MCAT formulas to memorize

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheAbbot7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a list anywhere of what physics and chem formulas you should memorize for the exam? I know not all of them are tested. Also I wish someone had a printout of all the reactions for orgo that we need to memorize. If this exists anywhere please let me know. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
if you are in the TPR course, the texts have a formula sheet for physics, g-chem, and the most useful reactions for o-chem.

there is also a glossary for each subject.

Members don't see this ad :)
The mirror and lens formulas are missing 1/f=1/O + 1/I

Its good to be able to manipulate this one quickly so you arent stuck doing math.

f = 1/(1/O + 1/I)

1/1/f = O + I.

And remember two lens systems too, M = m1m2, P = p1 + p2. Power is summed, magnification is multiplied to get the total magnification.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Lakers and everyone else!
I was planning on making something like this for my own use but now I saved an extra hour I could use for surfing SDN! :):thumbup::thumbup:

Although there are only about twenty or so physical science formulas that every person should know going in because there will be three or four quantitative problems you cannot solve on the MCAT without having them in memory, there is a group several times bigger which everyone should know and remember because they are the most compact conceptual expressions for the relationships governing the physical systems. In my opinion here they are.

100250_00101_68.jpg

100450_00201_68.jpg

101150_01002_68.jpg

101950_01802_68.jpg

102728_02701_68.jpg

104450_04601_68.jpg

104500_04602_68.jpg

104700_05301_68.jpg

104950_05901_68.jpg

105500_06501_68.jpg

139450_36201_68.jpg

140600_36904_68.jpg

140650_36905_68.jpg

142950_37901_68.jpg

You should understand what Maxwell's Four Wonderful Equations are saying in the sense of unifying electromagnetic induction and EM radiation, though you will never see a calculus problem on the MCAT.

144400_38701_68.jpg

144450_38702_68.jpg

144500_38703_68.jpg

144550_38704_68.jpg

If you look you will see how a changing electric field must produce a changing magnetic field which then must lead to a changing electric field - ie wave propagation. It's idiosynchratic of me to include these.
149700_40902_68.jpg

152150_41401_68.jpg

152050_41302_68.jpg

154130_42301_68.jpg

154135_42302_68.jpg

159800_43802_68.jpg

176300_49203_68.jpg

176500_49401_68.jpg

For General Chemistry, which we will leave for another day, there aren't as many, but I would say include Planck's formula, a recognition of the Bohr equation, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, the basic equations of stoichiometry, such as the definition of a mole, Thermochemistry like enthalpy change, heats of fusion, etc, and the main equations of Chemical Thermodynamics especially Gibbs Free Energy, equilibrium constants and the relationship between equilibrium constant and free energy change. In chemical kinetics you need to understand the rate equation and the equation relating rate constant and temperature. For solution chemistry, you need the concentration expressions, colligative properties such as Rault's Law and boiling point elevation. For acid - base you need the formula for pH, the acid-base equilibrium constant, and the Henderson - Hasselbach equation. For redox and electrochemistry, the Nernst equation.

I'm a bit confused when it comes to this list. Is this really all we have to memorize? We don't need to know the other translational equations, such as v^2=vo^2 + 2adeltax? Or is that usually given in the Physics passage?

EDIT: And is there a Chemistry equivalent?
Can someone answer this?

I'm a bit confused when it comes to this list. Is this really all we have to memorize? We don't need to know the other translational equations, such as v^2=vo^2 + 2adeltax? Or is that usually given in the Physics passage?

EDIT: And is there a Chemistry equivalent?

They may not give that equation in the passage simply because if you know the other 2 translational motion equations then you are able to solve any problem that requires the 3rd equation that you refer to above. In other words, it is not necessary to memorize all 3.

http://www.educationalelectronicsusa.com/p/equations_motion-II.htm

PS Sorry for the delay!

what is RN=pvd/n
COP = Qh/W
E=Th-Tc / Th?
and the M in M=IA and is used in the torque formula u put?

Hopefully this will help....found it on another forumla site...

Heat Engine:
W = Qh – Qc
e = W / Qh= 1– Qc / Qh ≤ emax = 1– Tc / Th
Carnot's Engine:
Qc / Qh = Tc / Th
Refrigerator or Heat Pump:
W = Qh – Qc = Qh (1– Qc / Qh)
Ideal Heat pump:
Qc / Qh = Tc / Th
COP = Qc / W or COP=Qh / W

Best for Free Content Review: http://www.wikipremed.com/
Best for Free Study Guide: http://mcat-review.org/
Best for Free MCAT Questions and Passages: http://www.freemcatprep.com

Last edited:
what is RN=pvd/n
COP = Qh/W
E=Th-Tc / Th?
and the M in M=IA and is used in the torque formula u put?

M is magnetic moment. MCAT gets a little sweet tooth for current loop in magnetic field problems, so it's good to have in hand. Those equations are also the classical physics analog for what's going on with nuclear spin in NMR. Formulas from this part of physics are not in the memorize for plug-and-chug category, but good to have in hand to judge the kinds of variations underlying the multiple choice answers the MCAT gives in these types of questions, along with Faraday's and Lenz's Laws.

Holy crap apples.

Some of you guys are really walking around with those pictured equations all memorized cold?

Wow. Overkill much?

Holy crap apples.

Some of you guys are really walking around with those pictured equations all memorized cold?

Wow. Overkill much?
If you studied and practiced, then those equations are like multiplying and dividing...extra physics classes would just solidify that... it's not memorizing.

I like the Big Five Kinematic Equations, KE=1/2mv^2, PE=mgh, V=IR, and P=IV.

Everything else can be manipulated as long as you know the units. Know units!

Yes, I would suggest knowing units inside and out.

Know the equations.
Know the units for each variable, and the final product. Know why the equations exist as they do.
Success.

Does anyone know if there is a list anywhere of what physics and chem formulas you should memorize for the exam? I know not all of them are tested. Also I wish someone had a printout of all the reactions for orgo that we need to memorize. If this exists anywhere please let me know. Thanks!

If you look at the Organic section on wikipremed they have images and a brief explanation of each of the rxn mechanisms. I've printed them all out.

There is also another formula sheet I found posted here:

http://www.freemcatprep.com/2010/01/mcat-formula-sheet.html

I liked it because when I was reviewing, it was already sectioned into the various formula categories....made it a bit easier to find them fast and to memorize them in useful "groups"

Is there a way to print these out a little bigger? I tried to print but they're pretty small, too small to read.

Bump. How are you guys memorizing all those formulas..... Do you think a should wait a week before my MCAT and start rewriting the formulas over and over again (this help me with my math classes).

Bump. How are you guys memorizing all those formulas..... Do you think a should wait a week before my MCAT and start rewriting the formulas over and over again (this help me with my math classes).

For me, I was able to memorize most of them through practicing problems. Others needed a little more efforts. Although memorizing the equations is important, knowing how to relate them to one another is more crucial. Sometimes, the MCAT brings up equations that you never seen before to intimidate you. If you know all of the equations inside out PLUS knowing the proper units, you will be fine.

Here's a free (mostly) resource that I've used. I think they have a couple of others too.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1q-AfLv-AqPBZ6U6hriKs30Q_AP4QLz3z-Nnm7jxLR0I/edit

Physics is not about memorizing equations.
Yes, you do need to memorize them, but not in the same way you do for bio.
You must understand what's happening first. Otherwise, these equations will never get into your head.
DO A LOT OF QUESTIONS. You will be surprised by how your brain absorbs these equations automatically as you do questions.