Sub-30 MCATers, unite!

Started by Ms MD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ms MD

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all, just wondering about success (or agony) stories & advice from others who got <30 on the MCAT

:barf: MCAT
 
Let me say that I feel most of you who got sub-30. I had to retake MCATs also; this April got a 31... but best combined was 35.

Applied to 34 schools this past cycle, 12 interviews, 4 acceptances, 1 full-tuition scholarship.

I wish the best to all of you guys... My story is a testament that sub-30 can be done!
 
I got into an out of state school with a 28N. I'm really surprised everytime I think of it. My odds were horrible, but I had a FANTASTIC interview at that school and I guess that made all the difference. (And I had a few things going on in my life that may have drug down my MCAT indicating a 28N wasn't exactly a representative score for me) I also came from a slightly "disadvantaged" background but didn't mark the disadvantaged box on my application.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here is the unusual one - I got to my first choice school with 25! I guess they read my personal statement that was very good 🙂


Ms MD said:
Hey all, just wondering about success (or agony) stories & advice from others who got <30 on the MCAT

:barf: MCAT
 
I had a great experience with a sub-30 MCAT. With a 29, I was accepted to 4 out of state schools. My recommendation, I showed the ADCOM my passion for medicine. I spent a lot of time on my personal statement, I met with each person that wrote my recommendations and explained how medicine is my true life's calling. Over the fall, I shadowed a doctor internationally, undertook research with her, and sent updates to each medical school. Lastly, I role played each interview with my fiancee until I was able to best explain why each individual school would be the right fit for me and how I would enhance the student body.

I was accepted everywhere I interviewed, and I am still waiting for my in-state school, which would be five acceptances. I also had fun through the process! Shared drinks with the professors that recommended me, asked my closest friends (I am lucky to have some great writers as friends) to rip apart my essay, and always went early and stayed late at the interviews stopping students and asking how they felt about the school. Not only did I learn so much this way about each school, I had so many questions for the interviewer.

Good luck to everyone! Trust me you can do great in this process with an under 30 MCAT. pm me if anyone wants more advice.
 
I have a 29 MCAT as well. I was accepted to a top 50 school, one of the most selective schools in the nation, straight without waitlist. I am also not an URM and a traditional applicant. So there is hope!
 
I just want to say a few things.......

The MCAT score is only one factor. A lot of people, and I mean A LOT get in with a 27-30 range in their state schools and some lower tier schools. Some even into higher schools if the application is exceptional.

There are other factors to take into consideration such as the amount of meaningful clinical work you've done, the types of extracurriculars you've done, how much you stand out as a person via your activities and your personality, your GPA, your personal statement, your Letters of Recommendation etc.

So just because SDN has a lot of the top applicants out here, don't assume that they are the only ones getting the acceptances.

I've had several friends get into our state schools in Florida with a 27-28 range. I also know some people who got into med school with a 26 but they were high tier waitlist and interviewed at the end of the cycle, then got lucky and got off the waitlist to get accepted.

Just keep these things in mind and talk with the admissions committees at schools you are interested in, (i.e. admissions directors or deans) and you should be ok.
 
Stop scarin' the kids - it sounds like everyone's saying "don't worry if you're sub-30, you can still make it to your state school..." That's pretty harsh. I have several non-SDN, non-URM friends who got 29s and also got into great schools (emory, washU, etc.).
 
I took the MCAT twice. I got 25 and 29. I had 4 interviews, 1 acceptance (Penn State) and 3 waitlists (all SUNY schools).
 
geekOCD said:
Stop scarin' the kids - it sounds like everyone's saying "don't worry if you're sub-30, you can still make it to your state school..." That's pretty harsh. I have several non-SDN, non-URM friends who got 29s and also got into great schools (emory, washU, etc.).

I don't think any of us are saying that... you should read this thread more carefully. We are all saying that you don't need 30+ to get into great schools
 
ShyRem said:
Talk to gdbaby - really great success with a sub-30. No, she's definitely not URM. She does have an absolutely stellar personality. 😀
Oh, go on...I'm blushing!

First MCAT (April 2005) - 24. I though I was readng the sample score when I first looked at it. I took Kaplan and everything!

Second MCAT (August) - 28. Felt alot better especially getting the 10 in bio. But gujudoc is right (as always!) the MCAT isn't everything.

I applied to 15 schools, received 5 interviews, went to 4 interviews and was accepted to all four schools. That should prove that the MCAT isn't everything. But here are just a few suggestions:

--apply to schools that are known to look at the whole package (Creighton, Iowa, Rush and Loyola were my main schools in this regard). You will also have a very nice time interviewing at these schools since they seem to be more in the business of recruitment.

