Atlas help: Grant's or Atlas of Clinical Gross Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tranzformer

Varg
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need an Atlas for Anatomy and have narrowed it down to these two texts. I have heard good things about both of them. Grant's uses drawings while the ACGA uses real pictures. I am leanings towards ACGA due to the added benefit of having real pictures to guide you. Any advice?

Grants: http://www.amazon.com/Grants-Atlas-...7575022?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179463856&sr=8-1

ACGA: http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Clinica...575022?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179464996&sr=1-13

Members don't see this ad.

i use gross anatomy and netter!with gross, not only for real picture, but also u can learn how to read a Xrays film or CTscan, MRI....i think it useful! i like gross than netter!

Members don't see this ad :)
Netter for illustrations, Rohens for actual pictures. Get 'em both.

This book will be in addition to Netter which I already have. Someone also mentioned that I might want to consider getting Rohen, but I have no experience with it. I really like the layout of Clinical Gross.

1) Netter is awesome.

2) I bought (Moses'?) Clinical as well, and liked it much better than Rohens (my friend had a copy that I would look at occasionally. Much better format.

3) i'll throw in a plug for Gray's Anatomy. Big text, but it is great.

4) Add Chung BRS (for the questions, mainly) and you'll do very well.

I personally liked Clemente...a book that doesn't get much love on this site. There are little comments at the bottom of the pages of Clemente that I think are helpful, unlike Netter which just points out the structures.

For photo atlases I think Moses is superior to Rohen, although both are excellent. I don't think you should use a photo atlas as your only atlas.

For illustrated atlases, take a close look at Clemente, which I think is better than Netter or Grant's. If you have the $$$, also check out Sobotta or Thieme.

I used Netter's for most of Gross Anatomy, and did terrible on the practicals. For the last test, I used Rohen's and did much better. It's a matter of personal preference I guess.

use Netter or Grant and Rohen. I recommend Rohen if you want the real stuff. Netter is good for beginners, but at the end there is no substitute for real stuff like Rohen. I don't know anything about Moses.

We used Grants dissector and were told to buy a copy of Grant's Atlas for use in lab. I didn't like it at all. Rohen's is pretty good in my opinion (if you want a supplement) but Netters was key. That and going back in to lab.

I didn't learn much from Rohen's atlas. Some people did, and the dissections are very clean (i.e. much much better than what you will do yourself), but there was no substitute for looking at the bodies in person because that is how you'll be tested.

So I'd be inclined to say start with Netter and then go back to the specimen. Some places also make videos of dissections available too.

Netter's is very "cartoony." I would say go with Grant's. It's an excellent atlas. (Plus Arthur Dalley--the guy who writes it--is at Vanderbilt. :D)

Most people in our class used a Netter's/Grant's (no real big difference to me) and a Rohen's.

Netter's is good for learning the orientation of structures and Rohen's is good for testing yourself for practical-like scenarios. WAIT until school starts and you can almost always get these used for significantly less.

In addition, AMSA at our school offered a free new copy of Netter's to anyone who joined (and paid the fee which was about $60 or so)

Buy Netter (so you can mark it up) and use the library copy of Rohen (not worth the price).

Great thread. I was trying to figure this one out myself since I'm going to have a little time on my hands and my undergraduate degree (bioinformatics) had 0 anatomy in it. I think I'll start with Netter and take it from there.

isn't netter all you really need? maybe grant's dissector, but a lot of the instructions are confusing in there too. rohen's might be useful to some people, but it's kind of unrealistic - can't really compare your group's parotid/facial nerve dissection to rohen's...

i'd say just hold onto netter's for now and maybe wait until a few gross lectures to see if you really need anything else. you probably won't. good luck.