Residency Reputation of Pitt and Tulane Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reckoning

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am headed to med school next year and am faced with the very happy dilemma of choosing between two schools that I really liked and thought I would fit in well.

Here's my question... Most doc's that I talk to light up when I bring up Tulane but go a little blank when I bring up Pitt. Granted I am talking to doc's in Phoenix, Dallas, and New Orleans. Do residency programs (ortho in particular) have a thing for Tulane students (laid back, excellent clinicals at Charity etc) versus Pitt with better ortho research and a much higher US News ranking?

Members don't see this ad.

Isn't Pitt like the mecca of ortho?

Dr. Freddie Fu is a huge world-renowned guy in ortho surg. He's at Pitt.

Maybe people you talk to would recognize Univ of Pittsburgh Medical Center more than just "Pitt"?

There are always at least 8-10 people who match in ortho every yr from Pitt Med, and quite a handful come in to med school aspiring to enter this field.

pitt is an awesome school. it also has lots of excellent departments besides ortho should your specialty choice change down the road. I personally can't imagine getting any studying done while in new orleans. good luck either way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. Pitt rocks. Not to mention cost of living is great. Thanks for your replies. I grew up in New Orleans so studying there shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Freddie Fu is at Pitt although the name is not familiar to me.

I am thinking that I would best off to go to school at Pitt for all the reasons you cited, and I was accepted there as MD/PhD. Financiallly and academically this seems a no brainer. However my ultimate plan is to return to New Orleans to practise/research/teach and perhaps for residency as well. I have this itching concern that Pitt is going to limit me as far as where I go for residency. Seems silly, I know, but I'm a newby. :D I just keep hearing these great things about Tulane and fear that Pitt is going to be the best damn school that no one's heard of.

So I just want to get your input about what the word on the street is.

Pitt's name will carry you to any ortho program, there is no question about that. I don't think they had 8-10 apply this year, but they have a few and Dr. Fu's name helps.

However, if your goal is to go back to New Orleans, you aren't going to hurt yourself by going to Tulane. Local people know the local programs, so it might actually be beneficial to stay local with the big local name. You have to look at your long term goals.

I personally would go to Pitt because your long term goals could change, and Pitt will open a lot more doors for you. The med school is ranked high and lots of specialties are ranked high.

The weather bites, and it is hilly around the school/hospital (walking in snow uphill isnt all that fun), but it is a great place to learn.

OSU03 said:
Pitt's name will carry you to any ortho program, there is no question about that. I don't think they had 8-10 apply this year, but they have a few and Dr. Fu's name helps.

However, if your goal is to go back to New Orleans, you aren't going to hurt yourself by going to Tulane. Local people know the local programs, so it might actually be beneficial to stay local with the big local name. You have to look at your long term goals.

I personally would go to Pitt because your long term goals could change, and Pitt will open a lot more doors for you. The med school is ranked high and lots of specialties are ranked high.

The weather bites, and it is hilly around the school/hospital (walking in snow uphill isnt all that fun), but it is a great place to learn.

I am sure I am going to be hating that hill by the time I graduate... Thanks for all the input. This has pretty well allayed my fears about Pitt. I am headed for the second look weekend in April.

My feeling is that no med school is going to close any doors per se, but I will need to stand out that much more if the school is ranked or considered "lower tier". Sounds like I really can't go wrong at Pitt, though.