6 year programs vs. traditional 8 year paths?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acommunistspy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all future pharmacists! :hello:

I am currently a junior in high school in Bergen county, NJ. I have a roughly 4.0 GPA and a 2340 (800 math 800 reading 740 writing) SAT :prof:. I have taken many honors and a few AP classes. I realize with these stats i have a pretty good shot at getting into the highest ranked schools, if not ivy league. I volunteer at the local hospital and have done medical volunteering in India. I am currently taking EMT classes.

For the past few years, i believed i was going to be a MD but i realize now that
1. i could not handle 4 year college + 4 year medical school + 3 years residency
2. i would not enjoy being a doctor (sort of an antisocial and the stress + responsibility would be too much)
3. i don't need or want to be filthy rich.
4. I can now differentiate between my own wishes and my parents wishes.

I want to be a pharmacist. I love biology/chemistry and know that's where i want my career to be. I just feel i would actually enjoy this job.

That's why i want to apply for a 6 year program. I know i could get into Rutgers or any other. But the dilemma is this:
Should i first go to a "better", more prestigious school and then apply for to a pharmacy school?
Or should i just apply for a 6 year program?

The first choice could potentially get me into a higher ranked pharmacy school than the few schools that offer 6 year programs.

The second choice would save a lot of trouble but would be less flexible and less prestigious.

What do i do?? :help:

P.S. which is the "best" 6-year pharmacy program?

Thanks for reading all this and for helping me! :bow:

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to SDN!

First let me start off by congratulating you on your amazing stats! I wish I had done that well in high school. With those stats I am sure you would make a competitive applicant at Rutger's. Out of the 6 year programs (correct me if I'm wrong) Rutger's is, if not most, one of the most prestigious pharmacy schools. University of the Sciences in Philadelphia is also good. I would say apply to Rutger's or any other 6 year program and if it so happens that you don't get accepted to them you can start working on your pre-reqs then apply to the 4-year programs. If I were you though, I would attempt to go the 0+6 route than the 2+4. Just my 2 cents though. Good luck!

I was accepted into the University of Pacific 6 year program, but I declined that to go to a 4 year university. Personally, I didn't want to spend 6 years of my life at the same school, and I believe things worked out better for me with my experiences/fun at the 4 year university before embarking for pharmacy school.

When I asked the 5 and 6 year students what they felt about their choice to attend those programs, they told me that they felt as if they grew up too fast. They pretty much told me they were in that 'high stress mode' of professional school beginning in undergrad.

Had I gone to UoP, I would have been done with pharmacy school in 2010. Instead, I am just starting up pharmacy school now and won't graduate until 2013. No regrets at all

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted into the University of Pacific 6 year program, but I declined that to go to a 4 year university. Personally, I didn't want to spend 6 years of my life at the same school, and I believe things worked out better for me with my experiences/fun at the 4 year university before embarking for pharmacy school.

When I asked the 5 and 6 year students what they felt about their choice to attend those programs, they told me that they felt as if they grew up too fast. They pretty much told me they were in that 'high stress mode' of professional school beginning in undergrad.

Had I gone to UoP, I would have been done with pharmacy school in 2010. Instead, I am just starting up pharmacy school now and won't graduate until 2013. No regrets at all

I can easily see your point. HOWEVER, I would like to point out that having an ensured acceptance into Pharmacy School (6 year program) helps out ALOT. It's much harder to get kicked out of a 6 year Pharmacy program than to "just not make the cut" (for whatever reason) and not get accepted into pharmacy school.

Personally, college has alot of distractions. I am prone to wanting to go out and party-- which is why I'm a bit apprehensive about my studies falling by the wayside. HOPEFULLY that won't happen :xf: but I'd definitely take a guaranteed acceptance (granted I could keep a 2.0 average).

i am not sure if the same applies now, but it is much harder to get into pharmacy school if you are applying after your undergrad than it is out of hs, so if you do get accepted to a 0+6 pharmacy program it is a no brainer... you will at least save 2 years of college tuition

also, i would like to point out a couple of factors:

-in certain ways, the role of a pharmacist does entail a lot of social interaction with patients, especially in the retail setting, and dealing with nurses/MDs in the inpatient setting... it may not present the same pressures as MD but it does provide a different kind of stress/pressure (definitely not a low stress profession)

-the NJ market for pharmacists at this point in time (or even in the past 6 months) is very saturated, many of the Rutgers grads coming out this year are still looking for jobs and many of the retail pharmacies are decreasing in expansion partially due to the economy plus it is getting to the point where expansion is becoming less and less viable from a business standpoint. although this may change in a few years, the fact remains that it is by no means a guarantee that one would easily net a 100k position coming out of school (plus the fact that there are 200+ new grads entering the market every year)

keep in mind that the perception that pharmacy as being a "hot field" may hold true back in 2004, but there are some signs that right now we are at the tail end of the boom. (much like perception that comp sci. was a hot field back in 1999-2000 before the dotcom crash hit). obviously we won't experience something like that but who knows? at the long term care i work at we have already laid off 4 rphs...

