PA bridge to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bravofriendly

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm aware that there is currently an Army-Baylor sponsored program bridging PAs to Doctor of Science, Physician Assistant (DScPA). I had heard that there may be a Carribean program functioning to bridge PA to MD.

I did search previous threads for this discussion and found alot of debating the topic but not much info. This is not a troll post and I am not interested in arguing the merits (or otherwise), I really just wanted to know if anyone has any information or knowledge of such a program.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm aware that there is currently an Army-Baylor sponsored program bridging PAs to Doctor of Science, Physician Assistant (DScPA). I had heard that there may be a Carribean program functioning to bridge PA to MD.

I did search previous threads for this discussion and found alot of debating the topic but not much info. This is not a troll post and I am not interested in arguing the merits (or otherwise), I really just wanted to know if anyone has any information or knowledge of such a program.

Carib schools are niether LMCE nor AOA accredited. Lots of PAs go Carib route, but they do the whole med school thing from scratch.It would be a complete disaster with most States licensure if PAs or any other health professionals get an advanced academic standing.Being IMG/FMG is already a hurdle. I don't thing any "bridge: or a "tunnel" or what have you program is gonna fly. Even if it was possible academically, which I doubt a lot, just follow the money. There is no shortage of the applicants to med schools in U.S and Canada. Why would they "shave" at least 2 years of cold hard cash? What's in it for them? Despite premed idealism...med schools are business and must bring revenues. There you go :D. Just one man's opinion.

Baylor has already graduated several students from such a program. It is an Army-sponsored initiative to increase the number emergency medicine providers.

Members don't see this ad :)

This is not a MD program at Army Baylor

As far as any Caribbean schools doing this, it will not work, it is a scam since the states will take your license if get that far if they find out you got advanced placement for non medical school work.

They may accept you into Basic Science 1st year because you are a PA but you do the 4 years like the rest of us.

OP: I've given up waiting for a bridge program. None of the Caribbean "bridge" programs are believable and I agree that it would be an uphill climb to get a US residency (although it does happen). We already face enough of a stigma as PAs, I don't see any reason to intensify it.
Very unlikely to get any kind of a break in med school, although those who have gone before have been encouraging that prior knowledge/experience help a lot.
Forgot to mention, as you know, the Baylor program doesn't make a PA a doctor (of medicine), and it's only available for PAs who are already in the Army. IMO there's not much incentive in that since I'm not military and probably not likely to become so at 34.
Good luck
Lisa

OP: I've given up waiting for a bridge program. None of the Caribbean "bridge" programs are believable and I agree that it would be an uphill climb to get a US residency (although it does happen). We already face enough of a stigma as PAs, I don't see any reason to intensify it.
Very unlikely to get any kind of a break in med school, although those who have gone before have been encouraging that prior knowledge/experience help a lot.
Forgot to mention, as you know, the Baylor program doesn't make a PA a doctor (of medicine), and it's only available for PAs who are already in the Army. IMO there's not much incentive in that since I'm not military and probably not likely to become so at 34.
Good luck
Lisa

Theres more then a "Stigma" You see you have to attend medical school for 32 weeks a year for 4 years worth, this is checked on from time to time and certified by ECMFG. If a person cannot prove that they attended Medical School for the amount of time that the law states, the state they are licensed in will then pull the license, it has happened before in similar cases, this is real not a game.

Thats why you should go to schools WHO listed and have good track record

None of the schools that do any fast tracking or online or advanced placement are run in such a way that they will last, there are the true diploma Mills of the Caribbean.

The only case advanced placement is legit is when a Medical Student transfers from medical school to another.

I have respect for PA's but going to PA school is not going to Medical school, you have not attended medical school no matter where the PA school is and I do not want to debate the "Medical Students where in my class" stuff, It doesn't matter.

Thank you oldpro and primadonna for your candid information. It was precisely what I needed to know.

You're very welcome. I've had 3+ years to waver on this decision. Shoulda taken the plunge in 2005, would be halfway done by now!! :laugh: Ever a procrastinator....

