So,PA is better choice for me after all

Started by billydoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

billydoc

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Guys!
Just the other day I posted my NP vs MD tread. Many of you suggested they I'd take a PA route. And silly little me was argueing that I want to capitalize on being RN, and go for NP. But here is a catch:I have a B.S. and M.S degree, but neithe one of them is in nursing. So, in order to enter NP program I'll have to do BSN, then MSN, and only then FNP certificate. I'd say about
3 1/2-4 yrs deal.Well, I might have as well stayed at my Carib med school that withdrew from. But what I discounted in all of that is:my B.S degree is mostly pre-med,and comes from Touro college in NY. They have their own PA program,and I'm their graduate with 3.65 overal GPA. So what doyuo think guys? I think they'll take me into PA. I also wanted to ask both NPs and PAs to give me their opinions. Realy, without A vs B does it realy matter? NPs out there, do you feel like you are more independent, for real? Am I making a mistake? Please no fights. Just the real deal,please! I have to move on fast on this one.
Thanks all 😀
 
billydoc said:
Hey Guys!
Just the other day I posted my NP vs MD tread. Many of you suggested they I'd take a PA route. And silly little me was argueing that I want to capitalize on being RN, and go for NP. But here is a catch:I have a B.S. and M.S degree, but neithe one of them is in nursing. So, in order to enter NP program I'll have to do BSN, then MSN, and only then FNP certificate. I'd say about
3 1/2-4 yrs deal.Well, I might have as well stayed at my Carib med school that withdrew from. But what I discounted in all of that is:my B.S degree is mostly pre-med,and comes from Touro college in NY. They have their own PA program,and I'm their graduate with 3.65 overal GPA. So what doyuo think guys? I think they'll take me into PA. I also wanted to ask both NPs and PAs to give me their opinions. Realy, without A vs B does it realy matter? NPs out there, do you feel like you are more independent, for real? Am I making a mistake? Please no fights. Just the real deal,please! I have to move on fast on this one.
Thanks all 😀

As a doc, and I find this to be true in a number of emergency medicine groups, I am more likely to hire a PA than an NP. It goes to the theories of practice and also the involvement that the departments of nursing maintain in NP careers at many hospitals. PAs (from these standpoints) have proven less hassle to work with.

I will grant this is merely my anecdotal experience and observations and they are limited to emergency medicine. I know little of NP vs. PA in other settings.

- H
 
Better to just do the "2 Year" PA program and be done with it. I faced a similar conundrum as a respiratory therapist years ago. I was considering CRNA, but when I did the math, PA school was the obvious choice. I echo the "Theories of Practice" statement as well. Medical Model rules over mindless protocols.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As an NP with hospital background...
I think if you are an NP and you have strong previous clinical background it will be very hard to 'practice' under a nursing administration. I also think if you have never worked as a 'nurse' and don't have an idea of the nursing department and how nurses work it will be very hard to be a strong NP just getting out of school. My experience in my 'real life' and what I learned from the docs around me and the patients/families i cared for was more of a benefit than my formal education It is two different schools of thought and for me I could never, ever again report to a VP of nursing. It's just so much baloney all the time and I certainly don't want to report to anyone who has never really assumed responsibility for a patients medical care. **(i'm sure there are the VP's who are also NP's so i'll state my retraction before anyone can comment ... I do not mean them). I am presently in private practice with hospital privledges and take full call . I work 'ridiculous' hours and make a very good salary. If i had to do it again......I'd have gone to medical school...period. But when i started years ago i truly didn't know better.

However, In my state you 'stand on your own license' so it's always looming that litigation is out there and people will sue you if you screw up. I take my role cautiously, and seriously and utilize my resouces at any time i have doubt. I've been blessed with a boss (nephrologist) who despite being 'old school' has really helped me to build my PCP practice and also serves as the one person I can truly count on. On the other hand I've reported previously to an intensivist and I will say he was nothing less than encouraging in expanding my skills and knowledge.
In a hospital if the PA's and NP's both fall under DOM in similar roles or even interchangeable ones (i.e., house officer) i've not seen a difference. For all the times i've been called a PA...i wish i had a quarter. However, my state also makes PA's have supervising docs. I can say i wish i had the strong science background that PA programs demand and i really think the program has better pathophys. It's funny I've worked with Pa's who've been medics in vietnam and have done amazing things and have years of experience that I'd trust more than some of their supervisors
Do what works for you....and check the state regs. they may be similar for both groups. Good luck.
p.s why not just go back to the med school route??
 
