Disadvantaged Before Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neuronix

Total nerd
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My name is Eric, I'm an MD/PhD student at Penn, and I have been a volunteer moderator on SDN for almost 6 years. The reason I continue to volunteer here is because I come from a very disadvantaged background. All of my friends growing up and all of my family are now dead, in jail, still dealing, or had several kids as teenagers. I am the exception.

If you want to read more about me, see: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/blog.php?b=1212.

Most of my life I have been given poor and and often completely wrong advice from those who were supposed to be my advisors. Encouragement was always in short supply, if any was ever given at all. Fortunately, SDN was here for me. I don't think I would be where I am without the advice on SDN. The discussions, information, and people on this website have been some of the most important in my life. This is why I am happy to contribute, and I feel that assisting those in starting their own careers is far more important than other types of volunteering I could be doing.

I may seem like I'm well settled these days, but I started lurking on the SDN forums in 2000. In 2002 I made my first post here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=3886

I was a neurotic pre-med. I didn't know what I was doing and this fueled how neurotic I was. This means that no matter how neurotic or odd your question may seem, I will try to answer it honestly without any personal judgements or criticism you may get in pre-allo.

I've tried to seek out those who were also disadvantaged, but want to make a change in their life. You can't drag people to do this, and I would never want to. By being on SDN and reading this post, you have made one of many steps towards a career in medicine. If you have questions for someone like me because you had a strange life situation or are making a career change, I'm here to lend my advice. I know you're rare, and you probably feel rare. I did. I've tried to find these types of people at the undergrad attached to my top medical school, and failed miserably. Still, I know you're out there. Let me know what questions you have either by posting here or by PM (preferably both) and I'll post the replies here.

Oh, and one final note. If you spend any time on SDN, you'll quickly notice a pattern where students use SDN to get into medical school and/or residency, but then typically leave without sharing the precious, gained wisdom. I encourage all of you to be the exceptions to that someday too.

Members don't see this ad.

As aspirants to the medical profession, we all face a highly challenging journey. The path I've chosen is especially challenging, let me give you a rundown of my situation:

First, I do not have my high school diploma. I've only received my GED. I'm also much older than most people are who decide to take this path, turning 24 this year. I've decided to finally pursue my dream, that being the field of psychology, specifically psychiatric practice. Partially because I've been told it's too challenging for me, and I love both meeting a challenge and proving people wrong, and partially because I'm ready to accomplish something that I can look back upon with pride.

So now that you know my motivation, the challenges follow naturally. I'm researching various methods to fund my schooling, doing plenty of pre-planning to assure as smooth a process as it possibly can be.(about as smooth as 80 grit sandpaper, I'm sure) Keeping my eyes on the goal, not losing sight of the big picture, and of course making myself appealing to universities. Like I said, my struggles are different from your average medical student.

What I'm really looking for here is support, a guiding hand, and maybe some advice from someone who's gone through the same process as I have, however rare success coming from a position such as mine may be.

So I come here in humility, seeking guidance from those who've trodden this path before, seeking help. Anything you've got for me, I'm not to proud to take :)

Thanks, friends

Hello there,

I'm glad that your post was referred to me. I think you have the right attitude going into this. I can only think of two pieces of complementary advice for you.

1) Your background will be an advantage in admissions, not a disadvantage. If you can write a good story about it and convince people you've overcome something, you become a stronger candidate. This is both because you bring diversity to a professional program that is likely full of first generation immigrant or upper-class background students and also because some people can appreciate that it's harder when you are entirely self-motivated.

2) Don't expect any other handouts. Sure, you can write about this on your essays and talk about it when asked at interviews. But otherwise, stay focused and keep your grades as close to a 4.0 as possible. You'll probably have to forego some of the comforts that students with family money or who work more jobs get to have. You may have to work harder in your classes since you didn't have the prep schooling. That's ok. Keep grades high. If that means taking less classes per semester to do it, then do it.

Of course also most people will not be able to identify with you. Try to keep your background to yourself as much as possible and try to fit in as much as possible. That's my advice anyway. You don't need to hide anything, but don't bring it up unless asked. It seems to make many people uncomfortable to know my background, so most don't know about it.

