UHS 2005

Started by Kristina
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Kristina

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! Anyone else going to UHS this fall? By my count, there are at least another 249 students!

I'm living in KC and happy to answer any questions you may have about the city, housing, and such. I highly recommend the "Cow Parade" on the Plaza. lol...

See you in August! (or before then for drinks, Royals games, picnics....)

Bye....

Kristina
[email protected]
 
Hey Kristina,
I am also in the class of 2005. I will be moving to KC in the first week of August and I was wondering if you have any recommendations in terms of good areas to live or good apartment complexes you might know of. I am hoping to come down in the middle of July to go apartment hunting though I hope that will not be too late to find something. Anyway, if you have any useful tips, please pass them my way.
Thanks!!
 
Kristina,
Hey, I am also in the '05 class at UHS. I live in Kansas City as well, my wife works in the admissions office at UHS, she started about 3 weeks ago. I work with 2 more guys that will also be in our class. My email address is [email protected] or give me a call (816) 584-0506. Drop me a line or give me a call. We would like to get together before school.
My name is JT DeWitt-- I guess I should have said that first!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Frangi....

If you have not already, check out the UHS housing topic on this site. It definately cover KC housing! The bottomline is from rural, to surbarban, to urban KC and the surrounding area is a great place to live! Let me know when you are coming to town and maybe we can get togther. I work nights, but have some time off!

Also, if you are looking for a roommate, Batory has posted a request. He's looking for someone interested in living near school. mompremed is the local expert on housing, and a personal friend of mine. She'll hook ya up with whatever you're looking for in KC!

Good Luck...

Kristina
[email protected]
 
How about we plan an informal get together at one of KC's watering holes? I'm available the evenings of July 14th and 28th.

If you're interested, let me know and I'll post a meeting time and place.

For the KC residents...any suggestions on the location? I'm thinking Westport/Plaza area.
 
Hope 2001,

I know you meant this for Kristina, but since she deferred Frangi to me, I'll try to help. I've lived in the Westport/Plaza/KU med area, as well as Northeast (around UHS), and I can tell you that Armour Blvd might be a "bit" rougher, depending on how far east it is. Close to Troost - not very good. Close to Broadway, a lot better. It's out of the Westport area so it's considerably cheaper. I have known single women who have lived on Armour without incident, but it is every bit as "rough" and "colorful" as the area right around UHS the closer you get to Troost.

The best person to talk to regarding security issues in the Central Patrol Division which covers UHS, Midtown and Westport/Plaza, call Sgt. Soligo at 816-759-6378. She is the Crimes Prevention and Crimes Analyst officer. For a long-winded (and thorough) report on security issues directly surrounding UHS, hop over to "Just Took UHS Tour."

Good Luck,

Mompremed
 
Frangi,

Per Kristina's request, the only thing I know of that is available in this area - that I can personally vouch for - is the 4-BR, 3BA flat below me. The upstairs 2BR that I'm living in will be available too, but I don't know if it will be in time for students to move in. This is a great location and close to the school, about 3 blocks from where Drewdo is moving. Batory is also looking in the area, as Kristina said. The 4BR is beautiful and very spacious, and would be about $400/month if you could find enough roommates. Let me know by email if you want the landlord's number.

There are plenty of other good spots as well. I'm told there are studios and 1BR lofts in the River Market close by and also some beautiful townhomes downtown. Holly and Electra found a great spot about 6 blocks from the school. Email Batory, as he was just here and has a back-up plan, I think Walnut towers?

This is all assuming you want close to school, can't remember about that, but for other areas I think there are some apartment guide places you can call. Also Pitch Weekly has online housing rental listings at:

Pitch Weekly Classified

Good luck,

Mompremed
 
ChowPuppy..welcome!

Personally, I would not live in the Wesport area because of the higher incidence of crime. If you are comfortable living in urban areas, the Northeast may be an option. It is close to school and resonably safe. The Plaza area is nice, but more expensive. Check out either UHS housing or Just Took UHS tour for more information.

Good luck!
 
I live north of the river about 10 minutes from the school. We have lived here for 3 years and love it. The rent is very reasonable and we've had no problems with any sort of crime up here. It's a straight shot to school down I-29. There is a large mall and almost any resteraunt that you can think of!!! If I can help anyone let me know by email . [email protected]
 
I agree with JT. I lived north of the River and for 3 years. It was a very reasonably priced and comfortable place to live.

Kristina
 
Hey All,

I got my house just up the street from Drewdo! Closing is July 27th, and I plan to be moved by August 1st. That means my 2BR Flat will be available. It's < 5 minutes from UHS in a beautiful neighborhood. Kristy (Kristina!) can tell you how nice it is! It rents for $700/month, has hardwood floors; very spacious, with c/a, washer/dryer in basement. Cats o.k., no dogs.

If you're interested, call Sarina Hodges at (816) 231-4222. She's the landlord and she's really, really nice. She's also a realtor if you're looking to buy.

