networking and schmoozing tips???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GGVV

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my problem: I'm spending my summer after M1 year doing research in a department in which I am seriously considering applying for residency, but I'm horrible with networking and small talk and all of that. I can even be a bit awkward, which I hate, but I just don't know what to say. I'll probably be in the animal facilities or in one of the more research-oriented areas rather than where the actual docs are, but this is probably my closest shot at getting an "in" with the department. Any tips for making a good impression and for what to say? I really do want to impress them.

Members don't see this ad.

be yourself. don't look desperate and "try too hard"

Agreed. When you're in a department for a while, like with research, you're at an advantage of not having to make a memorable impression in a short period of time. Just get to know the faculty on an informal basis, establish a reputation as a hard worker, and you'll be remembered when it comes time to rotate.

Members don't see this ad :)
also, "look" friendly and enthusiastic (like, say "hi" and smile when you pass in the hallway). too often, shy people unintentionally look like a-holes.

work hard, smile, be accepting of criticism, and say *positive* things.

The trick to coming across as a genuine, competent, nice, positive person when talking with someone is to actually care about the person you're talking to. If you have that you can ask them questions that will flatter their knowledge and get them to talk about something they enjoy (which obviously they LIKE doing and will therefore associate positive feelings about you in the future) without appearing like a kiss-ass. If your whole focus is on getting in with the department and things that directly relate to you rather than others, your conversations may come off as forced (unless you're really smooth..). If you're actually interested in the dept. and self-confident enough to voice that genuine interest, people will think good of you.

don't worry about schmoozing, it's phony, and some people totally despise this. Go for the real talk but be brief and low pressure, even give them a chance to say no thanks.

A lady from the Dept. of Labor gave me a great tip at a conference once. She told us to make a 30 second or shorter intro on myself and what I do, and why I would want to get to know the other person.

Obviously if the person has seen you around, you can be less formal, but never assume a level of familiarity especially with senior or executive type people, it can be unprofessional.

Spending an entire summer doing research isn't like rubbing elbows at a cocktail party. You don't need to do anything besides a good job, everything else will follow.

Just a few tid bits...

If they have a "lab night out" or a "department night out", you sure as all hell better be there! That is one of the only time you'll ever really see the upper levels with their guard down.

Don't drink too much, but sure as hell drink, and buy your boss a drink or two. Same for the co-workers. Don't be the drunk guy/gal WHATEVER you do. And do accept any drinks that you are bought, and try not to pawn em off even if you don't want to drink any more (you don't nessesarily have to finish em tho...)

And don't ever, ever hit on ANYONE.

Be asexual when it comes to situations where you need to impress people who might hire/accept you down the line...

Oh, and one more tip. When it comes to shmoozing, don't. If it feels like your "forcing" something, ya probably are. Ask questions of people. That shows intelligence and a respect for their authority and experience.

Ah yes, and last of all, one pet peeve of mine: When people make statements and try to disguise them as a question. Example: "What advise would you have for someone who is looking for a challenging and exciting job in pharmaceutial developement after being extremely sucesfful at his last two posistions and having research the formulation chemistry of _________, which is just like what you are working on now?"...

Yeah, that really happened... I would have strangled him then and there but that is against business etiquette...

Just a few tid bits...

If they have a "lab night out" or a "department night out", you sure as all hell better be there! That is one of the only time you'll ever really see the upper levels with their guard down.

Don't drink too much, but sure as hell drink, and buy your boss a drink or two. Same for the co-workers. Don't be the drunk guy/gal WHATEVER you do. And do accept any drinks that you are bought, and try not to pawn em off even if you don't want to drink any more (you don't nessesarily have to finish em tho...)

And don't ever, ever hit on ANYONE.

Be asexual when it comes to situations where you need to impress people who might hire/accept you down the line...

Oh, and one more tip. When it comes to shmoozing, don't. If it feels like your "forcing" something, ya probably are. Ask questions of people. That shows intelligence and a respect for their authority and experience.

Ah yes, and last of all, one pet peeve of mine: When people make statements and try to disguise them as a question. Example: "What advise would you have for someone who is looking for a challenging and exciting job in pharmaceutial developement after being extremely sucesfful at his last two posistions and having research the formulation chemistry of _________, which is just like what you are working on now?"...

Yeah, that really happened... I would have strangled him then and there but that is against business etiquette...

wow, excellent advice. i would also say ditto to the poster who said shy people more often than not end up looking like a-holes. if you are shy, smile and nod, smile and nod, smile and nod! at everyone, it doesn't matter! it seems like nothing, but the acknowledgment is appreciated and you'll seem more approachable.

Last edited:
hmmm... i second the importance of simple friendly gestures such as saying hello and good morning, and smiling.

but how do you talk to people whom you aren't working with (or under)? do u just walk up to them and say hi in the hallway?

One of the people I was working with left a box of doghnut holes saying Happy friday and his name..

Everybody seemed to appreciate it and was a good icebreaker...

You dont need to schmooz, just let people know who you are!

Hopefully they'll remember your good work

Arrive early. Stay late. Be courteous. Volunteer to do extra work. :)

A recurrent theme that I keep hearing from docs is they want students to be interested and enthusiastic. Remember, we're supposed to be wide-eyed and bushy-tailed med students, not overworked interns or jaded residents. Do background reading, know your stuff, and ask questions that are both genuine and show you actually know something. Also, when an attending or someone arrives at a question that they don't know the answer to, go look it up (probably in uptodate), and then bring in the actual journal paper. Teams will love you for it.

Interacting with strangers, classmates, patients... Even doctors that I already know... Not a huge deal to me for the most part. But walking into a specific department, introducing myself to the physicians there, and then "hanging out" while trying to convey my interest in their field (without coming off as fishing for opportunities)... I've actually caught myself loosening my collar sometimes.

Good tips.