[Resource] UNDERGRAD GPA CALCULATOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Omni

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm gonna reserve this post for future announcements or updates.

i have a similar sheet for myself... good idea making it neat and shareable, though, i'm sure many would appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
hrmmm...doesn't your undergrad transcript do this for you?

im pretty sure most schools will not calculate ur bcpm for u, which this will

i used it before i got my amcas verified. it was spot on :thumbup:

How is this different from the one my school provides? If my school tells me my GPA is a 3.7 but this tells me my GPA is a 3.6... which one is more accurate?

I just finised making something similar to this for my self. I also added the long list of required courses I have. When I have seperate requirements for the university as a whole, college of arts and science, Bio major, my multiple minors, med school pre-reqs, I courses I want to take just for fun and honors program it can get confusing. Having everything in one list with a simple completed/incomplete next to it will make it much easier to plan out my schedule next time around

Wow! So nice and organized :). I made one for myself as well, but yours looks by far superior. Great job and thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
How is this different from the one my school provides? If my school tells me my GPA is a 3.7 but this tells me my GPA is a 3.6... which one is more accurate?
Chances are that your school calculates a B+ as a 3.5 instead of a 3.3.
When you register other places, they will use this standard:

A 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
F 0

Rather than calculating the "+" as a x.3, some schools count it as X.5. According to your school, your GPA will be higher than what other places will calculate it as. This calculator calculates everything at standard.

And to everyone else, thanks for the kind words. Pleas let me know if there is anything I can improve here.

Thanks for all the kind words!
More feedback will be appreciated. Please let me know what the next step should be or if it should be just left the same.

Thanks for all the kind words!
More feedback will be appreciated. Please let me know what the next step should be or if it should be just left the same.

I would suggest putting in a section for summer courses!

I would suggest putting in a section for summer courses!
I thought about doing that, but the spreadsheet became too big. Rather than having a new section for summer classes, I figured people would be able to improvise by just using the additional spaces in each year to fill in the summer classes

Quarter system? :(
Please tell me how the quarter system works. Is it the same thing as this semester system, except there will be 4 quarters to each year, instead of 2?
Is everything graded the same way as in this semester system?

I thought about doing that, but the spreadsheet became too big. Rather than having a new section for summer classes, I figured people would be able to improvise by just using the additional spaces in each year to fill in the summer classes

Please tell me how the quarter system works. Is it the same thing as this semester system, except there will be 4 quarters to each year, instead of 2?
Is everything graded the same way as in this semester system?

Hi Omni, I would DEFINITELY use this if it had a quarter system version:

- There are three regular quarters to a a year (Fall, Winter, Spring). There is also a summer quarter but that's optional, and classes taken during the summer quarter is calculated in the same way.

- It is graded the same way. My school does the exact same GPA breakdowns with the "+" and "-"

- Still 4 unit classes, at my school 12 being full time and standard being 16 ish.

-Sequences would obviously last 3 quarters instead of 2 semesters. So in a sequence of classes that last one year, say organic chemistry, the total credits of organic chemistry at the end of the year would be 4 X 3 =12, instead of the 8 units at semester schools.

Thanks!

Ah.
So if everything is the same, I guess you guys just want to see "Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer" per each year in place of "Semester 1" and "Semester 2", right?

you could just add new worksheets to the overall spreadsheet

you could just add new worksheets to the overall spreadsheet
That's what I'm planning to do.
Or I may just create a new spreadsheet and just use the current code that I all readdy have. All I need to do is just create new partitions under each year.

That's what I'm planning to do.
Or I may just create a new spreadsheet and just use the current code that I all readdy have. All I need to do is just create new partitions under each year.

that would create multiple files and potential confusion, imho. with the multiple sheet approach you can one file any person could use.

Ah.
So if everything is the same, I guess you guys just want to see "Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer" per each year in place of "Semester 1" and "Semester 2", right?

yes yes!
thank you :D

My school does not have a letter grading system, they just tell what you get number wise, i.e. 3.6 or 3.8. There's no possible way to input this into this GPA calculator is there?

Also does medical school just take my 3.8 and count it as an A- and change it to a 3.7?

well, here's a work-around.
Go to "Sheet 2" in the spreadsheet. Change the letter grades to whatever numbers your school uses and just input those letters in.
For example, if your grades are:
3.7, 3.8, 3.85, 3.6, 3.21 or things along that line, just change the letter values into those that you have and just use those letters.

As for how AMCAS calcualtes that kind of GPA is out of my scope. My guess would be that it would stay the same. Just google it and you should be able to find out. I know theres a whole 5 page report by amcas on how they calculate everything from different systems.

My school does not have a letter grading system, they just tell what you get number wise, i.e. 3.6 or 3.8. There's no possible way to input this into this GPA calculator is there?

Also does medical school just take my 3.8 and count it as an A- and change it to a 3.7?

Whoa, never heard of that! Might be a special case or something...

Thx for the loophole. This spreadsheet is awesome!

I always just used a calculator

Hey this excel sheet is awesome, Just wondering, how would I be able to put in any retakes or withdrawals from classes?

nevermind, they count as separate classes, thx

Hey this excel sheet is awesome, Just wondering, how would I be able to put in any retakes or withdrawals from classes?
Sorry, I didn't put in that functionality for the sake of of simplicity.
You can just go in and manually change your grade around. If I'm correct, your first grade is replaced with the new grade.The new grade counts for the new semester, the old one is just taken off.

Sorry, I didn't put in that functionality for the sake of of simplicity.
You can just go in and manually change your grade around. If I'm correct, your first grade is replaced with the new grade.The new grade counts for the new semester, the old one is just taken off.

I think they both get counted actually, and the W doesnt count against your gpa, it just looks bad

Thanks man. I love you bro.

lol. It's really gunner if you can ace 10 classes.

What about summer/winter classes?

Just use the extra spaces in semesters 1 and 2 to fill those classes in. I didn't include them for simplicity's sake as well as for making the excel sheet a bit more manageable.

However, I will include those changes in the next update.

Just use the extra spaces in semesters 1 and 2 to fill those classes in. I didn't include them for simplicity's sake as well as for making the excel sheet a bit more manageable.

However, I will include those changes in the next update.

Thanks bro. You are the best. :thumbup:

Ah.

There is also a difference in credits - I don't know if that will make any difference in the sheet or not. I found this on the University of Washington's website
Colleges and universities that operate on a semester system award semester credit. The UW awards quarter credit. To convert semester to quarter credits, multiply by 1.5. For example, a student who earns 30 credits in an institution on a semester calendar would have earned 45 quarter credits at the UW.
http://www.washington.edu/students/reg/credit.html

i didn't put that feature in because i didn't think people would need ut. by popular request, however, i will do that.

i didn't put that feature in because i didn't think people would need ut. by popular request, however, i will do that.

Thanks man, plz have the same format so i can just copy and paste.

I developed this worksheet to track my GPA by semester. it provides the following;
Semester GPA
Semester BCPM
Cumulative GPA
Cumulative BCPM
Cumulative AMCAS GPA
Cumulative AMCAS BCPM GPA

PM me if you have any questions.

Attachments

• GPA - AMCAS Calcs v1.2.zip
    152.7 KB · Views: 173
I developed this worksheet to track my GPA by semester. it provides the following;
Semester GPA
Semester BCPM
Cumulative GPA
Cumulative BCPM
Cumulative AMCAS GPA
Cumulative AMCAS BCPM GPA

PM me if you have any questions.

does it do non-sci gpa as well? just non-scie