is a 10 minute med check really that bad? How quickly can they be done?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcxyz0123

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question is stated in title of the post. I saw some woman charging $125 for a 10 minute med check. If you did 6 of those an hour youd make 750 an hour. Is there something I am missing there? Because that seems like a ton of money, and too good to be true. My question is:

1. Do you really need to take more than 10 minutes to do a good med check? 10 minutes seems like a long time if you think about it. How many questions do you really need to ask?

2. Is it possible to do 4 hours worth of med checks a day, 6 of them per hour? Is that fun for anyone who has done it? To me, that sounds fun, because I like the idea of talking to as many different patients as possible in one day. I am just a straight to the point type of guy, and I don't know if I'd enjoy long, drawn out 30 minute or 1 hour appointments.

3. Could a practice be filled with just doing tons of med checks, cash only, most of the day, making the kind of money I stated above? Or is it difficult finding a good amt of patients willing to pay cash for a med check?

Members don't see this ad.

Question is stated in title of the post. I saw some woman charging $125 for a 10 minute med check. If you did 6 of those an hour youd make 750 an hour. Is there something I am missing there? Because that seems like a ton of money, and too good to be true. My question is:

1. Do you really need to take more than 10 minutes to do a good med check? 10 minutes seems like a long time if you think about it. How many questions do you really need to ask?

2. Is it possible to do 4 hours worth of med checks a day, 6 of them per hour? Is that fun for anyone who has done it? To me, that sounds fun, because I like the idea of talking to as many different patients as possible in one day. I am just a straight to the point type of guy, and I don't know if I'd enjoy long, drawn out 30 minute or 1 hour appointments.

3. Could a practice be filled with just doing tons of med checks, cash only, most of the day, making the kind of money I stated above? Or is it difficult finding a good amt of patients willing to pay cash for a med check?

I would encourage you to reflexct on this statment.......:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I would encourage you to reflexct on this statment.......:rolleyes:

Judging by your inept response, inability to type a clear sentence, crappy quote on ur signature, and the fact that u are a "health student" and not a med student, doc or resident.....why on earth would u even bother with an attempt at a sanctimonious/sarcastic response, and on top of that, put a roll eyed smilie at the end of ur statement? Did u say something clever?

To the rest of the board: I used to have to see my primary care doc for refills every 3 months when I was in high school (I don't take it anymore). The visit literally took 3 minutes tops. My main question: are most med management visits similar to visits like these (basically a formality)...or are they much, much more complex? If they are much more complex, then I can understand how 10 minute visits probably border on malpractice, since there could be a lot to talk about to make sure the patient is being treated correctly. But if not, and they are more of a formality so that u dont get prescribed 1000 pills at once, then I wouldn't see the problem in running a practice like that.

Last edited:
Judging by your inept response, inability to type a clear sentence, crappy quote on ur signature, and the fact that u are a "health student" and not a med student, doc or resident.....why on earth would u even bother with an attempt at a sanctimonious/sarcastic response, and on top of that, put a roll eyed smilie at the end of ur statement? Did u say something clever?

Take it easy pal, I simply asked you to reflect on the statement and consider how this might apply to psychiatry and the nature of the problems, crises, needs of the populations you will be working with. Maybe Im over interpreting it, but maybe im not, im not sure. However, you are right, the face wasnt necessary, my apologies.

Last edited:
Could a practice be filled with just doing tons of med checks, cash only, most of the day, making the kind of money I stated above? Or is it difficult finding a good amt of patients willing to pay cash for a med check?

Just for the sake of argument, suppose doing a full day of med checks per day paid you 20% LESS than a full day of 1-hr psychotherapy appts. Would you still think a practice of only med checks is fun?

Some pts can have a competent med check in 10 min, esp if I know the pt well, things are going really well, no questions, no problems, etc. But that's fairly rare. If I saw a pt who needed no more than 10 min twice in a row and we have no expectation to taper or stop any of the meds, I need to strongly consider closing the case and letting the PCP take over prescribing - with an invitation to return any time things start going wrong, maybe with an annual "consult" appt.

