Can Very Old Grades Hurt Me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaveSch

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 35 years old, and am in my second year of prereqs for optometry. My GPA so far is 3.76 overall and 3.76 for prereqs... About 17 years ago I was at the same school I am in now, in a music program. I basically goofed off for the whole year and got some pretty bad grades, even got an F in one class. :eek:

I thought it was history, but in the past week, the school started including all of these courses in my transcript draft. This has brought my overall institution gpa down to about a 2.5. Is this going to hurt my chances when it comes time to apply? Do you think it might be possible to get such old grades stricken from my record? If not, should I at least mention in my essay / cover letters when I apply why my instituion gpa is so low?

I guess I should go speak to an advisor tomorrow, but I just thought I'd see if anyone here has been in a similar situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools offer academic forgiveness for cases like yours. I'll be applying for it at my school next year. In my case, I can have up to 3 semesters taken off of my transcript as long as at least 3 years have passed. Hope that helps!

I spoke with my school yesterday and unfortunately it looks like the grades stay on my transcript for life. My only hope is that school(s) that I apply to will realize it was 17 years ago and see the my recent grades are a completely different story.

I spoke with my school yesterday and unfortunately it looks like the grades stay on my transcript for life. My only hope is that school(s) that I apply to will realize it was 17 years ago and see the my recent grades are a completely different story.

I wouldn't worry too much about that.