Hey lizzied2003!
Thanks for the input.Very interesting. As to "why not go back to med school?"
Well...may sound like an excuse, but I'm 35, married, have one kid.Also my personal health is not the greatest (got NIDDM), more or less controled, with lots and lots of physical activity, very strict carb modified diet and Glucophage XR.But I noticed that under stress, or after not having a good night sleep sugar, and the mood jumps quite a bit. And as you know med school has lots of both (stress, and not sleeping).Not to mention the tourchure of residency 😱 .I know it's gotten better with an 80 hr rule, and I was looking to get into neuro, pmr, or IM/FM if less lucky. Some suggest that blowing 7-8 yrs, and close to $200 Gs in debt is not worth it, especialy for the PCP thing.I'm in NY.To start a solo practice from scratch these days just about as qrazy as it gets.And if I have to buddy up with someone...well here goes the "top dog", and the "authority" thing. But I've been also looking to move to FL or AZ.Both are quite good prospects for just about anything in the health field. BTW I've been an RN for 15 yrs, with all kinds of in house, and outpatient, and paper pushing/administration crap. But I just don't enjoy nursing, no matter what they pay me for it. I've been into 6 figures...still just flat out resnt it. I also have M.S in Acupuncture /OM, been in private practice,did quite all right...but again, quite limited.I understand that nothing less than a doc will do for me.But the age, the family, and more importantly this diabetes thing is a bit scary.Another thing where I went wrong is applying to Carib med schools first, just didn't want to bother with MCAT.Had I put in the time and effort in it I'm sure I could've gotten in NYCOM (my choice).I'm still undecided.The thing that I dread the most is if I went for the PA or the NP thing, at the end I could wind up just as dissatisfied as I am right now. But the practical matter of MD/DO vs PA/NP is very real too. I just wish I had that crystal ball telling me if I could pull off NYCOM and residency(? 🙁 )There would have been no question...Doc is the only choice.But if not, then next best thing is PA...or may be MBA, or better yet... just nothing at all 🙄 😀
I've never been so freaken confused in my entire life like that. It's realy debilitating exp.
Sorry for a long post
Thanks again

lizzied2003 said:
As an NP with hospital background...
I think if you are an NP and you have strong previous clinical background it will be very hard to 'practice' under a nursing administration. I also think if you have never worked as a 'nurse' and don't have an idea of the nursing department and how nurses work it will be very hard to be a strong NP just getting out of school. My experience in my 'real life' and what I learned from the docs around me and the patients/families i cared for was more of a benefit than my formal education It is two different schools of thought and for me I could never, ever again report to a VP of nursing. It's just so much baloney all the time and I certainly don't want to report to anyone who has never really assumed responsibility for a patients medical care. **(i'm sure there are the VP's who are also NP's so i'll state my retraction before anyone can comment ... I do not mean them). I am presently in private practice with hospital privledges and take full call . I work 'ridiculous' hours and make a very good salary. If i had to do it again......I'd have gone to medical school...period. But when i started years ago i truly didn't know better.

However, In my state you 'stand on your own license' so it's always looming that litigation is out there and people will sue you if you screw up. I take my role cautiously, and seriously and utilize my resouces at any time i have doubt. I've been blessed with a boss (nephrologist) who despite being 'old school' has really helped me to build my PCP practice and also serves as the one person I can truly count on. On the other hand I've reported previously to an intensivist and I will say he was nothing less than encouraging in expanding my skills and knowledge.
In a hospital if the PA's and NP's both fall under DOM in similar roles or even interchangeable ones (i.e., house officer) i've not seen a difference. For all the times i've been called a PA...i wish i had a quarter. However, my state also makes PA's have supervising docs. I can say i wish i had the strong science background that PA programs demand and i really think the program has better pathophys. It's funny I've worked with Pa's who've been medics in vietnam and have done amazing things and have years of experience that I'd trust more than some of their supervisors
Do what works for you....and check the state regs. they may be similar for both groups. Good luck.
p.s why not just go back to the med school route??
 
