came across the Western University International Student Pharm.D. program

"If you have earned a bachelor's degree or equivalent in pharmacy and want to advance your career by earning a PharmD degree, then consider our International Post-Baccalaureate PharmD (IPBP) Program. Our IPBP program is targeted to domestic and/or foreign-trained pharmacists with a bachelor's degree (B.S. or equivalent), who wish to earn a Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) degree"

http://prospective.westernu.edu/pharmacy-pharmd-international/welcome