How many programs to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrBling

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First let me pre-empt you.. F_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _!

This isn't a 'how competitive am I question'.. since we can all look up the stats.. (i believe i fall into the 91% match rate based on my step 1)

The question is that for a fairly average applicant (HPs mostly) with a slightly below avg board score (205-210 range) (other stuff:1x 1st author research project, non traditional med student background) what is a reasonable number of residencies to apply to? 20? 30? 40? 50?

I'm not looking at any ultracompetitive programs (whatever that means), but would like to go to an academic institution (more competitive?). Geography also is not important (i go to a NY school, so staying in NY would be nice, but not a priority)

My adviser suggested 20 applications should yield 10 interviews which should yield a match.. i realize that he does this for a living and should be fairly knowledgeable about this, but these numbers seem a bit optimistic. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i was in a similar boat, applied to 30, int's @ half @ a wide range of places

good luck

I did 35 EM apps, 10 pre-lim/transitional apps, got ~20 EM interview offers, went to 14 EM interviews and ranked all 14.

It might be useful to talk to the PD at your home institution and together you can decide on the appropriate number of applications. The key is to not have to scramble so I overestimated a bit on my initial applications and was able to receive more than enough interviews so that I was able to pick and choose. Hope this helps

Members don't see this ad :)
I think applying between 20-30 gives you the opportunity to check out a wide range of places - you can always decline/cancel interviews. You'll probably get enough interviews with 20, but this is a big decision - why not over-apply and be sure? I knew I was applying to too many (27), but I'm glad - because things in your life change between clicking those programs and actually making your rank list. There were some places I barely thought to apply to last summer that made it pretty high on my rank list. Then again, if money is an issue, apply to 20 and save a few extra dollars...

You have nothing to lose by applying to more places. At $25 per program over 20, that's only $250 for each additional 10 programs. A small price to pay for some extra security. You can always withdraw you application and decline interviews, but it is much harder to get an interview at a place you decided to add on in November.

Considering the lower step score (not that this is all that important or has anything to do with how good a doctor you'll be but some places use it to screen), I would apply to around 50, hope to get 25 interview offers, decline 10 (there's your safety margin), and go on at least 15. Applying to more places means that you can check some really competitive boxes just for the fun of it (if you like those programs). But hey, I did 21 EM interviews so take this with a grain of salt.

I think that taking step 2 early (like by Sept so your scores are avail in Oct when places start sending invites) and destroying it would help you.

If you guys wait awhile, I'm going to put out a survey to answer just this question (among others). I hope to get information from current MS4s (good luck to them) on their number of interviews, etc. Look for an announcement later today.

Several years ago BKN surveyed EM posters to find out your chances of matching to your 1st choice based on USMLE score. With his permission, I am updating that survey.

If you want to participate, PM me with:

USMLE score
# of places you applied to (estimates are fine)
# of interview offers (estimates are fine)
Your estimated class rank (upper 10%, upper third, middle third, and lower third)
If you are a DO or MD (trying to see if/how it changes anything)

In a few weeks, you can send me where you landed on your ROL. Your information will be kept confidential. The more volunteers, the better the survey will be. Good luck to everyone.

Someone already pointed out, the ONLY fact to not apply to every program in the US is the costs. And, as pointed out, over 20, each 10 costs $250 (A Bargain!).

You have rather decent stats, so matching is unlikely to be a big issue (unless your an arse). I'd apply to 30-35. As the interviews roll in, cancel from there. I'd still shoot for at 10-12 interviews at the least...

Its mucho easier to cancel on the flip side....

Someone already pointed out, the ONLY fact to not apply to every program in the US is the costs. And, as pointed out, over 20, each 10 costs $250 (A Bargain!).

You have rather decent stats, so matching is unlikely to be a big issue (unless your an arse). I'd apply to 30-35. As the interviews roll in, cancel from there. I'd still shoot for at 10-12 interviews at the least...

Its mucho easier to cancel on the flip side....

I whole heartedly agree with this.

Trust me if you think spending another $250-$500 is rough, imagine what you'd spend if you didn't match (or scramble a spot) to go through the whole process again.

Good point. doing it over would suck...

Now that i have a range of programs to apply to.. the question is how to narrow down to wich ones?