Take it easy pal, I simply asked you to reflect on the statement and consider how this might apply to psychiatry and the nature of the problems, crises, needs of the populations you will be working with. Maybe Im over interpreting it, but maybe im not, im not sure. However, you are right, the face wasnt necessary, my apologies.

haha if thats true then no big deal, its all good....just miscommunication.

Just for the sake of argument, suppose doing a full day of med checks per day paid you 20% LESS than a full day of 1-hr psychotherapy appts. Would you still think a practice of only med checks is fun?

Some pts can have a competent med check in 10 min, esp if I know the pt well, things are going really well, no questions, no problems, etc. But that's fairly rare. If I saw a pt who needed no more than 10 min twice in a row and we have no expectation to taper or stop any of the meds, I need to strongly consider closing the case and letting the PCP take over prescribing - with an invitation to return any time things start going wrong, maybe with an annual "consult" appt.

Thanks so much for your response. If you don't mind answering, what is, in your opinion, the best amount of time to use for "med check" slots in your practice, so that your patient gets the most benefit, while remaining efficient? 20 minutes?

And to answer your initial question: it would definitely be less fun if that were the case. Because no matter what you are doing, at the end of the day, its still a job. But if they paid equally, I'd prefer the stimulation of short 15-20 minute visits over extended ones.

Thanks so much for your response. If you don't mind answering, what is, in your opinion, the best amount of time to use for "med check" slots in your practice, so that your patient gets the most benefit, while remaining efficient? 20 minutes?

And to answer your initial question: it would definitely be less fun if that were the case. Because no matter what you are doing, at the end of the day, its still a job. But if they paid equally, I'd prefer the stimulation of short 15-20 minute visits over extended ones.

The best amount of time depends on the patient's acuity--I have pt's that are literally in and out of the door in 5 minutes, stable, doing well, no major life changes, see-you-in-6-months, but they'll be followed by someone not sleeping, having side effects, passive SI, and going through all manner of psychosocial hell. They're both scheduled for 20 minutes, but the billing for the first one is 90862 and for the second 99214, to reflect the variance in time and complexity. The question is--how do you expect to know in advance which is which? When do you plan to do your documentation? And how are you going to get these patients into your practice in the first place?

Wow, you must be at Harvard. LOL sorry Harvard people, that was an unfair jab. Just had an intern out of Harvard who talked to nurses EXACTLY like this guy talked to erg. Total douche.

Seth, when you graduate residency, hit me up. I definitely want a guy like you taking care of me. Keep up the attitude and the disdain for patients and "health" staff, you will have a thriving practice and a very happy life. Everyone will love you.

:rolleyes: OK to roll my eyes because I'm not a "health" student, right?

If I saw a pt who needed no more than 10 min twice in a row and we have no expectation to taper or stop any of the meds, I need to strongly consider closing the case and letting the PCP take over prescribing - with an invitation to return any time things start going wrong, maybe with an annual "consult" appt.

What would be wrong with keeping this patient permanently so long as they need medications regardless of how easy his consults may become? Why bounce the patient back to a PCP who probably bounced him to you since they didn't know how to or want to deal with his psych issues/meds?

I only think ten minute med checks are appropriate if the doctor knows the patient well including the psychosocial dynamics, and the person is stable on their medications, and the person is stable.

E.g. someone who has an anxiety disorder, is stabilized on the medication, they are happy on that medication, and all other non-biological factors have been appropriately dealt with.

Otherwise the situation demands the doctor get more information than can be given in 10 minutes. Even in the above situation, I'd still on occasion would want to talk to the patient just to touch base on what's going on with their life, and make sure I'm not missing anything.

10 minutes isn't so much time. Where I do outpatient, I spend about 5 minutes just getting the patient into my door, and rechecking the past information, and reacquainting myself with the case. I spend 5 minutes typing the notes down and writing a script.

