Failed CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nuriko

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, it happened. That thing that NEVER happens to anyone who speaks English, apparently. I got my score back a couple of days ago and found out that I failed the Step 2 CS. I am an American medical graduate. I passed both Step 1 and Step 2 CK in one try without any problems. Hell, I even finished all my rotations and MATCHED before my score came out...

Thankfully, I only need to sit for the CS to graduate, so I will get my degree and start residency on time. However, Im steamed that I have to spend another $1100 just to do this bull**** again, since passing is a requirement for Step 3 registration.

Man, this blows. :mad::(

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it happened. That thing that NEVER happens to anyone who speaks English, apparently. I got my score back a couple of days ago and found out that I failed the Step 2 CS. I am an American medical graduate. I passed both Step 1 and Step 2 CK in one try without any problems. Hell, I even finished all my rotations and MATCHED before my score came out...

Thankfully, I only need to sit for the CS to graduate, so I will get my degree and start residency on time. However, Im steamed that I have to spend another $1100 just to do this bull**** again, since passing is a requirement for Step 3 registration.

Man, this blows. :mad::(

Sorry to hear that. Best thing to do is see what part of CS gave you the trouble, read through FA (again?) - cover to cover -- it's pretty helpful, and read through the threads on SDN talking about the things you need to do to pass. Stay away from mnemonics and formulaic approaches and try to treat the thing like a real patient encounter. Make sure you do all the niceities -- shake hands, handwashing, eye-contact, draping, using the patient's name, asking before untying things, explaining what you are doing, don't repeat painful maneuvers, etc -- IMHO this is a huge component of the grading on this test. Try to have a nice conversation with the patient, an exam targeted to the area of trouble, some sort of wrap up where you explain your thoughts and where you want to go next with the patient, and if the person is a smoker/drinker/drug abuser counsel them on safe practices. Also don't forget to ask about the possibility of pregnancy/STDs/contraception in any female with abdominal symptoms below the age of 40. But most of all simply treat it as a real clinic visit. The SPs seem to respond best if they feel like you are actually treating them like they are the real deal.

Thanks for the words of wisdom. What really steams me is that I passed 2/3 areas, and the one area I failed was the area of pt. rapport! I mean, I introduced myself, verified the pts name, draped them, washed my hands, explained every step of hte physical before doing anything, didnt repeat anything painful, and explained at the end! I really have no clue what I could do differently, or what exactly it was that they thought i was lacking! And unfortunately, I wont get any further feedback from them! grrr, this exam makes me so mad! :mad::mad::mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the difference in taking it in the AM or PM?

Pm start late afternoon and can run very late into the evening especially if the morning session runs late (which it often does). Most people are more exhausted seeing their 12th fake patient at 10:30 pm than they are seeing them at 3:30 pm.

I booked my test for the first appt available when i got my permit. This is a PM site in Houston (was in chicago last time), early June. I realize what you say about PM being harder, more exhausting. However, there were no other available spots till sept. With 97% passing odds, im not too worried. (Of course, i thought this last time, and ended up eating my words). But theres no way possible I could fail twice, right? Right?!?! (Im obviously going to study again and exaggerate my 'rapport' so that there are no chances taken).

I booked my test for the first appt available when i got my permit. This is a PM site in Houston (was in chicago last time), early June. I realize what you say about PM being harder, more exhausting. However, there were no other available spots till sept. With 97% passing odds, im not too worried. (Of course, i thought this last time, and ended up eating my words). But theres no way possible I could fail twice, right? Right?!?! (Im obviously going to study again and exaggerate my 'rapport' so that there are no chances taken).

Agree, most people will pass either session, so the relative disadvantage is pretty minor.

Hi!
Sorry to hear about your results. I have been helping to assist IMG's to prepare for the CS exam for the past 2+ years. What I've found to be the usual culprit if the candidate failed the 'rapport' (or interpersonal skills) part, is this - many candidates tend to treat the SP as a simple collection of symptoms, instead of as another human having problems (yes, I know that for the most part, the acting is TERRIBLE!).
Sometimes, the candidate simply comes off as a WORSE actor, i.e., is just trying to run through the checklist and it's obvious.
I hope that you have better luck on your retry. Best advice....treat the SP as real, and treat them as you would wish to be treated if it was you on the exam table.
Best of luck!

What the F, its been almost 2 months since I retook this thing! Why does this take so long to grade??? +pissed+

Hey Nuriko, good luck with your results...I think you will have to wait a few more weekd though.

Also, you took the exam in Houston? How was the testing center/staff overall? Ive heard horror stories about the staff in Philly, so I was just curious about Houston.

Thanks

Hey Nuriko, good luck with your results...I think you will have to wait a few more weekd though.

Also, you took the exam in Houston? How was the testing center/staff overall? Ive heard horror stories about the staff in Philly, so I was just curious about Houston.

Thanks

Honestly, it didnt seem too different from the first time i took it, over in Chicago. I cant really say there were any major problems that I had, regarding staff. Hopefully, Ill be able to say the same about the test...

Nuriko? :'( Your name is making me sad (gf making me watch Fushigi Yuugi)

Lol, i think youre the first person to pick up the reference! :thumbup::thumbup:

Hey Nuriko, one more question. Do you feel First Aid is enough to study and cover the majority of everything, or would you also recommend using other sources like UW/Kaplan/etc?

Thanks

Hey Nuriko, one more question. Do you feel First Aid is enough to study and cover the majority of everything, or would you also recommend using other sources like UW/Kaplan/etc?

Thanks

I don't think UW adds anything for the CS (you mean CK, I assume). FA should be plenty for CS, as long as you've had some family med or emergency med type rotations where you saw numerous patients in short intervals, and ideally had a sample OSCE test at your school designed to simulate the CS. I wouldn't bother with other resources, most do fine with a brief read of FA.

how much would a failed CS affect a a person who got 90+ on step 1 and 2 on first attempts?
If a program says they want passing scores on first attempt do they imply CS as well?