Are you guys & gals in denial?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

birdieDPM

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There was this thread here recently asking about the negativity over at the Podiatry Forum on Network 54 , now someone there has asked Other podiatry student forums -- denial?. In the meantime Podiatry Arena continue to discuss:
Why all of the podiatry negativity?
Podiatry Negativity
Podiatry Negativity on the Internet

lol
don't ya just luv this stuff :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Podiatry is alive and well. I know that because I see it everyday. There are whiners and failures in every profession.

Members don't see this ad :)
birdieDPM said:
There was this thread here recently asking about the negativity over at the Podiatry Forum on Network 54 , now someone there has asked Other podiatry student forums -- denial?. In the meantime Podiatry Arena continue to discuss:
Why all of the podiatry negativity?
Podiatry Negativity
Podiatry Negativity on the Internet

lol
don't ya just luv this stuff :laugh:

Ok guys, I mistakingly fed the fire by posting a thread concerning negativity in those forums. But in my offense, I was just concerned about something that I cared about and couldn't understand why people in those other places were acting like idiots. Now, after finishing my first semester at podiatry school I feel like I have a better grasp on what is going on in our profession. I am not worried about those people or how they feel and suggest all who see their posts to disregard them. Once again, I apologize for my previous ignorance....but hey, it was posted with good intentions.

>it was posted with good intentions.

I would not worry about that. It was the network 54 stuff I laugh at. P-arena is one of the friendler places to post at.

You have to be able to see some point in the negativity, there are only so many DPM's out there, and the school's keep "pumping out" new DPM's year after year. The old-timers just can't cut it compared to the new graduates so they're mad and disgruntled and post negative comments to scare everyone off!

hug793 said:
You have to be able to see some point in the negativity, there are only so many DPM's out there, and the school's keep "pumping out" new DPM's year after year. The old-timers just can't cut it compared to the new graduates so they're mad and disgruntled and post negative comments to scare everyone off!
Agreed! Plus you have to understand that there are unhappy people in EVERY profession. That doesn't make the profession bad. On a side note, the funny thing with the internet is you are never quite sure WHO is posting. I bet that some of these people aren't even DPM's.

jonwill said:
Agreed! Plus you have to understand that there are unhappy people in EVERY profession. That doesn't make the profession bad. On a side note, the funny thing with the internet is you are never quite sure WHO is posting. I bet that some of these people aren't even DPM's.

Yeah! I think you are accurate in your analysis of these type of people. I am sure they can be catagorized into:

DOCLM's DSM for people that thinks we are in denial. :laugh:

1- didn't make it as a professional because of personal reasons

2- was not able to get much if any residency because of the graduate/placement problems some of those old times had. Matter of fact, the best residency that they could dream of was something similar to PM&S-24. Currently, this is the bottom of the residencies that some POD residents today may have to settle for it they couldn't keep up their GPA or National Board Scores. However, it is much better than no surgical residency.

3- someone who is not even a DPM, but knows one who failed and complains about the profession.

Well, contrary to the "recruiter" (yes some schools actually have recruiters... I'm sure they wouldn't waste their valuable time on a message board though;) mentality that abounds on this forum, I believe that many of those negative posts do have a valid point.

Consider 200K in podiatry school loans on top of your undergrad loans, car loans, credit card debt and regular living expenses.... without the same option to defer after graduation as the regular medical students....

Imagine paying your monthly podiatry bill on 40K/yr during 2-4 yrs of residency! Lol, "another order of beans and rice for the pod graduate?!" That's the reality of it.

Then, when you do finish a residency, where the hell are you going to work??? If you start your own business, who is going to lend you all that cash when you are already swimming in pod school debt? The Tooth Ferry? Santa Claus?

You may be forced to work for a ton less than what you're "worth," and there will be opportunistic vultures ready to hire you for a profit for them, not you.

Then, on top of it all, imagine being trained as a dang fine podiatric surgeon of the foot and ankle only to find out that whoops, they don't let me do all that fancy stuff in the state where you live...... Time to move!
Wait, that costs money!

The fact is, young podiatry students should be very afraid of the debt and what it can do to them...