It sure will feel good to be a homeowner again! 😀

Cheers,

Mompremed
 
Hey guys,

Just trying to bump this back up to the head of the line!

Mompremed, I think I want your place! I talked to Sarina and it looks pretty good, but I have a few questions...so please call me or email!

See you all later!

[email protected]
910-797-6138
 
Hey guys,
How is everyone doing? Are you guys ready for UHS? I am really excited while quite nervous at the same time. I look forward to meeting you all. By the way, how is everyone moving to KC? My sisters and I are trekking the 1800 miles from Cali to MO. Well, that's all for now.

Calvin
 
Hey all, Well I just got back from KC. My wife and I were able to find a place on Barry Road (Lakeside Village townhomes), not the closest to campus, but a nice, suburban setting with a great school district for the kids.
OK guys, I'm from Olympia, WA......where it averages 85 degrees in the summer.......how do you cope with the heat & humidity??? Man, I thought I was going to melt (114 degrees with the heat index!!).
Either way, I'm so stoked about starting school, but is anyone else starting to get butterflies yet??

See you all soon 🙂

Troy
 
Hey all-

I'll be livin right in front of Worlds of Fun (Parvin Rd. exit), which is about 10 minutes away from school at the Bennington Ridge apts. Today is my last day at work. All the docs I work for are telling me to get a Rx for Rogaine, take a before and after photo, get the name of a good facial plastic surgeon for all the wrinkles I'll develop, and, oh yeah, have the time of my life in school! Tostra- I'm with you- getting pumped up for school, but starting develop a little anxiety. I guess the biggest thing is the mere fact that we're going to have to adjust to all the studying and everything so quickly. An internist who went to UHS told me that med school is impossible, but somehow you make it thru it. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but, at least I was hearing the truth. Oh well, we'll all survive! See you all up there!

-Nathan Box
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, fellows of UHS'05! I have been reading the posts for couple months, and it is time to post my very first message.
I am getting excited about school and trying to enjoy last month of freedom. I am also going to live in Bennington Ridge with another classmate of ours. My home town is Lawrence, KS, about 30 min away from KC. So, look for me if you want to do something. I enjoy ballroom dances. If you are interested in swing, latin, or smooth dances, definitely find me. See you guys soon!

Sam
 
Hi everyone!

I have tons of butterflies in my tummy! Until a few weeks ago, I was realitively calm about the whole experience! Now, I am a bundle of nerves. I find running in the morning before the heat index reaches 114 helps! (a little!)Mostly I hope this adventure of ours, even with the hard work and studying, will be fun! The doctors I work with talk about the close relationships they had with their fellow classmates.

Tostra..the hottest weeks of summer are the last two in August! The only way I survive is inside an air conditioned home during the day! Mornings and evenings are nice and that is when is comfortable to be outside.
And, drinking plenty of liquids!

Kristina
 
Hey guys,

Has anyone heard anything about the possibility of leasing a computer during the school year? I want to lease (or rent) and I know we can get microscopes from the school, but how about computers?

Other than that, I am with you...this last month seems to be just flying by. I think it will slow down once I actually get to KC and can get settled in. Then we have a week or so of fun until the reckoning.

See you soon!
 
Batory - what exactly is the school requiring in the way of a computer and are they figuring this into your education expenses for financial aid?

Also, what do you need a microscope for!?!?!

Eric
UHS2004
 
batory and flipper...

the school will figure the cost of either computer purchase or upgrade into the budget, but you will have to provide the receipt to prove purchase or service.

emsil teresa harter in admissions, and she can probably mail a copy of the letter that Doug Dalzell sent out.

electra
 
I thought I'd just pick one of the nights I'm off for a get-together and hopefully a few of you will join me!

Pre-Orientation Get Together

Sunday July 22nd
54th Street Bar and Grill
at I-29 and Barry Rd
4:30pm

For directions....email [email protected]
 
Hey everyone,
I just wanted to drop you a line. I am class of 2004-so I have made it through that first year experience. All you guys will be fine-once you get the nervous energy out of your system. The first section is kind of a warm up anyway, to get you back into the swing of things. Good luck, enjoy the rest of your summer, and if you have any school questions let me know.
C'ya in a month.
MC
 
I have a question....... has anyone received their financial aid award letter yet?? I got all my stuff into the FA office in May and still have heard NADA. Just wondering if anyone else has heard. Especially since I just received a letter from UHS today regarding the payment of tuition. Also, we are getting assigned big siblings right?? Anyone know what role they play?

See you all during orientation........in less than a month.......WOW!!!! 😉
 
I received my financial aid award letter last week, a few days before the tuition letter. It seems I've been sending information to the financial aid office since Feb/March.

Have a safe trip!

Kristina
 
Hello...I just wanted to keep us close to the top!

MCNC....how was the first year? I'm reading some interesting information on the topic "Recent 1st year uhs students". I've talked to other first years who seem more positive! I'd expect the first year of any new program to have a few glitches, but according to "fist of rage" it was bad? Any thoughts?