(Dr)Foughtfyr thanks for the input. I noticed in some other threads "NP vs PA" that most docs are very particular about choosing PAs over NPs. This may be due to the concept of NP is poorly understood,it's not a medical model,and the constant push for an absolute independence 🙄 Actually many NPs have admitted to me privately that their clinical prep is nowhere near of where they wanted it to be right after the school. But in all fairness though,many had prior critical care/ER exp, and doing O'K.

Hey Guetzow! Thanks for the repply. CRNA is probably as clinical, and as independent as gets for nurses. But the cost, and the time...you'll be beter off being a doc with a couple of extra yrs. BTW, first and foremost, any regrets of not doing a med school? What specialty are you practicing in? Can you do things like chealations, IV vitamin infusions, , bioidentical hormone Tx, and some of the other integrative med stuff. Also what about OMM, if working with DO. See, I'm not hung up on being called a "doc" as I used to, but I want to have some certain practice freedom of doing things which aren't only orthodox. I realize you need a doc to "supervise".But these days new med school grads can't afford solo practice,for the most part,anyway.So in this regard PA will do just as good as MD/DO for me. Also what about picking some new trends in Europe,or may be Australia and incorporating them into practice in U.S? Can you bill independently as a PA?
Thank You All



FoughtFyr said:
As a doc, and I find this to be true in a number of emergency medicine groups, I am more likely to hire a PA than an NP. It goes to the theories of practice and also the involvement that the departments of nursing maintain in NP careers at many hospitals. PAs (from these standpoints) have proven less hassle to work with.

I will grant this is merely my anecdotal experience and observations and they are limited to emergency medicine. I know little of NP vs. PA in other settings.

- H
 
Your background sounds close to mine...years of nursing and critical care and also high administration. The politics of admin. were a nightmare. The frustration of bedside nursing were also tough. I don't think you are too old to pursue this but i understand your retrospect and the difficulty with NIDDM (never mind putting food on the table for your family). I do think one thing is definite...If you feel that you wantto make more on a difference in the outcome of how a patient does.... pursue 'something' to make it happen. If you are participating in a higher level of patient care you may not feel satifiied 100 percent of the time but you'll know that your not sitting waiting for something to happen. good luck again.
 
guetzow said:
Better to just do the "2 Year" PA program and be done with it. I faced a similar conundrum as a respiratory therapist years ago. I was considering CRNA, but when I did the math, PA school was the obvious choice. I echo the "Theories of Practice" statement as well. Medical Model rules over mindless protocols.
Hey guetzow!
I realized this thread was burried over long weekend.But I wanted to ask your take on the Greensanism "conundrum" as it relates to your decision PA vs CRNA. They are quite diferent, but also very much on my mind. Any regrets not going CRNA route. The diff seems to be the $$$, judging by averages. I have an opportunity to enter PA and be done with that in even less than 2 yrs.(Same college where I did my undegrad, and transf cr from med school). But the thought of always being at murcy of a doc is daunting :scared: . When you say "math" did you mean the time, $$$ or both? Yup...decisions,decisions.
Thanks 😀
 
Is the Maestro cool or what? But really....Time, money, and time again (As time 'is' money). Now, as far as CRNA vs PA Salarie$, that is a matter of debate. Though the 'seasoned' PAs' average salary is somewhere in the neigborhood of 80ish, many a PA makes upwards of 100K. Figure in the 'Boring Factor' (Sitting at the anesthesia machine watching the surgeons have all the fun), and PA seems like the obvious choice. I have no regrets, in retrospect (After doing lots of first assisting and 'Knowing' what CRNAs do). In regards to the PA-SP (Supervising Physician) 'control' issue, that depends on the job you land. It is incumbent upon the PA to practice due diligence and screen for such possibly personality pitfalls at the interviews. Remember, you are also interviewing 'them' (And the work environment, etc, etc). I have no sympathy for those who jump in headlong then whine after the fact. I don't make a bundle, but it's appropriate for what I do, the SP gives me a fair amount of autonomy, the working environment is great, and the hours can't be beat (No call).
 
