Comfortable shoes for surgery rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

ScutMonkey007

What are the most comfortable shoes to wear as an MS 3? Any suggestions, especially if your on surgery?

Members don't see this ad.

i probably would've felt more comfortable in the attendings' shoes. :D

aaaaaand i second dansko clogs. their entire line ownz for all rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Samoa said:
The regular Dansko clogs are dangerous if you have unstable ankles (like from repeated ankle sprains, etc). I have a pair and I seem to turn my ankle at least once or twice every time I wear them. I heard their sport clogs are pretty stable, though.

ive heard good things about dansko clogs but they are very pricey. merrell's shoes are really comfy and a bit cheaper. naturalizer is way cheaper and i think really comfortable as well.

I realize there has been a post or two on this in the past...
but has anyone discovered a great pair of on-your-feet-all-day women's shoes that are stylish enough to wear with a skirt if necessary?

melmc said:
I realize there has been a post or two on this in the past...
but has anyone discovered a great pair of on-your-feet-all-day women's shoes that are stylish enough to wear with a skirt if necessary?

Rockports are really comfortable but a bit pricey. The ones I have are great for nice pants..not sure about a skirt though.
And I second that Danskos aren't for everyone...walk around the store and see if you almost break your ankle before buying them! (they are dang comfy though)

Merrel Jungle Mocs... $75 at REI.com, you can get them other places.

By far the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned. Except for working out and my teva sandals, they are all I ever wear now.

Clark's. they rock. sooo comfortable, and not too pricy. i got an on sale pair for 49.99! i was looking at their 79.99 models though too. my friends have em, and my dad wears them to work. soo comfy =)

Looooovvvvveeee my Danskos. Try www.footprints.com for clearance Danskos & Birks. Amazing prices and quick shipping. Hint: you do need to know your European size for Danskos, might help to go try some on first.
They last a very long time, are very well made and come in a million different colors for the girly girls like me!

Tool_fan said:
Clark's. they rock. sooo comfortable, and not too pricy. i got an on sale pair for 49.99! i was looking at their 79.99 models though too. my friends have em, and my dad wears them to work. soo comfy =)

Samoa said:
The regular Dansko clogs are dangerous if you have unstable ankles (like from repeated ankle sprains, etc). I have a pair and I seem to turn my ankle at least once or twice every time I wear them. I heard their sport clogs are pretty stable, though.

I second this. I turned my ankle in these while I was in the store. Thank God I did it there instead of turning my ankle in the OR and landing face first in that vaginal hysterectomy!

I like my Birkenstock profesional clog. They are waterproof so if you happen to get blood on them in the OR (happened to me once during a really bloody liver transplant), just wipe it off with an alcohol wipe. They are kind of pricey, but like all Birkenstocks, they last forever. Cut and paste the link below to check them out.

http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpage.asp?type=brand&brandid=37&brandcatid=316&gen=m&pcid=5574

I wore Clarks clogs for my surgery rotation (as well as some of my other rotations). They are really comfortable and look nice with dress pants as well, but they wouldn't work with a skirt. I wore Naturalizer dress shoes with skirts when I was on my rotations, and they were actually pretty comfortable.

Do a search of old threads. There have been several of them in the last 1-2 years on danskos and on shoes for those who can't tolerate danskos.

And Danskos are pricey, but I've known people who've worn them continuously for 5+ years without needing to replace them (I've actually never heard of people needing to get rid of their danskos due to them being worn out...usually they buy more and just have several pairs.)...so it is worth paying more for a shoe that can last several times longer.

I have been wearing crocs all year and I love them. They have air holes to let your feet breath and they are rubbery so they wash off real easy.

Members don't see this ad :)
This time last year I was using the search function for this same question. i ended up buying a pair of Clark's. i am a 1/2 size so I ordered the next size up and love them a little big. I did notice that a lot of people just wear tennis shoes in the OR - but I guess that depends on where you are.

