Disability Insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

booda

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am starting a new job as a hospitalist and I was wondering if it is really necessary to get disablity insurance. I applied to get disability and it turns out it will be quite pricey (182/month). The disability would give 3500/month if I were to get disabled.Sounds like a scam to me.

Members don't see this ad.

its like all insurance... you don't really see the need of it until you actually need it. said another way, insurance is for "just in case."

i'm still a resident, but i pay for disability insurance now... just in case.

also, paying for it now should, theoretically at least, garner a better rate as you or i get older. add to that, as your salary goes up, the amount of disability that you would receive goes up - it is my understanding, as a general rule, that disability would pay you 60% of your previous year(s) earning. so, 60% of 40-50k (resident's salary) isn't as good as 60% of 140k.

you nor i know what the future holds. but, given a real possibility of anything happening, it'd be nice to know that there'd be some source of income. God forbid anything happen, but you never know.