guetzow said:
Is the Maestro cool or what? But really....Time, money, and time again (As time 'is' money). Now, as far as CRNA vs PA Salarie$, that is a matter of debate. Though the 'seasoned' PAs' average salary is somewhere in the neigborhood of 80ish, many a PA makes upwards of 100K. Figure in the 'Boring Factor' (Sitting at the anesthesia machine watching the surgeons have all the fun), and PA seems like the obvious choice. I have no regrets, in retrospect (After doing lots of first assisting and 'Knowing' what CRNAs do). In regards to the PA-SP (Supervising Physician) 'control' issue, that depends on the job you land. It is incumbent upon the PA to practice due diligence and screen for such possibly personality pitfalls at the interviews. Remember, you are also interviewing 'them' (And the work environment, etc, etc). I have no sympathy for those who jump in headlong then whine after the fact. I don't make a bundle, but it's appropriate for what I do, the SP gives me a fair amount of autonomy, the working environment is great, and the hours can't be beat (No call).
Thanks buddy for an info. I realy need it. You see had I not been an RN already, I wouldn't even question that. PA would be then the only reasonable choice. It's a tough call. It almost looks to me as I'm trying to justify (to myself) not continuing at the med school. I know ppl a lot older than me (35) did med school.But I'm not sure that even if I've gone through all the hell of the school and the residency...it still may not be what I was looking for. If yo don't mind I'll pm a couple of PA related Qs to you.Just need to ask some specific stuff.
Thanks again 😀
 
billydoc said:
Hey Guys!
Just the other day I posted my NP vs MD tread. Many of you suggested they I'd take a PA route. And silly little me was argueing that I want to capitalize on being RN, and go for NP. But here is a catch:I have a B.S. and M.S degree, but neithe one of them is in nursing. So, in order to enter NP program I'll have to do BSN, then MSN, and only then FNP certificate. I'd say about
3 1/2-4 yrs deal.Well, I might have as well stayed at my Carib med school that withdrew from. But what I discounted in all of that is:my B.S degree is mostly pre-med,and comes from Touro college in NY. They have their own PA program,and I'm their graduate with 3.65 overal GPA. So what doyuo think guys? I think they'll take me into PA. I also wanted to ask both NPs and PAs to give me their opinions. Realy, without A vs B does it realy matter? NPs out there, do you feel like you are more independent, for real? Am I making a mistake? Please no fights. Just the real deal,please! I have to move on fast on this one.
Thanks all 😀

Hey billydoc!

Just wondering where you are in your decision? I'm debating between PA and NP... so many more Direct Entry Masters programs out there than PA... but would much preferred to be trained under the medical model (I think...). Of course I keep having the MD/DO debate with myself as well, lol, but I don't think I can/want to invest the time and money at 29 years old and wanting a family in the near future.

Anyway... just curious as to where you were on this! 🙂
Izzy
 
Hey Izzygal!
Yeah, I'm at the point of flipping a coin :laugh: .But one thing is for sure MD/DO is what I would want idealy. I wish I would've taken myself out of comfort zone back when I was 29. My dtr was only one yo back then, and that diabetes thing didn't seem to bother me as much as sometimes it does. But Hx does care for could've/should've. If you have the support system and the backing of your family, or s/o I'd say go for the "doc" thing. You could always "downgrade" it to the NP/PA route. I do not mean to say that PA/NP would make you somehow of a lesser person. But I get a feeling that you may not be satisfied with "not being a doc." Of course, anyone who's taking the longest, and the hardest way out should get the most reward. But if you do choose to go down that road make sure you absolutely understand what you are getting yourself into, and realy, realy want it. As for NP vs PA....you know it's been debated at nauseum. If I wasn't an RN already,there would be no doubts in my mind to take the PA route. In my humble opinion, PA programs for the most part have a lot more substance, and the science background to them. That's not to say that there aren't any NPs outthere with excellent clinical skills. Basicaly in either capacity you'll be competing for the same jobs :mid-level, physician-extender, or one cool German word "Feldscher" that describes mid-level non-physicians in European medical model almost universally. The things to consider though, that NPs are nurses first, and as such they have a very militant political power, and are far better at protecting their turfs. Unfortunetely PAs are not backed by AMA, or at least not as much. Also PA vs NP seems to be more of a regional issue, if nothing else. My advise is try shadowing all of the professions that you have in mind. It should help you to narrow your search, and to come up with something taht you,hopefully, will be happy with 😀
Good Luck with your decision

Izzygal said:
Hey billydoc!