Anytime you change meds, you need to explain the benefits and side effects of the meds, and seeing that patient afterwards, you are supposed to gauge the improvements, side effects, benefit/side effect + risk ratio, talk to the patient about their opinions on it, and go from there. It'll take me 2-3 outpatient sessions in general to get a new patient to a regimen we're both happy with, spending at least 30 minutes for each session.

If your experience is doctors just throwing a pill at you and give a typical "see you", that really just smacks to me of a doctor who doesn't give a damn. Of course that might not be the case. I wasn't there, I didn't get a chance to see the other doctor work, but I've seen that happen too much in real life.

$125 for a ten minute med check IMHO is unethically overcharging, unless there's something about that person's skills that are just so over the top, or there's such an overdemand for that specific psychiatrist..though I doubt it. The better the psychiatrist, the more likely the psychiatrist will not reduce appointments to simple 10 minute med checks.

It actually makes me wonder if that doctor is doing the 10 minute med check, but is unethically claiming to see the patient for a longer period of time such as 30 or 60 minutes which would be fraud.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
$125 for a ten minute med check IMHO is unethically overcharging, unless there's something about that person's skills that are just so over the top

Maybe they feel

4 years of undergrad + 4 years of med school + 4 years of residency

makes them deserving of charging that for their service. Health care whether we like it or not is a business.

I don't do "med checks". The smallest slot I have is 30 min and I bill 90805s, for which I charge $110. Sometimes it only takes 20 minutes (it doesn't take less or I couldn't bill the 90805), but the time is there in case the patient needs it, which is good for their well-being and my sanity. I couldn't imagine being consistently effective with 10 minutes slots. I imagine what would happen is I'd either be doing a thoroughly crappy job and be liable for malpractice or else I'd be running consistently late every single day, stress myself out, and frustrate all my patients sitting out there in the waiting room looking at their watches.

Health care whether we like it or not is a business.

Of course, it might not be for long if there are enough people with this attitude who wish to exploit an inefficient market.

How long it takes you train to do something doesn't make the thing you do more valuable. There are valid reasons why we as a society opt to overpay physicians relative to the value of the services they provide (even Adam Smith said it made sense to overpay doctors and lawyers, as the value of having these professions in high social esteem prevents their kind from inescapably dangerous corruption). But there's a difference between simply "reasonably overpaying" and unethically exploiting patients.

Wow, you must be at Harvard. LOL sorry Harvard people, that was an unfair jab. Just had an intern out of Harvard who talked to nurses EXACTLY like this guy talked to erg. Total douche.

Seth, when you graduate residency, hit me up. I definitely want a guy like you taking care of me. Keep up the attitude and the disdain for patients and "health" staff, you will have a thriving practice and a very happy life. Everyone will love you.

:rolleyes: OK to roll my eyes because I'm not a "health" student, right?

whoa, take it easy there killer

I am just a straight to the point type of guy, and I don't know if I'd enjoy long, drawn out 30 minute or 1 hour appointments.
I am not trying to be critical at all, but if you do feel that way about long patient interactions you may want to really think about if you would be satisfied in psychiatry. For someone who just wants to get right to the point and doesn't like taking a long history from patients, something like working in an urgent care might be a lot less frustrating.

Even general family medicine might be better since you could tell patients "One problem per appointment" when they start to ramble. Many FM style problems are easier to solve with a quick prescription or simple reassurance than the kinds of issues (and demands) that psychiatric patients have.

I have been working in a family medicine clinic during my internship. The FM clinic gets a lot of the very simple, straightforward psych follow up issues you seem to prefer - med checks for well controlled ADHD and anxiety/depression.
In contrast, the patients who wind up seeing psychiatrists are usually people that the FM docs decided were too complicated for them to handle in the FM clinic and referred away, so in most cases I think the psych patients will need more of your time.

