for all Emory folks

Started by snoofle
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

snoofle

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
if you've decided to go there or are seriously considering it..what department will you be going into? I'm going into BSHE
 
seriously considering-

global health

(the application package is sooo nice!!! the leather binder and all..haha the things that impress me =) )
 
Seriously considering Emory - epidemiology.

I agree, publichealthfan! After getting that nice, leather binder, how can we not go there?!?!

You guys going to Visit Emory in March?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
continue the diversity train - seriously thinking about health policy and management.

but it's hard to decide without knowing anything about the scholarship and financial aid available... i plan to attend student day, unless i hear about scholarship/finaid at another institution before booking my flight.
 
Yeah, I'm definitely going for the Friday events. Possibly the evening events on Thursday, depending on my work schedule. Oh course, this will all change if someone else gives me a free ride...
 
I'll be there! I've been accepted to the Global Health department and will be going regardless of scholarships/finances because from all the schools I looked at I felt Emory was the best fit for me...not that I wouldn't love a scholarship! And I'll also be at Visit Emory...probably going to go for both days I think.
 
ill be there both days since i live only 20 minutes away..it'd be laziness on my part to not go..i cant wait to see everyone!
 
i can't wait to meet yall!! at least i will have some friends (hopefully) before starting school (please be my friend =) )
 
this is really random but i remember when i visited Tulane, they said they admitted roughly 30 applicants per department and Emory is admitting between 80-100 for each of their departments..I'm surprised that it seems harder to get into Tulane based on numbers but i felt like Emory was harder to get into for me
 
Seriously considering Global Health.

I already booked the hotel for Visit Emory and will be attending both days. We will have to set up a sdn meeting place or something closer to the end of March. Fun, fun!
 
this is really random but i remember when i visited Tulane, they said they admitted roughly 30 applicants per department and Emory is admitting between 80-100 for each of their departments..I'm surprised that it seems harder to get into Tulane based on numbers but i felt like Emory was harder to get into for me

Based on some study from a previous thread, Emory gets a lot more applicants than Tulane. This said for Fall 2006:

Emory- 2,210 Applicants and 955 Accepted or about 43%

Tulane- 516 Applicants and 385 Accepted or about 75%

I think that Emory just has a larger school all in all, even though it is more "competitive."

I can attempt to find that link, but it was posted previously and I just printed off one of the pages.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
off campus..its cheaper but i need to find a roommate cuz it'll be alot cheaper with a roomie
 
I live in the Virginia Highland neighborhood and I definitely recommend it! It's close to Emory and has lots of great shops, restaurants, and bars. You should google it!
 
yeah definitely cheaper.. but clairmont has the convenience factor.. nto ahving to worry about paying bills, the SAAC, shuttles, no parking pass, if you opt for a furnished room, things like that.. but off campus is definitely cheaper overall price-wise.. Also, they are saying that clairmont will no longer be grad housing after 2009 so that is somethign to consider as well- if you don't wan tto move..
i am still trying to decide what i want to do.. when i lived at emory i lived on campus for 3 years and off campus for 1.. So i don't know.. i also would love to live in the highlands or decatur area in a cute apartment or house(pricey probably)..but i don't know!!
anyways.. so many decisions to make!
 
one of my friends at Emory has a house right by the CDC with a roommate for 345-350 a month!
 
do you live in an apartment or house in the highlands??

i live in a one bedroom apartment about two blocks from n highland ave (dark horse tavern, surin thai, etc.) and its 675/month. I'd LOVE to have a house but I'd definitely need roommates to do that!
 
I'm strongly considering it , though I'm waiting for Johns Hopkins and also Yale. I prefer Emory over Yale but my MD program is affiliated with Yale so I might have hard time getting their permission.
BTW it's BHSE in Emory.
 
i am SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING going too.... BSHE department.

I'll also be at the Visit Emory! thing for both thursday and friday!

and i'm going to live off campus -- it seems cheaper. i'll be bringing a car so i'm totally ok with living off campus too... seems like there's a lot of great neighborhoods to be in!
 
Congrats to all the newly accepted Emory students! I just got this from the RSPH Alumni List....looks like some of you will be receiving congratulatory calls next week! Don't know if I'll help out with the calls, but wanted to wish everyone congrats anyways! 🙂

-----------
from:
cleardot.gif
Rollins School of Public Health <[email protected]>
date:
cleardot.gif
Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 7:37 AM
subject:
cleardot.gif
Calling Assistance

Hello fellow RSPH alumni!
We are looking for volunteers to assist us in calling newly-accepted students to congratulate them on their admittance and extend our hope that they will soon join us as alumni.

Calls can be made beginning Saturday, March 1st, through the following week during your free time or with fellow alumni volunteers at RSPH in Atlanta during designated times. We hope each volunteer can make between 10 and 15 calls, lasting only a few minutes each.

If you are interested, please email [email protected] by Thursday, February 28th, and let us know if you'd prefer to make calls on your own or make them from Rollins. Thanks for your interest and assistance!
With warm regards,
Tamara Lamia, MPH (BHSE 2002), RSPH Alumni Board, Admissions Committee Co-Chair
Anthony Santella, DrPH, MPH (HPM, 2004), RSPH Alumni Board, Admissions Committee Co-Chair

-------------
 
clairmont has the convenience factor..