In the end, adcoms will care about your GPA and exam scores first above all other things. Maximize them, come with a great story, and you will be in good shape.

Another poster writes into ask:

1) Tell me more about the mental illness aspect of the application. My guess is adcoms will look down on it?

Not at all. Physicians are in a position to know that mental illness is only weakly genetic. Also that most types of severe mental illness are going to manfest before you go applying to medical school. It's only the uninformed or the prejuidicial who will try to look down on you for having mental illness in your family. Further, adcoms tend to be the touchy, feely physicians within medicine and they're the types that are most likely to identify with you. I wouldn't be ashamed or try to hide it from adcoms.

2) Unfortunately I was the victim of childhood sexual abuse. Should I put this on my application?

That's a sticky subject. It's hard to say for sure. I'm not sure you really need to mention it, but if you did you could just say abuse without further specification. This way you don't make the reviewer feel at all awkward.

3) Also, I was a social outcast/reject for about 3-4 years. I stayed in my house playing MMORPGs during that time, rarely making trips outside. This carries a heavy social stigma, should I also include this on my application?

Emphasize the positives on your application. Your family having illness and you not having a good environment growing up is something you couldn't help. That's something that you've overcome. At the worst someone can feel neutral about it, and at the best someone can identify with you or give you bonus points in admissions for being disadvantaged. There's no reason not to talk about these sorts of issues.

However, at some point in your life you chose to spend most of your time playing video games. That was your choice, regardless of what came before it. People can and will likely look critically at that if you mention it. Thus, I would not.

Why do you feel the need to bring this up? Are there serious poor marks on your record that you feel the need to explain? If so, chalk it up to other things out of your control, or chalk it up to personal depression that you've moved on from. But in all honesty, remember that you are a salesman for yourself. Sell yourself. If you don't need to bring that stuff up, DON'T. Don't point out the negative aspects in your essays. Let the adcoms dig out the negatives and you can explain them in interviews.

Thanks in advance for all of your wonderful advice and help.

I'm always glad I can help. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I found your post in the mentor section of SDN and thought about messaging you. I can relate to your backround. I too grew up poor. Dropped out of school, child of a single mother... No family support or leader to follow... As a result, I had to raise myself... I got my GED soon as I turned 18 and actually got a perfect score...At that time I was homeless... Guess thats not important...

Since a child, ive always wanted to be a doctor... Friends thought i was crazy... Some even told me to just be a nurse... That didn't change my mind tho. After I received my GED I signed up for college... I worked full time and went to school full time... I had no choice since i was homeless and needed funds to take care of myself...

Greetings! I am happy to help.

Your financial situation has to be solved by loans. Max out your stafford sub loans immediately, and then take out unsubsidized loans if you need to. I hope you're going to a public institution with reasonable tuition, or it may not be a bad idea to switch if you have another 4-year option that is much cheaper.

It was hard for me to fund my first two years of college and so I went part-time for the first year, so I empathise. The truth is if you do have a very low EFC (mine was 0 for most of college) and you pull high grades, money should follow. But if it isn't, take the loans you need and just bite that bullet. If financial aid isn't giving you what you need, meet with someone higher up in financial aid (like an assistant dean) and give them your story and tell them finances are a significant problem for you.

One thing I've noticed about lower-income applicants is that we're very debt averse. We tend to make poor choices to avoid debt. Working so hard that you get poor grades as a result is a poor choice. I've seen others take a higher credit load, but not get a great GPA because it will make college shorter or because it's free after so many credits. This is also a poor choice. Many also do things like sign up for the military, which I also find to be a poor choice if you're going to medical school, unless you are gung ho about military for some reason to begin with. Don't fall into these traps!!!

I was similar in this regard, but now I've come around to the fact that you need to spend money to make money in our society. Take the loan money and focus on your education! Your grades are the #1 most important thing for you to get into medical school.

Ive done this for over a year, but now that I am able to stand on my two feet, my grades became weak this past semester... I failed my intro to chemistry class and my intro to algebra class which has me kinda down... I thought to myself, how can I be a doctor if I cant even pass intro classes... I worked about 45 hours a week while taking 5 classes... I was a fool...

