Does your ED use early-goal directed therapy for sepsis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gradient Echo

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought that EGDT was standard operating procedure for EDs after Rivers et al published their landmark RCT in 2001 in the NEJM. However, others I have spoken to in different EDs around the country are still not using EGDT.

I'd like to start an informal poll here. Does your ED use EGDT for sepsis? If not, why? Is it because its hard to implement or because the SCVO2 sensors attached to the central lines are too unwieldy or expensive?

Is the EGDT policy dependent on the attending covering the ED that day or is it a formalized process/protocol where all patients identified with sepsis are automatically entered into the protocol by the charge nurses/ICU nurses?

What is your pattern on transitioning care to the ICU? Do you send them as soon as a bed is available and their vitals are stable? Or do you use the 6 hour trial period like Rivers et al used in their study?

Also, please post the name/location of your ED.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

We don't use it (and that would be 6 hospitals when I say we meaning my group). We don't have the sensors. We don't have the ability to do invasive monitoring in the ED such as art lines, swans or CVP monitors. It's not attending dependent, no one does it. We usually admit as soon as we have a diagnosis (UTI, pneumonia, etc.) however the patients usually stay in the ED for indefinite periods because of volume and boarding.

My hospitals wouldn't like to be outed like this so I'll hold off on naming names.

I work in several small to medium sized community ER's in Colorado. We generally don't keep septic patients in the ER anywhere near long enough to do much of the EGDT. There is nothing magic about being in the ER for 6 hours. You can do all the same things in the ICU's. Our ICU's do follow protocols based on EGDT to varying degrees. We stock the SCV02 catheters in the ED but I've found them to be a pain to use. Plus most of the time the nurses, either ER or ICU, can't seem to get them to calibrate.

Members don't see this ad :)
We use EGDT in our ED. Then again, that isn't saying much, since it was born in our ED.

We generally don't keep septic patients in the ER anywhere near long enough to do much of the EGDT. There is nothing magic about being in the ER for 6 hours. You can do all the same things in the ICU's.

What was noticed in our ICU was that it could be 1-2 hours before a patient was fully seen, evaluated and the resusication continued. When you include the time it takes to get a bed, after severe sepsis has been identified, 2-3 hours or more of resuscitation time is lost.

We stock the SCV02 catheters in the ED but I've found them to be a pain to use. Plus most of the time the nurses, either ER or ICU, can't seem to get them to calibrate.

I'm curious what kind of problems you are having and which box you use for monitoring. Typically I do an in vitro calibration, when I place one, to get a rough ScVO2 and then draw the calibration VBG and Hg myself. If I get an unstable signal, pulling the catheter back 1/2 to 1 cm usually fixes the instability.

We use EGDT in our ED. Then again, that isn't saying much, since it was born in our ED.

What was noticed in our ICU was that it could be 1-2 hours before a patient was fully seen, evaluated and the resusication continued. When you include the time it takes to get a bed, after severe sepsis has been identified, 2-3 hours or more of resuscitation time is lost.

I'm curious what kind of problems you are having and which box you use for monitoring. Typically I do an in vitro calibration, when I place one, to get a rough ScVO2 and then draw the calibration VBG and Hg myself. If I get an unstable signal, pulling the catheter back 1/2 to 1 cm usually fixes the instability.

Well, strictly speaking, we don't EXACTLY follow the EGDT. And I bet that most places don't follow it either -- again, strictly speaking. But I would make two important points. One illustrating how influential the EGDT studies have been anyway, and an associated caveat.

One: At our ivory tower institution, Rivers et al. body of work has made us ever vigilant when it comes to thinking about sepsis and to be aggressive treating it as soon as it is seriously part of the differential. This alone makes the studies of great utility. We get antibiotics on board in an almost immediate manner, we robustly resuscitate our patients (EGDT has helped focus many folks' approach to this point, as it is now recognized that many patients are traditionally under resuscitated with regard to fluid volume) and we have defined transfusion goals. We have better and more clear "first options" for choosing pressors, considering adrenal insufficiency, and other teatment goals.

But do we get ScvO2 for all of our patients? We don't.

We *might* transduce a CVP off of the central line, but to be truthful, we assume they're in need of fluid, and we run in fluid pretty freely without checking it (assuming the chest xray doesn't show overload). Do I think we could improve here? Absolutely. And granted, if they were to remain in the ED for an extended period of time (say, toward the 6 hour mark) we probably would be sure to get a CVP. But I would be lying if I said we always had a CVP.

Do we intubate all of our patients as soon as we think they're septic? The truth is, we don't. At H Ford, they did. When that study was being performed, if anyone was septic, one of the PIs or associates was paged, they came into the ED, and the patient got the full treatment.