Just wondering where you are in your decision? I'm debating between PA and NP... so many more Direct Entry Masters programs out there than PA... but would much preferred to be trained under the medical model (I think...). Of course I keep having the MD/DO debate with myself as well, lol, but I don't think I can/want to invest the time and money at 29 years old and wanting a family in the near future.

Anyway... just curious as to where you were on this! 🙂
Izzy
 
billydoc said:
I also have M.S in Acupuncture /OM, been in private practice,did quite all right...but again, quite limited.But if not, then next best thing is PA...or may be MBA, or better yet... just nothing at all 🙄 😀
I've never been so freaken confused in my entire life like that. It's realy debilitating exp.
Sorry for a long post
Thanks again

What was so limiting about the acupuncture practice if you're practicing under that model? With so many people turning to alternative practitioners you ought to be the top cherry! I've got an MBA and it's really only for business and I've done that route but prefer clinical practice. You might stay confused all your life, ha, ha. I'm 54 and doing an FNP which is the best route for me as I can do a post-masters program, but do want to do more of the alternative route...ortho combined with my Zen Shiatsu practice. Too bad you can't do much recreational drinking!
 
Hey Zenman!
Most of the limit comes from your scope of practice as an L.Ac. Remember this is not like MD or DO who take a very short certification course, and that's exactly what they become C.Ac (for certified). The certy is only an extention of their medical licence, but they still practice medicine. For me being an RN it's hard to combine it with my L.Ac because as an L.Ac I cannot Dx, Tx in Western medical terms, but as an RN I do not have the power to do anything without doc's order. So it's mainly trying to keep two professions separate. Also there are very bad billing issues. Docs with C.Ac (max 300hrs in NY) have no problems getting reimbursed by the insurances and workman's comp, where I with my M.S in OM (over 4000 hrs) and L.Ac get "0", because I'm not a doctor. Nany patients are fooled by "one stop shoping" thing, and not having to pay out of pocket, when acupuncture is "done" by MD/DO. Of course, some of these docs still have some shame. They admit not knowing $**t about OM, and vendor out to ppl like me. But most of the time will have to split fee 50/50. And it's not even legal, but that's the reality of practicing the OM in NY/NJ area 🙄 .
Have a good one 😀

zenman said:
What was so limiting about the acupuncture practice if you're practicing under that model? With so many people turning to alternative practitioners you ought to be the top cherry! I've got an MBA and it's really only for business and I've done that route but prefer clinical practice. You might stay confused all your life, ha, ha. I'm 54 and doing an FNP which is the best route for me as I can do a post-masters program, but do want to do more of the alternative route...ortho combined with my Zen Shiatsu practice. Too bad you can't do much recreational drinking!
 
I went to Austin to study acupuncture in 1997 but liked the Zen Shiastu classes more and dropped acupuncture. I did see the Academy of Oriental Medicine expand 3 times in the 5 years I was there, not just in student size but with more OMs as well. They accepted only cash, VISA, etc. and no insurance. The private clinic and student clinic were pretty busy.

My nursing background also gave me grief unless I just forgot it and didn't try to combine it with the Eastern model. 😕
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
guetzow
You don't have a clue what CRNA's do. Go to gaswork.com. Check out those salaries bub. You know as well as I PA's start at about 60k. By the way I've never seen a protocol. Just what are you talking about?
 