During a psych residency, you are pretty much guaranteed to have to spend a long time trying to learn the story of people who frequently aren't easy to talk to or get info from. You'll have depressed who can organize their thoughts but speak very slowly and manic patients who you will have to keep redirecting back to your question as they keep running off on wild tangents.

A while back I was involved in caring for a schizophrenic patient who would repeatedly have one of the other staff seek me out anytime I was on the unit so I could "answer a question" for the patient, but then when I went to see the patient the patient had thought blocking and was unable to come up with what they wanted to say.

Things like that could be extremely frustrating for someone who doesn't enjoy prolonged interactions that are not well structured.

I am not trying to be critical at all, but if you do feel that way about long patient interactions you may want to really think about if you would be satisfied in psychiatry. For someone who just wants to get right to the point and doesn't like taking a long history from patients, something like working in an urgent care might be a lot less frustrating.

Even general family medicine might be better since you could tell patients "One problem per appointment" when they start to ramble. Many FM style problems are easier to solve with a quick prescription or simple reassurance than the kinds of issues (and demands) that psychiatric patients have.

I have been working in a family medicine clinic during my internship. The FM clinic gets a lot of the very simple, straightforward psych follow up issues you seem to prefer - med checks for well controlled ADHD and anxiety/depression.
In contrast, the patients who wind up seeing psychiatrists are usually people that the FM docs decided were too complicated for them to handle in the FM clinic and referred away, so in most cases I think the psych patients will need more of your time.

During a psych residency, you are pretty much guaranteed to have to spend a long time trying to learn the story of people who frequently aren't easy to talk to or get info from. You'll have depressed who can organize their thoughts but speak very slowly and manic patients who you will have to keep redirecting back to your question as they keep running off on wild tangents.

A while back I was involved in caring for a schizophrenic patient who would repeatedly have one of the other staff seek me out anytime I was on the unit so I could "answer a question" for the patient, but then when I went to see the patient the patient had thought blocking and was unable to come up with what they wanted to say.

Things like that could be extremely frustrating for someone who doesn't enjoy prolonged interactions that are not well structured.

I appreciate your response. But the thing is, I don't find a lot of FM issues that interesting. And I don't want to have to deal with simple, straightforward issues...what I said was I just like dealing with things in a straightforward manner. So basically I'd prefer the challenge of dealign with a complicated, psychiatric based issue (so that most of the time would be spent talking ...which i prefer...instead of examining or doing procedures) in a straightforward manner, in 15-20 minutes. Versus spending all day doing long psychotherapy type sessions. I just find psych issues more real, more interesting. My attention span gets extremely sharp/interest level shoots through the roof when patients in an FM clinic or pediatrics clinic start talking about their depression, or getting bullied in school, vs. their runny nose or chest pains. With every psych doc I shadowed, I had a blast...and time just flew. However, the only parts of their day I was able to shadow them were the 15-min appointment parts though (couldnt shadow them during pschotherapy or evaluations or things like that due to privacy issues)...so maybe I had too much of a partial look at the field.

But thanks for your response though, I will have to try to shadow some more academic docs and residents to get a broader view of the field.

Last edited:

?

1. There's a difference between revenue and income- If you collected $750 per hour you'd be lucky to take home $650 per hour after expenses are paid.

2. In the real world, a med check is closer to 15 minutes than 10 minutes for most psychiatrists.

3. In private practice, most patients are going to demand more time (though you may be able to get away with less time if you are handing out benzos like candy).

4. 15 minute med checks are feasible in community mental health centers, but in this case you would likely be paid an hourly salary.

Take this with a grain of salt; I don't practice general psychiatry any more.

Generally, what do insurances reimburse for a med check? What about medicare?

I know some pediatricians who see 10-12 patients an hour (yes ridiculous amount). I know some FP's who see 6-8 patients an hour. Is it really that out of line if a psychiatrist saw 6 med checks an hour for half his day?

I know some pediatricians who see 10-12 patients an hour (yes ridiculous amount).
I can't believe that number. 5 minutes per patient? That's barely enough time to get a chief complaint. I don't buy it anyone doing an office visit in 5 minutes, even if you had absolutely no concern about patient safety/satisfaction.

