graduate school GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfingphd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently a PhD student in Bioengineering and I should be finishing my PhD by the start of fall quarter.

Here is what is going on: I graduated from UCLA undergrad with a 3.9+ GPA (all A's in my med school prereqs), but my graduate school GPA is around a 3.2. The main reason that my grad school GPA is so low is that my classes were mainly engineering classes and I struggled with those.

I spoke to an MD in my department (he's on the admissions committees for a few schools) and he told me that I need to get my GPA up and that I need to get A's in the classes. (I've tried to get in touch with him recently and have been unsuccessful at reaching him)

My question is: what classes should I take to achieve this? Should I take science classes that will be part of BCPM GPA? Should I take humanities/history/art courses to show what I am well-rounded? Should I take undergrad or grad level classes?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say get a second opinion, which is probably what you're looking for here.

Conventional wisdom says that your undergrad GPA is way more important than your grad GPA. But this is usually in the context of folks looking to improve a weak undergrad GPA with a strong grad GPA; a strong grad GPA after a weak undergrad GPA smacks of grade inflation. But a not-powerful grad GPA after a truly awesome undergrad GPA doesn't sound like trouble to me, particularly with grad work in bioeng.

I think you're good to go, and I think you shouldn't worry about your GPA. Kill the MCAT, have strong EC's and LORs, and call it a day.

Best of luck to you.

Hi,

I am currently a PhD student in Bioengineering and I should be finishing my PhD by the start of fall quarter.

Here is what is going on: I graduated from UCLA undergrad with a 3.9+ GPA (all A's in my med school prereqs), but my graduate school GPA is around a 3.2. The main reason that my grad school GPA is so low is that my classes were mainly engineering classes and I struggled with those.

I spoke to an MD in my department (he's on the admissions committees for a few schools) and he told me that I need to get my GPA up and that I need to get A's in the classes. (I've tried to get in touch with him recently and have been unsuccessful at reaching him)

My question is: what classes should I take to achieve this? Should I take science classes that will be part of BCPM GPA? Should I take humanities/history/art courses to show what I am well-rounded? Should I take undergrad or grad level classes?

Thanks!
Honestly, I am VERY surprised to hear a U.S. M.D. say that. It contrasts what I have heard from many people, and it's the antithesis of my own experience and the experience of other PhD-to-MD applicants that I know. Most medical schools care about the undergraduate degree only.

This is what I see: you have a stellar undergraduate GPA from a reputable institution, you are in a research program where grades SHOULD NOT be your major focus, you'll have a Ph.D. in a tough discipline, and your graduate GPA is not bad. If you have a decent MCAT score and publications at the time of application, I guarantee you that you're going to be interviewed by many U.S. allopathic schools if you apply broadly. Taking more classes is a total waste of your time, talent, and money. Feel free to quote me on that. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I am VERY surprised to hear a U.S. M.D. say that. It contrasts what I have heard from many people, and it's the antithesis of my own experience and the experience of other PhD-to-MD applicants that I know. Most medical schools care about the undergraduate degree only.

This is what I see: you have a stellar undergraduate GPA from a reputable institution, you are in a research program where grades SHOULD NOT be your major focus, you'll have a Ph.D. in a tough discipline, and your graduate GPA is not bad. If you have a decent MCAT score and publications at the time of application, I guarantee you that you're going to be interviewed by many U.S. allopathic schools if you apply broadly. Taking more classes is a total waste of your time, talent, and money. Good luck.
Another PhD-to-MD here. Just wanted to say that I agree with Scottish Chap. OP, you can speak to the admissions office at a few schools if you're interested in hearing it from the horse's mouth, but I honestly don't think you'll have a problem getting into medical school as long as you have strong LORs, health-related ECs, and a decent MCAT.

+1 Most schools don't care about grad GPA all that much since everyone doesn't have one. It's not like you're getting B's in underwater basket weaving - I think you have a great shot with such a great UG GPA.

Another PhD to MD here.... dont really think you should sweat the issue... I suspect interviewers will understand the level of work required to pull a 3.2 during grad degree in Bionengineering... you just need to spin the issue well if it comes up.

Meanwhile, NO MORE CLASSES (IMHO)... go hit the beach!

Surf is :thumbup: