2009-2010 University of Utah Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ignore this thread for now. I'm sorry it's cluttering the forum. :(

I know it's too early for this. but I'm making all the school-specific threads now so I can link them to the main index thread, so everything's ready to go for the 2009-2010 application season :) I'd rather do it all in one sitting than try to spread the work out over the upcoming months.

So bear with me, and I apologize again for the clutter. These threads will move off the front page really soon, so you can really ignore them until the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know how you feel about the mere 82 spots this year. Of course, the year I am applying for Medschool they cut 20 spots right off the top. All well, I guess we'll just have to be that much better.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
So I have come to the conclusion that with Utah you never know. My good friend got in last year (class of 2013) with a 25 MCAT and about a 3.6 GPA, but better-than-average extra-curriculars. But I have heard of and seen some of the very best applicants get denied--like pre-med club president and those with 40+ MCATs. With Utah, it seems you just never know who will get in. I think its more like a lottery than anything.

I agree....it's like hit and miss with those guys. I wish I knew what the lucky combination was to get in there. My latest theory is that they will take in-state applicants who aren't likely to get in out of state so that they can give as many Utahns a chance to get into medical school as possible. Who knows...

Last edited:
U Utah has this admissions requirement and I'm baffled by it. Precisely, what do they expect from a non-clinician premed. I shadowed a doctor, played games with seniors, cared for a grandparent etc, but I guess that doesn't cut it. Are they asking for delivery of medical care to a patient? How did you guys gain this type of patient exposure?

"Patient Exposure

Patient exposure is defined as direct interaction with patients and hands-on involvement in the care of conscious people. It is important that the applicant be comfortable working with and around people who are ill.
Direct patient exposure can be gained in a variety of ways. Patient contact must include patients other than family members and friends and does not include indirect patient care such as housekeeping (cleaning operating rooms or patient rooms) working at the hospital information desk, or working in a pharmacy.

• The minimum patient exposure requirement is 4 hours per week for a period of 2 months or the equivalent of 32 hours.
  • The average applicant spends 4 hours per week in patient exposure for 3 months or the equivalent of 48 hours."

Last edited:
Has anyone received a secondary yet?

i got mine today. im oos, so i applied md/phd.

Me too. Just got mine today. For the premedical course list they say to list only the required classes to fulfill each requirement, yet they put a whole bunch of my classes in each category that could fulfill those requirements. Are you deleting the extra courses they added?

With the kind of reputation Utah's secondary has, I am surprised that it isn't that bad.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any point in submitting this secondary if i don't have the supervisor letters? the only one i have is from a clinical experience. but i do have all academic letters.

if i can't get the others will they not look at my application?

Can someone PM me the secondary essay prompts so I can update it on the first post? Thanks

Anyone know how the match program is here? Any good linkages with Ca?

Last edited:
Man, their class requirement list is huge. I barely fulfilled the diversity one.

Last edited:
interview invite 8/31! Scheduled for Sept.

Just got my interview invite! They start as soon as sept. 9th... I guess I had better go buy a suit! :)

Best of luck to everyone - and I say that with special emphasis on the word "luck" since that seems to be an important part of Utah's acceptance criteria. :D

Last edited:
Can someone please post some of the U's secondary questions? Thanks

can you please post the secondary prompts?????

Last edited:
Hey nacho why don't you rub it in some more, eh? Nah, just kidding man, go represent.

Rub it in? Bah! BTW what does filhodeinferno even mean? Oh and I think my grandma could beat you at tennis after seeing you today!

Last edited:
Approximately 280 residents were interviewed in 2007-2008. 88 of those were accepted.

In 2008-2009 they interviewed more residents and had to reduce the class size by twenty percent.

It's a dog fight to get into the U now especially with more re-applicants this season.

Best of luck!

Hasn't it always been a dogfight? It's certainly worse now, but the odds were never that good in the first place.

For OOS I got a secondary. BUT, I only have 5 of 6 required letters. I need one from the doctors I shadowed but that was a while ago.

I'm shadowing again in october, do you guys think that if I get a letter then it's already too late?

For OOS I got a secondary. BUT, I only have 5 of 6 required letters. I need one from the doctors I shadowed but that was a while ago.

I'm shadowing again in october, do you guys think that if I get a letter then it's already too late?

The U is one of the few schools that don't do rolling admission, so when you get your app in really doesn't matter. ...as long as you get it in on time

The U is one of the few schools that don't do rolling admission, so when you get your app in really doesn't matter. ...as long as you get it in on time

Holy SHIZ! (Utah is one of the few states where you can say this word and not come across as weird)

Is this really true?

(checking msar) hmmm, not in MSAR.

Well... then I guess shadowing this Inf. dis. doctor in october and getting the letter isn't totally implausible.

hey does anyone know how the U views multiple MCAT scores (IE only the most recent counts, highest in each section counts, highest overall...)

Last edited:

Last edited:
The odds were GREAT before the class size cut. Where 280 were guaranteed an interview and one in three got in. That's a heck of a lot better odds than most schools.

I guess it's all relative. 1/3 odds is only good when applying to medical school.

nacholibre, what can you tell us about your interview?

So I just got an email saying that the class I had listed as my diversity credit may not fulfill the requirements for the U. The letter says that the class has to focus on the culture of a minority population in the US, yada yada. I listed my Portuguese class as meeting this requirement, and I also took 2 years worth of Spanish classes as well, but they are saying that these don't meet the requirement. Aren't these classes the perfect fit for a diversity class? After all, that is one reason why I took them. You would think that learning the language of the biggest minority population in the US would count as a way to be better prepared to serve these people in the medical world, but I guess not.

Basically my question is what classes have you all been using that have fulfilled this requirement? Maybe I've taken one that will fit the bill. Thanks for your help.

I used a Sociology of Gender course to satisfy the diversity requirement. I can't remember the U's policy on when pre-reqs need to be completed, but perhaps if all else fails you can take a course that would satisfy this requirement in the Spring. I think the course needs to specifically be on the culture, history, etc. of a minority group - foreign language courses don't count. I hope that helps.

So I just got an email saying that the class I had listed as my diversity credit may not fulfill the requirements for the U. The letter says that the class has to focus on the culture of a minority population in the US, yada yada. I listed my Portuguese class as meeting this requirement, and I also took 2 years worth of Spanish classes as well, but they are saying that these don't meet the requirement. Aren't these classes the perfect fit for a diversity class? After all, that is one reason why I took them. You would think that learning the language of the biggest minority population in the US would count as a way to be better prepared to serve these people in the medical world, but I guess not.

Basically my question is what classes have you all been using that have fulfilled this requirement? Maybe I've taken one that will fit the bill. Thanks for your help.

Look at their website for undergraduate degrees and there is a list of courses that meet their diversity requirement.

Last edited:
for those of you with interviews, how long did it take for you to get the interview invite after you submitted your secondary?

Took me about one month. I submitted my secondary 1 month ago and got an interview invite today. Do we know how many invites they sent out in this second round?

Just got offered an interview today! Mine took about a month also; I'm oos applying MD only

Status
Not open for further replies.