I can't believe that number. 5 minutes per patient? That's barely enough time to get a chief complaint. I don't buy it anyone doing an office visit in 5 minutes, even if you had absolutely no concern about patient safety/satisfaction.

It can be done if you aren't worried about pt safety and satisfaction. It doesn't take any time to get a chief complaint if you use what the nurse wrote down as the chief complaint.

It can be done if you aren't worried about pt safety and satisfaction. It doesn't take any time to get a chief complaint if you use what the nurse wrote down as the chief complaint.
Oi, that's sad to hear...

Well, if there were a specialty in which seeing 10-12 cases per hour would be possible, it probably would be acute peds clinic, as long as you had a few really experienced nurses also working.
Yeah, it makes sense. I would think that in order to do race through that kind of volume, you'd have quite the overhead.

...So basically I'd prefer the challenge of dealign with a complicated, psychiatric based issue (so that most of the time would be spent talking ...which i prefer...instead of examining or doing procedures) in a straightforward manner, in 15-20 minutes....
I can tell you right now, that if you have a "complicated" patient, you're lucky if you get them out the door in 30-40 minutes. My absolutely shortest visits are 15 minutes, before I am done screening all the areas of their function I monitor. When people's life are in chaos, 40-50 minutes just to clarify what they need is not uncommon.

So if you want 10-minute visits, I suggest you get the heck out of behavioral health in a real hurry.

..4. 15 minute med checks are feasible in community mental health centers, but in this case you would likely be paid an hourly salary..
The only time a 15 min check is consistently feasible is with stable ADHD partients, where the nurse does the height, weight and write the script for your signature before they come into your office.

I can tell you right now, that if you have a "complicated" patient, you're lucky if you get them out the door in 30-40 minutes. My absolutely shortest visits are 15 minutes, before I am done screening all the areas of their function I monitor. When people's life are in chaos, 40-50 minutes just to clarify what they need is not uncommon.

So if you want 10-minute visits, I suggest you get the heck out of behavioral health in a real hurry.

So how are private practice psychiatrists salaries in the $180,000-$200,000 range (I know this might be somewhat variable). Making $400-$500 a day doesn't get you there.

I don't get it.

So how are private practice psychiatrists salaries in the $180,000-$200,000 range (I know this might be somewhat variable). Making $400-$500 a day doesn't get you there.
Check your math. $500/day adds up to $125K/year.

A $100/hour rate at 40 hours/wk and 50 wks/yr comes to $200K. You probably won't bill 40 hours/wk, but you can also bill over $100/hr. Yes, there's overhead, but $200K/yr is realistic in the right market with the right work ethic.

Originally Posted by kugel
If I saw a pt who needed no more than 10 min twice in a row and we have no expectation to taper or stop any of the meds, I need to strongly consider closing the case and letting the PCP take over prescribing - with an invitation to return any time things start going wrong, maybe with an annual "consult" appt.

What would be wrong with keeping this patient permanently so long as they need medications regardless of how easy his consults may become? Why bounce the patient back to a PCP who probably bounced him to you since they didn't know how to or want to deal with his psych issues/meds?

I work for county mental health. When I'm working at an outpt clinic, I don't keep pts who don't clearly need a specialist anymore, because there's such an unmet need. Pt's in desperate need wait 3-10 weeks for a new pt appt. I can't keep stable pts on my schedule, even if they only take up 1 visit per 3 months. Even if I worked in private practice, I don't think I'd keep such pts. But then, I did choose to work in public health and never wanted to work private practice, so I can't really tell you what I'd do in private practice.