Baylor has already graduated several students from such a program. It is an Army-sponsored initiative to increase the number emergency medicine providers.

No,there is no such a thing. Otherwise I would have taken advantage of it. Trust me, after being in the healthcare field for 2 decades I've learned a thing or two ;) Besides, You may owe an unGodly # of years to re-pay it. And I'm not sure You could take it elsewhere outside millitary. I certainly understand the urge for this bridge programs. Been there myself. But in it's practical application it's liable to create more problems than solutions. If You are already a PA put in the years for your MD or D.O. It will be no doubt somewhat easier for you than your premed counterparts fresh out of college.

Good Luck :luck:

No,there is no such a thing. Otherwise I would have taken advantage of it. Trust me, after being in the healthcare field for 2 decades I've learned a thing or two ;) Besides, You may owe an unGodly # of years to re-pay it. And I'm not sure You could take it elsewhere outside millitary. I certainly understand the urge for this bridge programs. Been there myself. But in it's practical application it's liable to create more problems than solutions. If You are already a PA put in the years for your MD or D.O. It will be no doubt somewhat easier for you than your premed counterparts fresh out of college.

Good Luck :luck:

No, this is not a "bridge" program. It is a doctoral program in PA studies, notably in emergency medicine. PAs who want to become a physician will always have to go to medical school to earn an MD. This is a postgrad program to enhance delivery of care with the absolute supervision of a doc.
Since most PAs now graduate with a master's upon graduation, this is just a step to recognize more intense work in a postgrad setting, which BTW is supervised and trained by EM docs....not PAs or others.

Mike

No, this is not a "bridge" program. It is a doctoral program in PA studies, notably in emergency medicine. PAs who want to become a physician will always have to go to medical school to earn an MD. This is a postgrad program to enhance delivery of care with the absolute supervision of a doc.
Since most PAs now graduate with a master's upon graduation, this is just a step to recognize more intense work in a postgrad setting, which BTW is supervised and trained by EM docs....not PAs or others.

Mike

I think PA's should have the power before Doctor of Nurse Practicioner to do unsupervised care with extra training since everyone wants the name doctor M.D.

Agreed Spreebee. PAs are trained in the medical model, and in my opinion are better equipped as a profession to take on patients

Last edited:
I think we need to rethink our model of medical education, in the sense that not all people come to med school with the same training. For example, I had a BS in biology and had already taken some classes like immunology that ended up being VERY similar to some of my 1st year medical school classes. I think it would have to be done very carefully, but I don't see why we couldn't in some way adapt 4 year med school programs so that the students could learn better. For example, if someone had years of experience as a PA or RN, they might not need the "intro to physical diagnosis" type sessions, just like I didn't really need to take a couple hours of immunology for several weeks and a test that was easier than my undergrad upper-level immunology course. Also, there might be people who would be ready for med school graduation 3-4 months early, and others who struggled more and might need an extra 5 months (instead of being failed out, etc.). This is sort of what happens with people getting PhD degrees. I would not have a problem with a PA getting some sort of advanced standing (not skipping 2-3 years of med school but I think could certainly skip the silly 1st year intro to physical exam course or "get to know seeing patients" type touchy feely stuff). I think people with MS or PhD degrees already in life sciences could potentially test out of certain subjects in 1st and maybe 2nd year, and use the time for research, or to practice seeing patients.

Normally I am a big traditionalist, but maybe we need to rethink some things, especially given the physician workforce shortage (in primary care, psych, etc.). It is really not that crazy given all the foreign medical grads we let in every year from India, etc. I'm not saying a lot of them aren't super smart and competent, but if you think about it many residency directors really don't know what these people have been taught, clinically, nor what their med school course work was like. All they have is some USMLE scores to base their judgment on.

I think PA's and NP's are not a bad thing and shouldn't necessarily be seen as a stepping stone to some other career or degree, but I'm sure some PA's could and should become excellent physicians.