That's really bad. You need to change things around ASAP. The average GPA for someone going to medical school is 3.5, or an equal amount of As and Bs. Those Fs will stay on your transcript for allopathic schools and can not be replaced. You are not doomed of course, as a bad start to college will be overlooked if your final GPA is reasonable and you have an upward trend. But you need to turn things around NOW. Really critically evaluate yourself and your mistakes and promise yourself you will get all As in the future. I threw away my social life in undergrad, and that's kind of devotion we have to have to be successful.

I'm not sure why you might be having such difficulty. I mean I could speculate, but I don't know you well enough to really say. Is it because the course material is difficult for you? If so, there are often free resources you can take advantage of at your school. Lighten your course load to as minimal as it can be to be a full time student while you make your turn around, or for that matter, for the rest of college perhaps.

Things like course load, difficulty of courses (outside of pre-med requirements), prestige of undergrad... They mean practically nothing for medical school admissions. Those raw GPA and MCAT numbers are the most important!

Some brief info about me... Ive worked as a lab assistant as well as a specimen tech in a microbiology lab for many years... I've also done research for 2 summers... Work in an ER as a financial counselor, volunteered with the homeless and teaching youth how to read... Im pretty sure I would impress any acdom that met me.... What do you think?

Your extracirriculars sound good. But I need to impress upon you that these things are meaningless for allopathic schools unless you have a certain GPA and MCAT to back them up. The GPA and MCAT get your foot in the door, and then they start evaluating you as a person. Start getting As. Drop extracirriculars if you need to until you feel comfortable getting As in everything.

I hope I've answered your questions, but feel free to get back in touch if you need more advice!

Responses from last poster:

I will be making an appointment with one of the financial counselor deans at my school to explain my situation and see what they will be able to do for me.

It's not the material that's difficult, it's the issue of me not being able to dedicate much time to it. I would be unable to see my teachers during his or her office hours for one on one tutoring. I also never really got much sleep, so in turn, my grades fell.

So im trying to find out what would work best for me by getting advice from people who did what worked best for them...

You simply need enough loans to cover basic cost of living so you don't have to work. These loans should be available to you. Also, I would recommend trying to get over to your four year public university as soon as possible, at least for the majority of your medical school pre-requisite courses.

I wanted to post this new private message conversation, of course with identifying information removed and the PMer's permission.

First of all, I'm so glad that I had a fortunate chance to read your post. Because my situation is so similar to yours, I almost teared while I was reading.
I came to America(Georgia) after I graduated from Korean high school and spent a year for volunteer work at habitat for humanity. Then, I went to a community college in Macon, GA. I didn't do very well, but didn't do poor in college work except English class, which I made C.
During that time, I had to work at restaurant. After 1 and half year, I transferred to Emory university. I still don't know how I got into it, but I can tell you I was lucky.
While I was in Emory, the school work compared to the community college was too much I had to spend most of time to study and English was the biggest problem for me. Other than study, I did volunteer work at a hospital and I tried to do shadowing and contacted doctors in school, but I rarely got a chance. Fortunately, my school started clinical research class in my senior year for the first time, so I did that and it's my only clinical research.
I graduated from Emory last year like you, and studied for mcat last summer, but after graduation, I was burnt out and didn't do well on mcat. More importantly, I didn't know why I want to be a doctor since I aimlessly tried to have good gpa while I was in school.
So I decided to take another year off and am studying for mcat and preparing for application thinking about my personal statement.
After I didn't do well on my mcat and see a lot of classmates who have really good gpa and mcat score, I've been depressed and lost hope to apply to medical schools.
But after your application, I earned hope from you.

This is my story jotted down. And I hope you read this as well.

