Best State to Practice Podiatry???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msa786

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best state to practice podiatry?

Highest salary?
Most benefits?
Most number of patients?

I read somewhere that there is a demand for podiatrists in rural areas but wouldn't the number of patients showing up at your office be substantially lower as opposed to if you had your practice in the city where more people lived??

Just some random thoughts I think are of importance.

Members don't see this ad.

Those questions are impossible to answer.

..."highest salary" pods usually own their own practice and run it well. You can do that anywhere.
..."most benefits" again, depends on the hospital contract, not the state.
..."most number of patients" depends on the area. As a hypothetical, i
n Seattle, the Northwest program is there and it'd probably be very hard to compete with them since they are all generally quite good. However, if you drove 150 miles away, maybe the busiest DPM just retired and there's only a few pods who are grossly overbooked and having to turn away new patients. Hard to say.

Your thoughts make sense, but the questions are way too general to answer. Join your school's chapter of AAPPM and try to learn more.

If you're talking about highest salary, benefits, etc as a hired associate, then Cali Kaisers and other big health systems tend to pay pretty well and offer good benefits, but you need good residency training to be a competitive app for those spots. That won't just fall into your lap.

Those questions are impossible to answer.

..."highest salary" pods usually own their own practice and run it well. You can do that anywhere.
..."most benefits" again, depends on the hospital contract, not the state.
..."most number of patients" depends on the area. As a hypothetical, i
n Seattle, the Northwest program is there and it'd probably be very hard to compete with them since they are all generally quite good. However, if you drove 150 miles away, maybe the busiest DPM just retired and there's only a few pods who are grossly overbooked and having to turn away new patients. Hard to say.

Your thoughts make sense, but the questions are way too general to answer. Join your school's chapter of AAPPM and try to learn more.

If you're talking about highest salary, benefits, etc as a hired associate, then Cali Kaisers and other big health systems tend to pay pretty well and offer good benefits, but you need good residency training to be a competitive app for those spots. That won't just fall into your lap.

Could you please elaborate on that?