Favorite anesthesia jokes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

error404

file not found
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interviews are over and all that's left is making a list, checking it twice, and opening an envelope that decides our fates.So, anyone heard any good ones on the trail?

My favorite so far:

A cardiac anesthesiologist is flying across the country for a conference, when a flight attendant comes running down the aisle, shouting, "Is anyone on board a cardiac anesthesiologist?!?!"

The anesthesiologist raises his hand and announces his presence, and asks what the problem is, and whether anyone is sick.

"Oh, no, no one's sick, but there's a cardiac surgeon up in first class who needs his table adjusted."

(I think this is funny. But I also married a surgeon.)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
So Jeff and Sue meet at a conference, and after a few drinks, they decide to head up to a hotel room. After concluding a passionate night of lovemaking, Sue gets up and walks over to the sink to wash up.

Jeff, while observing, says "Hey, you must be a surgeon!"

Sue looks up front the sink with a smile on here face. "Why yes, how did you know?"

"Well," says Jeff, "it's about how meticulously you're washing your hands."

"Ah," says Sue, "well then you must be an anesthesiologist!"

"Wow, that's right!" says Jeff, "how did you figure that out?"

"Well," says Sue, "it became obvious last night. I didn't feel a thing!"

Reactions: 10 users
Q. what do you call an anesthesiologist in a suit?

A. the defendant

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There's always the good old ABCs of anesthesiology:

Airway, Book, Chair or
Airway, Bagel, Coffee

I don't think I've ever heard the anesthesiology version of the "How do you hide a $100 bill from a [insert specialty type i.e. radiologist, plastic surgeon, etc]. Does anyone have a good one for the anesthesia iteration of that joke?

what's the difference between an anesthesiologist and a urologist?

a urologist plays with SOMEBODY ELSE'S genitals during surgery.

Airway
Book
Coffee
Doughnut
Eat
Funnies (Read)
Go
Home

Reactions: 1 user
A, B, C's of anesthesia --> airway, book, chair. A, B, C's of surgery --> abuse, belittle, criticize.

I used to play the violin a bit. The running joke in the family is that now I know 2 ways to put people to sleep.

Reactions: 3 users
I used to play the violin a bit. The running joke in the family is that now I know 2 ways to put people to sleep.

:laugh: That's awesome.

What was that statement someone made in another thread a while back, about anesthesiologists and surgeons? "One is a brilliant and compassionate physician, and the other is a boring, predictable guy who puts people to sleep."? Something like that... (I took it to be a knock against surgeons, but I guess I could see how the poster meant something else.)

laughing-gas.jpg

Humphry Davy's Nitrous oxide

laughinggas-advert.jpg

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
you know your a good anesthesiologist, when you can work with *******s all day and not smell like **** :xf:

A, B, C's of anesthesia --> airway, book, chair. A, B, C's of surgery --> abuse, belittle, criticize.

Also have heard Acuse, Blame, Criticize or Avoid, Blame, Criticize.

What do an anesthesiologist and a walrus have in common?

Both like a tight seal.

I don't think I've ever heard the anesthesiology version of the "How do you hide a $100 bill from a [insert specialty type i.e. radiologist, plastic surgeon, etc]. Does anyone have a good one for the anesthesia iteration of that joke?

*Raises hand*

How do you hide a $100 bill from an anesthesiologist?

-Put it in the cabinet with the sterile gloves.

-Place it anywhere below the patient's chin.

-Let the AANA know there is a $100 bill somewhere in the hospital. No anesthesiologist will stand a chance.

Pick one.

Reactions: 2 users
*Raises hand*

How do you hide a $100 bill from an anesthesiologist?

-Put it in the cabinet with the sterile gloves.

-Place it anywhere below the patient's chin.

-Let the AANA know there is a $100 bill somewhere in the hospital. No anesthesiologist will stand a chance.

Pick one.

You don't need to hide money to keep it from an anesthesiologist. Just don't wake him up.

Went to the doctors the other day, I says to the doctor, have you got anything for wind? So he gave me a kite. HAHAHAHAHA!

Went to the doctors the other day, doctor says, go to Bournemouth, it's great for flu. So I went and got it. HAHAHAHA!

Consultant Anaesthetist gets me in to his office and gives me a right telling off, you know, shouting and bawling for doing something so bloody trivial, so after his outburst, he said What have you got to say for yourself, Junior Doctor before I suspend you, lad. I said, Sir, I've only one word to say to you, Consultant Anaesthetist says, what's that? I said, Word. HAHAHAHAHA!

Went to the doctors the other day, I says to the doctor, have you got anything for wind? So he gave me a kite. HAHAHAHAHA!
Went to the doctors the other day, doctor says, go to Bournemouth, it's great for flu. So I went and got it. HAHAHAHA!
Consultant Anaesthetist gets me in to his office and gives me a right telling off, you know, shouting and bawling for doing something so bloody trivial, so after his outburst, he said What have you got to say for yourself, Junior Doctor before I suspend you, lad. I said, Sir, I've only one word to say to you, Consultant Anaesthetist says, what's that? I said, Word. HAHAHAHAHA!
Welp, these would probably not be among my favorite anesthesia jokes. But maybe I just don't get British humor.

Reactions: 1 users
This entire speciality is the biggest joke ever.