I lived with my grandmother since I was born. Because my mother were away in a bigger city to make money and send it to us. After my grandmother was passed away, when I was 7, I started to live with my mother. At that time, it was a little strange since I had never lived with my mother. We moved to the city she worked. As I became 13, I worked for a living since the money my mother was making wasn't enough to buy us food. I delivered milks and newspapers every morning except for Sundays. So I had to wake up at 4:30AM. Aftter working, I straightly went to school. We also moved our places so many times to find some place to live and stay.(I think it's about 10 times for 6 years). Some years we experienced homelessness, so we had to stay at a place where my mother worked.
At the beginning of high school, 2001, we were given Korean federal(national) assistance which gave us a place to live and more stipend(about $200/month), and it made our lives much better than before. However, I realized that with this situation, my mother couldn't support me to go to college that she eagerly wanted me to do. If I had gone to college, she had to find another job or she'd be in financial trouble. So I decided to see my father of whom I heard that he lived in US. Moreover, I decided to go to college in US only if he would support me.
It took 3 years to process to get permission to enter US with visa.
In 2004 Jan 27(I still remember this date!!) I came to Georgia, US. And I met my father for the first time. I also met my step-mother and half-sister. Then, I went to habitat for Humanity that year for Spring to Summer, and went to a community college to get used to class in English. I took 2 classes, but I don't have grades on them since I audited these classes. It was good experience though.
2005, I went back to Korea to help my mother with her financial problems. I had to work there for 6 months.
I came back again started a real college life in Fall 2005. I took classes but I made 3.35 with C on English class. Since this semester, I went to a hospital for volunteer works. And then I made 3.8 and 3.8 on the next 2 semesters averaging 3.7 and transferred to Emory University. In Emory, I made 3.714 for the first semester. But I didn't do well on the next semester 3.4 with B- on neuroscience class. So I decided to major in neuroscience because I wanted to do well and actually became interested in brain. I started research since my junior year because my community college doesn't have a lab. And I finished my last semester of junior with 3.85 with 6 classes. And I made 3.85 and 3.7 in my senior year. I also got scholarship during this year and had a class which is clinical research.

Summer after freshmen I took summer class. Sophomore year I went to Korea to work again but I did volunteer work there(tutoring). junior year I stayed at Emory for research since I started research pretty late, so I needed to make up for that.

After graduation, I came back home and did volunteer work. Also, with my friends I founded tutoring system or program which invited students to a Korea church in order to teach SAT and whatever they need for their school works. The reason I did was I realized a lot of kids of the first generation of immigrants stayed home after school. Because their parents have to work till late night, they are all alone at home that is illegal for really young kids, but the parents have to do for a living or bring their kids to their work place which isn't appropriate.

I'm sorry about this incoherent message because I just wrote it down whatever I could think of.

So that's almost everything I did in college. I tried to write down to give you some information. But if you have more questions about my stat and give advices. Please please let me know.

I respect your assistance to help students with application process. It's been hard to find someone like you.

Thank you

Hello,

From the looks of things you have a respectable undergraduate GPA (what's your overall GPA?) and you need to retake the MCAT. Get at least a 30. Do you have a US green card or citizenship? If it's possible for you to get that before applying to med school it will help you both obtain acceptance and financial aid.

Med schools don't care that much about disadvantaged status. To them you are an asian, not underrepresented, your English isn't great, and if you don't have asian-caliber stats, you don't stand much chance. This is further hampered if you are not a US citizen or permanent resident. It's clear that your American English isn't fluent from your PM, and any way you can improve this will help you in any career you choose in the US, besides improving your MCAT score.

Otherwise it looks like your extracirriculars are reasonable. What other questions do you have?

Good luck,
Eric

I added in my grades to AMCAS GPA calculator, then, I got Total 3.72 BCPM 3.80 AO 3.68. I think that GPAs are kind of lower than my classmates' GPAs since all of them have 3.8 or 3.9. So I have to do well on MCAT which is my last option.

As for citizenship and a green card, it's been 5 years having a green card since my father became a US citizen. That's why I'm having a little bit of hope to get into medical schools.

And do you recommend anything to improve on English in reading and writing?

Furthermore, I want to hear how you studied for MCAT.

And do you really think I rarely have a chance to get into med schools? I'm worried a lot.

And what's the difference b/w underrepresented and disadvantaged? Am I disadvantaged?

I don't know so much and thank you for your time.

Your GPA is reasonable. I'm not worried about that. The better you do on the MCAT of course the better off you will be. You want to be aiming for at least the average by the AAMC data for your race to be safe. See the asian catagory in the tables here:

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table19-mcatpgaraceeth09-web.pdf

I am relieved to hear that you have a green card. I'm sorry though that being a native English speaker I really don't what to recommend when it comes to improving your English skills.