CRNA'S make a great living. no doubt about it. I have all the respect in the world for the crna/aa folks.
regarding this statement, however I must disagree:

"You know as well as I PA's start at about 60k"
while this may have been true years ago the avg pa salary last yr was 76k. there may still be primary care jobs in the middle of nowhere starting at 60 k but most jobs now pay significantly more with many specialty pa's making 100-125k+.I don't know any em pa's making less than 100k/yr for 40 hrs/16 shifts/mo of fast track. those with a broad scope of practice working in the main er and/or in a solo setting make 125k+. the highest paid member of our empa group last yr made 160k with a bit of overtime.
 
Just wanted to see if there are some RNs who chose to go the PA instead of the NP route? If so, why? I'm asking because get almost ripped to shreds by some of my RN peers. But no wars please. I'm well aware of the diff NP vs PA and vise versa.
Thanks 😀
 
They were all mature (40's-50's), level-headed, professionals. It is a natural progression. In fact, there is an accelerated PA program (< 2 years) that accepts RNs only.
 
billydoc said:
Hey Izzygal!
Yeah, I'm at the point of flipping a coin :laugh: .But one thing is for sure MD/DO is what I would want idealy. I wish I would've taken myself out of comfort zone back when I was 29. My dtr was only one yo back then, and that diabetes thing didn't seem to bother me as much as sometimes it does. But Hx does care for could've/should've. If you have the support system and the backing of your family, or s/o I'd say go for the "doc" thing. You could always "downgrade" it to the NP/PA route. I do not mean to say that PA/NP would make you somehow of a lesser person. But I get a feeling that you may not be satisfied with "not being a doc." Of course, anyone who's taking the longest, and the hardest way out should get the most reward. But if you do choose to go down that road make sure you absolutely understand what you are getting yourself into, and realy, realy want it. As for NP vs PA....you know it's been debated at nauseum. If I wasn't an RN already,there would be no doubts in my mind to take the PA route. In my humble opinion, PA programs for the most part have a lot more substance, and the science background to them. That's not to say that there aren't any NPs outthere with excellent clinical skills. Basicaly in either capacity you'll be competing for the same jobs :mid-level, physician-extender, or one cool German word "Feldscher" that describes mid-level non-physicians in European medical model almost universally. The things to consider though, that NPs are nurses first, and as such they have a very militant political power, and are far better at protecting their turfs. Unfortunetely PAs are not backed by AMA, or at least not as much. Also PA vs NP seems to be more of a regional issue, if nothing else. My advise is try shadowing all of the professions that you have in mind. It should help you to narrow your search, and to come up with something taht you,hopefully, will be happy with 😀
Good Luck with your decision

Thanks billydoc and sorry for my late response! I'm wishing there were more PA programs in the country! Anyway... I'm so interested in why people chose the route they do as well... so hoping more people will post here as well. Thank you so much for your feedback and let me know your progression! 🙂

Izzy
 
"I'm wishing there were more PA programs in the country"

140 programs isn't enough?
 
emedpa said:
"I'm wishing there were more PA programs in the country"

140 programs isn't enough?
Hi Emedpa!
Any advise on Touro program in NY (Mineola,LI). Not their new Master's program. I did my undegrad/premed there, and "comming back" is always easier then applying as a freshman somewhere else. If I had my BSN I'd probably would go for NP, but after having my RN for 15 yrs, spending another year just to do some silly research to get the "N" in my premed BS degree... 😱. Seems very impractical. Also I noticed that after studying for only two semesters at the medical school, I realized that I will never ever look at the problems the way I used to as a nurse. But for many reasons med school right now seems like a long shot. I'm fighting with myself, because I want to do what's right for myself, and my family. But I definitly gravitate towards medical model. Damn what this med school did to me :laugh:.
So what do ya'll think about the future of the PA profession in the US? Is PA more marketable than NP in NY and FL? I personely don't know any NPs in absolutly independent practice. Even many new docs simply cannot afford to be in solo practice here in NYC. Everybody seems to buddy up with each other to stay afloat. Decisions, decisions :scared: 😕 Any RNs in PA program, or already practicing please pm me.
Thanks All
 
Hi Emedpa!
Any advise on Touro program in NY (Mineola,LI).

sorry, don't know much about it. have heard good things about the touro program in valejo, ca which is pa/mph.
 
emedpa said:
"I'm wishing there were more PA programs in the country"

140 programs isn't enough?