My closet is essentially all Aerosoles shoes- super comfortable, look nice, and while they can be expensive, they are also easily found on sale at Famous Footwear, Marshalls, Ross, or in the Aerosoles Outlet stores.

www.aerosoles.com

I am on my final rotation of my MS III year...wahoo! I LOVE my Clark's clogs for dress clothes. For scrubs I have been wearing either running shoes or these really ugly Ecco's that are pretty comfortable. I have a lot of foot problems so I wear custom orthotics in my shoes. Dansko clogs now come in a narrow width and I bought a pair last month for my surgery rotation. They don't accept an orthotic which is a bummer. I have been wearing the dansko's for 2 weeks on surgery and regret shelling out the $125 for them. Too uncomfortable, can't wear my orthotics and they are heavy. The only good thing about them is they make me taller so I can see a little better in the OR and don't have to ask for a step stool all the time. :cool:

Definitely check out the L.L. Bean "Comfort Mocs." They are ridiculously comfortable, don't make you look like a twit if you wear them outside the hospital, and best of all.. only $29.50. :thumbup:

It's kinda funny that I came across this post cause I bought the most perfect pair of shoes today. I feel like I'm walking on a cloud with every step. They're made by Tempurpedic, the same company that makes the mattress.....the material used to make the cushion was made by NASA for astronauts so they are super comfy and will last awhile. You can buy them in Brookstone for $80......check them out at a mall near you :D

When you know you'll be in scrubs all day, you can't go wrong with a pair of New Balance 991s. Arguably the most comfortable running shoe made. Just be sure to throw on some shoe covers before going into the OR. If you do get stains on the suede, a little H2O2 takes care of it. Keep them clean and take good care of them and they'll last a long time.

Just my &0.02.

-NCH

My big sib said we aren't supposed to wear running/tennis shoes because a scalpel might go through them? Has anyone gotten in trouble for wearing running shoes?

scully said:
My big sib said we aren't supposed to wear running/tennis shoes because a scalpel might go through them? Has anyone gotten in trouble for wearing running shoes?

Well I haven't worn any but they've told us that except for clinic days we can wear scrubs and tennis shoes. The PA in charge of the floor said we can stop dressing up now. I have to go buy scrubs now!

You shouldn't have to buy scrubs...The hospital should give them to you.

unk_fxn said:
Merrel Jungle Mocs... $75 at REI.com, you can get them other places.

By far the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned. Except for working out and my teva sandals, they are all I ever wear now.

BINGO! these shoes rock. I haven't done surgery yet but I used to own a pair and Im gonna buy another pair for surg. They look nice enough and they are so freaking comfortable its unbelievable. Merrel makes bad ass shoes. F*ck nike airs, your heel sinks perfectly into the sole of this shoe...do your selfs all a favor, hit up an REI and try them on.

DOtobe said:
You shouldn't have to buy scrubs...The hospital should give them to you.

Yeah but I'm at County now and students get "blue paper scrubs" and they are for the OR so everyone runs around in their own on the floor in the A.M. Oh well, the docs get pink scrubs so I won't complain about wearing paper.....

I have a pair of Lacrosse clogs. the website is lacrossefootwear.com and they are under everyday shoes. They are wonderful and are actually more comfortable than tennis shoes $49 both men and women

if you have high arches or prefer padding under your feet, do NOT get danskos, i hobbled around in pain in them for 4 months before finally realizing that they are prob already broken in and wont be getting any more comfortable.

Merrells rule. I have 2 well-worn pairs, i think it's about time for me to buy a few more pairs. Clarks are super comfy too. don't own them but tried em on at the shoestore.

One more vote for Merrell's. I tried the Dankso's, but kept twisting my ankle. My Merrell Jungle Mocs have held up over 30 hour call days/nights and long OR days. Although I know plenty of people who swear by their Dankso's.

I refuse to wear danskos, clogs, or anthing related, but I do have quite a collection of brightly colored sneakers (pumas, kangaroos, etc.). I wear these whether I am in scrubs or dress pants. It's the best of both worlds...my feet don't hurt and I don't have to wear those ugly danskos!

mmm. I like Merrels, danskos and croks. But seriously, the absolute bestest pair of surgery shoes I ever got was a $3 knockoff of the crocks from Fred Meyer (Kroger) *sigh* hope they have more next summer. I should have bought more pairs. It's like walking on clouds, but with support. and they're really easy to clean/disinfect. And water/blood/vomit/purulence/goo/poo/urine proof.

Crocs are the BEST, but you have to have the holes. i have the ones with the holes on the ends and those are great. the only problem is when you are in surgery (esp OB) and stuff splashes on the floor. i have had to throw away a few pairs of socks.