Grades and residency are only one very small aspect of the podiatry game!
He who has the highest grade point average or the best residency doesn't automatically win this fun game!!!

I highly recommend that pod students "Play it smart!"

whiskers said:
Well, contrary to the "recruiter" (yes some schools actually have recruiters... I'm sure they wouldn't waste their valuable time on a message board though;) mentality that abounds on this forum, I believe that many of those negative posts do have a valid point.

Consider 200K in podiatry school loans on top of your undergrad loans, car loans, credit card debt and regular living expenses.... without the same option to defer after graduation as the regular medical students....

Imagine paying your monthly podiatry bill on 40K/yr during 2-4 yrs of residency! Lol, "another order of beans and rice for the pod graduate?!" That's the reality of it.

Then, when you do finish a residency, where the hell are you going to work??? If you start your own business, who is going to lend you all that cash when you are already swimming in pod school debt? The Tooth Ferry? Santa Claus?

You may be forced to work for a ton less than what you're "worth," and there will be opportunistic vultures ready to hire you for a profit for them, not you.

Then, on top of it all, imagine being trained as a dang fine podiatric surgeon of the foot and ankle only to find out that whoops, they don't let me do all that fancy stuff in the state where you live...... Time to move!
Wait, that costs money!

The fact is, young podiatry students should be very afraid of the debt and what it can do to them...

He who has the highest grade point average or the best residency doesn't automatically win this fun game!!!

You can defer your loans after graduation like any other medical student. And you can also get many loans to start a practice if that is what you want. My friend was approved for a 1.5 million dollar loan last summer to build a medical office with a surgical center. This would hold many other medical specialties as his partner is an internist. However, the internist did not apply for the loan because the pod grad was approved for more. I asked him why and he said becase pods have a higher earning potential due to surgery. He deferred his loans in residency and is now doing very well.

whiskers said:

Wait, that costs money!

Wiskers can correct me if I am wrong but I think his post has the intention of scring off people who are not sure that they want podiatry.

From many of his other posts it seems that that is the message he is trying to spread. That the prospective students should research their decision very carefully and decide very carefully if this is really what they want.

My 2 cents is that this site is for exactly that - research into the profession and schooling so it would be more better if we were all supportive and tried not to scare people away. Just tell the truth the best you can and hope it helps others make the right decision for them.

:laugh:
krabmas said:
Wiskers can correct me if I am wrong but I think his post has the intention of scring off people who are not sure that they want podiatry.

From many of his other posts it seems that that is the message he is trying to spread. That the prospective students should research their decision very carefully and decide very carefully if this is really what they want.

My 2 cents is that this site is for exactly that - research into the profession and schooling so it would be more better if we were all supportive and tried not to scare people away. Just tell the truth the best you can and hope it helps others make the right decision for them.

I totally agree with you!! :thumbup:

I think Wiskers is a little extreme when it comes to indentifing pseudo PODS :laugh:

Whos the recruiter anyway? :confused:

I think Wiskers paranoia may be able to fit into some "pseudo DSM" catagory of mine. :laugh:

That's exactly right krabmas. Sure, it would be great to cheer all day for the schools and the profession, but the fact is that students leave the podiatry schools every year for various reasons which costs them (the students) big money.

In my very honest opinion, podiatry has a very long way to go to be on par with the other medical physicians.

In my opinion, podiatry needs a stronger moral compass with true leaders willing to make some decisions...

But it is also my opinion that the changes I am speaking of will only come when the real physicians decide to have compassion on us.

What would I like to see done?

1. Update exam questions on a regular basis,
2. Have guidelines restricting tutors, only for those students who are failing a class or are almost failing a class.
3. Have guidelines about the number of tutors a student can have for one class. I don't know if this is true or not, I've heard a few stories.... Anyone want to verify it??? Lol!
4. Stop the inter-school rivalry. We're not 16 anymore. Your school may be better than mine, but I'm sure it has a few problems too.
5. Have higher admission standards?
6. Drop the scholarships, it's funny to listen to people complain about the military tricking people with their education benefits, but not a peep about this one!!!
7. Hire many more full time professors
8. Stop the academic incest!!!! I mean, let's try to hire graduates from other schools? I mean, sure, you think your grads are the best, but.... the rest of the educational community knows and avoids this taboo!
9. Have real numbers for the boards and more difficult boards.
10. Have a professional channel for a disgruntled student to go through regarding complaints that have not been adequately handled by a school.

