Work at home pharmacists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p-rog

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apparently there is such a thing. If anyone here has any info about how this works, where to find these jobs, where to find more info, or any details to share about your experience with one of these jobs, that would be awesome.

Members don't see this ad.

I know quite a few pharmacists in CA that do remote order entry. However, before I moved here I hadn't met a single person! Most of the pharmacists that I know actually worked at the hospital for some period of time and then for some reason was unable to continue coming to the hospital and made a deal with management to continue working for them via remote entry (for example- they had to move 3 hours away because there spouse got relocated or something along those lines)

Basically they log in, review and enter orders. Anything that needs clarification gets put back in the que for onsite pharmacists to take care of.

We have one off site pharmacist that never worked at the hospital I am at now. The was I understand it is that she works out of an office in LA where they contract out pharmacists to do this type of work. I have no idea how to get that type of job- but I know they are paid very well (rumor has it $95/hr!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently there is such a thing. If anyone here has any info about how this works, where to find these jobs, where to find more info, or any details to share about your experience with one of these jobs, that would be awesome.
Medco mail order does this but its not real well advertised.

Overnight remote pharmacy order entry for small hospitals. Virtually a graveyard position except you can work from home.

I'm currently a work@home pharmacist with Medco. There's 2 types really. Regional Formulary Pharmacists (which is what I am) where you basically call doctors and bug them to change whats on formulary or Mail Order Patient Acquistion pharmacists. Been doing it for over a year and yes its very nice to work at home in the pajamas with some freedom, but its still a regular job. I still work retail part time to get out there and see the patients and keep up to date on drug release and such.
I know people that absolutely love it and have been doing it since the program first started over 2 years ago and those that are on the fence about it (me being one of them).
Never hurts to try anything though to see if you like it.

I'm currently a work@home pharmacist with Medco. There's 2 types really. Regional Formulary Pharmacists (which is what I am) where you basically call doctors and bug them to change whats on formulary or Mail Order Patient Acquistion pharmacists. Been doing it for over a year and yes its very nice to work at home in the pajamas with some freedom, but its still a regular job. I still work retail part time to get out there and see the patients and keep up to date on drug release and such.
I know people that absolutely love it and have been doing it since the program first started over 2 years ago and those that are on the fence about it (me being one of them).

Just curios do they have that option for pharmacy tech's too or just pharmacist and how much would the starting salary be for those types of positions. Thanks for any info that you can give.

Express Scripts mail order also has at home pharmacists--just pharmacists, not technicians.

Just curios do they have that option for pharmacy tech's too or just pharmacist and how much would the starting salary be for those types of positions. Thanks for any info that you can give.

A work from home pharmacy tech.. how would they ever get enough applications to fill that job.:rolleyes:

Just curious... how did you find out about this job?

We've got several companies that have work from home jobs for pharmacists around here. Believe it or not, I think they often have trouble finding pharmacists because many people don't want to work at home. I had trouble believing that but someone told me that they liked to be able to leave work at work and not mix it with home.

Do you get paid lower than those that drive to work? Considering you don't have to rack up mileage or pay for gas.

Also is there an additional requirement such as BCPS or residency. I'm asking because there was a lady at my schools career fair from that said they prefer it. I am not sure now if she was talking about mail order rx or PBM.

Just curious... how did you find out about this job?

We've got several companies that have work from home jobs for pharmacists around here. Believe it or not, I think they often have trouble finding pharmacists because many people don't want to work at home. I had trouble believing that but someone told me that they liked to be able to leave work at work and not mix it with home.

Can you please give me the list/websites of companies?

How do you apply for a position like yours? Do you know of any others?

Members don't see this ad :)

Creighton students ...

I worked as an order entry tech last year at Medco in FL while waiting to get accepted and start classes at UF. They told me that the work-at-home pharmacists are mostly Order Review [rechecking what a tech like me has entered] and that these jobs are not available in Tampa. Some of the ones I know about are Columbus OH and Dallas TX, had not heard of Arizona before.

You have to show a perfect attendance record for quite a while [1 year?] before you can apply for work-at-home. There are no residencies or extra certifications required to start as a Medco RPh but those would not hurt either as they can afford to be very picky about new hires. 1 or 2 years of retail experience is required.

It is very high volume work; I typed about 2200 scrips a week. The OR pharmacists likely go 1.5 or 2x that fast. But no distractions, no phones ringing. Your performance is tracked very, very thoroughly.

Reactions: 1 user
There is a work at home program based out of Franklin Lakes, NJ. I worked as a tech with the program for a summer. Those pharmacists are really closely watched as they are on camera all the time. There is also a person hired to watch all of those cameras and make sure that there is no one in the room, you aren't sleeping, etc (all to comply with HIPPA rules). Some people love it b/c it gives them time to pick their kids up from school, some people are just night owls. But it's not for everyone.

Hi!

Can somebody fill me in some more on these at-home pharmacist positions. The more I find out about the type of job it is, the more sure I can be sure whether I really want it or not.

I live in New Jersey and have done a lot of searching and haven't been successful in finding any positions.