Having done some browsing, people say to spread out the choices.. ie: with a sprinkling of reach programs and a bunch of those that aren't as competitive... since there isn't a list of programs ranked by quality, how do we determine which are not as competitive? the biggest factor I could imagine is geographically.. so this begs the question: which locations are the least desired? Midwest? South East?

Midwest is generally least desired by the majority. However, different people like different things.
Just base it by how your interviews come. If you get a ton from what you consider middle or lower tier, and not as many reaches, it won't hurt you go add the reaches to your pile of X interviews. You can always cancel some as better ones come by.

Nobody can make your decisions for you.

Nobody can make your decisions for you.

Although many think they can and several will try.

You'll find that thorough research will help sort them out, plus many other things you want.

Residency can be like real estate in that location, location, location goes a long way to where you want to interview and wind up at.

Just apply to a whole bunch of programs. I applied to 35+. I cancelled about 20 interviews. It's much better to cancel interviews that you don't need than to be begging for interviews because you don't have enough.

Applying to programs is not the most expensive part of the residency-finding process.

Just make sure to cancel your interviews as soon as you know you're not going, so that you don't screw other people over.

Agree with everyone else. I'm fairly competitive, applied to 29 mostly East Coast and, with no history in the area at all, got 13 interviews.

If you're applying to away programs the SLORs and externship reviews really help.

Finally, have a good reason for wanting to go to a program and let them know. The vast majority of applicants apply because it's an easy click of the mouse. Programs want to interview interested applicants, not people trying to reach a magic number.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good point. doing it over would suck...

Now that i have a range of programs to apply to.. the question is how to narrow down to wich ones?

Having done some browsing, people say to spread out the choices.. ie: with a sprinkling of reach programs and a bunch of those that aren't as competitive... since there isn't a list of programs ranked by quality, how do we determine which are not as competitive? the biggest factor I could imagine is geographically.. so this begs the question: which locations are the least desired? Midwest? South East?

Since there's nothing to base "competitive" on but hearsay and geography, I suggest a different strategy - pick some geographical locations that interest you, then apply to a range of program "types". That's to say, apply to a bunch of county programs, a bunch of community programs, and a bunch of academic programs. You may think you know what you want, but you'd be surprised at how that can change. For all of the talk about how similar EM programs are due to the strict RRC (and they ARE similar in the fact that you will get great training at any of them), there is a huge difference in your experience between these three types. Check them out. For the majority, geography is the most important way to narrow down the list. I wouldn't worry about "competitive" vs "non-competitive", it's all in the eye of the beholder to an extent - if you apply to 30 programs in a few different locations you will almost certainly have a good mix just by default.

I have heard before that due to the stringent requirements of the RRC, most EM programs are quality.. however when looking at the EMRA residency site search, there is a section for "First time pass rate for ABEM written board exam among past 3 years of students", does this at all indicate the quality of the program?

Also, is it true that it is hard for a person in the east coast to get matched on the west if they have no ties there? (kinda like getting into a cali med school)

I would definitely consider board pass rates (oral and written) as important in evaluating parts of programs. However, I don't think the EMRA site is updated/accurate right now. For some reason several programs I looked at had lower board pass rates on that site. When I went to interview or inquired further, those listed numbers WERE NOT the case. So bottom line, I wouldn't EXCLUDE a program based solely on that information right now (especially the EMRA site), but I DO think it is a very important thing to ask about.

Side note- the SAEM webpage has a section for board pass rates on some programs. I've found this page has been overall more reliable/consistent than the EMRA webpage (especially the new EMRA page, although the new page looks nice and fancy:)). Some programs do not have their board rates listed on the SAEM web-page and you should inquire why. If my program's pass rates were awesome, I would advertise it!

Sorry for dragging this thread back from the dead.. but I guess I just had a followup question to the original post...

Is it possible to submit to X programs and then add more on later (if the interviews aren't rolling in), or is it better to add them all at once on the beginning. Granted $250/10 programs (over the 30 program mark) isn't a huge amount of money.. though it does make a big difference if I apply to 40 now vs. 70 of potential sites i have on my list.

Sorry for dragging this thread back from the dead.. but I guess I just had a followup question to the original post...

Is it possible to submit to X programs and then add more on later (if the interviews aren't rolling in), or is it better to add them all at once on the beginning. Granted $250/10 programs (over the 30 program mark) isn't a huge amount of money.. though it does make a big difference if I apply to 40 now vs. 70 of potential sites i have on my list.