These are just a few changes I'd like to see regarding our professional education.
Now fireworks? For speaking my mind?@

whiskers said:
That's exactly right krabmas. Sure, it would be great to cheer all day for the schools and the profession, but the fact is that students leave the podiatry schools every year for various reasons which costs them (the students) big money.

In my very honest opinion, podiatry has a very long way to go to be on par with the other medical physicians.

In my opinion, podiatry needs a stronger moral compass with true leaders willing to make some decisions...

But it is also my opinion that the changes I am speaking of will only come when the real physicians decide to have compassion on us.

2. Have guidelines restricting tutors, only for those students who are failing a class or are almost failing a class.
3. Have guidelines about the number of tutors a student can have for one class. I don't know if this is true or not, I've heard a few stories.... Anyone want to verify it??? Lol!
4. Stop the inter-school rivalry. We're not 16 anymore. Your school may be better than mine, but I'm sure it has a few problems too.
6. Drop the scholarships, it's funny to listen to people complain about the military tricking people with their education benefits, but not a peep about this one!!!
8. Stop the academic incest!!!! I mean, let's try to hire graduates from other schools? I mean, sure, you think your grads are the best, but.... the rest of the educational community knows and avoids this taboo!
10. Have a professional channel for a disgruntled student to go through regarding complaints that have not been adequately handled by a school.

These are just a few changes I'd like to see regarding our professional education.

Whiskers, I'm just curious. Did you "leave" pod school?

whiskers said:

You are hilarious. I think it is funny that you think little tests within school will define the physician. Im sure most doctors, of all types, will agree that your clinical exposure is more valuable than didactics. Change the test questions and then podiatrists will be real physicians??? That is funny. Sounds like you are blaming all your problems and failures on a few exams. But we have already established that in other threads.

Here is my theory. You have nothing to do with podiatry and you like to come here and stir up commotion. You know how ridiculous you sound and realize the responses that may come from it, all for your enjoyment. But that is just my theory.

Im with JonWill, how about you give us some background on yourself. What are you currently doing with your life? Goals?

The old test thing really seems to stir up the pod school gitters? Doesn't it?

Why?

Certainly I had many other points of contention, but this is the one that seems to solicit the most responses!

Lol, I really have no idea why that could be! Maybe some are worried that one of the profs might pull a late-night switch-a-roo?

Lol, that could be refreshing!
Variety should be the spice of life!

whiskers said:
The old test thing really seems to stir up the pod school gitters? Doesn't it?

Why?

Certainly I had many other points of contention, but this is the one that seems to solicit the most responses!

Lol, I really have no idea why that could be! Maybe some are worried that one of the profs might pull a late-night switch-a-roo?

Lol, that could be refreshing!
Variety should be the spice of life!

You never answered my question! And as far as your 1-10 above, all schools already do all of these things (yes, I have friends and am well versed on the curriculums at EVERY school. There are only 8 programs for crying out loud!). I don't understand your complaints.

jonwill said:
You never answered my question! And as far as your 1-10 above, all schools already do all of these things (yes, I have friends and am well versed on the curriculums at EVERY school. There are only 8 programs for crying out loud!). I don't understand your complaints.

wiskers complaints do not come from one school but rather the rumors from all the schools. not the facts.

I think wiskers wants to persuade others to stay away from podiatry so only those that are really interested go into it. I think it is a good idea in theory however there are other more positive ways to do that like by telling people what a great, rewarding but challenging profession this is.

Wiskers - even in MD schools there will be professors that are not that great at teaching, students that just want to pass, students that find old tests and do not share them... LIFE IS NOT FAIR - get over it!

And what school do you go to wiskers? If you refuse to answer I think all of us usual poster should just ignore wiskers and his rumor based complaints.