If you like "right to the point" psychiatry, consider Emergency Psychiatry. Complicated, intense, unstable patients, but no expectation of sitting around chatting. In a 12-hour shift, I see about 12 new patients per day, plus about 3-5 re-evaluations from last shift - because of the intensity, complexity, severity, and because of the seriousness of the consequences (most of the people that come in have imminent Danger to Self/Others as part of the issue). Plus, the paperwork and additional phone calls, etc, takes 20-30 min to complete. So the pt interview averages about 20 min., but that's for a new pt, in crisis, unstable, no history previously known, usu. with drugs/alcohol involved in some way. Given that people come in (often in handcuffs), angry, psychotic, intoxicated or withdrawing - it can be a very "exciting" place. I make ~$200k/year for 40 hr per week with county benefits, seems slightly above avg in So Cal for this work.

Check your math. $500/day adds up to $125K/year.

Exactly. Do you want to be making 125k a year? Not me...which means psychiatrists have to bill at a higher rate or see more patients per day to make an income they deem appropriate. Neither one of those options seem viable to some here.

So again, why is a $125 10 minute med check unethically overcharging?

I really don't know so any enlightenment is welcomed.

I work for county mental health. When I'm working at an outpt clinic, I don't keep pts who don't clearly need a specialist anymore, because there's such an unmet need. Pt's in desperate need wait 3-10 weeks for a new pt appt.
I refer back ASAP as well. My new patient wait time is about 3 months at this time. When patient finally filter down to me, the regular options have all failed, and they're a mess. My job is to get them stable, on their feet and back to a job with insurance. In my clinic, the medicaid patients are the GOOD payer source, right now I run a 1/3 sliding-scale/self-pay population, 50% medicaid/medicare, and the rest have some form of insurance. And the latter are the worst that take all the time. I would cry no tears over insurance companies going the way of the dinosaurs and everybody being on medicaid. At least they can get medications. But typically check them over in 15 minutes? Not a chance.

I've heard of several psychiatrists that work online in their spare time and make an addition 50-60K/ year.

I've heard of several psychiatrists that work online in their spare time and make an addition 50-60K/ year.

doing psychiatry related work (like telepsychiatry)? Or do u mean since their schedules are relatively predictable, they use their down time by pursuing other business interests? ...like having an e-bay business on the side (just read about a part-time FM doc who makes 120k/yr in her e-bay business).

Exactly. Do you want to be making 125k a year?
No, you're missing my point. I'm not saying psychiatrists make $125K/year, I'm wondering where you're getting psychiatrists earning $500/day.

The only time a 15 min check is consistently feasible is with stable ADHD partients, where the nurse does the height, weight and write the script for your signature before they come into your office.

Also possible for stable schizophrenics.

My style was ( and still is in my current specialty of sleep medicine) to see patients for shorter visits, but more frequently.

When I was still doing psych, I would typically see a schizophrenic monthly for 15 minutes rather than a 45 minute visit every 3 months.

Last edited:
Exactly. Do you want to be making 125k a year? Not me...which means psychiatrists have to bill at a higher rate or see more patients per day to make an income they deem appropriate. Neither one of those options seem viable to some here.

I really don't know so any enlightenment is welcomed.

I wouldn't necessarily call it unethical, but $125 for a 10 med check does seem a little high. Assuming we are talking about actual payments/collections and not charges, I personally wouldn't recommend over $100 for a 10 minute med check

I don't like to give out how much I'm making, and I'm a fellow this year, but I have the opportunity to make over 230K doing outpatient at a place just working 40 hrs a week. Of course that's not the situation now because I'm a fellow.

I'm moonlighting at that place now. I spend about 30 minutes per patient. Do I do 10 minute med checks? Sort of. Some of my patients are stable, and I've already spent 2-4 sessions over half an hour getting to know them, and they feel very stable on their meds. This is about 1/3 of my patients. These same patients don't really want to talk much even though I invite them to do so.

However I do allot 1/2 an hour even for these patients. Its that these patients are electing to only spend 10 minutes because they feel fine, and don't want to talk more. Instead of seeing them monthly, I'm considering pushing up the next visits to 2-3 months later instead of monthly.

You really do need to give patients the option of wanting to spend more than ten minutes. If you push them in and out of the door, you're not going to do a great job.

