study for vocabularies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angelil_yu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey ya'all,

How do you guys study for the vocabulary section, such as analogy and antonym and synonym? Did you make any flashcards for sure? Coz you know, it's just impossible if you only learn it for only 1 month and get good results for the vocab section??

Thanx

Members don't see this ad.

angelil_yu said:
Hey ya'all,

How do you guys study for the vocabulary section, such as analogy and antonym and synonym? Did you make any flashcards for sure? Coz you know, it's just impossible if you only learn it for only 1 month and get good results for the vocab section??

Thanx

Flash cards work. So does general reading on a regular basis. Also, crossword puzzles are helpful. There are a few books out there that give you ways to enhance your vocabulary. If you can get through them without falling asleep :laugh: , I'd peruse those as well. :)

I bought one of those build your vocabulary type books and I think it really helped. Rather than learning actual words it taught prefixes and suffixes and things like that. I ended up doing pretty good on that section.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I bought the Kaplan GRE Verbal Workbook. It lists the 200 words that standardized exams like to test on. I would have to say that almost every single word on the PCAT was in the book.

The vocab sections were the only ones I didn't bother studying for. I figured either you pretty much know it by the time you take the test or you don't. Turned out ok.

kim. said:
I ended up doing pretty good on that section.

Good luck!
I think you might have done "well" on that section. An adjective modifies a noun. An adverb modifies a verb. I'm just messing with you because of the topic of the thread. ;)

A GRE vocab wordlist will definitely work if you don't have much time. But in case you are not very good at memorization it is best to know the prefixes and suffixes because you can guess the answers to unfamiliar words quite easily if you know them.
Good luck!

I didn't study for the verbal section, besides sample exams. I figured that since I got a 720 on the verbal section of the SAT, that I'd have no problem. Verbal was my lowest subscore. I got 75th percentile. I'm still trying to figure out how it happened. LOL. So I'd recommend that, no matter how great you think you are in verbal, to still study for it.

jdpharmd? said:
I think you might have done "well" on that section. An adjective modifies a noun. An adverb modifies a verb. I'm just messing with you because of the topic of the thread. ;)

LOL! :laugh: Thanks for the correction! Maybe I should have purchased a grammar booster book along with the vocabulary! ;)

GRE vocabulary Workbook ----> Suck at Vocab-----> Memorized top 200----> Did well

I didn't study for that section. I've read books all my life and love to solve crossword puzzles. There was only one word that I didn't recognize on the PCAT.

I'm not really sure how you study for something like analogies. They don't put unusual words in that section because they are testing your thought process, not how many words you can memorize. Every IQ test I have taken has had a section with analogies. They are a good indicator of reasoning ability.

I took Latin in Highschool and it has helped me on my vocabulary.