There are some in Arizona and I've been seeing Tennessee the past few days, but none on the East Coast that I can see. :(

I even signed up with a recruiter but they seem to be ignoring me for some strange reason.
Thanks!

Why Creighton students???????? Do they know more about this than the rest of us???????

Why Creighton students???????? Do they know more about this than the rest of us???????

people who are doing creighton's online program may be more apt to want to work these kind of positions

I would think anyone who doesn't like standing on their feet all day and dealing with a-holes would find the idea appealing, but that's just me :D

I've heard this can be done with certain "drug information" jobs as well but would really like more info. I'm not even sure how to search for this kind of thing?

people who are doing creighton's online program may be more apt to want to work these kind of positions

I'm a P3 Creighton distance student. While we work online the majority of our time, I don't necessarily think that we are more apt to work online - but maybe so? I personally would be interested in a job as such, but right now I do enjoy working with patients directly (what I do as a hospital tech/Intern).

Im a work at home pharmacist.

PBM's and Pharma companies hire for these positions.

The gist of it is to have a pharmacists in the region to consult with their respective clients.

I fortunately don't have to be monitored like other companies, but I end up working long hours some times.

Hello,
I am a pharmacist in Illinois and would like to find work from home opportunities other than CVS Caremark. Anyone knows of places in Illinois or out of state hiring for work at home w/o relo?
Thank you guys:)

I did a rotation at Caremark in Northbrook. They allowed some of the employees to work from home a certain number of days, 2-3, per week.
I do not know if they have a work at home program at Mt. Prospect, though.

I am interested in finding a work from home position in California.
I've seen several posts from other states, but does anyone know of a company hiring in California?

Walgreens has piloted this in the recent past, I believe. The RPh is paid 80% of the store RPh's salary and has a quota to meet - the company's way of making sure you're not just screwing off.
I have 10 more years with the company til I hit my "age 55+25 years with the company" (I'll have 30 years with them by then) requirement to keep my medical plan. I might consider it then, if it's a reality. Hell, I might consider it sooner since my alimony to the ex is paid off in 3 more years and the new Mrs. will have her Nurse Practitioner license ... so I can start to take it easier.

I just completed a rotation for Humana, and they have a pharmacist position called RxMentor in which pharmacists can conduct MTMs over the phone from home. Humana's home base is in Louisville, but the RxMentor that I talked to was based in Jacksonville, FL and she told me that her team was all over the country and that they have staff meetings via webcam and conference calling since they are so widespread. From what I gathered by talking to her it seemed like a great way to still have patient interaction, show clinical knowledge, and remain in the comfort of your own home!

Hi! I will answer the question about the home pharmacist. I work for Baptist Hospital in Memphis, TN. The location I work at is particularity a private Hospital for private patients. I am a Pharmacist who comes on on random days such as Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays. My work schedule is from 8:45am-4:30pm when I work them days. On Tuesday's and Thursday's, I work from home. I write and order prescriptions for my patients, and I fill out any paper work on my employees on these days also. I love the flexible schedule!

Express Scripts mail order also has at home pharmacists--just pharmacists, not technicians.

ANY work at home job will be a dream come true.

I'm a pharmacist and I get to work from home. I work for a healthcare IT company. With the tech knowledge I learned from there (working with programmers and software developers) I also built/am building and run my own drug information website that brings in additional income. I build the website on my own time... it's what I do as my side gig in place of signing up with a registry or staffing agency for weekend moonlighting gigs.

The jobs are out there... you just have to look past all the "big box" companies to find them.

Last edited:
Walgreens has piloted this in the recent past, I believe. The RPh is paid 80% of the store RPh's salary and has a quota to meet - the company's way of making sure you're not just screwing off.
Work at home is actually fully underway with the Walgreens POWER program in FL and AZ.

Work at home is actually fully underway with the Walgreens POWER program in FL and AZ.

I love this thread. Makes me feel good about picking the pharmacy profession. I am willing to work for 80K a year if its at home. LOL... And I thought POWER is a bad thing...if it allows people to work at home then its a blessing! :laugh:

I love this thread. Makes me feel good about picking the pharmacy profession. I am willing to work for 80K a year if its at home. LOL... And I thought POWER is a bad thing...if it allows people to work at home then its a blessing! :laugh:

im with you 100%. but i somehow doubt power is coming to rural areas

im with you 100%. but i somehow doubt power is coming to rural areas

You should move to the cities then...oh come on, you know it will be FUN! :D Mail order + stay at HOME + in a BIG city = FUN! :thumbup:

but only making $80K in a big city? No money for fun.

but only making $80K in a big city? No money for fun.

Thats when the husband (the actual breadwinner) comes in the picture. :) Plus mail order jobs pay almost the same as retail, around 100K at least...but I really hate dealing with people, so if someone offer me a job in mail order I am willing to take it for 80K a year that how much I hate the public.

80K is a respectable salary. I know big cities are expensive, but you can still live comfortably, and dare I say, lavishly, with such a salary.

hmm, one benefit of work at home is that you DON'T have to live in a big city. You can practically live anywhere with an internet connection, as long as you keep a current pharmacist license in the required state.