I took the MCAT in 2002 and I scored a 37. I took The Princeton Review's (TPR) course and did all of the materials they gave me. I thought practice questions were very helpful for me. I spent 3 hours a day studying for 3 months (i.e. each day I either had 3 hours of class OR studied at least 3 hours) over the summer while I worked full-time. I did a full practice exam every weekend. I was never much of a morning person, so two weeks before the exam I would get up very early every morning, go to the library, and do a full VR practice section. It used to be that VR was the first section at 8AM, but I don't know if that changed? I think one key is that I was scoring in the low to mid 30s on my practice tests before the actual exam. Do not take the exam unless you are doing this well. Postpone and study more if you are not there.

Underrepresented in medicine describes a group of races where the percentage of physicians of that race is less than the percentage of the population. See :http://www.aamc.org/meded/urm/start.htm . Medical schools think very broadly (and IMO stupidly) about this topic. Since you are Korean, you are Asian, and asians are very overrepresented within medicine.

About disadvantaged, see this: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=1003321&postcount=2

I think you would qualify as disadvantaged certainly, but there is no strict definition I'm aware of. Some medical schools care about disadvantaged status and others don't. There are no statistics on whether being disadvantaged helps one get into medical school. In my case, I think my disadvantaged status got me into a bigger name medical school and got me a few additional acceptances, but that's only because it was combined with a high GPA and MCAT score and an otherwise strong application. Even if I was not disadvantaged, I would have been able to get into a strong medical school, and this is what you should be aiming for to maximize your chances of success.

Whether you get an interview or not will depend on your story, how well you can convey that story on your application, and if the admissions committee members are sympathetic to your plight enough that it either makes up for other shortcomings on your application or just makes your application stand out so much that they want to accept you. It becomes a very random and arbitrary process then based on who reads and interprets your application, but to maximize your chances of success you of course want to make yourself shine in every way you can control (essays, LORs, MCAT score, etc).

I'll keep in mind your MCAT tips, and do you have any advice for writing personal statement?
I tried to put every important incidents in my life into PS, but it seemed it'll be too much for 5000 characters. So I've been gathering those incidents relevant to the question of why medicine.

My advice for your personal statement is to have people critique. I do not do personal statement reading/editing anymore myself. But you should have English majors/writers review it for clarity and grammar, as well as med school advisors read it for medical school topics.

I want to apply as a disadvantaged student given the fact that I grew up in Latin America where poverty was rampant. I came to the US and continued to live in poverty. I was a victim of a violent crime at one point. My dad suffered from some kind of mental illness and was always a negative influence in every way possible.

My questions are 2: 1. How do schools want you to "prove" that you grew up poor? I don't know if I'll be able to get documents from Central America even if they exist, but I could get affidavits from family members that helped us or sign one myself if necessary. 2. I suffer from Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. I have nearly no symptoms at all now that I've received proper medication. Will this hinder my application? Should I hide it? It played it a huge role as to one of the many difficulties I had to overcome.

If you are now a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you are a URM. Being of latin origin and speaking Spanish fluently will make your application very competitive as long as the GPA, MCAT, and other application factors are up to snuff.

1. There is never any proof when you apply disadvantaged. You state in your disadvantaged essay (and perhaps on your PS as well) why you think you're disadvantaged, and that's about all there is to it. Over the years they have had some questions on AMCAS to try to gauge how disadvantaged you were growing up, but I'm not sure if they're on there any more. Regardless, unless you ask for a fee waiver, there's no proof involved.

The most adcoms will do is ask semi-detailed questions at interview time. If you know your own story well, you can answer those sorts of questions honestly and easily.

2. I think the answer to this question varies will depend on who you ask. My gut feeling would be not to include it. Mental illness is still stigmatized enough that some adcoms may feel you have a chance of dropping out out of medical school or out of medicine later if they know you have had these problems. Personally, I think that's unfair, but that's how I see it.