What are the most comfortable shoes to wear as an MS 3? Any suggestions, especially if your on surgery?

Dansko's pro: are nice but heavy, great arch support
Berkinstock: makes a professional-looking shoe, great arch support, but takes time to form to foot, not as heavy as dansko's but more expensive
Earth: negative heel supposedly streatches calves out all day, addequate arch support

I rotate among all 3

Another vote for merrel's. My surgery roation was Trauma, 30 hour shifts and all. My friend wore a pedometer one day and found we walked nearly 10 miles on an overnight call shift, and my feet never hurt. He tried them for a day and then went out and bought his own. The trauma fellows from U of Miami all wore them too. Mine have lasted over two years and still feel great.

I've been wearing Danskos for years, but have found them to be hard and unconfortable for surgery. PLus the heel tends to emphasize my already lordodic lumbar spine and make it hurt more.

And to boot, just today I had two near-misses before I finally fully turned my ankle this afternoon. I think walking in Danskos while tired and spacy is a bad idea...

I've been eyeing clogs by Keen...I have some of their sandals and the footbed is great.

I will toss my vote in for Birkenstock professional clogs. They are waterproof, you can autoclave them, and most importantly, they are really comfortable. I have worked in surgery for 6 years and have had the same pair for over 4 years now. They are more comfortable than any tennis shoe when you are on your feet for 12+ hours straight.

I will toss my vote in for Birkenstock professional clogs. They are waterproof, you can autoclave them, and most importantly, they are really comfortable. I have worked in surgery for 6 years and have had the same pair for over 4 years now. They are more comfortable than any tennis shoe when you are on your feet for 12+ hours straight.

Tell me more about where to purchase these autoclavable clogs. I am curious.

I have been guilty of wearing *gag/gasp* DANNER-things- lately(I don't know what they are. They're like a combination of a firefighting boot and a clog. Technically a clog but kind of not. It was all I could bear to bring down here, didn't want to risk losing my special $3 crock-offs)

I had trouble with the regular Danskos. For me, they were fine for standing for a long time, but walking in them made my feet hurt a lot. I really like Merrells, and I would switch back and forth between those two.

But now I just bought some Dansko Calla's (http://www.dansko.com/Product_Detail.aspx?StyleName=Calla&ID1=4036&ID2=7202&VID=1533), and they are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. They combine everything I like about the regular Danskos and the Merrells. And they won't be dangerous to your ankles. They're girl shoes though. ^^

You can get the autoclavable sutures from a variety of online Birki retailers or many online stores that sell scrubs and medical supplies. They are around 80.00, but last for a long time.

You can get the autoclavable sutures from a variety of online Birki retailers or many online stores that sell scrubs and medical supplies. They are around 80.00, but last for a long time.
$80 sounds fine. I've paid more than that for a pair of shoes for my horse, and those only lasted 8 weeks.

autoclavable sutures, eh? ;)

autoclavable sutures, eh? ;)
I didn't even notice that till you pointed it out (ah, lovely dyslexia) but down here some people are still using stainless steel, so technically that is autoclavable...but I don't think you can get it from the same website. And it's like $250 a box.

anyone know where the dansko outlet in philly is?
thanks

Definitely check out the L.L. Bean "Comfort Mocs." They are ridiculously comfortable, don't make you look like a twit if you wear them outside the hospital, and best of all.. only $29.50. :thumbup:

I'll second this. Takes a little bit to get them broken in, but hard to beat for the price.

Crocs? ADULTS wear Crocs? PROFESSIONAL ADULTS wear Crocs?!@?#!@#!

Yeah. And they're REALLY comfortable. :D

One of the attendings here is infamous for wearing a bright, neon orange pair of Crocs. :laugh:

Merrel

'Nuff said

no shoe is comfortable after you've been on your feet for 20 hours....

merrell jungle mocs.....hands down the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn....even after 12-16 hour shifts on my feet (though that was as a waitor...I'm only an MS2..)

no shoe is comfortable after you've been on your feet for 20 hours....

I would have agreed with you until I got these, the Croc knock-offs

Heh. $3 at Fred Meyer...I wore them from 5AM round the clock till the next 5 AM several times. Now I just wish I could find them again, I think they were a summer one time thing.

Attachments

• croc.JPG
    croc.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 482