And that is the segway to the caveat that I referred to above: While I think that the EGDT studies have changed my practice and have likely resulted in me giving better care overall, I don't do the "full menu" of EGDT and thus can't prove it. And this is a dangerous precedent -- afterall, the reduced mortality was for the patients WHO GOT THE FULL MENU. There was no half-assed, half-bore group that got the kind of half treatment that I give, to see if what I truly do has utility.

So while we debate who really gives EGDT in their ED, I challenge us to think about whether or not we have any evidence based medicine for what we really do (I don't) and whether or not we consider ourselves, nonetheless, to still be giving better care than 15 years ago.:rolleyes:

There is no doubt that recognition is key. It you don't think about it, you can't treat it.

Frankly, most severe sepsis patients I've seen get 1-2 liters of fluid before I have a chance to drop a central line.

Do we intubate all of our patients as soon as we think they're septic? The truth is, we don't. At H Ford, they did.

That is not exactly true. People were intubated if they had persistantly low ScVO2 despite meeting other goals.

large urban-based ED in California. No we dont use it.

Sorry guys I'm just a dumb med student who recently finished his ED rotation, but I saw several septic patients in the ED and none of them got EGDT so thats why I brought this up.

Anyways, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the Rivers study actually had more people get intubated in the standard therapy group rather than the EGDT group over 72 hours, but the ED phase of the project showed a similar rate of intubation (about 50% of all septic patients got tubed)

Anyways I dont think intubation was distinguishing factor between the groups. The main distinguishing factors were that the EGDT group got more IVF early in the course of therapy (< 6 hours), more RBC transfusions, fewer pulmonary artery caths (Swan-Ganz), higher rate of inotropic (dobutamine) infusions in the early phase (same rate of inotropics over 3 days), and less vasopressor therapy.

So are SCVO2 and CVP measurements done ONLY for sepsis management; I thought these were used for other disease processes. Is it true that many of your EDs dont have the personnel who are familiar with how to obtain these measurements?

I guess a lot depends on how quick the transition to ICU care is. At our hospital, the ICU is always packed full, and it takes awhile to send somebody up. So its not reasonable IMHO to forego the invasive monitoring required for EGDT in the hopes that you will get your patient to an ICU quick enough so they can benefit from the monitoring in the ICU.

There have been multiple validation studies that have come out since 2001 to support Rivers findings of decreased mortality, and some of them showed even greater mortality decreases than the original study did (up to 50% relative reduction).

In addition to that, multiple studies have come out showing that the implementation of Rivers EGDT algorithm (or other very closely related variants) impose no extra costs or resource burdens to the hospital (Trzeciak et al. Translating Research to Clinical Practice: A 1-Year Experience with Implementing Early Goal Directed Therapy for Septic Shock in the Emergency Department. Chest 2006, 129: 225-232).

I dont know, I'm sure a lot of my perspective as a 4th year med student is naive about the difficulties in implementing this research protocol. Its just that I've seen a lot of medical practice defined by studies that were a lot less statistically powerful than Rivers, and this seems to me to be a "slam dunk" in terms of showing us the proper way to care for sepsis patients, yet its not being implemented on a broad scale.

So tell me more about the constraints to implementing EGDT. Do most EDs not carry CVP or SCVO2 measurement equipment already? Is finding someone who knows how to use the equipment difficult and require a lot of training?

Also, I'd like to hear more about objections to the Rivers study generalizability to sepsis patients at large. Besides the practical implementation matters, are there widespread objections to the findings of the study or concerns about bias or flaws? I know one potential source of bias is that the early phase of therapy in the ED dept (first 6 hours) was non-blinded, and it was only the ICU portion that was blinded. Do you think that bias was sufficient enough to cast the findings in doubt?

Also, I wanted to comment about research studies in general and their implementation at academic institutions. Maybe my experience is too limited to support this view, but my gut feeling is that there is a mild inherent resistance to implementation of these studies at large academic medical centers because academics in general dont like to run "protocol" medicine and prefer to think about each patient on a case by case basis without having their care "dictated" by algorithms. Do you think there's any truth to that?

was at a large east coast inner city tertiary care academic center that rarely had medical icu beds available in a timely fashion: did egdt, used scvo2 continuous monitors and followed cvp, placed art lines, lots of pressors inc vasopressin, used dex sometimes, rarely intubated/paralyzed or transfused for persistently low scvo2.

in contrast, also worked at a community hospital where the icu was readily available. there abx were started, ivfs started, patient went to icu quickly.

One of the authors of the study is an attending here now and we dont use it.

Gradient Echo said:
Also, I wanted to comment about research studies in general and their implementation at academic institutions. Maybe my experience is too limited to support this view, but my gut feeling is that there is a mild inherent resistance to implementation of these studies at large academic medical centers because academics in general dont like to run "protocol" medicine and prefer to think about each patient on a case by case basis without having their care "dictated" by algorithms. Do you think there's any truth to that?

I disagree. I go to Penn (a large academic center), and we are so into the EGDT. While no one does protocol medicine (it is mixed up depending on the patient, similar to what bulgethetwine said), the ED and indeed the hospital here is very proud of implementing evidence based medicine.