Generally, I would not talk about any personal mental health issues. Obviously there may be exceptions to this--such as extreme situational issues that have since resolved. Family mental health (and usually other health) issues are better to talk about on essays. They're only weakly genetic, and the serious ones would usually manifest by our age.

As we all do I have a story of my own and will try to make it quick, I am 24 in my last semester as a undergraduate and will finish with a 2.9 GPA with a B.A. in Health and Nutrition. Previously, I decided to do nursing because I knew I loved medicine ultimately transferring to another school. While doing nursing, I was working two jobs and doing clinical in my junior and got totally burned out leaving my old school in 2006 with F’s and a 2.3 GPA. I managed to get into another school not looking at the programs offered, only the fact that this was a school my aunt graduated from. I knew my heart was in medicine, so I decided to major in Health and Nutrition because I thought this was the best route to take at the time. Still confused about the direction I should go, I met with an pre-med advisor of the school I transferred to who told me I was not good enough to go into medicine, from then I lost my confidence and just wanted to finish my degree and would hopefully figure out which direction for me was best. Not until recently did I realize that it was crazy of me to allow someone’s opinion dictate my future, even though I allowed my grade to slip I soon believe I deserved and was good enough to go into the field of medicine. Every time I am at a doctor’s office, no matter if it is for a dentist or to see my primary care physician, I feel at home and I’m reassured medicine and helping other is where my heart is.
I am at a crossroad because I am not sure which direction I should go at this point…
1.) I was looking into going to PA school because of my grades and the time.
or
2.) Looking at my options for Medical School, I’m not sure what to do.
I do have some science classes I have taken, but not enough to take the MCAT. I am not sure if it is wise to go into a post baccalaureate program because my GPA does not meet medical school requirements. I am hoping you are able to give me some advice as to what may be my best option at this point.
Thank you in advance and I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

I don't know anything about PA school and PA admissions. I have noticed that the GPAs required tend to be on the order of lower tier medical schools, but I would recommend if you really are interested in PA talking to someone who knows more about that than I. So I will talk about medical school admissions.

This is a hard one to get you in, but almost anything is possible with enough dedication. Your GPA is very low, is not showing an upward trend, was even worse in nursing, and you're finishing undergrad which means new grades won't dent your GPA a lot. If you really want to go to med school and recognize it's going to be an uphill battle, here's my advice.

1) Do a post-bacc unofficially. Stick around your undergrad and take courses part-time as med school prereqs. This is much cheaper than an official post-bacc and often less competitive. DEDICATE YOURSELF. Do not spread yourself thin like you have in the past. Only take 2 pre-med requirements at a time even if that ends up taking you two years. Get As in all of them. Consider repeating some courses you did poorly in in the past and getting better grades. DO programs will toss out the old grades.

2) Destroy the MCAT. Take a prep course, set aside plenty of time to prepare for it, and make sure your practice exam scores are 35+ before you take the MCAT.

3) Get your GPA up to at least a 3.0 before applying if possible. Then apply broadly for medical school when the time is right. I would apply mostly DO and maybe some state and lower tier allopathic schools. Again if you can repeat your worst classes and get As in them, get As in the pre-med requisites, and do very well on the MCAT (35+), you have a chance. This will take a few years of effort, however, and you may have to apply multiple years to get in.

Also, don't forget about getting some shadowing/volunteering and solid LORs.

Good luck!

Best of luck to you. :)

Just about anyone with enough determination can get into medical school. A word of caution, though. The path to admission will be long and expensive. And, as stated previously, it may take multiple years. Add onto that, 4 or possibly 4+ years of medical school, then residency and fellowship and you may realize this might not be worth it. Had I known I would have ended up loving a specialty that's costing me 6 years of post-graduate training, I would probably have done something else with my life. The years really add up: 4 years undergrad, 4 years med school, 6 years residency/fellowship. Fourteen years post high school. My conclusion is that it's not really worth it but once you're in, you're locked. I'm not exactly unhappy or anything, but I just think it's too many years of training and people don't often account for the years of post-graduate training involved. FYI, earlier in the year I was paging a fellow. At our hospital, the online "pagerbox" system shows your name, department, and post-graduate year #. There was a poor guy who was a PGY-11. 11!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.