--apply to schools where you think others may not want to go--not because they are bad schools, but because of location or some other factor (Creighton and iowa for me--people here Iowa City and run away. I went to undergrad there so I know better! It is a great town!)

--make the rest of your app shine. Prove to them that the MCAT should be the last thing they consider when deciding on you.

--Probably most important, relax and be yourself in your interviews. Be prepared. I probably spent more time than others for each of my interviews, but i wanted to make sure that when they asked me "Why X medical school?" I could give them very specific reasons--pointing out particular programs by name, etc.

Hope this helps. Sure, people with higher MCAT scores have an advantage, but it really isn't everything. If you do a search on this forum you will find many posts from people with much better stats than I who are struggling on waitlists.

GOOD LUCK!! This whole process stinks, it stinks really bad. I am glad it's over.
 
gdbaby said:
Oh, go on...I'm blushing!
hi lady. i miss you... and all our other application buddies.
 
i happily join this club. i got a 29 (an uneven 29!), and i'll probably be attending Rosalind Franklin. I'm still on waitlists at GW and VCU, but i couldn't be more excited about RFU. also, non-URM here. i am a non-trad though, with lots to talk about in interviews about my previous life. yey sub-30s!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1st take 27Q, 2nd take 28P, lots of clinical experience as a hospital unit clerk, research experience, internship at the Field Museum, GPA overall 3.74, BCPM GPA 3.65, also worked part-time and full-time at financial institutions, personal background includes immigration to the US as an adult, mother MD in our home country working as an RN here to send myself and my sisters to American universities, lost my boyfriend in an accident last year, but still studied for and took the MCAT 3 months later. it's been tough, but I'm glad I finally have something to be happy about again. Got into my state school.
 
ShyRem said:
Talk to gdbaby - really great success with a sub-30. No, she's definitely not URM. She does have an absolutely stellar personality. 😀
Actually, I believe she is a URM, native american if I remember correctly. But she's proof that a URM can earn their spot based on merit alone. 👍
 
A fact that one should not ignore here is that an EVEN score is more important than breaking a 30. For example, the 1st time I took mcat I got an 11, 12 but a 6V. I was told by everyone including my premed advisor that a 6V will significantly hurt my chances at most places, and they were absolutely right. I decided to take it again and got it up to a 10 and later got into medschool. A 9,9,9 is considered a good score by many medschools just because its even despite the fact that it didn't break a 30. Just something to keep in mind.
 
My cousin got in with a 20 MCAT. Enough said. (She had a 4.0 BCPM/GPA)

She is now in her last year of a OB/GYN residency.
 
Chris127 said:
My cousin got in with a 20 MCAT. Enough said. (She had a 4.0 BCPM/GPA)

She is now in her last year of a OB/GYN residency.


MD or DO???

And was she at med school in America or the Carribbean??
 
29 MCAT (What is worse is I got a 29 twice!!)
state undergrad
non-URM
secondaries to 10 schools
6 interviews
4 acceptances (all top 30)
2 waitlist (Mayo and Harvard, which given the above info makes me a very happy person)
it can be done!!!

The few things I think I did right were

1. got my applications in really early
2. Had some interesting experiences in a broad range of medical and non-medical areas
3. really worked on my essays to perfect them
 
When I was admitted to med school the average score of matriculants (to state and out of state schools) was 29 per the MSAR - which means you got plenty above that and plenty below! anybody know where it's at now?
 
Brickhouse said:
When I was admitted to med school the average score of matriculants (to state and out of state schools) was 29 per the MSAR - which means you got plenty above that and plenty below! anybody know where it's at now?


This thread definitely shows how important GPA is -

I have a 32P, adn the following gpas:

Ugrad: AO: 3.3, BCPM: 3.0
1 Year Grad, SMP: 3.06
This year, more postbacc stuff (2 graded courses so far, taking 2 now) : 4.0

and I only got 1 md interview this year (yet to hear back....)

and great letters and very good ec's...
 
jebus said:
hi lady. i miss you... and all our other application buddies.
Oh I so miss you too. I feel like I am in some sort of SDN limbo. Don't fit in in allo, don't fit in here. Where should we meet up?
 
Hey gdbaby- I just wanted to say CONGRATS on your getting to where you've wanted to be. I read your MDapplicant page, and I'm sure you and your family are very proud- you've come a long way! It's very heartening to hear such great people are going to be docs. Oh- and you have a really cute baby 🙂 . Now back to my MCAT book 🙁 .
 
Sondra said:
24M
3.84 BCPM

non-URM

accepted to state school.

Its tough to give the necessary optimism here while also keeping it real.