if you go through school w/o student loans then i'd say go for it, but for anyone who is considering taking 100k debt in order to attend pharmacy school, i'd say consider your options

I would go to the ivy league schools first. The education you get there will be superb and well worth every penny.

thanks for all the replies, guys! what you say here is potentially life-changing.

jachen: i realize that most of the urban/surburb centers are saturated with pharmacists but they are always saturated for most jobs (there are probably more dentists in bergen county than in the whole state of ohio :laugh:). But i believe the new innovations in medicine and pharmaceuticals will create more demand. And the baby boomers who are now turning 60+ will need medicine and pharmacists to supply them. Of course, nobody knows for sure, but i don't think pharmacists will become an obsolete field anytime soon and there will always be a need for medicine...unless machines take over :uhno: .
And you are completely right about saving two years of tuition, because i know for a fact i would need loans to pay for school. Which is why i was considering rutgers in ther first place because i think i could probably get at least a partial scholarship.

evilolive: i am not sure if ivy league is truly worth every penny. Definitely superb education but i've heard it is sometimes a cold, extremly competitive place. But yes, i would love to go to dartmouth or yale instead of rutgers or university of texas. Yet it feels to me that i'm just paying extra for a name to put on my resume. :confused:

ALSO, how reliable is the usrankings of pharmacy schools? I'm sortof an overachiever and i believe if i want a pharmD, i should go to the top school. I think rutgers if ranked 25th but honestly, how much better is University of California (1st) :eyebrow:?

Also, if i go to say, Columbia, and then to USC, would I have a better chance at getting a job than if i graduate from rutger's 6-year program?
Man, this is stressful figuring out what to do with the rest of my life :boom:

I'm liking this thread, i'd like to know too

If pharmacy is something you want to do, then GO FOR IT! Many of us on SDN, wished we had thought of applying to 0+6 pharm schools out of high school, but for one reason or another we didn't... Sure you can go to the "really" good undergrad and get a bs/ba in ~4 yrs, but you'll just be wasting your time and money... Also, pharmacy schools might be ranked, but when you get out of pharm school, a PharmD is a PharmD. And it doesn't matter where you got the degree from, we'll all be making ~ the same amount..

Sometimes I think going the longer path is better because it gives you a chance to really think about what you want to do with your life.

Before I decided that I wanted to be a Pharmacist I was going to school for Computer Science, but completely changed my mind after one year of college. A lot can change about how you think from age 18-22 and you may not want to be a Pharmacist in a couple years. But if you're doing an undergrad in pre-health you can always go a different route once you're done with your first degree.

Sometimes I wish I could go back and know right away that this is what I actually wanted and saved time and money, but sometimes I think that this way was better because at least now I am not only more well-rounded, but also more sure of my future because I know I will be happy with my decision. :)

Sometimes I think going the longer path is better because it gives you a chance to really think about what you want to do with your life.

He raises a very valid point and one that I think you should consider strongly. One of the unforeseen classes that an undergraduate takes is the one known as maturing. While you seem to have a good head on your shoulders you will likely be surprised how much different a person you'll be when you're 22 years old.

Also, as my user name well suggests, you'll likely be surprised how your goals and aspirations change as well.

There is no shame in taking the slow route. The advantages, in my opinion, of going for a traditional 4+3/4 college path outweigh the 0+6 path. If, at the end of your 4 year curriculum, you decide that Pharmacy isn't going to be for you then you have a wide array of options.

Essentially, with the same curriculum OR with very few gaps to fill, you can swap over to most other med programs. You can venture into Wildlife Biology or even go for your PhD and go from there.

If there's one thing you can't get back it's time. Saving time is great - especially two years worth - but skipping time is sometimes regrettable. In the end, we can give you advice and help you along the way, but the decision is ultimately yours.

Before I decided that I wanted to be a Pharmacist I was going to school for Computer Science, but completely changed my mind after one year of college. A lot can change about how you think from age 18-22 and you may not want to be a Pharmacist in a couple years. But if you're doing an undergrad in pre-health you can always go a different route once you're done with your first degree.

Sometimes I wish I could go back and know right away that this is what I actually wanted and saved time and money, but sometimes I think that this way was better because at least now I am not only more well-rounded, but also more sure of my future because I know I will be happy with my decision. :)

I completely agree with the above message.

