"Inappropriate" medical terms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dane07MD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm rotating on the ICU right now, and the MSICU nurses love when we come up and enlighten them with real (though somewhat inappropriate) medical terminology.

We started with Chandelier sign. Which they all thought was not a real term.

Then last night we dropped the "prostitute's pupil" on them.

Any other good ones out there you guys can come up with? I know there are plenty of one's that are off the book, but we're trying to collect those medical terms that likely originiated back when political correctness was not an issue.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm rotating on the ICU right now, and the MSICU nurses love when we come up and enlighten them with real (though somewhat inappropriate) medical terminology.

We started with Chandelier sign. Which they all thought was not a real term.

They were probably just impressed that you do a pelvic on all your MICU admits.;)

Members don't see this ad :)
They were probably just impressed that you do a pelvic on all your MICU admits.;)

Fortunately the day intern did the pelvic exam... but that was the commencement of the terminology discussion.

"Happy Puppet Syndrome" .... Now known as "Angelman Syndrome"

Definitely inappropriate in modern medical terminology (though maybe not the kind of 'inappropriate' you are looking for).

I can't really think of anything inappropriate. I know a couple of interesting ones like "Lincoln Sign" or "Levine Sign". I guess "megalophallus" might be one?

"O-sign" and "Q-sign" are my two favorites.

Nice.

Throckmorton's sign.

One of my buddies was on an ortho externship and got asked to interpret a plain film of some guy's pelvis. There was nothing wrong with it, the attending just wanted to see if my buddy was going to acknowledge the guys dong that hung down to around his knee, lol.

Shelley Sign - pulsating cervix in aortic stenosis... just 'cause I think it's ridiculous.

Inverse tooth to tattoo ratio.

Ai tach (ai ai ai ai) - both sustained & nonsustained versions.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I forgot to mention A.S.S. .... Attention Seeking Syndrome.

Survivor DO

I forgot to mention A.S.S. .... Attention Seeking Syndrome.

Survivor DO

Well, if we're going there:

Supratentorial Pain Syndrome (fibromyalgia)

Positive perioral cheetosis in an abdominal pain complaint

Dilaudopenic

P3 syndrome (piss poor protoplasm)

...and the list goes on :D

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
"Tachy-aye Syndrome" reminds me.... ahhh, one of my favorites: "Status hispanicus".

Its what happens when the "Aye"s become self-sustaining.

Aye.... Aye... Aye.. (status). AyeAyeAyeAyeAyeAyeAYEAYEAYEAYEAYE.

Throckmorton's sign.
I love to peg medical students with that one. If they don't know what it is I tell them, "Oh, you should go look that one up. It will come in handy."

I've used the following in the past,

Hyperdramatitis
Victim of gravity
Acute dilaudid deficiency
Too much blood in the alcohol stream
Medical sandwich
Actively CTDing (Circling the drain)
GrannyGram/GrampaGram (My work up for any elderly altered mental status)
Treat the parents not the patient

I have a few from working as a medic too.

Somehalforall, when giving a drug you can't remember the exact dose of you either give some of the preload, half of the preload, or all of the preload.

Tryactin, when a patient was acting like a wimp, you would say to your partner, "Maybe they need some "tryactin" as in "They need to try acting like an adult."

I'll try to remember some later.

Our pulmonologist will ask over the phone if a patient is TFTB (Too Fat To Breathe) because obesity hypoventilation syndrome is a pain to say.

in my freestanding ED that's full of suburbanites but not far from some southern small towns i've coined a few terms:

acute lorazepemia - a terrible disease mainly afflicting women of childbearing age, appears to be airborne as it spreads rapidly and can come in clusters
the white trash truck - brings you patients not of your usual demographic who are usual on drugs of abuse and/or misusing controlled substances

Last edited:
in my freestanding ED that's full of suburbanites but not far from some southern small towns i've coined a few terms:

acute lorazepamemia - a terrible disease mainly afflicting women of childbearing age, appears to be airborne as it spreads rapidly and can come in clusters
the white trash truck - brings you patients not of your usual demographic who are usual on drugs of abuse and/or misusing controlled substances

Sounds like benzopenia.

acute lorazepamemia - a terrible disease mainly afflicting women of childbearing age, appears to be airborne as it spreads rapidly and can come in clusters

Sounds like benzopenia.

Sounds like Female Hysteria to me.

"Tachy-aye Syndrome" reminds me.... ahhh, one of my favorites: "Status hispanicus".

Its what happens when the "Aye"s become self-sustaining.

Aye.... Aye... Aye.. (status). AyeAyeAyeAyeAyeAyeAYEAYEAYEAYEAYE.

Southern equivalent is tachylordia

"LordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordy

There's also a variant of tachylordia that includes junctional jesus.

"LordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyJESUSLordyLordyLordyLordyLordy"

There is a little known varient in elderly, jewish females from nursing homes called "oy-tach" which usually starts by talking about their son who is a lawyer then when the source of irritation (usually an underperforming child) is reached, "oy oy oy....."

Southern equivalent is tachylordia

"LordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordy

There's also a variant of tachylordia that includes junctional jesus.

"LordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyJESUSLordyLordyLordyLordyLordy"

Was taught that it was referred to as a "premature jesus complex", but hey, who's counting?

Head to scrotum ratio: useful in anasarca and fluid overloaded icu patients

LOLS: Little Old Lady Syndrome. Often seen on Sunday afternoons in the South, during visit of children to nursing home. Suspected when patient exhibits PRN aphasia.

LOLWADAODFOAC

Little old lady, weak and dizzy all over, done fell out at church

Attending asked me once, while looking at a chest x-ray, to demonstrate the prevailing Emerson-Biggins sign.

...he had a nice laugh about that the next day after I'd looked it up. Couldn't believe I'd missed it.

A few that I've encountered so far:

CRAP syndrome (Chronic recurrent abdominal pain)
Acute Vitamin H (Haldol) deficiency
Positive Gluteofacial inversion sign
TFTW (too fat to walk)

Take down - Curious what other terms might be used to describe sedating an EDP

EDP emotionally disturbed person

Not quite medical but appropriate for this time of year: FNG
F***ing New Guy

Acute onset incarceritis/stainless steel allergy- sudden chest pain upon being arrested
LOLINAD- little old lady in no acute distress.
Status dramaticus/Hispanicus
ART- assuming room temperature.
DRT- dead right there.