Well, ok, ok, I guess. 😉 But I'm comparing to NP programs, which "seem" to be located in larger cities and well, there are just more of them. I unfortunately am not able to just move to wherever I'm accepted, so I get a little frustrated with my options...
 
Izzygal said:
Well, ok, ok, I guess. 😉 But I'm comparing to NP programs, which "seem" to be located in larger cities and well, there are just more of them. I unfortunately am not able to just move to wherever I'm accepted, so I get a little frustrated with my options...
where are you located? there are pa programs all over the place. I would happilly post a list of your local programs.....
 
emedpa said:
where are you located? there are pa programs all over the place. I would happilly post a list of your local programs.....

At the time I will start, I will live in the bay area, near Palo Alto, which leaves me with only Stanford. 🙁
 
Izzygal said:
At the time I will start, I will live in the bay area, near Palo Alto, which leaves me with only Stanford. 🙁
actually there is a program in vallejo at touro also which is pa/mph and a program at davis(ok a bit of a drive.....)as well as the samuel merritt program in oakland
here are all 10 ca programs...
California (10 listings)

Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science - C, B
Physician Assistant Program
College of Health Sciences
1731 East 120th Street
Los Angeles, CA
90059
Phone: 323/563-5879
Email: [email protected]

Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California - M
Physician Assistant Program
Department of Family Medicine
1000 South Fremont Avenue, Unit 7, Bldg. A-6, Rm. 6429
Alhambra, CA
91803-8897
Phone: 626/457-4240
Email: [email protected]

Loma Linda University - M
Physician Assistant Program
School of Allied Health Professions
Nichol Hall, Room 2033
Loma Linda , CA
92350
Phone: 909/558-7295
Email: [email protected]

Riverside County Regional Medical Center/Riverside Community College - C, A
Primary Care PA Program
16130 Lasselle Street
Moreno Valley, CA
92551
Phone: 909/571-6166


Samuel Merritt College - M
Physician Assistant Program
450 30th Street, Ste. 4708
Oakland, CA
94609
Phone: 510/869-6623
Email: [email protected]

San Joaquin Valley College - A, B and M options
Primary Care PA Program
8400 West Mineral King Avenue
Visalia, CA
93291
Phone: 559/651-2500 ext. 351
Email: [email protected]

Stanford University School of Medicine - C, A, M option
Primary Care Associate Program
Family Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant Program
703 Welch Road, Suite F-1
Palo Alto, CA
94304-5750
Phone: 650/725-6959
Email: [email protected]

Touro University - California College of Health Sciences- M
Physician Assistant Program
Office of Admissions
1310 Johnson Lane
Vallejo, CA
94592
Phone: 888/652-7580
Email: [email protected]

Univ. of California - Davis - C
Physician Assistant Program/Family Nurse Practitioner Program
Department of Family and Community Medicine
2516 Stockton Blvd, Suite 254
Sacramento, CA
95817-2297
Phone: 916/734-3551
Email: [email protected]

Western University of Health Sciences - M
Primary Care Physician Assistant Program
309 E. Second Street
Pomona, CA
91766-1854
Phone: 909/469-5378
Email: [email protected]
 
Thank you emedpa for taking the time to do that! I am going to look into all the surrounding schools and figure out just how far I can travel and still remain sane. I'm assuming I would spend a lot of hours in the classroom EVERYDAY so driving could becoming an issue, but what about clinicals? Would I be able to be at a hospital closer to home - let's say, if I ended up getting into Davis and lived in Palo Alto?

Thanks again!
Izzy
 
Izzygal said:
Thank you emedpa for taking the time to do that! I am going to look into all the surrounding schools and figure out just how far I can travel and still remain sane. I'm assuming I would spend a lot of hours in the classroom EVERYDAY so driving could becoming an issue, but what about clinicals? Would I be able to be at a hospital closer to home - let's say, if I ended up getting into Davis and lived in Palo Alto?

Thanks again!
Izzy

arranging your own rotation sites is always an option as long as you cover all the required rotations. there are plenty of hospitals and solo docs in the bay area so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding rotation sites.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad