Malpractice Insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lonelobo

PAIN DOC
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was just wondering what people out there in private practice
are paying for their malpractice for Interventional pain?

I am fellowship trained with PMR background. I have been in practice for a year and half in Iowa where I joined a 20 person Orthopaedic group( as the
1st person to do pain for them at an ASC) I have no claims history and my current premium is $25,000/yr for 1mil/3mil policy.

We did form a capitve insurance(meaning we are self insured as group. But when I compare my rates to some of the other guys (hand surgeons-$21,000/yr, spine surgeon out 10 yrs-$48,000), I think mine is a little excessive.

would appreciate any input.

Members don't see this ad.

sounds excessive especially if you havent been working for 3 years...that is when they consider you "mature"...meaning you have seen enough patients to screw one up.

Tips to lower your premium....only get coverage for actual hours of direct patient care. If you only see patients on m,w,f, dont get coverage for 9-5 every day. Also, shop around.

T

$34K no claims, interventional pain level III out of IV + endoscopic spine surgery. Level III includes pumps and stims. Level IV includes cordotomy....I don't think I want to go there....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I was just wondering what people out there in private practice
are paying for their malpractice for Interventional pain?

I am fellowship trained with PMR background. I have been in practice for a year and half in Iowa where I joined a 20 person Orthopaedic group( as the
1st person to do pain for them at an ASC) I have no claims history and my current premium is $25,000/yr for 1mil/3mil policy.

We did form a capitve insurance(meaning we are self insured as group. But when I compare my rates to some of the other guys (hand surgeons-$21,000/yr, spine surgeon out 10 yrs-$48,000), I think mine is a little excessive.

would appreciate any input.

I agree with other posts. You may want to shop around. I dont know anything about the malpractice climate in your state, but that rate seems high. Is is occurence or claims made??

It won't help to ask on this forum because a lot depends on your geographic area. You need to talk to your local colleagues and shop the prices.