help with courseplan? feedback please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drabberbadge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, So I have a 3.3 science gpa and a 3.45 cumulative gpa, I received 3 Cs in my sophmore year in BIO I AND II and Chem 1, however I am on an upward trend as in the last year I got a 4.0 both semesters and includes 5 science classes( took chem II, stats,and neuro in one semester and Physics and chem in next semester)

However I received a W in organic chem 1.

My question is I am a senior, and would like to raise my gpa up to atleast a 3.6 science before I apply, is it alright to take organic chem at a Community college and just do 2 classes per semester to try and get all As?
I am obviously planning on delaying my undergrad degree but I am also planning on taking so called" easy" bcpm classes to boost my gpa, would that look bad?/

next semester: im planning on : organic chem at Community college, physics II and a psych class(i know it doesnt count for science) at my university and that it for that semester to try and get all As

then in the spring: Ochem II at CC, and 2 other classes for my major and study for mcats
summer:take mcats
fall: 4 classes for major , two of which are science
and in the spring: a math class and molec. bio
summer: apply

what do you guys think?
some feedback would help

Members don't see this ad.

some schools don't take community college classes... the schools that do will obviously be able to see your motivations for taking them at a community college when you're attending a regular university and already have a W for it. additionally, i'm pretty sure schools don't really like the idea of heavy underloading. they want to know that you can handle a rigorous med school curriculum and if you have to drop down to 3 classes to do remotely well in them, it doesn't quite support the premise that you can handle a med school education. i would urge you to take at least 12 credit hours, even if one of them is really easy. other than that, sounds good!

Your course plan sounds good. MOST schools don't care if you complete your courses at a community college.... SOME schools do NOT consider ANY courses taken online and a FEW schools want EVERY SINGLE SCIENCE course taken at a 4 year university or college that is NOT online. They don't care about the other courses .. but the CORE questions are of a concern.

If you know which schools you want to attend already or know a vast majority of them, I would call them today and ask them their policy on taking community college courses and which ones they approve of and which ones they do not or if they don't take any at all.. I would make a chart .. checklist per se... and go down the list checking off what each school has to say. Then there is your answer to avoid making a huge mistake and giving yourself peace of mind because you heard it yourself from the "horses mouth". lol .... Also disclaimer: keep in mind that due to the changes coming up to many medical school curriculums in 2015, some school pre-requisites will be changing next year. Sooo.... yea, you may want to check now and then again next year around this time again.