Misdiagnosis in outpatient is already at substantially high levels in studies. You're going to increase your rate of misdiagnosis with 10 minute checks.

There has to be a point where the money is not so much important as the quality of the work you're doing. Yes, we all want to make more, but at >200K a year, I'm not going to focus on the money aspect, and I'd focus on the quality aspect. If I were making $125 a year, I'd still focus on the quality aspect, but in the meantime, while I'm not at work, I'd be looking for a higher paying job.

I've come to a personal decision about the work I do. I will not do mediocre work. I will always try to do my best. If a place is not paying me enough, or not giving me enough respect, I will leave that place before I passive aggressively do shoddy work. I've seen attendings do that while I was in residency, and seeing patients needlessly suffer because of their laziness. I will not do that type of work, and to do so is a violation of my Oath.

Its as much as personal mark for my ego as it is good business sense. Wherever you practice the world will be smaller than you think. Psychiatry even in a large metropolitan area is limited to a few hundred psychiatrists. Your rep will follow you if you do bad work. In smaller areas, you could be only one of dozens if not the only one in the county. You do bad work to get out of the door or make more money, people will remember you--and spread your rep around. It has paid off. I only got recommended the moonlighting gig because the fellow who had it before me thought I did excellent work. Before I started, he gave me a high recommendation. Another doctor at the state facility I worked at last year has given me the opportunity to work with him in his private practice and take a major and profitable role in that practice. He did not offer this to any other doctor at the facility.

From personal experience, I have seen lazy doctors professionally hurt. I often whine and complain of lazy doctors being able to get away with poor work. That's true due to the shortage of psychiatrists, but its also true that some of my fellow residents would not be hired from our program due to their poor work, I've seen attendings do poor work and be denied promotions, or lose positions. Even a bad doctor will be able to find work, but they will most likely not get choice jobs or respect.

By the way, Seth03 did give me the information on the specific doctor who is charging $125 for medchecks.
1) this doctor is located in an area where psychiatrists are in a severe short supply
2) this is that doctor's private practice, any person could opt to not go there
3) the 10 minute med check is an option the person could take. They could also opt for longer sessions.

It is a possibility that this particular doctor is also on the order of one of those doctors of the higher quality to merit this type of work. E.g. Henry Nasrallah, the editor in chief of Current Psychiatry privately sees extremely hard to solve cases. He will tackle these cases for a fee. I don't know the amount, but he does incredibly excellent work. E.g. he'll be able to solve cases where 6 psychiatrists all tried and failed. His expertise is definitely on the order where he can charge a higher fee than the typical psychiatrist.

Several doctors that are able to charge much more than the typical psychiatrist are able to do so because the quality of the work they do is significantly higher than the standard of care. You'll only be able to get there by doing the best work possible, and have years of experience and training over the norm.

My point is don't expect to practice doing 10 minute med checks a day as if that's it. There's much more to good practice. If its really just about the money, this was not the field to enter.

Last edited:
I agree with a lot of what Whopper says.

---

Much depends on what type of practice setting you are in- salaried employee, private practice taking insurance or private practice cash only

In a cash only practice, the length of appts doesn't matter from a business standpoint- you will collect twice as much from seeing a pt for 30 minutes as you do for 15 minutes and everything balances out.

If you are billing E and M codes and taking insurance, the incentive is to see as many patients as possible in as short as time as possible.

You got to find the right balance for you and your patients, and practice good psychiatry.

Many of the psychiatrists in my area are cash only, and give you a receipt to submit to your insurance co. Those that take insurance usually don't take medicare and medicaid- those patients have to go to the Community mental health center.

If you can see four patients in an hour, with some being more complicated than others, plus do decent documentation and respond to phone calls from patients/pharmacies, etc, you'll be busy as hell. You could probably do that 6 or MAYBE 7 hours a day, excluding hospital rounds, lunch break, and other administrative crap. Seeing 25 patients a day in the office is a lot of work. If you cut your appointments down below about 10-15 minutes, you won't have many satisfied patients. You will come off seeming uncaring, and they won't come back.