I would love to work from home. Does this company regularly hire pharmacists for this type of position? From what I hear it is rare.

Thats when the husband (the actual breadwinner) comes in the picture. :) Plus mail order jobs pay almost the same as retail, around 100K at least...but I really hate dealing with people, so if someone offer me a job in mail order I am willing to take it for 80K a year that how much I hate the public.

I think probably most of the people in health care feel the same way. I know of 2 preceptors who chose pharmacy NOT because they liked people. So of course they bullsh*tted during their interviews to get in. Actually, one of them didn't even need an interview. When he arrived they told him he was in because of his GPA and they spent the next half hour talking about random stuff. This is at one of the top pharmacy schools in the country, too.

What's interesting is the hypocrisy involved. To get in, you have to say something along the lines of "I care about people", but once you're in it doesn't matter anymore why you're actually there. If you don't want to deal with the public, their advisers will still help you find a career path that would fit you rather than throwing you out of the program for getting in under false pretenses. And I'm pretty sure just about EVERYONE who is involved in the selection process know this.

Thats when the husband (the actual breadwinner) comes in the picture.
How could you demand that your husband be more successful than you? That doesn't seem fair or equal. What if his earning power is more or less the same as yours?

Anyone have more information on this I would greatly appreciate it. Is there any way to do this part time on your own hours to make some cash on the side when you are home?

I think probably most of the people in health care feel the same way. I know of 2 preceptors who chose pharmacy NOT because they liked people. So of course they bullsh*tted during their interviews to get in. Actually, one of them didn't even need an interview. When he arrived they told him he was in because of his GPA and they spent the next half hour talking about random stuff. This is at one of the top pharmacy schools in the country, too.

What's interesting is the hypocrisy involved. To get in, you have to say something along the lines of "I care about people", but once you're in it doesn't matter anymore why you're actually there. If you don't want to deal with the public, their advisers will still help you find a career path that would fit you rather than throwing you out of the program for getting in under false pretenses. And I'm pretty sure just about EVERYONE who is involved in the selection process know this.

How could you demand that your husband be more successful than you? That doesn't seem fair or equal. What if his earning power is more or less the same as yours?

THANK YOU!!!! However, I am too blunt! :laugh: I like to say whatever is on my mind, instead of whatever sounds the best!!! My mouth will always get me into trouble I know it! :laugh: :oops: All my friends tell me," damn you are so honest!" My parents tell me, you are too honest, which is a good thing, but it can sometimes hurt you too...

I know I should say I love dealing with people, customers are always right, everyone is nice, retail pharmacy is like heaven, I don't mind getting cuss out by a patient as long as they get their RX striaghten out, I don't mind being disrespected, etc. etc. but its just NOT true! :laugh: And I always get flame on here b/c I don't say **** that everyone wants to hear. :rolleyes:

People want to hear **** like, "I LOVE helping people...I get cuss out everyday at the drive thru and I LOVE it b/c I helped someone today!" :barf:its so fake that I want to puke just typing it! :laugh:

Anyone have more information on this I would greatly appreciate it. Is there any way to do this part time on your own hours to make some cash on the side when you are home?

I would love to work from home. Does this company regularly hire pharmacists for this type of position? From what I hear it is rare.

Working from home is rare! I did my research on this...I have talked to 3 mail order pharmacists and they all say that working from home always goes to people that have proven themselves to be hardworking and trustworthy...most people will NOT get a work at home job as their first job, but if they work for a mail order company for a long time and have proven themselves (doing their work, coming to work on time, not skipping work, seniority, etc) then they get to work from home. There is always a waiting list of people who wants to work from home, so it can take years to get off the waiting list...but working at a mail order pharmacy is not that bad...You can bring in your IPOD! :D

THANK YOU!!!! However, I am too blunt! :laugh: I like to say whatever is on my mind, instead of whatever sounds the best!!! My mouth will always get me into trouble I know it! :laugh: :oops: All my friends tell me," damn you are so honest!" My parents tell me, you are too honest, which is a good thing, but it can sometimes hurt you too...

I know I should say I love dealing with people, customers are always right, everyone is nice, retail pharmacy is like heaven, I don't mind getting cuss out by a patient as long as they get their RX striaghten out, I don't mind being disrespected, etc. etc. but its just NOT true! :laugh: And I always get flame on here b/c I don't say **** that everyone wants to hear. :rolleyes:

People want to hear **** like, "I LOVE helping people...I get cuss out everyday at the drive thru and I LOVE it b/c I helped someone today!" :barf:its so fake that I want to puke just typing it! :laugh:
If you are this real in the real world and are doing this well, then congratulations. I had to fake my *ss off to get to where I am since the real me pisses people off too much. I never had to suck up to anyone yet, but I do like to take advantage of the kindness of strangers.

Stupid question, but were you this blunt when asking for letters of recommendation? "I need a letter for pharmacy. Oh, dental? Forget that, I don't like people." Were you this blunt during your interview? If you were and you still got in...