How Old Were You/Will You Be When You Start Medical (Other Professional) School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How old were you/will you be when you matriculate(d) into professional school?

• 22 or younger

Votes: 20 3.3%

Votes: 16 2.6%

Votes: 27 4.4%

Votes: 40 6.6%

Votes: 52 8.5%

Votes: 41 6.7%

Votes: 81 13.3%

Votes: 51 8.4%

Votes: 54 8.9%

Votes: 38 6.2%

Votes: 27 4.4%

Votes: 26 4.3%

Votes: 23 3.8%

Votes: 12 2.0%

Votes: 9 1.5%

Votes: 15 2.5%

Votes: 5 0.8%

Votes: 10 1.6%

Votes: 14 2.3%

Votes: 13 2.1%

Votes: 4 0.7%

Votes: 4 0.7%

Votes: 6 1.0%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 46 or older

Votes: 16 2.6%

• Total voters

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please vote for the age when you actually matriculated into medical or other professional school, or the age you anticipate being when you matriculate into said school.

Members don't see this ad.

If all goes well, hopefully 33. :D

Isn't this making the assumption that we A) get in, and B) get in the first time we apply? :xf:

Edit: Despite what I wrote I foolishly checked my current age. sigh. Time for me to go to sleep. Add two years to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't this making the assumption that we A) get in, and B) get in the first time we apply? :xf:
I would say yes to both. Why be pessimistic? You know what you have to do to improve your chances; that's why you're here, right?

Edit: Despite what I wrote I foolishly checked my current age. sigh. Time for me to go to sleep. Add two years to it.
If you tell me how old you are, I can change your vote. :)

Edit: NM, you already posted before that you are 28. I will change your vote to 30.

I would say yes to both. Why be pessimistic? You know what you have to do to improve your chances; that's why you're here, right?

If you tell me how old you are, I can change your vote. :)

Edit: NM, you already posted before that you are 28. I will change your vote to 30.

Aren't you the observant reader? :D

I wouldn't say I was being pessimistic. Perhaps I'm overly skeptical, lol.

Thanks for fixing my boo boo, btw.

Oh, and do you graduate this year, or have you already?

Yes!

I made into the right, flatter side of the bell curve.

Hey. Old people.

While on the subject of this geriatric survey. How many of you are struggling with the whole internet 2.0 thing.

I feel like a gopher. Popping it's head nervously from it's subterranean comfort zone before ducking down again. I mean. I just got a handle on then email and everthing. SDN. Shopping online for things. Craigslist. You know. <<There's some freaks on there man. I mean. I've heard.

But now. I'm trying to use my facebook account to network with my future classmates and I'm just all sorts of wtf?

I log in. And there's all sorts of conversations going on that have nothing to do with me. That I feel maybe shouldn't.

How do people get so comfortable living in a fishbowl like that.

Any of you OG's face similar awkwardness?

Aren't you the observant reader? :D

I wouldn't say I was being pessimistic. Perhaps I'm overly skeptical, lol.

Thanks for fixing my boo boo, btw.

Oh, and do you graduate this year, or have you already?
I try to be observant, and sometimes I even succeed. ;)

You're welcome for fixing your boo boo. :laugh:

I'll be matriculating as an MS4 this year and graduating in 2011.

I try to be observant, and sometimes I even succeed. ;)

You're welcome for fixing your boo boo. :laugh:

I'll be matriculating as an MS4 this year and graduating in 2011.

Oh, ok. I've seen you recently speak of residency issues as if it were upcoming. I was about to wish you congratulations and good luck with your match. Now, I won't. :p

Oh, ok. I've seen you recently speak of residency issues as if it were upcoming. I was about to wish you congratulations and good luck with your match. Now, I won't. :p
I'm speaking about residency issues as if it were upcoming because it *is* upcoming. Just like you have to apply to med school a year early, you have to apply for residency a year early as well--I'm getting ready to apply for residency as we speak.

This year's grads have already matched. The next allo match is in March 2011, and that's the one I'll be entered in. So you can still wish me luck for the match. :)

How do people get so comfortable living in a fishbowl like that.

Any of you OG's face similar awkwardness?

OG I am probably not. But.

Privacy settings. Your friend. Watch the fish from the outside of the bowl. Like the cat.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm speaking about residency issues as if it were upcoming because it *is* upcoming. Just like you have to apply to med school a year early, you have to apply for residency a year early as well--I'm getting ready to apply for residency as we speak.

This year's grads have already matched. The next allo match is in March 2011, and that's the one I'll be entered in. So you can still wish me luck for the match. :)

Well, congrats and good luck then Q! :clap:

Got your aways set up Q?
I think so. I've been confirmed by the dept. but still waiting to hear back from the med school. Until I do, I'm not going to go getting housing just yet.... :hungover:

How about you? Have you moved? When does orientation start?

Well, congrats and good luck then Q! :clap:
Thanks. :)

I'm leaving 6/9 for Michigan. Orientation starts 6/14. My family should be joining me two weeks later when the kids are done with school and the house is all packed up.

I'm leaving 6/9 for Michigan. Orientation starts 6/14. My family should be joining me two weeks later when the kids are done with school and the house is all packed up.
Awesome, I'm really excited for you. But please don't totally disappear from SDN once you start internship, ok? :)

I just realized I voted incorrectly. I will be 24 going on 25 (I, for some reason, clicked 25). I hope this isn't some bad omen about not getting into medical school this year (God forbid :scared:). Q, if you can change my answer, I would be very grateful.