If you can see four patients in an hour, with some being more complicated than others, plus do decent documentation and respond to phone calls from patients/pharmacies, etc, you'll be busy as hell. You could probably do that 6 or MAYBE 7 hours a day, excluding hospital rounds, lunch break, and other administrative crap. Seeing 25 patients a day in the office is a lot of work. If you cut your appointments down below about 10-15 minutes, you won't have many satisfied patients. You will come off seeming uncaring, and they won't come back.

It takes approx 1 minute to dictate a f/u note. It's possible to run a practice so you don't have too many phone calls ( or at least make it so the doctor isn't the person calling back). In a cash practice you probably can't cut down the appts that much (and there's no need to), if you take insurance the patients don't have that much choice.

It takes approx 1 minute to dictate a f/u note..
Not a good note that can show changes over time and track the effects of medications. I have seen the brief notes in patients referred to me. They are useless and a waste of my time. I end up calling the providers and asking for clarification, and I ask about every med in the notes if not clarified. So unless you want to spend an unbillable 30 min on the phone with me, make sure your notes are meaningful.

Not a good note that can show changes over time and track the effects of medications. I have seen the brief notes in patients referred to me. They are useless and a waste of my time. I end up calling the providers and asking for clarification, and I ask about every med in the notes if not clarified. So unless you want to spend an unbillable 30 min on the phone with me, make sure your notes are meaningful.
I like you. :love:

My notes are good- I can dictate a lot in 1 minute. If any doctor gave me a hassle about my referrals, I would quickly stop referring to them. What kind of practice situation are you in that you can hassle the docs that refer to you????

Last edited:
My notes are good- I can dictate a lot in 1 minute. And with your attitude, I would hang up on you and wouldn't refer any more patients to you (or accept any from you)
Really? I cannot believe that one-minute dictations give a pattern of effect of medications over time. And I am VERY disturbed over your attitude, as it indicates less that strong commitment to your patients. I am frankly bothered by this.

Really? I cannot believe that one-minute dictations give a pattern of effect of medications over time. And I am VERY disturbed over your attitude, as it indicates less that strong commitment to your patients. I am frankly bothered by this.

Just because he was annoyed by something you said (and you started it with that pushy response [post 44] to his post) doesn't mean that HIS attitude is bad. You are the one that started it, he pushed back a little bit, and now you are acting like he is the one with the problem.

And why would u judge him as having "less than strong commitment" to his patients, over a response that u didnt agree with. You haven't even seen the guy practice.

Just because he was annoyed by something you said (and you started it with that pushy response [post 44] to his post) doesn't mean that HIS attitude is bad. You are the one that started it, he pushed back a little bit, and now you are acting like he is the one with the problem.
Reality is the issue of patient care and making sure that events in your patient's life is well-documented so future treatment is compromised. And I have had plenty of notes that shows disregard for that care.
And why would u judge him as having "less than strong commitment" to his patients, over a response that u didnt agree with. You haven't even seen the guy practice.
If I have a question about a patient of his and he hangs up on me, then yes I judge his commitment to the patient..

Just to spell it out, the way the initial question was phased was off putting to me (and obvioulsy im not the only one). I'm sure you have realized by now, but it reeks of "how many patients (ie., how much money) can i make in a day with the least amount of human interaction possible." I did not hear any consideration of the many many factors that are unique to this population that might make that interaction style contraindicative and/or ineffective. Hence why i suggested you reflect on the statement. Again, it seemed to be asking how much can I shove into one day with the minimum amount of attention to each case. Not sure if psychiatry is very fitting to that mentality. Consideration of your referral base and bedside manner are important here, as a patient who doesn't come back is also revenue thats lost, no?

You might ask yourself how a patient would react to seeing that question...and if you were the one in world of pain and mental anguish, would you want to go to you?