I was on medicine for a month and all my MICU transfers were like "sepsis s/p EGDT in the ED, transferred to MICU...". The patients are usually in the ED a good few hours before they get a bed, and the majority of the protocol is implemented (occasionally a VBG subs for the SVO2, but this is exceeding rare and happens only when someone put in the wrong line); intubation is rarely necessary.

During my required EM clerkship we had an entire lecture on EGDT. They have retrospective data showing like a 16% or better increase in survival and now HUP is investigating why septic patients do better in the ED than on the floors and attributing it to EGDT. It is a big deal here and a claim to fame for our ED. These EBM protocols, like EGDT and increased intracranial pressure are really just excellent guidelines, not cookbook medicine as you seem to suggest.

We do, minus the SvO2 monitor. We'll do VBGs from the central line, though.

We do CVP monitoring on lots and lots of people.

Like many on this thread, this concept has changed our appreciation and recognition of sepsis. We're much more vigilant in thinking about both sepsis and aggressive resusciation in general. We're pretty quick to put in a central line and set up CVP monitoring. Who knows, maybe we're too quick and should just get these folks admitted and be done with it.

Take care,
Jeff

We use EGDT and have a "sepsis alert" pathway that is called based on specific criteria, much like our trauma and STEMI resource alerts.

I agree with Rivers that sepsis has high morbidity and mortality and early tx can reduce this but their protocol is way too labor-intensive for me to pull off. I use what I consider to be the take home points.

1) They effectively showed that we usually underresuscitate with fluids, so I try to give 4-6 liters for most septic patients, following foley outputs, VS, lung exam. Rarely measure a CVP.

2) I consider transfusion to Hb 10 on anemic patients to restore o2 carrying capacity - still controversial.

3) I only use pressors on hypotension nonresponsive to fluids. No one has proven to me that pressors have any long-term benefit -> your patient needs fluids, steroids, or something else done to restore their BP.

Long story short - broad spectrum Abx, lots of fluids, consider adrenal insufficiency, concommitant overdoses such as ASA or narcotics (seen both in sepsis), early central line so that SOMEONE can measure a CVP/give pressors.

We use EGDT at the two large academic hospitals I work at in Boston; we also rotate at a smaller community hospital in Cambridge where it is not routinely used, mainly because of the decreased number of septic patients, inability for the ED nurses to transduce CVP and greater availability of unit beds

I work at a large trauma ctr in the pacific nw. we don't use it.

Great discussion!

As a 4th year med student last year at a large volume academic ED in New England, I did an informal "survey" of some of the barriers to EGDT in the ED. I spoke mostly to residents and a few attendings.

Basically, not meeting the goals of EGDT were most likely due to

1) not recognizing sepsis early enough, esp in complicated patients
2) not having the SVO2 catheter and monitors around for easy use
3) time consuming step of doing the sepsis catheter (fixed by having a central line access team take care of it when paged)
3) ED nurses not being familiar with setting up the sepsis catheter monitor

I think another barrier is the underlying feeling that these time consuming things should be continued upstairs where there's more staff available vs the ED, that if the ICU took patients up once they were admitted, there would be no problems.

Abx, fluids, blood cx were all easily done, but actual resusc monitoring was not very often done.

I think this also goes to show how difficult it is to translate research into practice within a hospital system.

We use it here. (large urban east coast hospital). Like peski, we have a pathway that we utilize. We use it *alot*. I helped develop and implement the pathway so I am familiar with some of the barriers. It is very effective in our hospital.

As some have pointed out, equipment can be a problem. (it took me a loooong time and lots of head banging the wall to get the CVP monitors up and running). We don't do continous Svo2 monitoring, as we don't have the capabilities here. However, we do mixed venous 02 monitoring through the central line. (there is plenty of evidence to show that it correlates well to SVo2).

One of the keys is to work together with the ICU on this. I worked intimately with our critical care committee and our ICU attendings to develop the pathway, inservice the ED and all medicine housestaff. We regularly CQI ICU patients to make sure that patients aren't getting missed. Inservicing our nurses to raise awareness was also key, so that there was not a misconception that this was a 'ICU' thing we were doing, that it was an EM 'thing'. Our patients rarely rapidly go to the ICU, so thier management is often ours, in close conjunction with ICU staff.

In truth, once you ahve a pathway, its not really that time consuming. Recognition is key and regular education is important.

Prior to the monitors and pathways, we still did 'poor man's version' of EGDT. Lots of fluids, intubation, pressor support.

Large academic-community fusion program in Chicagoland - we use it with continuous CVP monitoring, but follow SvO2 with blood gases. We have a large protocol packet, with an insulin drip protocol as well. Putting that on the chart will get you a lot of groans from nursing, and sometimes I'll hang a liter or two myself, but in the end we generally get the patients resuscitaed well.