For the current med students,
what do you think about the problem based learning? Do you find it useful? Do you think it would be easier to learn without it? How do you know what to study?
I think PBL is a great way to learn. At our school it's 3x a week from day one until the end of second year (a lot!). Though it can feel like "extra work" sometimes, I think a lot of times it makes learning better because it incorporates what we are learning in classes in a clinical way.
You know what to study based on how the case is written and the questions / learning issues (topics) they supply with it. After a while you get better and can figure it out for yourself but they still supply a list with every case. I think people are afraid that they just throw you into these cases where you have to figure out medicine for yourself but the majority of the time, the cases correlate with what is going on in lecture. So many people use scribes or lecture notes as a good starting point and MOST of the information is in there. What isn't there you look up - the groups split up topics and you present a topic to the group at the next meeting so it's very much collaborative. Then at the end of the week there is a wrap up where a doctor in the field presents what you should have accomplished that week.
It'd be a lie to say that everyone likes it though - this is what people complain about: it's extra work, you have to show up (can't just stay at home watching streaming lectures every day of the week), most facilitators are awesome but not all, sometimes you wish the facilitator would let you go through a case faster.
With that said, I think that most people would agree that it is a good way to learn even though they like to complain - the school is always making it better. I think there are some not so obvious ways that it benefits us:
- It pushes us to keep up with lecture material so we aren't cramming before exams
- The material sticks better (many of us remember cases from PBL and that hilarious thing so-and-so said once we are on wards / exams / step 1)
- We become very used to looking up clinical information and interpreting articles after basic science years (I think this skill would help you for the rest of your life)
- You get exposure to more nontraditional things in medicine (cost effectiveness of this treatment versus another / how much this lab test costs)
Of course I haven't had exposure to other ways of learning but I think the benefits of PBL are tremendous. By the end of 2nd year I did kind of get tired of it but you are also better at it to make cases go faster. One of the attendings who had been at the school for a long time told us that the quality of the students in 3rd year have gotten better since PBL because students are able to better think through patients clinically and articulate their plan to the team. I don't know if this is true or not but you can take it with a grain of salt.
Hope this helps and Merry Christmas!