November Psych GRE Scores Available!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeldazelda

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just called in and got my score. I am pleasantly surprised! I thought it was a hard test but I did better than I expected. My score was better than my practice test scores.

I hope others do well too!

Members don't see this ad.

Just called in and got my score. I am pleasantly surprised! I thought it was a hard test but I did better than I expected. My score was better than my practice test scores.

I hope others do well too!

Well how did you do?

Mark

Members don't see this ad :)
first - congrads!

i called the number from the ETS website but it did not accept my confirmation number and kept referring to the general test. what number did you call?

Ooooo - I just got off the phone with ETS and was going to post this same thing. I did better than I feared too, although not as well as I might have liked. 700, 82%. So now I'm wondering, is that high enough to report to schools that don't require it to bolster my app, since I wasn't a psych major and my GPA wasn't exactly a shining beacon of academic hope?

And major congrats to you, Zelda - that test was bloody hard and you showed it whatfor in a serious way!

The number was 1-888-GRE-SCORE (1-888-473-7267) Make sure you put in your confirmation number for the subject and not the general - I did that at first on accident and got nowhere.

Ooooo - I just got off the phone with ETS and was going to post this same thing. I did better than I feared too, although not as well as I might have liked. 700, 82%. So now I'm wondering, is that high enough to report to schools that don't require it to bolster my app, since I wasn't a psych major and my GPA wasn't exactly a shining beacon of academic hope?

And major congrats to you, Zelda - that test was bloody hard and you showed it whatfor in a serious way!

The number was 1-888-GRE-SCORE (1-888-473-7267) Make sure you put in your confirmation number for the subject and not the general - I did that at first on accident and got nowhere.

A 700 is a good score. I managed a 680 on the subject test and a 1300 general and I was in pretty good shape as far as my scores went.

Give yourself every possible advantage!

Mark

A 700 is a good score. I managed a 680 on the subject test and a 1300 general and I was in pretty good shape as far as my scores went.

Give yourself every possible advantage!

Mark

Oh no - I mean I got a 700 on the psych subject test. I already reported my general scores. Should I take those into consideration too, not just my GPA, in deciding whether or not to report my subject test score? I got a 780 verbal, but only a 610 quant, which I'm afraid will hurt my chances.
I feel like I'm engaged in some annoying logic problem: if and only if a is > than b, than report c, but if c is < d than do not report c.

Uhmm....you OWNED that!

Congrats!

-t

Thank you! :)

I studied hard but you just never know how it will turn out. I know it's not that important in the overall scheme of things, but it is good for me since my psych background is weaker than most applicants (not a psych undergrad).

first - congrads!

i called the number from the ETS website but it did not accept my confirmation number and kept referring to the general test. what number did you call?

1-888-473-7267 and I think you can also use your social security number. Maybe give that a try. I just had to enter the confirm #, then the test mth/yr then birthdate mth/yr.

...700, 82%. So now I'm wondering, is that high enough to report to schools that don't require it to bolster my app, since I wasn't a psych major and my GPA wasn't exactly a shining beacon of academic hope?

And major congrats to you, Zelda - that test was bloody hard and you showed it whatfor in a serious way! ...

Based on what I've heard, I'd say a 700 is a good score and definitely worth reporting. I think a good score on the psych GRE while it may not be a make-or-break factor, it can only help for folks like you and me with less of a psych background. My plan was to report it to schools that didn't require it as long as I got 700+.

And thanks!

Oh no - I mean I got a 700 on the psych subject test. I already reported my general scores. Should I take those into consideration too, not just my GPA, in deciding whether or not to report my subject test score? I got a 780 verbal, but only a 610 quant, which I'm afraid will hurt my chances.
I feel like I'm engaged in some annoying logic problem: if and only if a is > than b, than report c, but if c is < d than do not report c.

It's important to remember that once you get the interview, really your GRE is no longer really relevant. It's primarily a sorting tool.

LOL, no you are in fine shape with a 1390. You have little to worry about, you should make the initial cut at most programs with ease. For the top 10, you might be at the low end of the interview pool but believe me, you are in really good shape. I made it past the sorter at UT with only a 1300 for instance and was on a particular profs desk in the top 10 pile of apps, I got edged out by applicants with lots of experience I didn't have. (Granted UT was ranked 11th.)

Mark

PS - With your scores I don't think it matters either way... You aren't gonna get beat up for scoring in the top 20% of all psychology graduate students on the subject test and your general scores should put you deep in the top quartile as well.

It's important to remember that once you get the interview, really your GRE is no longer really relevant. It's primarily a sorting tool.