As a former inhabitant, I can tell you that it is very convenient and comfortable. Studying by the pool, a gym and tennis courts open late, Lullwater park... it's all nice. The two main problems are:

1) No worthwhile nightlife within walking distance. You'll have to arrange designated drivers whenever you go out.

2) A less obvious but very rough truth: It's so inconvenient for visitors to park at and get in to Clairmont that having people over can be a pain. Your friends living in the Highlands will prefer hanging out there much more - and so will you... Which goes back to 1).

Rollins is great, though! Take advantage of it.
 
is anyone doing the Webex online training seminar on "how to finance your MPH degree at RSPH"? If you are, I'm kind of confused on how to register for it so I have some questions
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Snoofle, what training are you talking about? I haven't read anything about online trainings. Do you have a link?
 
The Office of Admissions invites you to participate as an attendee in this online training session.

Topic: Financing Your MPH at the Rollins School of Public Health/Emory
Host: Shannon Shelton
Date: Friday, February 29, 2008
Time: 11:00 am --12 noon, Eastern Standard Time (GMT -05:00, New York) Session Number: 578 254 021 Registration Password: This session does not require a registration password.

-------------------------------------------------------
To register for this session
-------------------------------------------------------
Go to
https://rsphemory.webex.com/rsphemory/k2/j.php?ED=104761907&UID=949049850
and register.

Once you are approved by the host, you will receive a confirmation email with instructions for joining the session on Friday, February 29. Please note that registration is limited to 30 participants.

Most up-to-date computers are compatible for web conferencing. The minimum requirements for viewing this presentation are:

Windows: 98, 2000 SP4, XP SP2, and 2003 R2
MAC: 10.3 and 10.4 (Tiger)
Both PC and MAC : Min. Memory: 256 MB RAM; Min. Internet Connection: 56K modem

To hear the audio portion of this web conference (VOip), please turn up your speakers or headphones .

To ensure that you receive confirmation and log in information, please add @webex.com to your safe list.

Special NOTE: If you intend to participate in our Visit Emory Program, this information will be covered at that time. It is not necessary to register for this webconference.

Thank you for your interest in the Rollins School of Public Health at Emory University. We hope you will join us for this conference.

Office of Admissions
Rollins School of Public Health
Emory University
 
That's weird, I didn't receive that email. Perhaps because I've already registered for Visit Emory.
 
Well the email you posted does say it will all be covered at Visit Emory, so I'm not going to bother with the webcast.
 
oh i didnt see that part..i realized ill only be there Friday anyways since I have to work Thursday..oh well
 
I'm looking at going to Emory and gathering a lot of debt or going to a lower ranked school for free (assistantship)....is the debt worth it to go to Emory?? Any opinions welcome 🙂
 
Emory is a fantastic place to get your MPH/MSPH, but don't underestimate how much more freedom being debt-free will give you in the future. If the school is accredited and you feel that you can get a decent education there, I wouldn't worry too much about the rankings.
 
Global Health - Infectious Disease Track for Me.
I'll be up there at the end of March but also waiting to hear about scholarships before deciding 🙂
 
Seriously Considering, if not Definitely Going -- Global Health

Question: I registered for VisitEmory! this afternoon, but haven't gotten any confirmation. Are we supposed to get anything to confirm that we're signed up, or is it possible that my computer hiccuped and I'm not successfully registered?
 
i got an email confirming my registration.. i got it like right after i registered..

Seriously Considering, if not Definitely Going -- Global Health

Question: I registered for VisitEmory! this afternoon, but haven't gotten any confirmation. Are we supposed to get anything to confirm that we're signed up, or is it possible that my computer hiccuped and I'm not successfully registered?
 
I too am seriosly considering whether to join emory or no. i got a mail saying that i havent got the scholarship but can ne1 help me wrt applying for assistanceships? without assistanceships i cant afford emory 🙁 but i really like it
 
apart from emory i also recieved an admit fom u mass amherst, is it a good school? i couldnt see it ranked in USnews
 
Hi,
Am new here. I have an admit for MPH from the Health policy and Management dept at Emory. Anybody else going there for the same concentration ?
I also have an admit for the same dept at UAB. Which one is better ?
As of now neither have offered aid. 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, I just found out this weekend that I got into BSHE too, maybe we'll meet next year!!! I think I'll be going to the Visit Emory 2008 event, but only the second day, the 28th... I'm really excited about the program, but I want to make a decision after visiting. Congrats to you🙂
 
Hey, UMass is a relatively good school, I visited there last spring, since I had interest in the Community Health Education MPH. I met with the former dean, and things seem pretty good. The building it's in, the Arnold House, is sort of 80's-ish, but the entire Western Massachusetts region is absolutely beautiful. I can say that over the last year, there seem to have been some changes in the administration, with a new dean and new general admissions secretary (can't tell if the school is stable) . Although they aren't in the Top 10, another posting on this site says it's ranked #35 for the 2007 US news and world report. Also, the 1999 Gourman Report listed UMass SPHHS at #18, with a "very strong" ranking. In the end, I didn't end up applying. Hope this helps, and I got into an Emory MPH too. Good luck deciding🙂


apart from emory i also recieved an admit fom u mass amherst, is it a good school? i couldnt see it ranked in USnews
 
For everyone who is going to Visit Emory, do yall want to meet up soemtime? Maybe one night or something like that???
 
Just received the phone call yesterday! Accepted to health management. I think I will be attending the Friday session at a minimum.