My First year that I applied, I had a 26Q (7in PS). 1 interview , 0 acc.

Second year 28Q (10, 9 9), 5 interviews, into first choice at Gtown, and now doing well in ms2.

Male non-urm

What did I do differently inbetween years ? absolutely nothing. It was all the low MCAT keeping me down.

27+ you are fine. If you dont get in with this score it is because you have other weak areas in combination with non-stellar mcat. With a good PS to get you the interview, interesting ECS, and then a solid interview with this score, you are doing just fine and will probably get in.

Under 27 you are in serious trouble even if you are great everywhere else. Thats why I quoted the above post. This is extreme and unreasonable to expect. I would guess this person is a female at a historically male dominated school, giving her some kind of URM-like advantage. I would be shocked to hear a male non-URM with a 24 getting in anywhere.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
28O first time; 29Q second time but uneven (8,9,12 the second time)

3.74 gpa

5 interviews

2 waitlists, 2 holds, 1 rej from those ints
 
Hoya11 said:
I would guess this person is a female at a historically male dominated school, giving her some kind of URM-like advantage. I would be shocked to hear a male non-URM with a 24 getting in anywhere.

actually, Sondra applied with disadvantaged status. this is similar to URM. you should read her blogspot. being a female is not an "URM-like advantage." nice try, though.
 
I am glad there are some "normal" people in these forums! I was feeling a bit blown away from all the 32-38's on practice exams and the like!

I will be taking the MCAT in two weeks, thus far I have taken 4 Kaplan practice exams and my average sticks around 26 (8,9,9 and 8,11,7). I want to pull a 10,10,10 or 9,11,10. It seems feasible...only a few questions here and there.

I give major props to everyone who has struggled through this and simply tried their best, regardless of score. 😍

30 or below is NOT the end of the world and there ARE plenty of excellent Doctors and Med. students to show for it.

We are meant to be good physicians NOT atomic physicists (who probably couldn't pass the MCAT). :laugh:

Good luck to everyone!
 
Hoya11 said:
Thats why I quoted the above post. This is extreme and unreasonable to expect. I would guess this person is a female at a historically male dominated school, giving her some kind of URM-like advantage. I would be shocked to hear a male non-URM with a 24 getting in anywhere.

I was accepted to the University of Mississippi. The class is split nearly 50/50 male/female. Mississippi is extremely friendly to in-state applicants.

I agree that someone with my stats does not have a very high chance of acceptance.
 
nibrocli said:
actually, Sondra applied with disadvantaged status. this is similar to URM. you should read her blogspot. being a female is not an "URM-like advantage." nice try, though.

I did apply disadvantaged status. I come from a very poor family in the Mississippi Delta (3 people living on about $10-12K/year). I had to start working at 15 and never worked less than 30 hours per week all the way through college. I talked about this a lot in my interviews.
 
I got a 28S on the MCAT and got into my first choice school (University of Arizona, hurrah!) the first application cycle. I had interviews at Albert Einstein and Mayo, as well. So a 28S can be overcome! I have a really stellar GPA and some different EC's (i'm a writer) so I'm sure that's what helped. But still, I was told by my counselors to not apply and try again.
I only applied to nine schools too. which was crazy, and not recommended
 
:scared: I wish I was as lucky as you guys:
31 MCAT, 3.73 GPA, biochem major. Applied 30+ schools. Went to 5/6 interviews. No acceptances or waitlists. I think it matters what state you came from. Here in NY it is very competative.
 
yanky5 said:
:scared: I wish I was as lucky as you guys:
31 MCAT, 3.73 GPA, biochem major. Applied 30+ schools. Went to 5/6 interviews. No acceptances or waitlists. I think it matters what state you came from. Here in NY it is very competative.

it definitely matters what state you're from. how are you feeling about going DO? i almost did, and would've been happy to do so.
 
28 R, then 29 Q.

I got lazy cuz I had an acceptance through a BS/MD program. I applied elsewhere, but didnt get in since I sent in my AMCAS in October.
 
I got a 28S on the MCAT and got into my first choice school (University of Arizona, hurrah!) the first application cycle. I had interviews at Albert Einstein and Mayo, as well. So a 28S can be overcome! I have a really stellar GPA and some different EC's (i'm a writer) so I'm sure that's what helped. But still, I was told by my counselors to not apply and try again.
I only applied to nine schools too. which was crazy, and not recommended
 
yanky5 said:
:scared: I wish I was as lucky as you guys:
31 MCAT, 3.73 GPA, biochem major. Applied 30+ schools. Went to 5/6 interviews. No acceptances or waitlists. I think it matters what state you came from. Here in NY it is very competative.

