Can foreign med graduates practice in India

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mik20317

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a bit curious. If you are an NRI and have been graduated in a foreign country like UK or USA . Can you practice in India? HOw can you get registration from medical council of India in order to be able to practice in India. Does anyone know about this????

Members don't see this ad.

mik20317 said:
I am a bit curious. If you are an NRI and have been graduated in a foreign country like UK or USA . Can you practice in India? HOw can you get registration from medical council of India in order to be able to practice in India. Does anyone know about this????

check out the list of recognized foreign medical qualifications at www.mciindia.org

mik20317 said:

So there are two ways of looking at this. Legally, I do not think you can get on the register unless you have your qualifications recognized by the MCI (I think there is a test or you have to petition, ie bribe them). That having been said, there are plenty of charity docs from abroad who come to India and just set up camp in a village. They certainly don't have legal authorization to treat patients, but no one says anything. If you want to stay for good, then you should probably try to get your qualifications recognized.

Members don't see this ad :)
retroviridae said:
..unless you have your qualifications recognized by the MCI (I think there is a test)..
:laugh: IndianMLEs!!!!! :laugh: HOT DAMN!!!
Sweat and Burn, applicants, Sweat and Burn... :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

Are they five Steps long, paper-based exams, which test your aptitude to memorize minutiae, with an ethics section that deals with handling Red-Tape?? Would be so AWESOME!!! :D

I heard that US MD degree is recognised in India and all you have to do is to register with the medical council. Anyone has a clear picture on this?

msjk said:

(4A) A person who is a citizen of India and obtains medical qualification granted by any medical institution in any country outside India recognised for enrolment as medical practitioner in that country after such date as may be specified by the Central Government under sub-section (3), shall not be entitled to be enrolled on any Medical Register maintained by a State Medical Council or to have his name entered in the Indian Medical Register unless he qualified the screening test in India prescribed for such purpose and such foreign medical qualification after such person qualifies that said screening test shall be deemed to be the recognised medical qualification for the purposes of this Act for that person.

I think this applies for students who have done MBBS abroad. The what about students who finished MBBS in India and have done MD postgraduation in US?

:eek:
msjk said:
my dear friend there is a test for india called MCI SCREENING TEST (not indian MLEs)conducted by national board of examination, new delhi.
two times everyyear in may and sep at new delhi.
it is mcq and paper based (true-my friend) and there is no more than 2 QS from ethics but i think they should increase the ethics qs coz the grads ( like the sherlock holmes, here!!!!! :D ) are truly lacking in it.
imagine quoting holmes and lacking ethics.
if only i had a harpoon right here ;)

exams are conducted by the national board of exams (that same body which conducts DNB exams). Exams held every march(not may) and sept. forms usually available in dec for the march exam and in june for the sept exams. www.natboard.nic.in is national board's website. one can download the form. Application form costs 500 rupees and the exam fees are 3000 rupees to be paid only through a demand draft in favour of National Board of Examinations payable at New Delhi, India. After passing the exams you have to apply to the MCI for provisional registration and then apply to different recognised teaching and nonteaching hospitals and undergo a 1 year rotating compulsory internship. After completing it one gets a permanent registration to practice medicine in India. Thats the rule.
Exam is in 2 sessions held over one day. both the sessions have 150 mcqs each with only one correct answer. no negative marking. Exam is a qualifying one. u dont get a markstatement or marksheet. u have to answer atleast 150 questions correctly to pass. if u do so u will get a certificate from the national board certifying that you passed.
for other details check the MCI and Natboard websites

How a Bangladeshi doctor can get registration in India for practice?