I hope to see some of you Sunday 07/22/01! We are meeting at 54th St Bar and Grill, I-29 and Barry Road, 4:30pm

Kristina
(pre-orientation social coordinator until Batory arrives in KC) 😀
 
Hi everyone, hope you are all enjoying your last few weeks of summer! I will be moving up to KC in 2 weeks and I am both nervous and excited! I was contacted by my "big sister" last week, but evidently the school was supposed to send us info about our big siblings a while ago, and I know I never received it! So-if you haven't been contacted you might call the school and find out! Also, I have heard, and please correct me if I am wrong, that we don't need microscopes b/c we have that "slice of life" machine... ??? Anyone else heard this? If we do need microscopes, does anyone know who rents them?

See you all soon!!
Kavita
 
hey guys and gals,
I am also starting UHS and am getting ready to move this weekend. As for the financial aid thing, I just received my awarding letter but the school told me that most people will not receive the actual funds until the third week of school. I guess will see. Just curious, anybody listen to metal or punk(living sacrifice, darkest hour,shai hulud,etc.). Looking for people to go to shows with!
 
Hey Kavita,
just to let you know, you don't need a microscope. You will all become familiar with Slice of Life- it is a massive collection of pathology slides- gross and microscopic. There is also a histology program on all the computers, but you will want to use websites for that and path. Plus, periodically you have to sign out with ERF on a real microscope in his office. He has lots of good pictures on his webpage too. Hope this helps.
MCNC
 
Hey guys,

Just wanted to post that I am still looking for a roommate if anybody knows a UHS'er whose new home fell through...or is still looking. It is a 2bdrm flat about 10 blocks away from school. Kristina and mompremed are familiar with it if you have questions. Give me a call or email if you are interested.

Matt
910-797-6138
[email protected]
 
This is for Zao and all others entering UHS this year. Just to let you know, you financial aid checks do take a few weeks to come in, so if possible, make sure you have some cash to get by on before that. I know my check had some problems getting in, so I didn't have my aid until about 6 weeks in! So make sure you call the school NOW to make sure you're all set with the Financial Aid department. You'll be much happier in the future! Good luck and I'll see you all during orientation!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As a member of the Class of 2004, I wish your class the best of luck as you get ready to fire up with orientation.

I am looking forward to meeting a lot of you during the upcoming weeks. If I can be of any assistance to anyone, please let me know. I'll be as helpful as possible.

Email -- [email protected]
 
The Movers are here!!
Goin' to KC today! If any UHS'ers want to help me find some waterin' holes next week, give me a buzz!
 
I just arrived in KC and am in search of fellow 2005 UHS students to explore the town with. If anyone is interested drop me a line. 🙂
 
Hello to all my fellow 2005 classmates. Looking forward to seeing all of you on Monday...however, I have misplaced the last orientation mailing from student services and was wondering if there is anything important I need to know about dress code, program, etc. for Monday...so please help...

Is anyone going to Worlds of Fun tomorrow???
 
About the program and the days plan, I really can't remember the details, although it did recommend "professional dress" for pictures and meeting faculty. At first I thought we would be stuck wearing a suit for the first two long days. But I called Admissions yesterday; For men slacks and ties to start. She said we could scrap the tie later in the day if we wanted. Not really sure for women. I would assume a nice dress or slacks.

Hopes this helps!
 
Originally posted by UHS_Bound:
•About the program and the days plan, I really can't remember the details, although it did recommend "professional dress" for pictures and meeting faculty. At first I thought we would be stuck wearing a suit for the first two long days. But I called Admissions yesterday; For men slacks and ties to start. She said we could scrap the tie later in the day if we wanted. Not really sure for women. I would assume a nice dress or slacks.

Hopes this helps!•

Thanks UHS_Bound...see ya Monday...
 
Dear UHS newbies
Good luck. Remember this is a job so take it seriously. You need to study at a minimum 3 hrs/night and your first priorities are the teachers notes/handouts. At first you will be overwhelmed but the numbing effects start their toll early.

My advice
[1] Join notepool and read the notes!
[2] Buy a board review book now and USE IT everyday to get an idea of what the "high yield info is". Good examples include First AID for the USMLE, High Yield Series, and BRS
[3] Know your anatomy spend extra time in the lab, Karen will be your best friend
[4]Get a schedule from Smith Hall and Use it
Green forms hanging by front desk, need help see Don Weaver he is your best weapon against stress
[5] Get in a study group 1x/wk to quiz.
For anatomy that would be getting 4 tanks together and pinning structures and quizing your buddies. Our class actually did a mini practical test to help you with Anatomy.. In the practicu, exam they use a buzzer and you have 1 min to ID structure (nn, mm,aa etc regardless of POSITION the limb is in! pretty tricky)
Feel free to email
[email protected]
UHS MS3
Class 2003
Diane
😱