Yes that is possible, but it probably is better to have more earlier than later. Earlier is better. And if you throw on a lot of applications last minute, the programs probably can figure out what you are doing, or think that you might not have your stuff together and are applying late.

I personally was paranoid of not matching (I had good step I, good letters, and good clinicals), but the match isn't a process to be over confident about. I'm not sure your stats, but maybe review them with with your advisor and get their advice on numbers and your competitiveness.

I'm glad this thread resurfaced as I was planning on digging it back up myself. Are there any other fourth years out there applying to less than 20 programs? It seems like all the posts I've seen so far are 30 - 40 + and it's starting to freak me out. I'm pretty much interested in one geographical area so I only applied to 15 programs. Can someone please tell me if I'm crazy so I can add a few more. And just for perspective - I'm from a state school, AOA, above ave step I, hopefully decent letters, two honors grades in EM rotations. Perhaps I just need someone to coddle me and tell me it'll be ok.

Last edited:
GatorEM, something tells me that you are fine as you have a very strong application. The reason I am applying to so many is because my grades are pretty darn average and my step 1 was below average. Hopefully i will redeem myself with step 2.

In anycase, I just want to alleviate any anxiety for applicants.. because if the new standard for good students becomes 30-40 programs, then I'm going to be very poor this year.

GatorEM, something tells me that you are fine as you have a very strong application. The reason I am applying to so many is because my grades are pretty darn average and my step 1 was below average. Hopefully i will redeem myself with step 2.

In anycase, I just want to alleviate any anxiety for applicants.. because if the new standard for good students becomes 30-40 programs, then I'm going to be very poor this year.

Thanks for the reassurance. I usually get annoyed when I see people with good stats sweating the small stuff, but I was starting to get the feeling that applying to less than 20 programs was dangerous regardless of the type of applicant.

Anyhow, Good luck with step II.

Thanks for the reassurance. I usually get annoyed when I see people with good stats sweating the small stuff, but I was starting to get the feeling that applying to less than 20 programs was dangerous regardless of the type of applicant.

Anyhow, Good luck with step II.

i feel the same way..i was told to apply to about 15 programs..im applying to 24....insecurity..lol

One or two quick words of advice:

Do not mistake quantity of application wiht quality of your applications.

What I mean by that is that the number is less important than making sure you apply WISELY.

You need to talk to someone about what you are competitive for and where you will live. If you apply to 20 highly competitive programs, you may not get any interviews.

What I generally advice people is to get a good general feel for where they are competitive for. The do a three tiered structure to apply to somewhere between 20-30 programs.

Top 5-10 (depending on competitiveness, etc) should be 'dream' places. Thos places that you might have a tiny shot in the dark at and that you would love to be at.

Next 15 or so should be those that you are on par with.

last 5 or so should be your 'psuedo back up'.. those few places that your grades etc will make you more comp than most applicants.

You are fortunate that you want to stay in ny area. there are tons of places that you could put into a tier like this.

Best of luck

I'd rather have to turn down interviews. I'm applying to 35. I was talking with a resident at Stanford who interviewed at 10 places and was very competitive, but they way things shook out, he didn't match and had to reapply. I DO NOT want to experience that. If I could get 15 interviews (and be able to afford to go), I would be pretty confident of matching. I certainly have my preferences of where I'd like to be and what would be best for my family, but the most important thing is to match in EM. Plus there are some very cool places to explore on the interview trail (knock on wood).

What I generally advice people is to get a good general feel for where they are competitive for. The do a three tiered structure to apply to somewhere between 20-30 programs.

Top 5-10 (depending on competitiveness, etc) should be 'dream' places. Thos places that you might have a tiny shot in the dark at and that you would love to be at.

Next 15 or so should be those that you are on par with.

last 5 or so should be your 'psuedo back up'.. those few places that your grades etc will make you more comp than most applicants.

Best of luck

I guess the key question is HOW do you determine how competitive a program is? Its relatively easy to pick out some of the more competiitve ones (ie: the ones that show up on everyones list that post to this forum!) but how do you know which would qualify as 'back up' locations?

Talk to people. You should talk to multiple people... residents, medical students, attendings.

Remember, SDN has a small focused group... :)

Search for "Matchitis Survey" and you'll find some data that may help.

By the way, we'll be running another survey on this year's applicants.