I am looking forward to being optimistic, and getting accepted this year :D

I just realized I voted incorrectly. I will be 24 going on 25 (I, for some reason, clicked 25). I hope this isn't some bad omen about not getting into medical school this year (God forbid :scared:). Q, if you can change my answer, I would be very grateful.
Changed one 25 to a 24. :)

I am looking forward to being optimistic, and getting accepted this year :D
Best of luck. :luck:

If everything works out, I'll be 29 when I start med school.

The ER nurse asked me last night if I was old enough to drink and I nearly fell over laughing.

I'm 28 and starting med school this August. Looks like I'm in good company :)

I'll be 26, I guess that's old? :-/

Age, is just a state of mind.

I'm curious what the age split is between male/female posters on here is..

Last edited:
I'll be 28 since I switched to a major that is taking me an extra year. At least I'm happier in this major ;)

Those of you who picked 22 or 23 know what "nontrad" means, don't you? Even 24 is really pushing it... thats like taking year off after undergrad before applying.

Those of you who picked 22 or 23 know what "nontrad" means, don't you? Even 24 is really pushing it... thats like taking year off after undergrad before applying.

:sigh:

This has been beaten to death, so let me just summarize:

Age != nontrad.

You can have different paths to medicine and still be young. Otherwise this forum would have been called the Geezer Pre-Meds, not non-traditional.

Yes, typically nontraditionals are older students, but this is NOT hard-and-fast.

There are [thread=722725]plenty[/thread] of younger folks out there who are close the average age, but are far from the average applicant.

I root them on, and so should you.

:sigh:

This has been beaten to death, so let me just summarize:

Age != nontrad.

You can have different paths to medicine and still be young. Otherwise this forum would have been called the Geezer Pre-Meds, not non-traditional.

Okay, I apologize if my previous post came of harsh.

How can your path to MS be nontrad if you completed a 4 year degree in 4 or 5 years? I just don't see it. Can I get some examples?

Okay, I apologize if my previous post came of harsh.

How can your path to MS be nontrad if you completed a 4 year degree in 4 or 5 years? I just don't see it. Can I get some examples?

No problem.

Well, the one that comes to mind is having a child at a very young age. Being a teenage or college-age parent is far from 'traditional' - your life experiences are completely different even though you may be the same age as a standard student. I am sure there are other examples, but this is possibly the clearest one I can think of. And there are indeed active members of this forum who self-identify as 'nontraditional' because of this.

26 now but I'll be 27 in July so technically I'll be 28 when I start Med School, assuming I'll get in for 2011. I feel like I'm 100 taking Ochem with a bunch of 19yr olds but I'm glad there are others out there.

:D Here's to being old!

26 now but I'll be 27 in July so technically I'll be 28 when I start Med School, assuming I'll get in for 2011. I feel like I'm 100 taking Ochem with a bunch of 19yr olds but I'm glad there are others out there.

:D Here's to being old!

I feel your pain! I'm 26 and was in an intro bio 2 class last semester with 18 year olds. I graduated from college before they were even in high school. Any time I tell them how old I am, they're like, "OMG, really?! WOW! You don't look that old". Gee, thanks. :rolleyes:

30 is the new 20. Keep in mind that start med school at 28 is not old. You probably have a lot of experience and know why you are in med school. Good luck

30 is the new 20.

:eek:

Crap. I'm 28 and already have trouble staying up over 16 hours have "two clicks of astigmatism," an achey knee, and the occasional sacroilitis. Forty sure isn't gonna be pretty. :(

But I'm a healthy beast otherwise. ;) :D

I feel your pain! I'm 26 and was in an intro bio 2 class last semester with 18 year olds. I graduated from college before they were even in high school. Any time I tell them how old I am, they're like, "OMG, really?! WOW! You don't look that old". Gee, thanks. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm getting that with some 19 year old kiddies. A girl was talking to me the other day, asked how old I was, and when I told her (I'm 28) her eyes got big as saucers, and she said pretty loudly "dang, you're older than my brother!" Of course my reply was, "how old is he?" She said "he's already 23!"

I'm like ummm yeah I guess I am an old fart. :mad:

Yeah, I'm getting that with some 19 year old kiddies. A girl was talking to me the other day, asked how old I was, and when I told her (I'm 28) her eyes got big as saucers, and she said pretty loudly "dang, you're older than my brother!" Of course my reply was, "how old is he?" She said "he's already 23!"

I'm like ummm yeah I guess I am an old fart. :mad:

LOL! Yeah, I've gotten stuff like this too. 28 now, and will hopefully start in 2011 at 29 years young.

Staying on course.... I should be 29 when I start med school. My daughters will be 9 and 5 and hopefully open minded about starting new schools if I get accepted out of state ;)

Woohoo, 28 is winning! Must be that Quarter Life Crisis phenomenon. You have a sudden shift in identity at 25 and then it takes you a few years to jump through the pre-med hoops.

I was 28, by the way. Three years in I feel about 85 years old...

28, kinda surprised to see i fell in the most popular age bracket... oddly relieving

I will be 36 when I graduate from Osteopathic School next spring. One of the best decisions I ever made! I am going into Family Practice like many other non-traditional students. Already have 6 interviews lined up.

Cheers!

14+ 46 or older votes!

Btw, I'll be 32/33 around then. Hopefully.