LOL, no you are in fine shape with a 1390. You have little to worry about, you should make the initial cut at most programs with ease. For the top 10, you might be at the low end of the interview pool but believe me, you are in really good shape. I made it past the sorter at UT with only a 1300 for instance and was on a particular profs desk in the top 10 pile of apps, I got edged out by applicants with lots of experience I didn't have. (Granted UT was ranked 11th.)

Mark

PS - With your scores I don't think it matters either way... You aren't gonna get beat up for scoring in the top 20% of all psychology graduate students on the subject test and your general scores should put you deep in the top quartile as well.

Cool, that actually makes me feel much better. Now I just have to hope that I'm better off than I think on some other stuff too.

Thank you! :)

I studied hard but you just never know how it will turn out. I know it's not that important in the overall scheme of things, but it is good for me since my psych background is weaker than most applicants (not a psych undergrad).

If done correctly, it can be a lot more helpful, being a non-psych major. You were able to show your grasp of the material, in addition to whatever skills you possess from your undergrad.

-t

First, congrats everyone!

Second, I'm really glad I'm not applying this year ... now if I could just magically intercept the scores I already have going to schools. The best I can hope for at this point is that I do so spectacularly next time, that those schools are just blown away by my improvement! Um, right?

WOOT! Got a 750! 50 points higher than my score 5 years ago! So far, it seems that I'm getting smarter the longer that I'm out of school. Geez, at this rate, I should take the Psych GRE again when I'm 33 so I can get an 800. :D

I still maintain that the Psych GRE I took in Nov. was a terrible test. It must have had a heck of a curve.

I also took the GRE 5 years ago [dang! I wish I didn't have to do it all over, 'cause I actually did a little better then :-( ], but I'm surprised at basically how consistent the scores have been for me.... only losing about -10 points for being 5 years dumber. :-(

I thought I would have crashed much worse than I did. Oh well... Anyhow, I just called up. I think these are decent scores, though probably... as people has said, it's not a determinative factor. They should hopefully help me get interviewed most places... and then they can decide to take me or not.

Scores:

Subject: 790
Q: 800
V: 730

I don't know my writing score yet... but I might have botched that... ya' never know.

Anyhow, my main disadvantage is that I'm now in my late thirties and a definitely non-traditional student.... and all of the psych classes I've taken are from the local community college......

But on the plus side, I guess I have pretty decent scores, and three publications... even if they are over a decade old... I also only really want to go to UCLA.

Not sure what my chances are... but I guess we'll see...

I don't know my writing score yet... but I might have botched that... ya' never know.

Anyhow, my main disadvantage is that I'm now in my late thirties and a definitely non-traditional student.... and all of the psych classes I've taken are from the local community college......

I also only really want to go to UCLA.

About 5%, but that's without weighting for your astromically high GRE scores and publications. As a non-traditional student myself, I admit it can be a little strange interviewing with a bunch of 25 year olds.

Mark

I also took the GRE 5 years ago [dang! I wish I didn't have to do it all over, 'cause I actually did a little better then :-( ], but I'm surprised at basically how consistent the scores have been for me.... only losing about -10 points for being 5 years dumber. :-(

I thought I would have crashed much worse than I did. Oh well... Anyhow, I just called up. I think these are decent scores, though probably... as people has said, it's not a determinative factor. They should hopefully help me get interviewed most places... and then they can decide to take me or not.

Scores:

But on the plus side, I guess I have pretty decent scores, and three publications... even if they are over a decade old... I also only really want to go to UCLA.

I think read in a previous post of yours that you are going to med school. Why take the GRE if that is your plan? Do some schools ask you take the GRE as well as the MCAT?

Congrats on your score nonetheless, wow.

@socialcog: well, as you probably know, i guess, i've been thinking about med school.... the whole psychiatry vs psychology thing... weighing the pros and cons... and i am still thinking about med school in the back of my mind if i don't get into clinical psych...

...and just to answer your question... no schools that i know of ask you to take both the mcat and the gre.... it's just silly people like me ... who can't figure out what exactly they should be doing who have taken them both! :)

@socialcog: well, as you probably know, i guess, i've been thinking about med school.... the whole psychiatry vs psychology thing... weighing the pros and cons... and i am still thinking about med school in the back of my mind if i don't get into clinical psych...

...and just to answer your question... no schools that i know of ask you to take both the mcat and the gre.... it's just silly people like me ... who can't figure out what exactly they should be doing who have taken them both! :)

..some may call that "masochism." ;)

good luck.