Five straight rejections from 5 interviews? Did they all not go well? Something's gotta give.

Sorry to hear that, but hey, you're in med school now. 👍
 
omgwtfbbq? said:
I got a 28S on the MCAT and got into my first choice school (University of Arizona, hurrah!) the first application cycle. I had interviews at Albert Einstein and Mayo, as well. So a 28S can be overcome! I have a really stellar GPA and some different EC's (i'm a writer) so I'm sure that's what helped. But still, I was told by my counselors to not apply and try again.
I only applied to nine schools too. which was crazy, and not recommended

Wow, props to you 👍 👍 👍
 
nibrocli said:
actually, Sondra applied with disadvantaged status. this is similar to URM. you should read her blogspot. being a female is not an "URM-like advantage." nice try, though.

"Nice try though" haha what a jerk.

I guess it was the "non-URM" in her post that lead me to believe she was non-URM.

URM, Disadvantaged, Female in a mostly male school, whatever... you have it easier.. and those scores below 27 on this thread are most likely these cases.
 
hey guys, thanks for all the info and support.
Congrats on everyone who is doing well, and best of luck to those of us who are waiting. :luck:
It seems that the MCAT is important, but if you have a good GPA, LOR, application, you don't need a stellar score to get accepted.

I got an even 27Q last august, sent my AMCAS out in October, & found out later on that my LOR got out late -- Late January.
Rough application process ... I've had only 1 (out of 17) interview at a state school in an undesired area and now I'm waitlisted.
I'll have to study this summer to re-take the MCATs in case I don't get off the wait list.
I'm even considering withdrawing at that 1 school altogether to hopefully get a better score and apply to an even more competitive school --> Do you guys think this is silly? Or should I go if I get accepted to the state school? My GPA is avg, and I'm coming from a good private school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ms MD said:
hey guys, thanks for all the info and support.
Congrats on everyone who is doing well, and best of luck to those of us who are waiting. :luck:
It seems that the MCAT is important, but if you have a good GPA, LOR, application, you don't need a stellar score to get accepted.

I got an even 27Q last august, sent my AMCAS out in October, & found out later on that my LOR got out late -- Late January.
Rough application process ... I've had only 1 (out of 17) interview at a state school in an undesired area and now I'm waitlisted.
I'll have to study this summer to re-take the MCATs in case I don't get off the wait list.
I'm even considering withdrawing at that 1 school altogether to hopefully get a better score and apply to an even more competitive school --> Do you guys think this is silly? Or should I go if I get accepted to the state school? My GPA is avg, and I'm coming from a good private school.

If you get accepted, I'd go cuz you might not want to waste a year. But if you really don't like that school, then I'd wait it out.
 
Ms MD said:
hey guys, thanks for all the info and support.
Congrats on everyone who is doing well, and best of luck to those of us who are waiting. :luck:
It seems that the MCAT is important, but if you have a good GPA, LOR, application, you don't need a stellar score to get accepted.

I got an even 27Q last august, sent my AMCAS out in October, & found out later on that my LOR got out late -- Late January.
Rough application process ... I've had only 1 (out of 17) interview at a state school in an undesired area and now I'm waitlisted.
I'll have to study this summer to re-take the MCATs in case I don't get off the wait list.
I'm even considering withdrawing at that 1 school altogether to hopefully get a better score and apply to an even more competitive school --> Do you guys think this is silly? Or should I go if I get accepted to the state school? My GPA is avg, and I'm coming from a good private school.

I would only withdraw for strong personal/family reasons. NOTHING ELSE. you can't really predict how you'll like it until you actually go to the school. To go through MCAT/applications again when you don't have to seems crazy.
 
PS: 8, VR: 8, BS: 11, 3.78 GPA. Sent in my AMCAS in October. Two interviews and accepted at first choice in-state school.
 
28 here - crappy GPA (BCPM was like 3.2 ish, all others 3.4ish) non-URM with an acceptance... it can be done.
 
28M: 17 secondaries, 12 interview invitations, 9 interviews attended, 4 acceptances (a couple scholarships), 3 waitlists, 2 post-interview rejections

i think the main reasons for my success are that my GPA was fine...i've done lots and lots of different things fairly in depth...had great LORs from prominent peeps...worked really hard on all my writing, even the little AMCAS activity descriptions...applied very early and turned in secondaries within 1 week of receiving them...had good GRE scores on my app too.

you can check out my mdapplicants profile below for details 🙂

just remember, those median MCAT scores for schools mean that half of accepted students had below that...and most top schools have medians in the low- to mid-30s. definitely assess your application in its entirety and don't let the MCAT score itself dictate where you apply.