Taking out life insurance on your parents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BATiger

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently my mom suggested to me that I take out a life insurance policy on her now for $50-100/month and then end up with $150-200K when she dies. At first I was horrified! But, her reasoning is that we are all going to die at some point and this is the best possible return on any investment you could make. Her policy through work is for a small amount, maybe $10K. She is uncomfortable with the fact that I will have $200K in debt when I graduate. Is this twisted and horribly wrong? Or is she just being realistic? She doesn't plan on dying for many years 20+, and is healthy... but she is right, we all go sometime...

Members don't see this ad.

She shouldn't be concerned about your debt. While its a nice offer, its not necessary as you can pay that debt on your own without her help. More likely, if you have her co-sign any of your debt, she should take a life insurance policy on you! Although you are her child, you have to learn to stand on your own two feet at one point.

I don't mean to sound callice, but while parents worry about their children and want the best for them while they are gone, you don't really have the money to be spending a life insurance policy for your mother in school. If she's worried she can take out a larger life insurance on herself but that debt shouldn't fall to you.

Just my opinion though ...

according to fidelity, investing $1200 a year ($100/month) for 20 years would give you about $60,000 at the end, assuming an 8% return. so if you can "invest" that in life insurance and get a guaranteed $150-200k, i'd say go for it. of course, this assumes she lives the full 20 years - if she (god forbid) dies earlier, you get a better financial payoff, but if she lives to 130, it might not work out so well. pretty macabre stuff, this life insurance game...

Members don't see this ad :)
according to fidelity, investing $1200 a year ($100/month) for 20 years would give you about $60,000 at the end, assuming an 8% return. so if you can "invest" that in life insurance and get a guaranteed $150-200k, i'd say go for it. of course, this assumes she lives the full 20 years - if she (god forbid) dies earlier, you get a better financial payoff, but if she lives to 130, it might not work out so well. pretty macabre stuff, this life insurance game...

ETF is right, you need to run the math. If insurance companies lost money on average, they'd go out of business. So on average, you will come out behind paying premiums in hopes of the big pay-off. You are betting your mother will die sooner than the average woman her age in her health would. Let's show the numbers each way. We'll assume an 8% average return on your investments, and that $60/month buys $200K worth of 30 year level term life insurance (this figure taken from term4sale.com). We'll assume your mother is 50, and that her life expectancy at this time is 80.2 (taken from an actuarial table) If your mother dies in:

10 years, your investment would be worth $11,000 and the life insurance would pay $200,000.

20 years, your investment would be worth $35,000 and the life insurance would pay $200,000

30 years, your investment would be worth $89,000 and the life insurance would pay $200,000

31 years, your investment would be worth $98,000 and the life insurance would pay $0.

40 years, your investment would be worth $209,000 and the life insurance would pay $0.

Make your bet, but realize there is a reasonable chance you will lose it. If your mother is in such poor health that she will surely die in the next 20 years, she probably isn't insurable.

Very well put Desperado, thank you! I think this is too creepy for me to think about, much less follow through with...

If insurance companies lost money on average, they'd go out of business.

actually, i read in one of warren buffett's berkshire letters that insurance underwriting is actually a losing game for the insurance company. in the long run, the insurance companies will pay out more than they collect in premiums - it's just that this liability can be deferred essentially indefinately, barring a "mega cat" event. that's why they try to make money investing the float.

actually, i read in one of warren buffett's berkshire letters that insurance underwriting is actually a losing game for the insurance company. in the long run, the insurance companies will pay out more than they collect in premiums - it's just that this liability can be deferred essentially indefinately, barring a "mega cat" event. that's why they try to make money investing the float.

Hmmm, it seems like insurance companies make a lot of money to me.

In any event -- is this term or whole life, plus, how old is your mother?

Ed

I don't find anything twisted or horrible in this story, your mom is perfectly right and she is very realistic. This is not the problem, have you tried to talk to an insurance company about this? I think there are some limits for that and it's better for you to gather informations directly from the source.

you may find that her life insurance is more expensive because of age and medical factors...