Unusual fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toxic-megacolon

Toxic Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard of people sometimes doing an interventional vascular radiology fellowship during there general surgery residency (usually during their research year, usually with an ultimate goal of becoming a vascular surgeon. Then there are those people who do a CC fellowship in the middle of the GS residency.

Are there any other unusual fellowship paths that you've heard of people taking?

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen places where the critical care fellowship is used as a one year remediation for GS residents who aren't clinically up to speed. Seems bass-akwards, eh?

I know a guy who did a year of thoracic oncology as his "research year" between third and fourth years.

FYI Critical care fellowships can be done as early as after the 3rd yr of general surgery residency (seems fitting since that all the residency that IM people have before they start their version). Now you can even take the certificate exam after you finish instead of having to wait until you get your general surgery board certification done first which is nice. I'm not sure that I've ever encountered a place that used it as a remediation, but certainly I won't dispute that you may have.

A number of basic science research "fellowships" are out there obviously in almost any field you can think of. Most of these are funded via T32 grants at various places. Obviously the NIH is another option for this with the NCI having their own surgical oncology fellowship (non-SSO) that takes people after finishing at least 2 years. It includes both some clinical care and research time.

Another option is the Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program for those interested in health services/outcomes research. It is designed for people who have finished their residency but they will accept surgical residents in the middle of their training.

Other things that I have heard of that take people in the middle of their training that are open to people from other programs.

There are a few Extracorporeal Life Support (ECMO/ECLS) Fellowships around which are often in conjunction with a critical care fellowship. I know Wake Forest advertised an opening for their this last year. I heard that Brigham has a "junior CT" fellowship for a PGY2 level ICU care experience focused on cardiac surgery. I believe both BU and Stanford have surgical "innovation" fellowships.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whats the "surgical innovation" fellowhip?

Very interesting thread...also curious as to what a surgical innovation fellowship is..
Other questions I have...when you say interventional endovascular radiology fellowship, would this deal with vascular neuro issues as well or is interventional endovascular neuroradiology a separate fellowship? It would be very cool to be a general/vascular surgeon and coil aneurysms at the same time..

miler said:
Other questions I have...when you say interventional endovascular radiology fellowship, would this deal with vascular neuro issues as well or is interventional endovascular neuroradiology a separate fellowship? It would be very cool to be a general/vascular surgeon and coil aneurysms at the same time..

I don't beleive the fellowship included neurovascular.

Here's an interesting one...

March 2006--Pediatric Surgery Robotic Research Fellowship
Available July 1, 2006 - Fully Funded
Department of Pediatric Surgery Arkansas Children's Hospital

Fully funded position for a PGY-3 or greater general surgery resident, or recent graduate of General Surgery, or Pediatric Surgery residency to spend l-2 years working on robotic applications for pediatric surgery using the da Vinci Surgical System. The primary purpose of this fellowship is to offer surgical trainees interested in a pediatric surgery career the chance to advance the role and application of robotic surgery in pediatric patients.

The Pediatric Surgery Robotic Program is based at Arkansas Children's Hospital which is one of the ten largest children's hospitals in the country. It was the first freestanding children's hospital to offer a da Vinci system for exclusive use by general pediatric surgeons. We have recently completed over 100 cases including repair of imperforate anus, endorectal pull-through, and aortopexy.

Successful applicants for this position can expect to develop significant expertise in pediatric robotic and laparoscopic procedures.

The applicants will also complete multiple projects leading to presentation and publication in basic and clinical research. The applicant will be expected to assist in covering the clinical Pediatric Surgical Service on an approximately 4th night basis.

For more information, or application, please contact:

Samuel D. Smith, M.D.

Chief of Pediatric Surgery

Arkansas Children's Hospital

800 Marshall Street, Slot 837

Little Rock, Arkansas 72202-3591

(501) 364-2942 or (501) 364-2943

[email protected]

Sorry, I cant quite read that post. Maybe you could enlarge the font?

Very interesting fellowship.
Also, just for the sake of random curiousity, has anyone ever heard of someone in surg doing a medical fellowship of some type? I don't really know why or how anyone would do this, just curious..

miler said:
Very interesting fellowship.
Also, just for the sake of random curiousity, has anyone ever heard of someone in surg doing a medical fellowship of some type? I don't really know why or how anyone would do this, just curious..

Hi there,
Almost every medical fellowship requires completion of an Internal Medicine residency just as most surgical fellowships require completion of a General Surgery residency.

Some things like colonoscopy (done by GI and surgery) and endovascular procedures (done by IR and vascular surgery) do overlap but I am not sure that a fellowship like Pulmonary, GI, Cardiology etc. would be open to someone who had not completed an Internal Medicine residency.

njbmd :)

surg said:
There are a few Extracorporeal Life Support (ECMO/ECLS) Fellowships around which are often in conjunction with a critical care fellowship. I know Wake Forest advertised an opening for their this last year. .

umich has an ecmo fellowship. we have *the* ecmo guy here (bartlett.) i think you have to be finished with your ho-3 year to apply. two of my senior residents this year were former ecmo fellows, doing it, i believe in lieu of umich's 2 year research requirement. i could be wrong on that last part, though.

miler said:
Very interesting thread...also curious as to what a surgical innovation fellowship is..

It would be cool until there was a complication the you could not handle. Neurosurgeons should be the only people coiling aneurysms. If you were a patient and had an aneurysm who would you seek out? I hope a Neurosurgeon. When the Vascular/Interventional Radiologist has a problem they crap themselves and beg Neuorsugery to bail them out. Many times it is too late. And with the way procedures are becoming so specialized, you are not going to find a Neurosurgeon that is willing to be available to clean up a mess.

But cardiologists sometimes get into trouble...then the CT surgeons have to bail them out.

There are a few Extracorporeal Life Support (ECMO/ECLS) Fellowships around which are often in conjunction with a critical care fellowship. I know Wake Forest advertised an opening for their this last year. QUOTE]

Actually they still have an opening now if anyone is interested and able.