Years from now, it won't be all about the money. Years from now, way after we've paid off our school loans, we will think about the experiences we had in school and in life. Most importantly, it won't be about how long it took to complete the pharmD. or how much money you saved or wasted. I strongly believe it will be about all the different experience(s) we will or have encountered in our journeys to earning pharmDs and/or whatever it is we wish to pursue.

6 year or 8 year program/path, whatever you chose, just make sure it is a decision you are completely happy with.

personally, I went with the 9 year path and I'm glad I did.

Hello to all future pharmacists! :hello:

I am currently a junior in high school in Bergen county, NJ. I have a roughly 4.0 GPA and a 2340 (800 math 800 reading 740 writing) SAT :prof:. I have taken many honors and a few AP classes. I realize with these stats i have a pretty good shot at getting into the highest ranked schools, if not ivy league. I volunteer at the local hospital and have done medical volunteering in India. I am currently taking EMT classes.

For the past few years, i believed i was going to be a MD but i realize now that
1. i could not handle 4 year college + 4 year medical school + 3 years residency
2. i would not enjoy being a doctor (sort of an antisocial and the stress + responsibility would be too much)
3. i don't need or want to be filthy rich.
4. I can now differentiate between my own wishes and my parents wishes.

I want to be a pharmacist. I love biology/chemistry and know that's where i want my career to be. I just feel i would actually enjoy this job.

That's why i want to apply for a 6 year program. I know i could get into Rutgers or any other. But the dilemma is this:
Should i first go to a "better", more prestigious school and then apply for to a pharmacy school?
Or should i just apply for a 6 year program?

The first choice could potentially get me into a higher ranked pharmacy school than the few schools that offer 6 year programs.

The second choice would save a lot of trouble but would be less flexible and less prestigious.

What do i do?? :help:

P.S. which is the "best" 6-year pharmacy program?

Thanks for reading all this and for helping me! :bow:

You should definitely apply to both 4 year undergraduate schools as well as 2+4 schools. Over the next year or so, try to shadow or get a part time job at a hospital or retail pharmacy to see if this is truly something you would like to pursue. If it is, I would recommend skipping all the fuss. If you're unsure, then go the four year route.

The school where you actually get the Pharm.D from is not really that important. I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as it is in good standing in terms of accreditation.

I love biology/chemistry
ahah... I said the same quote, Admissions dont like that quote; why njot just be a biologist or chemist is the joke... Well at least you made up your mind; good luck.

You could always do what I'm doing and go to school to have fun for a year and then get into pharmacy school (a 5 year program) at a nice pharmacy school. PharmD right when I turn 24. Besides, I hear you can party the first 2 years in pharmacy school before the work starts getting crazy. Anyways, keep up the good work and good luck.

With those stats I'm sure your going to get a ton of full scholarship offers :thumbup: I envy people who know exactly what they want to be when they grow up. If you decide to get there the slow route or the fast route is up to you, but I can tell by your stats that no matter what you will most likely get into the school of your choice anyway. The only decision I see you having is whether to sacrifice two years of partying right now and have a whole lot of years to party later LOL. You will probably be what 23 or 24 if you take the 0+6 route, man after that you can party everyday :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

And you are completely right about saving two years of tuition, because i know for a fact i would need loans to pay for school. Which is why i was considering rutgers in ther first place because i think i could probably get at least a partial scholarship.

ALSO, how reliable is the usrankings of pharmacy schools? I'm sortof an overachiever and i believe if i want a pharmD, i should go to the top school. I think rutgers if ranked 25th but honestly, how much better is University of California (1st) :eyebrow:?

Also, if i go to say, Columbia, and then to USC, would I have a better chance at getting a job than if i graduate from rutger's 6-year program?
Man, this is stressful figuring out what to do with the rest of my life

If you are in the top 3% and have an SAT score of at least 1500 (not counting the writing section), then you can get a full scholarship to Rutgers for pharmacy. It looks like you might fit that description. :)

Rutgers has the highest NAPLEX pass-rate out of the 6-year programs. 6 year programs are convenient if you know that you want to be a pharmacist, since you won't have to deal with things like the PCAT....but as people have previously mentioned, you could potentially change your plans/find something that actually fits you better if you do a normal undergrad.

I believe that going to an undergrad program would be more beneficial. You are young, there is no hurry and career success is important but experiencing things to help you along that path to success is a necessity. Personally I think going to an undergrad school and getting my BA in Biology was probably the best thing I could have done. When I go to pre-pharmacy I have only a handful of classes to take (or retake to prepare for the PCAT). It's well worth it to slow the process in order to cash in on the experience you will gain.

OP,
are you the type that likes to party it up at wild wild Frats, booze it up and shoot up and snort up and slurp and slobber up god knows what?
Thats what we mean by undergrad "experience". Best thing for you is to skip all that college nonsense. It'll save you time, health, and sanity.
Best of Luck!

Last edited: